Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else from Seattle/PNW feel like our VIN assignments are behind schedule compared to other markets? I'm watching everyone's announcements based on their order date and configuration, and it seems like Seattle is behind schedule. I'd love to be wrong about this!
I think this is mostly a feeling. I'm only ~30 minutes from the factory in Fremont, I know mine will come faster than it would anywhere else in the country, and yet it feels like I just keep watching people who ordered the same day on the east coast or in the midwest getting a VIN assigned before me. There's going to be some variation by region, but so far I'm not convinced there's any pattern. Although, I will say that there's probably a longer wait between VIN assignment and final delivery for people who are further from the production sites, so they may end up getting their car after you even if they get their VIN before you.

I got a insurance quote of $140/month for MYLR W/B/19". I have all my property insurance from them including umbrella coverage. It looks very high comparison to my Nissan is $45/month. Is getting an insurance from TESLA itself is cheaper ? Anybody using TESLA insurance?
Did you see the earlier post that showed Tesla charging $56.07 a month.

To bad Tesla only offers insurance in 12 states. Almost 3 times the price for other insurers seems like rip off to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: jose3030 and DKS37

To bad Tesla only offers insurance in 12 states. Almost 3 times the price for other insurers seems like rip off to me.

The question you need to ask yourself... Will Tesla track the way you drive and raise your rates based on your driving patterns? or possibly wait for you to make a claim then raise your rates.

This has been the biggest adjustment for me in the Tesla buying experience: dealing with these desperate know-nothing influencers simping 24-hrs a day for Tesla itself, or hyping hot garbage from Alibaba at a 6x markup pretending that they're all miracle products. It's honestly much more difficult to get trustworthy useful information about this car than anything else I've driven. The influencer content completely drowns out everything else.
The fact you stuck to calling them "influencers" is already telling.

To me, they're just a "youtuber," after all, they make videos for YT.

I take anything I see with a massive grain of salt and compare what I know (if it applies), no matter who it is.

My experience with PPF is minimal, despite my sister have a clear bra on her BMW (I don't pay enough attention to it).

But there is a simple fact that, putting even a super this plastic layer can lessen potential damage (light scratches) on paint. If you can tear through it, then you've got bigger issues.

And the arguments for paint so far have priced them even higher than PPF... so just these basic details is enough. Is it a "miracle product"? Of course not, how goofed up would you be to even entertain that thought? But does it do its job? Basic reasoning already says "well enough."

You don't like it? That's fine... it should be based on your experience, not your perception of these so-called influencers.

Keep in mind that that is with a perfect safety score of 100 which is not achievable for the vast majority of people, even if they have a perfect driving record. Do you ever need to drive at night? that will lower your score. Do you sometimes enjoy the acceleration that an EV affords when you are getting up to speed on a straight, flat, dry, wide-open freeway ramp? That will also lower your score. If you go 26mph on a 25mph 4-lane wide road, that will impact your score. etc., etc. Just having the feeling that my every move is being watched and evaluated by my insurance overlords is enough for me to avoid Tesla's insurance.

If you wash the car, the dirt should come off. You can also ceramic coat the car where a quick rinse will wash away all the dirt off.
I believe the cost of ceramic coating is included on top of the PPF install (though I don't think the whole car. That has to be something I can do myself, no?
I have to admit that I am not too proud of that :) So I now considering a PPF. I do plan to take the Model Y for some long trips.
Same... I just washed the X1 yesterday because it was pretty bad from the salt on the roads.... it does a really good job at showing how bad the hood and bumper really are LOL

Reactions: Maxpham
Oh Well that narrows it down a little. Thanks, Any thoughts on competitive Idaho insurance offerings?
This is new to me since my other vehicles are all at least 20 years old and just carry liability/ uninsured motorist.

With a new vehicle it just makes sense to pay more and get better coverage. I did reach out to my insurer but they need the VIN and said to take the quote when they "guestimate"
Take it with a grain of salt.

I also posed another question which in the past buying used cars they said you have 3 days to call and add the insurance after a purchase, no worries.
So I asked her what would happen if I bought the car and got into an accident on the way home?
She said I have never been asked that before...

Got a guestimate of $1710 for a year comprehensive/collision, $100 deductible.

Hi -low anyone know?

EDIT so the above comprehensive TESLA provided insurance is $56.07 a month!!!!!
My quote is $142.5 a month, YIKES that is with 5 vehicle discount and No Tickets or claims in over 20 years and also home and property as well..
It's hard to compare ins. I got a quote for Performance model $100 month 500 deduct 100/300k coverage. My current 2018 Corolla is $55 a month, This is in NY. This is a bundle of 2 cars and home clean claim free records for 2 people.

I believe the cost of ceramic coating is included on top of the PPF install (though I don't think the whole car. That has to be something I can do myself, no?

Same... I just washed the X1 yesterday because it was pretty bad from the salt on the roads.... it does a really good job at showing how bad the hood and bumper really are LOL
U right. Ceramic coat on the top of the film, it doesn’t make sense to me. PPF looks shines anyway, don’t spend another $1k on coating which is gonna come off.

Reactions: Spinkick
The fact you stuck to calling them "influencers" is already telling.

To me, they're just a "youtuber," after all, they make videos for YT.

I take anything I see with a massive grain of salt and compare what I know (if it applies), no matter who it is.

My experience with PPF is minimal, despite my sister have a clear bra on her BMW (I don't pay enough attention to it).

But there is a simple fact that, putting even a super this plastic layer can lessen potential damage (light scratches) on paint. If you can tear through it, then you've got bigger issues.

And the arguments for paint so far have priced them even higher than PPF... so just these basic details is enough. Is it a "miracle product"? Of course not, how goofed up would you be to even entertain that thought? But does it do its job? Basic reasoning already says "well enough."

You don't like it? That's fine... it should be based on your experience, not your perception of these so-called influencers.
Man, relax. My comment wasn't about PPF at all, which I think is a good idea for some people in some situations, but not a universal necessity as it is being vigorously marketed. I draw a distinction between YouTubers and influencers. I appreciate and support YouTubers who want to inform and assist, which is what I'm used to in other car communities. There are plenty of Tesla people on youtube pretending to be doing that, while they are in fact trying to make a career out of promoting products and making useless content. In 2023, those people are called influencers, it's not a term I made up. I'm sorry that it triggered you.

Reactions: en9ine and NJ08809

You need to ask your detailer exactly what they are doing to the car. Have them give you an itemized breakdown on what's done and costs. If you are doing PPF and Ceramic Coating, are you doing color correction? When Ceramic Coating you are creating a thin layer of coating on your car. If the paint has a blemish prior to your coating, you will forever see that blemish (Unless your strip the ceramic coating and fix the blemish)

To get it done right you would need to do the following
Color Correction
PPF
Ceramic Coating

This process would need to take at least 3-5 days to be done correctly. You need the PPF to stick to the car which heat is needed. Since we are still in Winter, a heated garage or heat lamps would help. Ceramic Coating also needs a few days to cure onto the surface to the car which also needs heat.

After all set and done, recommendations are washing the car with a neutral PH balance car wash soap each month and pending on the elements, if you are parking your car outside, you would need to spray SiO2 to maintain the hydrophobic properties of the ceramic coating.

Hope this helps you if Ceramic Coating is something you want to do.

Man, relax. My comment wasn't about PPF at all, which I think is a good idea for some people in some situations, but not a universal necessity as it is being vigorously marketed. I draw a distinction between YouTubers and influencers. I appreciate and support YouTubers who want to inform and assist, which is what I'm used to in other car communities. There are plenty of Tesla people on youtube pretending to be doing that, while they are in fact trying to make a career out of promoting products and making useless content. In 2023, those people are called influencers, it's not a term I made up. I'm sorry that it triggered you.
Yeah... you're also one of those that use "triggered" too, eh?

6th Update:

Black/Black MYLR w/ 19"
OD: 1/13
EDD: 1/15-1/22
VIN assignment: 1/13
First Delivery Date: 1/15; Rejected because the MYLR was in terrible shape in exterior, had obviously been rejected by multiple people, had scratches, scrapes all over, Austin Build, PA044xxx VIN.
VIN: Cancelled 1/15 (Rejected delivery in person).
VIN: Same VIN reissued 1/15 and gave me 48 hrs to schedule delivery. Did not reschedule delivery for same PA044xxx VIN obviously.
EDD: 1/17-1/24 as of 6pm 1/17, awaiting (hopefully) new VIN.
EDD: 1/28-2/11 as of Wednesday 1/18 4PM, awaiting hopefully new VIN.
VIN: Assigned, New VIN, PF660xxx, Fremont VIN (Assigned 1/22)
EDD: 2/4-2/11 (Updated 1/22)
TXT: Texted SA 1/27 to ask where my car is and they said it's still in transit from Fremont.
DD: Delivery Date Set, Feb 8-10 was the range available. Set delivery date for Feb 8, Vienna/Tysons Corner Delivery Center
DD: Tysons Corner called and asked if I could pick it up today 2/6. Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, I cannot. I still have 2/8 pickup date.

Reactions: NJ08809
Do you sometimes enjoy the acceleration that an EV affords when you are getting up to speed on a straight, flat, dry, wide-open freeway ramp? That will also lower your score. If you go 26mph on a 25mph 4-lane wide road, that will impact your score. etc., etc.

I am the one that posted the insurance premium on our MY at $56.

You are correct, that is with a 100 safety score. HOWEVER, the above is not how it works. Acceleration and speed do not count against you. You can floor it at every stop light and drive 90mph in a 65mph (or 30mph) zone and you will still have a 100 safety score. That is how it works, we have had it for over a year now. What DOES count against you is tail gating, harsh braking, forward collision warnings, etc (you can read more on the Tesla Insurance site).

It was pretty easy for us to get 97+ in the beginning and now that I know how it works I keep 99-100 all the time. Also, you can have a really bad day and get a 65 safety score for that day, and still have a 99-100 for the month (what your premium is based on). I drive about 1500 miles a month and a 99-100 is pretty easy if you know what "not" to do. Just sharing my experience for others.