Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I ordered the same config on 1/13/23, but have not gotten a VIN, do they usually skip people?
I don't think they are skipping people. It seems that they assigned VINs earlier for people from further locations, like the east coast even they ordered on the same day. It takes more time between the VIN and delivery, while it's very short for the people closer to the plants. So eventually, people placed orders at the same are receiving their cars around the same timeframe. You may get your car sooner than they guys in the northeast like me. It's just from my observation from this post, so may not represent the real situation.

Congrats , Here is hoping it is a nice clean build. Guessing my MYLR5 White/white 19s no tow will be on one of the next couple incoming shipments. Showing EDD end of March 2

Did you happen to notice if most of the cars had Austin or Fremont VINS?
No, I zeroed in on the MSM Ys with white interior and the 2nd one I found happened to be my VIN. I did a quick spot check on the panel gaps, looked at the headlights, and then got back into my car and out of the rain :)

Reactions: 455dan and ghuie32
Over the last 4 quarters, Fremont production has been ~60k MY - so ~4.5k units/week. This would imply double the historical production rate.. Thinking it's either PF674 or the PF666 is older than 1/26.
I’ve confirmed with HQ and local store that my car came off the factory line on 1/26 at 11:40 am.

Now I know VINs are sequential off the line and depending on batching it jumps around a bit, but as you said, a 20k difference in that window is pretty steep.

Reactions: Byce007
I don't think they are skipping people. It seems that they assigned VINs earlier for people from further locations, like the east coast even they ordered on the same day. It takes more time between the VIN and delivery, while it's very short for the people closer to the plants. So eventually, people placed orders at the same are receiving their cars around the same timeframe. You may get your car sooner than they guys in the northeast like me. It's just from my observation from this post, so may not represent the real situation.
Though I wouldn't count on it 100%, I hope it's true. I did see a person with the same od/config/edd as mine but located in Denver (I'm in SoCal) get their vin on 2/5 while I haven't even got mine yet. Hopefully I'll get my vin either this or next week.

Finally got my first text message from Tesla today. It "encourages" me to add more things to my order since the MSRP limit was raised to $80K.

Exerpt from the text (a 510 number):

Hi XXXXXXXX, great news: Model Y orders up to $80K now qualify for the federal tax credit for eligible buyers. If you were considering other paint, wheel, or interior options, select "Edit Design" in your Tesla account to update your configuration.

FYI, Area code 510 serves Oakland, CA and the surrounding areas where the Tesla Fremont factory is located.

• Informative
Reactions: chobra
ahhh thanks for sharing. That would make a lot of sense since I live about 10 minutes from giga texas lol

Reactions: NJ08809
Yes, Tesla does need to move more cars to further locations earlier in the quarter. And those take a couple weeks whereas someone in CA can get the car a few days after it is produced and VIN assigned.

What people on this thread need to prepare themselves for is during the last few weeks of March you will see people in CA getting VINs who ordered many days, maybe even weeks after you did. Tesla will blow through a lot of CA (and sometimes neighboring states) near EOQ as they don't have time to ship further out. Cars will come off the line on March 30th and Tesla will try to get people to come have them delivered at Fremont on March 31st to pad the quarter numbers as much as possible. Those people may jump the line by weeks. This was always a CA thing but I assume this will occur in TX also.

Also people should be prepared that during the first 1-1.5 weeks of a new quarter there are barely any (no?) VINs assigned. So if you don't get a car by end of March, don't expect much EDD or VIN movement till probably after Easter.

Reactions: NJ08809 and Cyclone
Finally got my first text message from Tesla today. It "encourages" me to add more things to my order since the MSRP limit was raised to $80K.

Hi XXXXXXXX, great news: Model Y orders up to $80K now qualify for the federal tax credit for eligible buyers. If you were considering other paint, wheel, or interior options, select "Edit Design" in your Tesla account to update your configuration.

FYI, Area code 510 serves Oakland, CA and the surrounding areas where the Tesla Fremont factory is located.
Maybe people would add more stuff if they would throw in a vin.

Interesting. Lucky to have done the registration and all that was due on the day of the order itself though the SA informed me later that I should have not completed financing since it expires and I would get another hard inquiry if I applied again. I would assume the same would apply to the trade-in though I could be wrong on that.
I realized after completing the financing and trade-in process that there is an expiration date for both and I would have to resubmit both since my EDD i well past the expirations. This means, there will be another hard inquiry and will get updated offers for both. Tesla should be more upfront about such things and if the Edd is late they should not encourage people to complete the process. Not a great start for me in the world of Tesla I must admit.

Over the last 4 quarters, Fremont production has been ~60k MY - so ~4.5k units/week. This would imply double the historical production rate.. Thinking it's either PF674 or the PF666 is older than 1/26.
DBDED109-AE0F-47F2-956B-0B966025DCB3.jpeg

Heck, if I was Tesla I'd send that out too. Many people probably don't follow all of this close enough to even realize they made changes.
We've already seen lots of people on this forum upgrade order options or go to MYP. All more profit for Tesla and some people may be happy to find out as they may have compromised their ideal order to meet the $55K limit.

I replied that I'm concerned my existing EDD would get pushed out if I make any changes. I asked them if there were certain options that would not negatively impact my EDD or even move it up.

They responded the typically performance upgrade delivers sooner, but cannot make any guarantees.