Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't all Tesla's with with non structural battery packs have the VIN on the Pack ID label.?
Seems like a Lot of trouble to place that label at a delivery center ..

Heck even the dash placement of the VIN plate seems a hard to do thing after a windshield install?
As I understand it they aren't physically placing anything at the delivery center. The VINs will be on the cars. They are just assigning it to the customer's RN#. Who knows, the back end may even assign it before it reaches delivery but because of transport uncertainty they may in some cases wait to notify the customer of the VIN.

Reactions: Cyclone
I believe cars are *usually* assigned as they come off the production line and are scheduled for shipment. However, once that happens, it's possible for the order to be canceled. If an order cancellation happens while the vehicle is already in the shipment process, it is probably matched to the next order in line at the destination it is already planned for. So in that case, it's possible for someone to "jump the line" and get a VIN with a very fast delivery date. If no matching orders are found, then the car becomes available in the general inventory of that Tesla location.
Yeah, that may account for the reports of people getting VINs after the car is at the delivery center. It may be that Tesla always assigns VIN when car leaves production and the reports we read are from what you mention. Probably that makes the most sense.

Even my Canadian order had the VIN assigned same day it came off the line.

Getting a default EDD range that corresponds to the current new order EDD range is pretty common in situations where you take an order off hold. But it usually will update in 24-48hrs. There is also a thing where just before some people get assigned a VIN their EDD resets to that generic new order range. Usually if that happens a VIN is assigned within 24hrs. Your SA is correct and her system will show her your soft date so I'm sure you'll have your VIN very soon...probably today.
Perfect! Thanks so much for the info!

Had a call earlier today with the Chicago West Grand Ave location. Below are my updated order details based on that conversation -

1/18 OD
MSM, Black, 19"
2/16 - 3/23 EDD as per the app since the day of order
3/5 or 3/6 EDD is what the expert could see in their system

No VIN assigned yet. They did say that the VIN assignment can raise the chances of an earlier delivery. Hoping to get the VIN within next week 🤞🏼

Anyone knows how risky it could get if we take delivery post 3/1 in regards of the tax credit and the new guidelines that will be declared in March?

Reactions: GigaMike
they definitely ****ed up whatever order system they had got going with all these orders they took. Clearly they are not respecting the order in which they came in.
Any theories as to the method to their order fulfillment? Random number generator? Alphabetical order of the first or last name? ZIP code? Area code? Price? How many times the app is refreshed to check EDD? :)

Reactions: YisPatHere
OD 1/14 (7PM PT) MYLR White Black interior 5 seats
EDD: 2/8-2/17

Hi all, delivery window started today for our MYLR and says the end of it is on the 17th. I still haven’t gotten a VIN yet and am slightly concerned as it’s almost basically about a week out from the 17th. Anyone have a good guess when I’ll get mine? Was hoping for this evening but maybe tomorrow morning (for reference I am very close to the Fremont Plant)
Same situation here. Supposedly the Bay Area VIN assignment is very close to the delivery date because of the minimal logistics needed to get your car from Fremont to your delivery center. I also think they might wait to reveal VINs for local orders so that they have more flexibility to switch to VINs that were previously allocated to other customers who went on hold, were unresponsive, or cancelled their orders, which would be harder to do with orders than need a lot of coordinated transport logistics to get to their destination. They could also use the same strategy to replace VINs for vehicles that failed QC internally but were scheduled to be on a truck to the east coast, that way the other 8 cars that were going on that transport don't get held up. When you think of coordinating hundreds of VINs coming off the line at multiple locations every day, it gets pretty unwieldy pretty fast.

Reactions: pradeep1231
they definitely ****ed up whatever order system they had got going with all these orders they took. Clearly they are not respecting the order in which they came in.
It is certainly not a perfect system but there are a lot of factors that go into the fulfillment order. They run the configurations in batches so that throws off the order. They have to fill trucks and trains with a variety of cars to each destination. So say if a few blue cars are ready to ship on a truck to a given location that truck may need to wait for some white cars and grey cars or whatever before it is filled and can leave.

Tesla also loves EOQ results so they are going to do some amount of prioritization in the first 2 months of a quarter to ship further from the factories and then prioritize the CA and TX orders at the EOQ as they don't have any time to ship them afar.

Reactions: YisPatHere
General comment in relation to sliding EDD's. While this is frustrating, realize that there is no logical human being or even an AI setting your estimated delivery date window. It's just a crude algorithm that isn't even sophisticated enough to consider that if it's 3pm and you still don't have a VIN, you're definitely not taking delivery that day. It's also not updating in real time, there have been times that my EDD window started two days in the past 🤦‍♂️. There are a lot of moving parts to try to account for when setting an EDD, they need to estimate how many people will back out of their orders and make cars available for others, they are contending with changing guidance on the tax credit causing a rush of order changes, then there are cars that get rejected for legitimate reasons and need to be remediated before they can be offered to another customer. I wish they were doing a better job keeping the EDD range reasonable, but don't drive yourself crazy wondering what it's thinking, because it's not thinking.