Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody really knows when it will be or what the guidance will look like compared to what is written in the bill, save for maybe a few staff at the IRS. Almost every article I can find seems to interpret the expected change as going into effect in March, yet this article from Forbes, which is the most thorough I've seen and was clearly written by a person who actually read and understood the IRS white paper, seems to indicate that because of the disruptive nature of the proposed guidance, they expect a 60-day comment period after the guidance is released before anything goes into effect. No guarantee that this person is right, but I think as a corporate tax professional and former law clerk, she makes a compelling argument that there probably won't be any effective change until late spring or early summer. Still, it's a gamble.

Even when it does change, remember that the change is $3750, not the full $7500.
I read in another article that it is already in the "public comment" phase that ends on 28th Feb. My delivery is in March but I am trying my best to get a delivery this Month. $3750 is a lot of money :p

Nobody really knows when it will be or what the guidance will look like compared to what is written in the bill, save for maybe a few staff at the IRS. Almost every article I can find seems to interpret the expected change as going into effect in March, yet this article from Forbes, which is the most thorough I've seen and was clearly written by a person who actually read and understood the IRS white paper, seems to indicate that because of the disruptive nature of the proposed guidance, they expect a 60-day comment period after the guidance is released before anything goes into effect. No guarantee that this person is right, but I think as a corporate tax professional and former law clerk, she makes a compelling argument that there probably won't be any effective change until late spring or early summer. Still, it's a gamble.

Even when it does change, remember that the change is $3750, not the full $7500.
I think it's more likely there will be a 30-60 day period, especially since they highlighted EV adoption during State of the Union just a couple days ago.

It would be really messed up that IRS includes the most popular SUVs as part of the $80k cap (Mach-E, Lyriq, ID.4 and Model Y), the President touts EV adoption, just for the IRS to make virtually all EVs ineligible 45 days later...

I ordered on 24JAN for $54,495. I thought the price increase for the MYLR was 2%. And, sadly, I cannot find that in my color.
On Jan 24, the MSRP should've been $53,490, since it went up $500 that morning. And that means the latest $1500 increase is more like 3% (2.8%).

Your number includes one $1k option... which hasn't changed in price recently and a random $5, since it should end in a 0. If we use that number, then the number is lower... but at 2.7%, it's still more or less 3%.

The MSRP would have to be well over $60k to make it technically round down to 2% (75k to be exactly 2%).

Anyway, using percentages probably isn't that useful right now due to rounding errors.

Reactions: Sohaib89
I think it's more likely there will be a 30-60 day period, especially since they highlighted EV adoption during State of the Union just a couple days ago.

It would be really messed up that IRS includes the most popular SUVs as part of the $80k cap (Mach-E, Lyriq, ID.4 and Model Y), the President touts EV adoption, just for the IRS to make virtually all EVs ineligible 45 days later...
I wouldn't put it past them, since the original $55k limit was imposed at the beginning of the year and somehow differentiating between the 5 seat vs 7 seat MY seemed pretty messed up to me.

Reactions: Sohaib89
I read in another article that it is already in the "public comment" phase that ends on 28th Feb. My delivery is in March but I am trying my best to get a delivery this Month. $3750 is a lot of money :p
If you're really worried, just switch to one of the SR's that just hit inventory everywhere, that will save you even more money and you'll get it asap. They're likely all going to be spoken for by the weekend.

Finally got my delivery date.
MYLR/white/black/20/Austin
OD 1/14 in Los Angeles
EDD Feb 2-Mar 2
VIN assigned 1/29
EDD Feb 9-Feb 16
Feb 8 got text to schedule delivery. Set for 2/13.

It’s getting delivered to my house so I won’t get to walk the lot and inspect it beforehand. Hopefully all is well.
How far are you from the nearest SC? Mine is 65 miles away. I'm hoping I get the home delivery option or, it's a $200 Uber ride. Ordered mine 1/14, no VIN yet.

If you're really worried, just switch to one of the SR's that just hit inventory everywhere, that will save you even more money and you'll get it asap. They're likely all going to be spoken for by the weekend.
Yup thats the plan. I will wait till mid Feb to see if get an updated EDD that hopefully gets pulled up. If not I will switch to an SR. I see a new SR here in Denver inventory every other day.

$13k MSRP reduction + $7.5k tax credit is amazing!

$13k MSRP reduction + $3.75k tax credit is still very good!
I am in it only for the full $7500 credit. Even though Tesla reduced the price by $13k, I personally think the MYLR is not more than $50k worth and would rather opt for a Lexus NX350H which is more luxurious and much better build quality....but that is a discussion for another day.

Reactions: zroger73
I am only in it for for the full $7500 credit. Even though Tesla reduced the price by $13k, I personally think the MYLR is not more than $50k worth and would rather opt for a Lexus NX350H which is more luxurious and much better build quality....but that is a discussion for another day.
I hear ya. I was in the market for a Lexus RX350H - really wish I could take the Lexus interior and put it in the Tesla lol It came down to luxury vs tech and the more I learned about Tesla I (think) I'm ok with going with tech.

Besides, trying to coordinate with all these Lexus dealers, lack of pricing transparency for a build that is bloated with unneeded options helped to seal the deal for Tesla.

Just yesterday I got a quote with a $5k "hybrid market adjustment" :rolleyes:.. that was on top of MSRP

Do you have any idea how much of tesla battery components made in USA?

I hear ya. I was in the market for a Lexus RX350H - really wish I could take the Lexus interior and put it in the Tesla lol It came down to luxury vs tech and the more I learned about Tesla I (think) I'm ok with going with tech.

Besides, trying to coordinate with all these Lexus dealers, lack of pricing transparency for a build that is bloated with unneeded options helped to seal the deal for Tesla.
Exactly. Was waiting for the Lexus of my desired exterior/interior and options combo since Aug 21. Then test drove a Tesla and the acceleration really attracted me. I was still going with the Lexus but my wife was with me in the test drive....so here I am lol

• Funny
Reactions: Byce007

I don't think optics are really a factor for the IRS, but I do think process and bureaucracy are major factors there.

Reactions: Cyclone
Exactly. Was waiting for the Lexus of my desired exterior/interior and options combo since Aug 21. Then test drove a Tesla and the acceleration really attracted me. I was still going with the Lexus but my wife was with me in the test drive....so here I am lol
All I wanted was the upgraded premium trim, with power liftgate, pano sunroof in bigger wheels, which I thought was a healthy list. Gray paint and black interior.. Dealer said I could be waiting years for that combo LMFAO. This was all after about 25 freaking emails..

Ordering the Tesla I wanted was as easy as buying an iphone...

Reactions: geekfam
It's most likely due to cancellations. If they have a car on its way already, and the buyer cancells, then the car gets assigned to the next person in line at that location with an outstanding order for a matching specification. This explains why a VIN is assigned followed very quickly or immediately by delivery scheduling. There is normally a delay between VIN assignment and being able to schedule delivery. One can probably also confirm this based on VIN range. I seem many recent VINs assigned in the PF684 range.
Agreed - I have been seeing a lot of PF684 VINs. I got my VIN yesterday, and it's PF676 but "completed production on 2/8" according to SA. Not sure.