Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, my response is is true and accurate .

The OP is "Yes but one thing is for sure, Tesla is not going by order date which is disrespectful."

My response was:

No company could possibly go by order date. For example, consider this sequence: Person A orders red, B orders blue, C red, D white, E white, F red. For them to respect that sequence they'd have to turn over their production line four times. If they respected the order date, people would get their cars in 2026. (Yes, I know there's not just one line.) [Bottom line, a car company does not disrespect its customers when it does not follow a FIFO schedule.]

Your response (which I'm sure is true) is addressing a different topic, not the feasibility of Tesla organizing their production line and schedule strictly according to the who ordered first, second, third, etc.
Do you work for Tesla or something? Your reasoning is so corporate that I would think that you do. What kind of consumer buys something major as a car and accommodates production line and configuration turnover time while happily accepting the delays? Meanwhile seeing another customer who bought the car a week later get their car first??? From a consumer perspective, IT IS DISRESPECTFUL. And no, I'm not talking about cases where people did not complete their profile or financing. People who completed their profile and designated payment immediately were still shafted by Tesla with other customers who ordered weeks later get them first. The fact that Tesla is skipping people's orders just because they want to keep making the most common configuration (White/Black) for quick buck IS BEING DISRESPECTFUL.

Same here but Seattle
OD 1/14, original delivery window was 1/26-2/8, pushed back to 2/6-2/20, then changed day by day until just now updating to 2/13-2/27.

Has anyone in WA/OR with an OD before 1/16 received a delivery date?
Interesting. I'm also in Seattle. My OD is 1/16 and on 2/3 my EDD changed from 2/2-3/2 to 2/13-2/27. It has not moved since. I wonder if they're grouping all of PNW into that range.

MYLR W/B/19'/Tow

Reactions: Mrs.strand14
Same here. Our first candidate was Lexus RX350H, but we were disgusted by the dealer's "market adjustment."

Talking about Model Y, people forgot it was $49,000 at launch. So I think $53,000 (before the IRS changed the category of MY) + $7,500 tax credit was a good deal.

OD 1/13. Bad News! My EDD has extended it's range back to 2 weeks. For days, I have had a 9 day window and it
was shifting day by day. This morning at 6:00 AM my EDD was Feb 9 - Feb 18. Now, just this evening my EDD
unexpectedly moved to Feb 10 - Feb 24. Ouch!!
Same happened to me. I thought it was because I changed it to performance.

So this is like a game

MYLR, WHITE/WHITE/19”
OD: 1/15
EDD: Feb 2 - March 2
EDD(updated on Feb 3): Feb 9 - Feb 23
EDD(updated on Feb 9): Feb 16 - March 2

No VIN :////

So I’m thinking on Feb 16, it’s going to change the date again?
It’s like very depressing
I'm in a very similar boat as you. Stick in there, although it's painful it will be worth it in the end! :')

Reactions: geekfam
Do you work for Tesla or something? Your reasoning is so corporate that I would think that you do. What kind of consumer buys something major as a car and accommodates production line and configuration turnover time while happily accepting the delays? Meanwhile seeing another customer who bought the car a week later get their car first??? From a consumer perspective, IT IS DISRESPECTFUL. And no, I'm not talking about cases where people did not complete their profile or financing. People who completed their profile and designated payment immediately were still shafted by Tesla with other customers who ordered weeks later get them first. The fact that Tesla is skipping people's orders just because they want to keep making the most common configuration (White/Black) for quick buck IS BEING DISRESPECTFUL.
It appears that you've lost all trust in Tesla. If I felt that strongly about a company, I wouldn't do business with them. You have the option of cancelling your order and disputing the charge with credit card company. However, your credit card company may not agree with you, In addition, you may be 'burning a bridge' with Tesla (which, at this point, it appears you couldn't care less).

I understand your frustration but feel that it has perhaps gotten the best of you. I will also be very disappointed if I don't get the full tax credit. My wife and I discussed this possibility and came to our decision on what we will do if this occurs.

I'm in a very similar boat as you. Stick in there, although it's painful it will be worth it in the end! :')
There was millions of times I was thinking that I should just have taken the MYSR from the inventory… I asked myself many times does 50 miles difference really matter?🤣

But I know I will regret if I take the 279mi SR…
That’s why I’m still waiting🫠

So this is like a game

MYLR, WHITE/WHITE/19”

Hang in there. I believe you should get a VIN soon. Your current EDD is comparable to others who ordered on 1/15.

Reactions: 702INVEGAS
Any mass produced product is manufactured in batches, including Teslas.

So this is like a game

MYLR, WHITE/WHITE/19”

Experienced very similar delays. Hang in there, it’s worth the wait. My initial EDD was January 29th-Feburary 12th but that obviously didn’t work out and kept getting pushed 1-2 times. More delays might happen to you, it might not but honestly I think the 16th seems like the day you’ll get your VIN. Stay optimistic!

Any mass produced product is manufactured in batches, including Teslas.
Just a guess but the paint line would be an area where it would seem running a batch for several days would make sense. Then run another color and so forth.

Just can't imagine any manufacturer with an automated robotic line would think it makes financial sense without running several Days of production of one color.

Swapping an interior color or adding a hitch would seem considerably easier to make running changes on the line during production.

Last edited:
What kind of consumer buys something major as a car and accommodates production line and configuration turnover time while happily accepting the delays? Meanwhile seeing another customer who bought the car a week later get their car first??? From a consumer perspective, IT IS DISRESPECTFUL. And no, I'm not talking about cases where people did not complete their profile or financing. People who completed their profile and designated payment immediately were still shafted by Tesla with other customers who ordered weeks later get them first. The fact that Tesla is skipping people's orders just because they want to keep making the most common configuration (White/Black) for quick buck IS BEING DISRESPECTFUL.
You don't have to be happy about the situation to understand what is going on, how it could be that way, and why it doesn't have much to do with you being respected or disrespected.

Keep in mind the sample size here, a vanishingly small proportion of customers are reporting anything about their EDD, VIN, delivery date on these forums, and those who are here are much more likely to share only when something noteworthy happens (either getting something surprisingly early, or getting frustratingly delayed), so the only data we have is biased toward the extremes. Add to that the phenomenon of apophenia that was touched on earlier, along with the frustration and anxiety that comes with uncertainty surrounding a major life event, now you've got a recipe for coming to all sorts of maddening conclusions.

All that said, there is no doubt that Tesla's pre-delivery process is poor compared to many established automakers, it's definitely one of the downsides to doing business with this company. Fortunately, it's a very small part of the car ownership experience, it just feels really big when it's all you have.