Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wild guess, let me know if this make sense...
Seems most of today's pushouts are with Black interior and today also some folks with white interior received their VINs.
Until yesterday White interior with 1/13 - 1/55 OD are waiting where as 1/18 OD black interior are getting VNI's.

Changing to White interior may improve the date :)

there's some members in here with white interior that are getting dates pushed back today as well 🤷‍♂️

Or great company and great leadership. Maybe they recognized some quality control issues and decided to slow some things down to improve quality of the final product.

Also I would imagine that Tesla and the IRS are in conversations about the whole incentive and maybe they know the battery requirements will get delayed. Now that last part is just wishful thinking on my part but I don’t think they are making these decisions without information driving them.

My edd got pushed today too. I’m not mad. It’s my own fault for dragging my feet on my order. Not Tesla.

OD 1/26
EDD1 Feb-Mar
EDD2 Mar 14-31
EDD3 (2/14/23): April 10 - May 22

Upstate New York
MYLR blue/black/19/tow.
I believe they have some information on the IRS guidance as well, but that's more speculation.

I think it's likely EDD updates are mainly driven by delivery cost optimization. Seems like a big variable is delivery region. Tesla has said on their earnings that they will be trying to reduce delivery costs.

They charge everyone ~$1.4k delivery regardless of where they are.. so if you were trying to reduce delivery cost per vehicle, while maximizing delivered units - region plays a big part in the overall cost of delivery.

They have all the data on the options (white seats, tow, wheels, etc.) ordered within the regions, but margins on those can easily get consumed by high transportation costs and longer lead times. (e.g. deliver 1 truckload to region A in 12 days vs deliver 2 truckloads to regions B & C in 12 days)

I've seen on the reddit delivery forums that folks on the west coast that originally had Apr - May EDDs have been updated to late March.

Last edited:
First post, this forum is very helpful - but also a bit addicting!

MYLR 19 inch/Blue/Black/Trailer Hitch
OD: 1/22
EDD: 3/9 - 3/31
Chicago

Been watching inventory (like many of us), and saw the identical configuration in SR AWD today, it says "coming soon to Chicago." Contacted my SA, he said that if I switched I would lose the $250 and would also have to pay the current price for the SR; he says I can only transfer the $250 and get old pricing if I stick with LR. I asked him to double check, and he texted me back that he confirmed it with the manager.

He also said that all the SRs are still showing up as pre-production with no EDD, and that it might not get to Chicago before the one I have on order in any case. His computer is showing target DD of March 15 for my LR.

Decided to stick with current order and hope for full credit.
EDD pushed back today, like many others :(
New EDD: March 25-31

Seems most of today's pushouts are with Black interior and today also some folks with white interior received their VINs.
Until yesterday White interior with 1/13 - 1/55 OD are waiting where as 1/18 OD black interior are getting VNI's.

Not true. Lots of people that ordered between 1/13-1/15 with black interiors have already gotten their cars. White interiors have been pushed back to late Feb - late March. I ordered 1/14 and EDD just got pushed back. No VIN either.

Reactions: YisPatHere
I see that many people who ordered after me 1/17 have also started getting their VIN assigned. I understand that it depends upon configuration. My config is Blue/Black/19 MYLR, pick up is from Mt Kisko NYC. I saw in the tracking sheet that someone from NY (1/18) got the VIN assigned. I can't think of any logical explanation. May be I am missing some big piece of this puzzle?

Not true. Lots of people that ordered between 1/13-1/15 with black interiors have already gotten their cars. White interiors have been pushed back to late Feb - late March. I ordered 1/14 and EDD just got pushed back. No VIN either.
My OD on 1/15 (MYLR/W/B/19") got pushed out to 2/28 - 3/28 but then mine is a 7 seater so I guess that may be driving the delay

Reactions: bigboi
Like others, mine got pushed today also. EDD4 2/22-3/22

In anticipation of this push, I asked my SA if the tow hitch was in short supply (someone commented it was earlier in this thread) and if removing it would affect my order?

It's not in short supply, but the factory build plan may put cars with tow hitches later. Unfortunately I don't have insight into that so I can't definitely tell you how removing it would affect your timing.

Would I lose my place in the build queue if I decide to remove it?

You would be placed at the end of the queue for that configuration. So your overall place really depends on which config is being built first.

Based on the reply, I decided to keep my tow option.

Model Y MSM / Black interior / 20” wheels / No hitch

OD : 01/26
EDD 1 : Feb - March
EDD 2 : 03/16 - 03/31
EDD 3 (updated today) : 02/22 - 03/08

Vancouver, Canada
Wow that is a really good EDD for that order date. My friend in BC ordered MSM/Black int/19"/no tow one week after you (Feb3) and has an EDD of April 29-June 10:eek:
I would guess they have a car matching yours in transit that someone backed out on for whatever reason.

Reactions: erktrek
Does anyone know if VIN’s are assigned from the factory or from your local sales/service center?

I’m in Portland and there is easily 600 Tesla’s sitting in a staging lot at Washington Square with more arriving every day - no local inventory is shown. I’m wondering if they have such a large queue of car’s that mine could be sitting there waiting for someone to process it?

OD: 1/15 MYLR White/Black/20”
EDD: Jan-March
EDD2 on 1/23 -> 1/29-2/26
EDD3 on 1/30 -> 2/9-3/9

2/3 updated to MYP White/Black

EDD4 on 2/5 -> 2/5-2/18
Then day-by-day changes
EDD5 -> 2/6-2/18
EDD6 -> 2/7-2/18
EDD7 -> 2/8-2/18
EDD8 -> 2/9-2/18
EDD9 on 2/9 -> 2/18-3/18

Currently sitting here^
No VIN assigned

I see that many people who ordered after me 1/17 have also started getting their VIN assigned. I understand that it depends upon configuration. My config is Blue/Black/19 MYLR, pick up is from Mt Kisko NYC. I saw in the tracking sheet that someone from NY (1/18) got the VIN assigned. I can't think of any logical explanation. May be I am missing some big piece of this puzzle?
My guess is they are crushed with orders so things are more than a little chaotic.

While I'm disappointed my delivery has been pushed by a month or so I would prefer my vehicle not getting rushed in production possibly introducing preventable issues.

Reactions: geekfam and eRoamin

that was definitely my logic.. i think people that ordered white interior is getting attention now. I was so discouraged a couple of days ago that black interior orders were getting vins and delivery and i didn't see not one person with white interior get a vin. I know a lot of EDD for people have been pushed back but luckily mine has moved forward fingers crossed that this is a good sign.

Does anyone know if VIN’s are assigned from the factory or from your local sales/service center?

I’m in Portland and there is easily 600 Tesla’s sitting in a staging lot at Washington Square with more arriving every day - no local inventory is shown. I’m wondering if they have such a large queue of car’s that mine could be sitting there waiting for someone to process it?

OD: 1/15 MYLR White/Black/20”
EDD: Jan-March
EDD2 on 1/23 -> 1/29-2/26
EDD3 on 1/30 -> 2/9-3/9

2/3 updated to MYP White/Black

EDD4 on 2/5 -> 2/5-2/18
Then day-by-day changes
EDD5 -> 2/6-2/18
EDD6 -> 2/7-2/18
EDD7 -> 2/8-2/18
EDD8 -> 2/9-2/18
EDD9 on 2/9 -> 2/18-3/18

Currently sitting here^
No VIN assigned
They usually are assigned at the factory either the day they finish production or the day after. However, some report that in eastern states they get assigned once at the delivery center. I'm not certain if that is a standard thing for further away locations or just that those people ended up getting a VIN from someone who backed out of delivery and VIN was reassigned with car already at the delivery center. I would think Portland would have VIN assigned at factory. But then again, 600 teslas sitting in a lot seems odd.

Reactions: michael_st
My EDD just updated this morning around 6:30. I'm considering dropping the tow hitch to see if I can't get it sooner.

OD: 1/17
Original EDD: Jan-Mar
1/20 EDD: Feb 4 - Mar 4
2/5 EDD: Feb 13 - Mar 13
2/14 EDD: Mar 1-31

MYLR, MSM, black interior, 19", Tow Hitch

Seattle area
Oh no, my EDD was updated today as well.
MYLR MSM/Black /19"/ 5 seat / tow hitch
OD: 1/26 Original
EDD: Feb - March
Updated EDD (2/1): 3/6 - 3/31
Updated EDD (2/14): 4/7 - 5/19
Picking up at Nor Cal- Dublin

Is something out of supply that is pushing out the dates? 😰

Reactions: erktrek