Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still psyched that I could buy a MYLR for 13k less than I could before plus at lest $3,750 tax credit and probably another $3,750 before it is all said and done.
💯. Before the price drop, I had placed a deposit to buy a Mach-E rear-wheel-drive standard range (247 miles). I considered the MYLR out of reach, a different class of vehicle. Now I'm getting a Tesla with AWD and longer range for the same price as my purchase agreement with Ford.

I remember story of Musk when he was young. He made some good money buy selling the books doe not worth anything.
He is playing same game here. He advertised to get orders to give delivery by Mar 31 2023 and now Tesla is pushing out dates so people cancel the order since they will not get the 7500 credit unless IRS change move their date from March 31 and Tesla makes 250 without doing anything. Tesla jacked up price by 2000$ so some people may still stay in order.
I am thinking to cancel the order and go with something else.

You can add another myth to the list that Austin built cars are of better quality than Fremont
You might be right about that but boy the number of horror stories we read here about cars delivered from Fremont made me question that for a minute. Anyway, it is what it is. Unless the car has major issues (cracks, major scratches, torn seats, etc.) I probably wont make a big fuss. Either way I will report my delivery experience here. I might have to push it out a week as I am travelling on the date they have given. I should take delivery in the first week of March.

Reactions: notanid4
since they will not get the 7500 credit unless IRS change move their date from March 31.
The IRS has not set any date for the tax credit change. The only date so far is the estimated release of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) which is required to be submitted for public comment before final rules are drafted and put into effect. It's possible, but increasingly unlikely, that all of that could happen before March 31st.

The IRS has not set any date for the tax credit change. The only date so far is the estimated release of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) which is required to be submitted for public comment before final rules are drafted and put into effect. It's possible, but increasingly unlikely, that all of that could happen before March 31st.
Could the current $7,500 tax credit be suspended (rather than extended) from March 1 to the date that the final rules are put into effect?

yeah...the price drop was pretty much what got me to purchase the model y.

the tax break will be a bonus.

i needed a new car anyways since i'm currently driving my sister's car.
Same here. The price cut was the main incentives here (although I did not order one until the price went up $500 again). EV credit is a very nice bonus comparing to the $13K ($12.5K in my case) price drop.

When the EDD is pushed back to April, it is clearer that my decision is more based on the original price drop.

My guess is that Tesla wanted to "lock" us in with the price cut. And the same time, they will graduately increase the price by $3,750 by April (from $52,990 to $56,740). Assume the EV credits cut from $7,500 to $3,750 after March, customers ordered MYLR at $52,990 taking delivery after March still get $3,750 EV credits (net price is $49,240). Comparing to those who order one in April for $56,740 with $3,750 EV credit (net price is $52,990), the customers "locked" in earlier still pay $3,750 less which will give the illusioin of getting the full $7,500 EV credits.

My wild guess. I still wish I get the delivery with the full $7,500.😀

I think IRS may move the date after Musk's visit earlier but that will be not good for other local companies and for money politicians can sell their souls So I think it may have low chances to move the date.

Could the current $7,500 tax credit be suspended (rather than extended) from March 1 to the date that the final rules are put into effect?
I'm not a tax or law professional so I have no idea if that's possible. Seems exceedingly unlikely though, if a move like that were in the works, there would have to be a political will for it, frustrating thousands of consumers and several S&P 500 companies with a surprise tax change wouldn't be a winning strategy for anybody.

See page 5 of the above rulemaking process:
In
 general,
agencies 
will
 specify
 a
 comment 
period
 ranging
 from
to 
days 
in 
the 
“Dates” section 
of 
the 
Federal
Register document,
 but 
the 
time 
period
 can
vary. 

For 
complex rulemakings,
 agencies
 may 
provide 
for 
longer 
time 
periods, 
such 
as
days 
or 
more. 

Agencies may
 also 
use
 shorter 
comment
 periods
when 
that 
can 
be 
justified.

Although I thought all news outlets said the proposed rule issuing date will determine the eligibility of the EV credits right away. I don't recall anyone mention the comment period will delay the effective date.

Paramus, NJ? Why? Why can't you just pick up from one of many Massachusetts delivery locations? There are three: Peabody, Dedham and Norwell.

My assigned location is Dedham, MA.
I have seen two of my friends from here in NH do the same.. pickup from Paramus.
When you put in your drivers license for the registration stuff after the order, it gives us the location as Paramus NJ..I have not found a way to change that.

Although I thought all news outlets said the proposed rule issuing date will determine the eligibility of the EV credits right away. I don't recall anyone mention the comment period will delay the effective date.
Here's the most detailed article I've seen from any news outlet, written by a corporate tax lawyer who actually read the IRS white paper that announced the March window for the release of the notice of proposed rulemaking.
Quoted here is her bottom line:

Timing of Guidance​

The white paper promised that the proposed guidance would explain the extent to which taxpayers can rely on it until final rules are issued. The length of time that Treasury and the IRS anticipate needing between the proposed and final regulations may dictate that determination.
Considering the heavy roster of clean-energy guidance projects underway and the possibly large number of comment letters on the proposed guidance, the release of final rules could take longer than ideal.
If the proposed guidance is released in late March with a 60-day comment period, it will be nearly June before the IRS and Treasury even have all the comments to work with in preparing the final rules. Even with all possible speed, final regulations are still a fairly long way off.
The problem with most of the news articles on this is they're written by someone whose expertise is the automotive column, not a tax or law column. Those people are less likely to understand what an NPRM is and what it means, so they just saw "March" and ran with it, fueling the confusion that we now have.

Last edited:
I remember story of Musk when he was young. He made some good money buy selling the books doe not worth anything.
He is playing same game here. He advertised to get orders to give delivery by Mar 31 2023 and now Tesla is pushing out dates so people cancel the order since they will not get the 7500 credit unless IRS change move their date from March 31 and Tesla makes 250 without doing anything. Tesla jacked up price by 2000$ so some people may still stay in order.
I am thinking to cancel the order and go with something else.
Good luck if looking outside Tesla. I knew what I was signing up for. Indeed my rep warned about missing the credits by ordering so late in Feb.

Here's the most detailed article I've seen from any news outlet, written by a corporate tax lawyer who actually read the IRS white paper that announced the March window for the release of the notice of proposed rulemaking.
Quoted here is her bottom line:

The problem with most of the new articles on this is they're written by someone whose expertise is the automotive column, not a tax or law column. Those people are less likely to understand what an NPRM is and what it means, so they just saw "March" and ran with it, fueling the confusion that we now have.
Thank you!

From the rulemaking process, it seems that there will be a comment period of 30-60 days and it can be as long as 180 days for complex issues (which I believe this one will be a good example).

There is nothing really we can do here other than speculating the proposed guidance until March. When that is out, the news outlets will focus on the "comment period" and the effective date.