Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the unfortunate aspect of Tesla since there are way too many factors that determine availability/delivery - order time, delivery location, build configuration, factory making your build, how to car assignment algos work, and probably so much more.

Honestly the experience the common Tesla buyer goes through is probably placing a "Custom Order" by paying order free and waiting months/years to potentially get the car. If there are cars in inventory at a location, you can just purchase that specific one.

But due to the huge discount that happened overnight in addition to tax incentives, the hype and FOMO caused people to place an order right away. Not being able to get from existing inventory anymore was probably the biggest thing that caused people to be SOL when it comes to EDDs. People who grabbed or were assigned cars from inventory got their cars within 2 weeks.

Since Tesla is a new way of doing things (no dealers, rapid iteration, few model types etc) and are growing at a crazy pace it is understandable that the order process is chaos. We went into this with our eyes open - would like more updates sure but it's not a deal killer for us. Also we have perfectly good albeit rapidly aging / expensive to maintain ICE vehicles right now and can handle the delay. Not as worried about the Tax credit situation.

Another thought is the more recent the build the more potential for additional updates/upgrades as Tesla likes to continuously introduce improvements.

Last edited:
I knowo this has been discussed before but do cars from Fremont come with the matrix headlights and cargo cover? i'm hoping the car doesn't come with major issues i'm nervous
Mine is also coming from Fremont, they will come with matrix (or "global") headlights, and I'm pretty sure as long as you have a 5-seater it will come with the cargo cover.

The occasional person experiences issues whether their MY comes from Fremont or Austin - from what I have heard, most things are cosmetically very minor or people have good experiences. Deep breaths :)

I was a little nervous last night reading a lot of people saying their EDD got pushed back a significant amount. i guess I was one of the lucky ones. To my surprise I woke up to a text saying VIN IS ASSIGNED!!! looks like its coming from Fremont.
4th update EDD: 3/4-3/11
OD: 1/25

Same order date as you, but i got pushed! With your build of MSM/white interior/ 20' induction wheels i wonder if you got prioritized?

Reactions: erktrek
Yo!
Just was browsing the optional accessoriies for the Model Y. For the garage door opener it says arournd $350+ for this. I am a newbie, but is there not a program button for garage door openers that most cars come installed to sync with the door openers?

Yo!
Just was browsing the optional accessoriies for the Model Y. For the garage door opener it says arournd $350+ for this. I am a newbie, but is there not a program button for garage door openers that most cars come installed to sync with the door openers?
Tesla does not automatically come with a built-in garage opener - also known as Homelink. It is a huge bummer, but many people have some clever solutions for their garage openers or just eat the $350 for convenience.

Reactions: Yomanjm
Tesla does not automatically come with a built-in garage opener - also known as Homelink. It is a huge bummer, but many people have some clever solutions for their garage openers or just eat the $350 for convenience.
If you have a home automation system like Home Assistant and the desire to tinker you could set something up that way...

Last edited:
This was one of the biggest downers for me. This has been standard on vehicles for a VERY long time. It seems like we're being nickeled and dimed for something so simple.

Since they removed the radars, many of our cars have lost functionality. (pulling into spaces for example, we now have to guess vs listening to a beep) Which in 2023 is kind of unacceptable imo...

Yo!
If you have a wifi enabled garage door opener from LiftMaster/ Chamberlain etc, you can connect your Tesla to your MyQ account and open / close that way. If your garage door opener isn't MyQ compatible, you can buy a unit for about $30 on Amazon.

Smart Garage Connectivity - Teslahttps://www.tesla.com › ownersmanual › model3 › en_us

Since they removed the radars, many of our cars have lost functionality. (pulling into spaces for example, we now have to guess vs listening to a beep) Which in 2023 is kind of unacceptable imo...
To be clear. I don't really care about parking, but I think removing radars can cause a lot of problems with autopilot.
Btw, about parking. Having so much cameras and no 360 view? 🥸

Ok, sorry for offtoping. Let's continue to track our orders and believe in fast delivery without huge scratches, misaligned panels, etc.

Biden strikes deal with Tesla to make portion of supercharger network available to all vehicles.

Interesting. Announced the day after mass EDD changes. “You help me, I help you” lol one can only hope..

I feel like I will start having to wait in line unless they build first and then open up.

• Informative
Reactions: rr_92 and erktrek
But, that requires a $45/year subscription and a compatible opener or additional hardware. :)
How? I have had MyQ for 5+ years and it doesn't cost me anything other than the original purchase. First it was a $30 bridge, then I eventually upgraded my Garage Door Opener and it has MyQ build in. Again, no monthly / yearly fees. Also Amazon can deliver packages in my garage if I so choose. They open / close when Im not home and I have cameras inside.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
To be clear. I don't really care about parking, but I think removing radars can cause a lot of problems with autopilot.
Btw, about parking. Having so much cameras and no 360 view? 🥸

Ok, sorry for offtoping. Let's continue to track our orders and believe in fast delivery without huge scratches, misaligned panels, etc.
General parking im ok with, its the whole parking in the garage situation. Its tricky for some of us with smaller garages. The fix is to always just back in :)

No 360 view as Tesla refuses to put a camera on the front bumper. The only front facing camera is the one on top near the rear view mirror.