Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my delivery yesterday at the SC in Lawrence, NJ.
We arrived half an hour earlier and the car was parked right in front of the entrance. We checked around it and almost immediately concluded that we wanted it. I didn't feel to pull out the comprehensive checklist I had spent time on. As people are saying here, it's the first time for me to have such a list after buying quite a few cars. My wife didn't remember that we did much inspection at all on the current cars. We actually check rental cars more carefully than our new cars.
I asked a guy to unlock the car so we can check the interior. He was very cooperative and agreed right away. Again, everything was nice in the car too.
We only found two things, a wider gap on on side of the rear lights and the rocker was not flush on the driver's side. The delivery guy told us to note them in a ticket. We handed out the check and accepted the car in about 40 minutes.
On the way back, I noticed some high-frequency noise at speed over 50 MPH, when I press acceleration. It's not obvious at all, while I could hear it if I turn off the music. I wouldn't have paid attention to that at all if I hadn't read the feedbacks from @3YMimi73 . Thank you! I will definitely include it on the ticket.
Overall, I would think it's a good experience. I was actually pretty nervous after hearing the unpleasant stories here. I told my wife that I felt going to an exam when we were heading to the SC. Everything turned out OK.
The J1772 adapter and front plate mount were in the trunk. I also confirmed the matrix headlights. We did light show at home of course :)
My OD was 1/14 morning. The car is Fremont made, on 1/28.
Good luck, everyone!

I would like to conduct some research (out of curiosity).

For those who ordered after 1/19, what caused you to delay ordering soon after the 1/13 price decrease ?
I have pre-orders in for four other EVs. I’m not a huge fan of Elon, but tesla does make compelling products. The price cut on the 13th definitely peaked my interest, but I wanted the performance model. When the tax credit got lifted above 55k for model Ys, that sealed it.

Reactions: notanid4 and MYclub

For those who ordered after 1/19, what caused you to delay ordering soon after the 1/13 price decrease ?
I had ordered an ID.4 initially and it was en route to the VW dealership the same day of the Tesla price drop. I felt I needed to test drive the Y and make an accurate comparison with the ID.4. I took a few days to think it over and then decided to go with the Y. Placed the order on the evening of 1/19.

People here seem to give SAs too much credit. SAs are just sales people and just like how you get your order information by looking at your app, they too are limited in what they know to what they see on their system. Maybe the only piece of information they may have and you don’t is the date the car was built but until the car is actually built, they are just as clueless as you are. They have no idea how Tesla logistics works or what the future plans are. If they tell you that your car will come with this accessory or that headlight or whatever, it’s all their best guess and nothing else.
Ouch that's a little harsh on the sales folk dont you think? Do you really know what information they have access to or are allowed to tell us?

At the very least they are at the showroom day to day, they see the deliveries etc so most likely have a better sense of whats going on for that location. There have been posts here of SAs telling customers about inventory models that have recently arrived so they can change their order and get a vehicle sooner.

On the flip side, when we ordered at the showroom the rep simply used the website so not much difference there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phydeaux
How do you guys contact Tesla SAs? Still waiting. My EDD window to shrink and no VIN assigned. Did you just call the Tesla main number or text them directly? I tried texting 510-330-1671 yesterday regards to my order but got no reply, is that the right number?

My current lease ends on 3/11. Looked for plug-in car or simply keeping my existing car (as prices for desired cars were too high), and after visiting Lincoln sc I checked Tesla website one more time (previously thought about MY in autumn) and found decreased prices - ordered it on the same day 1/22

OD: 1/22 W/B/19 (completed all tasks on the same day)
EDD 1: Jan - Mar
EDD 2 (on 1/25): 3/11 - 3/31
EDD 3 (on 2/14): 3/27-3/31
NJ

Reactions: Teasler
Ouch that's a little harsh on the sales folk dont you think? Do you really know what information they have access to or are allowed to tell us?

At the very least they are at the showroom day to day, they see the deliveries etc so most likely have a better sense of whats going on for that location anyway. There have been posts here of SAs telling customers about inventory models that have recently arrived so they can change their order and get a vehicle sooner.

On the flip side, when we ordered at the showroom the rep simply used the website so not much difference there.
From what I've been reading here so far, it doesn't seem that SAs have any valuable information to provide other than what everyone already know or can easily find by doing a google search. You can order the car yourself... You can find your EDD window on your account and you can find answers to most of your questions on Tesla's FAQ page. You can even find out the manufacturing date of your Tesla using your VIN on some websites and when you get your car, the manufacturing date is usually somewhere on the car itself. Your SA can't tell you with certainty if your car comes with a truck cover or 'Matrix' headlights or mudflap etc.. They can only guess until you get your car and find out for sure. You can also buy a car from existing inventory on your own. I can't think of anything they can do and you can't with the exception of maybe crediting your ordering fees in some situations but that is the least any customer service can do for their customers.

Reactions: sdq_11
MYLR :
OD 1/13 for a 7 seater
EDD1 Feb-Mar
02/08 updated configuration to 5 seater
EDD2 Mar-May
02/15 Added registeration
EDD3 April-Jun

Seems like Tesla is looking to push your order for any little change you make :(

Now no gurantee I would be eligible for 7500 rebate after March and may have to cancel if I don't :(

Hi all, does anyone know if we can order an available model y in other states, and take delivery and drive back to the home state and register it?

I understand I might need to pay temp registration charges in the selling state, what else would be additional? Does Tesla allow that?
Tesla won't let you order if it is not allowed. Your best resource is their website I would say. Just key in delivery area zip code and it will tell if you can take it or not.

From what I've been reading here so far, it doesn't seem that SAs have any valuable information to provide other than what everyone already know or can easily find by doing a google search. You can order the car yourself... You can find your EDD window on your account and you can find answers to most of your questions on Tesla's FAQ page. You can even find out the manufacturing date of your Tesla using your VIN on some websites and when you get your car, the manufacturing date is usually somewhere on the car itself. Your SA can't tell you with certainty if your car comes with a truck cover or 'Matrix' headlights or mudflap etc.. They can only guess until you get your car and find out for sure. You can also buy a car from existing inventory on your own. I can't think of anything they can do and you can't with the exception of maybe crediting your ordering fees in some situations but that is the least any customer service can do for their customers.
Yep that seems true and indeed I have not had the need to contact an SA after ordering at all. I think part of this is due to the chaotic nature of the order/build process - we are all basically ordering factory direct. What SA's can help with is finding a car in inventory, helping with ordering (explaining various options etc), documenting issues, providing info (ours was particularly helpful with state rebates), helping with delivery and service etc. so still very useful.

How do you guys contact Tesla SAs? Still waiting. My EDD window to shrink and no VIN assigned. Did you just call the Tesla main number or text them directly? I tried texting 510-330-1671 yesterday regards to my order but got no reply, is that the right number?
That number should connect you with your local SC, but you can always look up the number for your local SC and try calling that. They're pretty busy right now, so you'll probably get voice-mail. If you hang up and keep trying, you can probably eventually get a real human being to pick up.

Reactions: stlgrym3

I'm currently in a lease through May '24 and had only recently started looking for a replacement. Frankly, Tesla wasn't even in my top 5 before the price cut, but then I took notice. When the IRS made the determination that al MYs were SUVs, I was 99% sold. The other 1% came when I looked at my current car's trade-in value vs. my lease buyout. When I found out I'd actually turn a profit, I ordered a MY.

I took my delivery yesterday at the SC in Lawrence, NJ.
We arrived half an hour earlier and the car was parked right in front of the entrance. We checked around it and almost immediately concluded that we wanted it. I didn't feel to pull out the comprehensive checklist I had spent time on. As people are saying here, it's the first time for me to have such a list after buying quite a few cars. My wife didn't remember that we did much inspection at all on the current cars. We actually check rental cars more carefully than our new cars.
I asked a guy to unlock the car so we can check the interior. He was very cooperative and agreed right away. Again, everything was nice in the car too.
We only found two things, a wider gap on on side of the rear lights and the rocker was not flush on the driver's side. The delivery guy told us to note them in a ticket. We handed out the check and accepted the car in about 40 minutes.
On the way back, I noticed some high-frequency noise at speed over 50 MPH, when I press acceleration. It's not obvious at all, while I could hear it if I turn off the music. I wouldn't have paid attention to that at all if I hadn't read the feedbacks from @3YMimi73 . Thank you! I will definitely include it on the ticket.
Overall, I would think it's a good experience. I was actually pretty nervous after hearing the unpleasant stories here. I told my wife that I felt going to an exam when we were heading to the SC. Everything turned out OK.
The J1772 adapter and front plate mount were in the trunk. I also confirmed the matrix headlights. We did light show at home of course :)
My OD was 1/14 morning. The car is Fremont made, on 1/28.
Good luck, everyone!
Similar thing here. We originally wanted to spend as much time as possible going through a detailed checklist but after getting there, decided it was better to check the basics and then just go home if everything is good. We could always log them in a service ticket prior to 100 miles if we notice anything at home.

Btw I noticed that the glass ceiling for my MY is slightly raised on one side (has little more space between glass and car) while perfectly leveled/equal on the other side.

Anyone else have this or is it supposed to be 100% equal throughout? Just want to make sure it won't cause issues in rain/snow weather.

Reactions: NJ08809
People here seem to give SAs too much credit. SAs are just sales people and just like how you get your order information by looking at your app, they too are limited in what they know to what they see on their system. Maybe the only piece of information they may have and you don’t is the date the car was built but until the car is actually built, they are just as clueless as you are. They have no idea how Tesla logistics works or what the future plans are. If they tell you that your car will come with this accessory or that headlight or whatever, it’s all their best guess and nothing else.
They do have a more specific "soft date" in their system for when your car is scheduled for production. People have been shown this screen and shared it in the past. Some SAs won't give you this info and just tell you the app is most accurate. Others will share the date.

Reactions: erktrek
DD was 2/26
Where are you located?

I'm in Miami and have a sales order at Miami Gardens and another a Merritt Island. I have been trying to switch the Merritt Island to be delivered in Miami, but that's has proven difficult.

The VIN of my order at Merritt Island was taken away a couple of days ago and has not been added again, but the EDD still shows 2/18 to 3/17. The Miami Gardens SA has not responded to my messages since Monday 2/13. I guess I will need to contact the Merritt Island sales center.