Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you located?

I'm in Miami and have a sales order at Miami Gardens and another a Merritt Island. I have been trying to switch the Merritt Island to be delivered in Miami, but that's has proven difficult.

The VIN of my order at Merritt Island was taken away a couple of days ago and has not been added again, but the EDD still shows 2/18 to 3/17. The Miami Gardens SA has not responded to my messages since Monday 2/13. I guess I will need to contact the Merritt Island sales center.
VA

I would like to conduct some research (out of curiosity).

For those who ordered after 1/19, what caused you to delay ordering soon after the 1/13 price decrease ?
I always wanted to make the shift to Electric but never considered a Tesla before because of how cheaply made and mainstream (at least here in CA) they are. After the price cuts, I went ahead and test drove the Model X and came to the conclusion that it is not even close to worth the asking price even after the price cut! I looked at the Model Y on paper and saw an opportunity to buy and try for a year knowing that Musk will almost certainly raise the prices back where they were before once the tax credit guidance topic is rectified. In a year or so and after its price go back up, I plant to trade it in for a better car knowing that in theory I won't lose much money on it if any.

Reactions: MYclub
In a year or so and after its price go back up, I plant to trade it in for a better car knowing that in theory I won't lose much money on it if any.
I purchased a base Model 3 in August 2020, I sold it to Driveway.com with about 14K miles in August 2022 at height of the used car prices. I recovered all of the money spent including taxes, fees, etc. and even had some profit... unheard of to make money in selling/trading a car.

Reactions: majo and stlgrym3
I took delivery of my standard poverty edition MYLR5 yesterday at the Springfield, NJ location, the experience was much better than I had originally thought or expected.

We arrived early and found our car on the side along with many other vehicles being delivered the same day and did a pretty good walk-through on the outside and really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, only a few scuffs that can be easily buffed out later on. We then asked the SA nicely to unlock the door so we can check the interior and all she needed to see was the certified check we brought in order to unlock it, she said I could hand her the check after we're pleased with everything and said take as much time as we want, it was a really nice experience contrary to what some other folks had mentioned on here before. I guess it really depends on the person.

The whole process could've taken less than 15 min. if we wanted to but we were being thorough and spent about 45 min. total. The car is a blast to drive, still need to get used to the regenerative braking system, not sure if I really like it as it makes me dizzy if I let go of the pedal too fast lol. (guess will take some time to get used to)

My OD was 1/14 around noon, so it took just about 1 month from order to delivery. It's a Fremont build and came with matrix light and the cargo cover. A front plate mount and a J1772 adapter are also included back in the trunk. (many ppl have confirmed these so no surprise there)

All in all, a great experience and I wish the best of luck to all of you still waiting. Hang in there, it's definitely worth it!

The only strange thing I noticed is when I got home and parked, the car would lock itself when I step about 5-10 ft away from the vehicle as it should. However, after leaving my phone and the key cards inside the house (I made sure they are far away from the garage) I could still walk up to the car and unlock the doors to get in and the screen would power up and everything. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced something similar? I don't think my car is truly "locked" even when it shows locked in the app.

I took delivery of my standard poverty edition MYLR5 yesterday at the Springfield, NJ location, the experience was much better than I had originally thought or expected.

We arrived early and found our car on the side along with many other vehicles being delivered the same day and did a pretty good walk-through on the outside and really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, only a few scuffs that can be easily buffed out later on. We then asked the SA nicely to unlock the door so we can check the interior and all she needed to see was the certified check we brought in order to unlock it, she said I could hand her the check after we're pleased with everything and said take as much time as we want, it was a really nice experience contrary to what some other folks had mentioned on here before. I guess it really depends on the person.

The whole process could've taken less than 15 min. if we wanted to but we were being thorough and spent about 45 min. total. The car is a blast to drive, still need to get used to the regenerative braking system, not sure if I really like it as it makes me dizzy if I let go of the pedal too fast lol. (guess will take some time to get used to)

My OD was 1/14 around noon, so it took just about 1 month from order to delivery. It's a Fremont build and came with matrix light and the cargo cover. A front plate mount and a J1772 adapter are also included back in the trunk. (many ppl have confirmed these so no surprise there)

All in all, a great experience and I wish the best of luck to all of you still waiting. Hang in there, it's definitely worth it!

The only strange thing I noticed is when I got home and parked, the car would lock itself when I step about 5-10 ft away from the vehicle as it should. However, after leaving my phone and the key cards inside the house (I made sure they are far away from the garage) I could still walk up to the car and unlock the doors to get in and the screen would power up and everything. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced something similar? I don't think my car is truly "locked" even when it shows locked in the app.

happy you had a great pick up experience with no major problems.

hoping mine will be the same.

I always wanted to make the shift to Electric but never considered a Tesla before because of how cheaply made and mainstream (at least here in CA) they are. After the price cuts, I went ahead and test drove the Model X and came to the conclusion that it is not even close to worth the asking price even after the price cut! I looked at the Model Y on paper and saw an opportunity to buy and try for a year knowing that Musk will almost certainly raise the prices back where they were before once the tax credit guidance topic is rectified. In a year or so and after its price go back up, I plant to trade it in for a better car knowing that in theory I won't lose much money on it if any.
I imagine for folks in CA, a thorough cost comparison analysis may reveal that the Y is actually cheaper than any other gasoline vehicle in its class.

Has anyone out there run any actual numbers?

Here in NY, based on my driving and actual electricity prices, I expect my MY (after ev credits) to save me enough $ in fuel to make up the price difference compared to MSRP of a Honda CRV-EXL, after 10 years ownership.

I also expect in 10 years, the resale value of gas vehicles will take a huge hit once EVs go mainstream

Reactions: erktrek
i ordered 1/25 LY MSM/white interior/20 in' induction wheels. I received vin 2/15 and my EDD range is 3/4-3/11. I ve seen a lot of post where people are picking up their cars earlier than what their EDD was giving them.
We've also seen folks with their EDD's pushed out by a couple of weeks or even more so I think it's very much a crap shoot and probably highly dependent on your delivery location, configuration, luck..etc.

Last edited:
Same config, SoCal, OD 1/16 evening, one the contract 1/17 5 am. EDD Feb 22- Mar 22 no vin.

I think the location does matter a lot. There is a certain capacity of shipment and resources for each destination. Here, someone with OD 1/18 got their delivery scheduled in Sacramento. Only difference, they had 20 inch tires.
Update, I got vin today. EDD 2/27-3/6

For those who ordered after 1/19, what caused you to delay ordering soon after the 1/13 price decrease ?
I didn't think it was a wise idea to replace my 7 seater with a Model Y 7 seater, seeing that would be a downgrade in space. Sat on it for a bit and realized, I might as well switch my wife's 4 seater convertible to a 5 seater electric car (Tesla, of course being the prominent one, and with the price cuts and tax credits). Went that route and got a good deal for my convertible. Hence the delay. Should have just ordered initially with the $250. Some urged me saying "you only lose $250" even if you change your mind, but I had to wait and be certain of my plan before ordering the Model Y.

Needless to say, I got bumped out from March 3rd week to April 7-May 19 date on Feb 14, like many others. Let's see if we we get an improvement in the next few days/weeks. My SA said the dates could always come back, when orders would start coming down starting Feb 15 (with Tesla advertising no more new production builds for this quarter). That may settle down the ordering and production differential, and dates may start to improve. She also mentioned a disclaimer to not take this as face value, it's only a speculative guess. Location: Raleigh, NC.

Reactions: erktrek and MYclub

On Jan 13, I learned of the price drop and tax credit. I was not in the market for a Model Y, but I knew my brother-in-law was planning to buy one in a year or two so I told him that now might be good time to buy. He agreed and placed an order a day or two later.

On Jan 15, I, too, became interested in a Model Y, but it took five days of research, deciding on colors and options, and thinking about whether or not such a vehicle could meet enough of my needs before I finally placed the order on Jan 20.

I wish I would have went ahead and placed the order on Jan 15 to increase the chance of taking delivery before Mar 1. At this point if the vehicle arrives in good condition and still qualifies for the full tax credit, I'll take it. If the tax credit reduces, I'll have to reconsider. If the vehicle no longer qualifies for any tax credit, I will cancel the order and will not buy a Tesla at this time and sell/gift the Mobile Connector I already received to my brother-in-law since he has only the Wall Connector.

Reactions: erktrek and MYclub

The really fun thing is when you get back into an ICE vehicle after a few weeks and take your foot off the pedal. It feels like it is speeding up. I am so glad my street has stop sign at the end to remind me.
My M3 locks when I walk away and I can not open it without the phone. Double check that you have the walk away lock or what ever setting set. It could be the car is just folding the side views etc, but not locking the car. You can also check in the app inside the house if the car is locked before heading out to check.

Last edited:
Similar thing here. We originally wanted to spend as much time as possible going through a detailed checklist but after getting there, decided it was better to check the basics and then just go home if everything is good. We could always log them in a service ticket prior to 100 miles if we notice anything at home.

Btw I noticed that the glass ceiling for my MY is slightly raised on one side (has little more space between glass and car) while perfectly leveled/equal on the other side.

Anyone else have this or is it supposed to be 100% equal throughout? Just want to make sure it won't cause issues in rain/snow weather.
It sounds a misalignment of the glass. I have also some issues with the glass on the door, most likely from installation. These have no impacts on the functionality, however, don't feel good. I would anyway put them in the service ticket and see what they can do.

why can't i modify my order under the reservation number anymore? there's no Edit Configuration button anymore. can someone confirm i have to call it in for Tesla to reset/unlock my configuration for that button to appear under my reservation?
Not sure if this will work but you can try this link after you login to your account. Replace the x's with your 9 digit RN numbers.

www.tesla.com/modely/design/RNxxxxxxxxx?redirect=no#overview

For me I was not looking for a new car but then engine issues on the weekend of Jan 21st pushed me over the edge. I then had to start researching Tesla’s and went to book a test drive and they were all booked up for a week+. I first considered a M3 as it’s all I really need but then at work team meeting I asked the group who has a Tesla and 4 out of 12 people had one and all said get the Y. So on 1/26 I pulled the trigger.

In hindsight it was only $250 of risk and I should have just placed the order the weekend of 1/21.

Reactions: MYclub and erktrek