Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car from Naperville yesterday. Great experience. We arrived 20 minutes early and the car wasn't ready yet. SA installed the temp plate and drove to the front. Unlocked the car and told us to take as much time as needed. We spent 10 minutes to walk around. Fremont build, like many other members here, the car is flawless. Gaps are symmetrical, no scratch or paint issue. Asked for the mud flaps and SA told us to make a service apt online and they will install flaps and PPF for free. Also told us to report any delivery issue in the next 24 hours. Order to pick up is about 5 weeks. This is faster than my expectation consider the history of Tesla.
The front license plate mount provided was an adhesive plastic. Not sure if I want to put it on. Any suggestion for after market mount?
What is yr order date?

Final UPDATE:

Located: Northern Virginia
MYLR White/Black, 20's
OD: 1/15 (Originally thought 1/14 but apparently it was after midnight est)
EDD: 2/6-3/6
VIN: 2/1 assigned, Fremont.
Updated EDD: 2/14-2/21
Date Choice: 2/7
Delivery Date: Feb 17th.

Car picked up! Was raining so just did a general once over on the paint looking for big issues (Things that can't be buffed out) and touched everything inside ect. Only one thing noticed. A bit of excess clearcoat seems to have globbed on the corner of the fender, and a little popped paint bubble next to it that I don't care about. I would have had them fix it but PPF dropoff is tomorrow.

Did another once over this morning and everything is solid, gaps are good, seals solid ect. Either i'll fix it today or i'll pay a little extra to my PPF installer to address it. Overall good experience.
I have one of those marks on the driver’s passenger door right near the window. I wish it was someplace else because I have to see it every time I get in the car. I think it would have done more damage trying to have them fix it.

We could have passed on the tow hitch (we'll be using it mostly for bikes) but having it done as an aftermarket thing seems kind of iffy due to all the craziness with deliveries and servicing at the service center. Kind of painful because we miss out on a $2K NJ rebate. For us not worth the hassle and potential downtime versus the savings..
From your wording, the “aftermarket” part you’re talking about is actually the Tesla tow package for $1.3k, right? Otherwise, you wouldn’t have to deal with servicing at an SC.

Have you considered non-OE part? There are some you could do install your own if you can use a wrench. It’ll be less expensive and you don’t have to wait onTesla service timing, plus you get the NJ rebate.

It's a little more than that I think - We as a society are going through a massive technological shift and it's exciting to be a part of that change. At least for me the technology and where things are headed is fascinating. Also this is a great place to commiserate with fellow waiters desperate for some sort of information..

I do think Tesla is gaming us (consumers) a bit using inventory, factory scheduling (EDDs) and dynamic pricing to generate greater demand/FOMO. It worked with us after the first $500 price increase after the drop.
Oh, I fell for the FOMO before that price increase.

My initial plan, when I heard that one could apply the tax credit directly to the sale in 2024 was to wait until 2024 to make it easier on myself… but then thought about all the price changes previously and then tack on the possibility that Tesla could lose the tax credit itself due to the battery made me put the order in.

Even though the guidance has not released however the white paper already released.

Even IRS hasn't release battery guideline, the white paper already released.
If want to know A+B>10? however you only know A is 6, assume B is 5 then the statement is true, that's called assumption.
If you already know B is 6, then say thr statement is true. Is this called assumption?
But the white paper/guidelines can change.

Look at the simple fact that they change the price cap from $55k to $80k for the
Model Y and others.

That was a positive change for Tesla buyers, next might not be positive.

Therefore, it is an assumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and erktrek
Final UPDATE:

Located: Northern Virginia
MYLR White/Black, 20's
OD: 1/15 (Originally thought 1/14 but apparently it was after midnight est)
EDD: 2/6-3/6
VIN: 2/1 assigned, Fremont.
Updated EDD: 2/14-2/21
Date Choice: 2/7
Delivery Date: Feb 17th.

Car picked up! Was raining so just did a general once over on the paint looking for big issues (Things that can't be buffed out) and touched everything inside ect. Only one thing noticed. A bit of excess clearcoat seems to have globbed on the corner of the fender, and a little popped paint bubble next to it that I don't care about. I would have had them fix it but PPF dropoff is tomorrow.

Did another once over this morning and everything is solid, gaps are good, seals solid ect. Either i'll fix it today or i'll pay a little extra to my PPF installer to address it. Overall good experience.
Congratulations on your deliver. Frustrating that the paint defect made it through Tesla’s quality control.

Welp, was all excited to finally pick up my car on Sunday morning… saw the call come in thinking it was to finalize details but instead it was “During our QC check we found that the lift gate was damaged during shipping and so we won’t be able to release the car to you.” 😩😩😫😫😖😖
So now here I am waiting on another VIN. I feel like I’m starting all over again!
I'm amazed that they were completely honest with you about it. When the exact same thing happened to one that I bought from local inventory on 1/14, someone called to say "a logistics delay" caused the delivery date to be pushed back. When I asked the cause of the delay, the person on the phone said she didn't know and couldn't get that information. I had to do a lot of digging to finally find out that the rear hatch was dented and they were planning to replace the hatch at a body shop without telling me, then sell the repaired car to me as new. I rejected it and waited for a custom order, which I am picking up in ~3 hours, hoping for better results this time.

From your wording, the “aftermarket” part you’re talking about is actually the Tesla tow package for $1.3k, right? Otherwise, you wouldn’t have to deal with servicing at an SC.

Have you considered non-OE part? There are some you could do install your own if you can use a wrench. It’ll be less expensive and you don’t have to wait onTesla service timing, plus you get the NJ rebate.
Yes - but dont they have to weld the hitch to the frame or something like that? I don't have experience with this sort of stuff so am probably being exploited a bit.. the tow package for us was $1000. Mmm... I may have not thought my cunning plan all the way through. If I went with the non-tow option it could be added later.. Does Tesla have pre-drilled holes for a tow hitch?

Even though the guidance has not released however the white paper already released.

Even IRS hasn't release battery guideline, the white paper already released.
If want to know A+B>10? however you only know A is 6, assume B is 5 then the statement is true, that's called assumption.
If you already know B is 6, then say thr statement is true. Is this called assumption?
Your analogy doesn’t work and is flawed in the comparison.

Yes - but dont they have to weld the hitch to the frame or something like that? I don't have experience with this sort of stuff so am probably being exploited a bit.. the tow package for us was $1000. Mmm... I may have not thought my cunning plan all the way through. If I went with the non-tow option it could be added later.. Does Tesla have pre-drilled holes for a tow hitch?
No welding.

Depending on the hitch, it installs with the crash bar (bolted on) or replaces the bar.

Oops, they're both the same, in that they replace the bar. So, here's another from google.

The only issue I see is that most aftermarket ones aren't geared for the OE wiring. So, that's something to consider.

On the other hand, maybe you can buy the OE parts and install that. More expensive than aftermarket, but should get you everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek
Just did -- same response... we don't know anything but will let you know as soon as we do. I love how they marketed these as "Early Delivery Options" ... my patience is wearing thin. I would've just ordered the LR...
my MYAWD OD and VIN were on 2/9 from the inventory dump. I was able to talk to a local SA yesterday, and she mentioned the same. they don't have any insights as it's a preproduction factory inventory. they will only know when it's shipped to their location and that's when they will contact us. Any others updates would only happen in the app. Based on waitingfortesla site the built date was shown as Feb 13 to 18 in that inventory lot. there were like 200+. hopefully, we might hear something in the coming week.

Reactions: Alex425
my MYAWD OD and VIN were on 2/9 from the inventory dump. I was able to talk to a local SA yesterday, and she mentioned the same. they don't have any insights as it's a preproduction factory inventory. they will only know when it's shipped to their location and that's when they will contact us. Any others updates would only happen in the app. Based on waitingfortesla site the built date was shown as Feb 13 to 18 in that inventory lot. there were like 200+. hopefully, we might hear something in the coming week.
Nice - I didn't know waitingfortesla was a thing until a few days after I ordered so I wasn't able to catch the build date on those. I wonder how accurate that is...

Curious what everyone’s insurance quote a month or year was with excellent insurance rating
I currently have a '22 Tucson Hybrid insured with Nationwide for $74.88/mo. Quote for the new MYLR is $74.93/mo. (I don't know where I'll get the extra 5 cents a month!) Liberty Mutual quoted $136.50/mo. Tesla quoted $56.01/mo.