Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an EDD of 3/25-3/31 for a MYLR. I've been reading about the possibility of a HW4 announcement on Tesla Investor day on March 1st. One person speculated that Tesla may announce all vehicles currently in production will have HW4. How likely is that? I'm skeptical about this. I would like to accept the car in the current time frame I was given, but I would hate to miss out on the additional cameras/radar and potential safety improvements with HW4 potentially around the corner. I'm particularly concerned about the phantom breaking issues that seem to be related to the loss of radar functionality. I probably would not use FSD in the future, but improved safety aspects of HW4 are what appeal to me. At the same time, I don't want to wait several months or more for HW4 to be implemented in MY. "Around the corner" in Tesla time could be years. Do you think HW4 is imminent in M3/MY or just MS/MX?

Reactions: L1TR and tm3lrawd
OD - 01/18 6:00 AM PST--MYLR MSM BLACK 19" WHEEL
EDD 2/9 - 3/9
1/23/23 EDD 2/20 - 3/27
** Update 2/5/23 8:00 am
EDD CHANGED 2/16 - 3/16
*** 2/14/23 6:00 am
EDD CHANGED AGAIN 3/12 - 3/31...
kind of mad about this when I have seen several model y with same options either being delivered or for sale on the Tesla site --- none in my area though...

** 2/16 canceled order ---- found nice 2022 MY for about 7k cheaper and it only had 1,000 miles on it. Really like Tesla cars but, the bullshit with ordering and getting "passed over" to fill a area like ohio with uneeded cars sucks ! Should be fill the orders as the come into the queue. There shouldn't be " can only be registered in such and such".... it's not like the USA is separate countries grouped together... I can by any other car from a neighboring state and registered it at my home state-- why can't I do that with a tesla ?
Could you share some portion of your RN number? Just to gauge the volume?

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
Just putting this out there but in existing inventory, I currently see a 2023 Tesla MY LR red exterior, black interior, 20 inch wheels in Long Island, NY for $58,990.

Obviously not the cheapest price but you would probably be able to pick it up relatively soon instead of waiting for next quarter.

EDD has not changed for the last three weeks or so for me. Texting SA but they just said I should expect the VIN within the EDD window. Crossing my finger that EDD will not move back

I switched mine to 20" and got VIN the next morning.
OD: 01/17
EDD1: March 21 - March 31
EDD2: Feb 26 - March 21
EDD3: March 1 - March 7 ( After VIN assigned on 02/17, wheels changed to 20" on 02/16)
RN number, just to identify volume?

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
I have an EDD of 3/25-3/31 for a MYLR. I've been reading about the possibility of a HW4 announcement on Tesla Investor day on March 1st. One person speculated that Tesla may announce all vehicles currently in production will have HW4. How likely is that? I'm skeptical about this. I would like to accept the car in the current time frame I was given, but I would hate to miss out on the additional cameras/radar and potential safety improvements with HW4 potentially around the corner. I'm particularly concerned about the phantom breaking issues that seem to be related to the loss of radar functionality. I probably would not use FSD in the future, but improved safety aspects of HW4 are what appeal to me. At the same time, I don't want to wait several months or more for HW4 to be implemented in MY. "Around the corner" in Tesla time could be years. Do you think HW4 is imminent in M3/MY or just MS/MX?
How much are you willing to pay extra for HW4? I saw a $2k increase after my order date and I don’t want to pay that much extra for HW4. Who knows where MY price will be when it gets announced.

Just like any other electronic device you purchase, there will always be small or big improvements to the product as the years progress. Apple with their M1/M2 chips (MacBooks), Google with their Tensor chips (Google Pixels), etc.

You can wait several months or a full year to get a Tesla with the new HW4 but then you can say the same thing with HW4.5, HW5, or any other design/engineering change they make down the road. Also we won't know the prices of all the vehicles in the future so that's also another thing to think about.

I'm not an electrician, but I did the same thing sort of. Well I tried anyway. I re-used the 6-3 NM-B wire to wire up my Tesla charger. The inspector failed the inspection. I did not know that wire is rated by temperature it can handle. The higher the temp rating the higher the amperage it can handle. Most big box stores that sell 6-3 is going to be NM-B and rated at 60C with max load of of 55amps which is fine for NEMA 14-50. Tesla charger requires a 60amp breaker and therefore needs wire to be rated for at least 60amps. So I had to get THHN wire in flexible metal conduit from Southwire which is rated at 90C with max amps of 75. So much for re-using the hot tub wire, I had to pull it and save it for something else someday LoL. Luckily my power company has a $750 rebate for installing Tier 2 EV chargers!

Source: Cerrowire Resources - Ampacity Charts
Im just using a Lectron Wallbox. It’s a 40 amp charger using a 50 amp breaker. When I charge I set the car to charge at 35 amps. It works great.
Obviously if we install a Tesla Wall Connector, we will run new wire and breaker. It’s only about 7 feet from our breaker box in the garage.

This is the best deal in wire, it's UF made for outdoors but can be used indoors. It's harder to pull and strip but almost half the price of 6/3 romex and it's better as the sheeting is made for direct burial.

Southwire 50 ft. 6/3 Gray Stranded CU UF-B W/G Wire 14782722 - The Home Depot
Again, prefacing that I am not an electrician and always follow directions and local electrical codes. That's fine if you only plan to use 50 amp load, UF-B is rated for max of 55amps. So if you are wiring up the NEMA 14-50 then its perfect.

One thing I should have clarified earlier is that if you are wiring up a Tesla wall charger, you only need 6-2 wire, if you get 6-3 then you are paying for copper you do not need. The Tesla wall charger recommends a NON-GFCI breaker in the panel because the Tesla wall charger has an auto resetting GFCI breaker built into it. So, you just need two HOTs L1 and L2 and then a ground wire.

Source: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
Page 25 Step 5

Reactions: eRoamin and msinfo
Slightly off topic but appreciate any insights. Does anyone know if the address on license should match with delivery address to pickup the car at dealer? I have an out of state license so wondering if this matters. My utility bills all have current addres.

Again, prefacing that I am not an electrician and always follow directions and local electrical codes. That's fine if you only plan to use 50 amp load, UF-B is rated for max of 55amps. So if you are wiring up the NEMA 14-50 then its perfect.

One thing I should have clarified earlier is that if you are wiring up a Tesla wall charger, you only need 6-2 wire, if you get 6-3 then you are paying for copper you do not need. The Tesla wall charger recommends a NON-GFCI breaker in the panel because the Tesla wall charger has an auto resetting GFCI breaker built into it. So, you just need two HOTs L1 and L2 and then a ground wire.

Source: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
Page 25 Step 5
Hello, it is correct that we can use 6/2 if installing a Tesla wall connector. I thought about it and decided to still go with 6/3 - because (just in case), if in future I decided to move, I can take the wall connector with me and replace with a 14-50 NEMA receptacle. I have not yet installed it, but in the 'researching stage' as I am like many here - waiting for my Model Y Long range. What do you think? Thanks!

Hello, it is correct that we can use 6/2 if installing a Tesla wall connector. I thought about it and decided to still go with 6/3 - because (just in case), if in future I decided to move, I can take the wall connector with me and replace with a 14-50 NEMA receptacle. I have not yet installed it, but in the 'researching stage' as I am like many here - waiting for my Model Y Long range. What do you think? Thanks!
OH yeah, I hadn't thought about the moving part. Mostly because I probably won't move :) But that's a really good idea allowing you to take the Tesla wall charger with you.

This wire is rated so you can run the Tesla charger at the full 60amp (Well it actually only charges at 48 to the car). This is similar to what I got, but 6-3 instead. There are various lengths on that page. There are vendors that will sell it by the foot as well. I think it's worth the extra bucks to get the speed boost on the charge. I did some calculations and it could take up to 1.5 hours longer on a full charge if you were running at a lower 40amps charge. This is only a guess, since I too am waiting for Model Y delivery.

I never got a confirmation text either. I eventually got one asking if I wanted to edit my order, but nothing initially. its different depending on your location and service team.

Same here. I only had my order update in the app, and an email. Never got a text for either the primary order, or the first EDD change (going to a date range). I usually get a reply within a couple of hours of contacting the SA over text.

OH yeah, I hadn't thought about the moving part. Mostly because I probably won't move :) But that's a really good idea allowing you to take the Tesla wall charger with you.

This wire is rated so you can run the Tesla charger at the full 60amp (Well it actually only charges at 48 to the car). This is similar to what I got, but 6-3 instead. There are various lengths on that page. There are vendors that will sell it by the foot as well. I think it's worth the extra bucks to get the speed boost on the charge. I did some calculations and it could take up to 1.5 hours longer on a full charge if you were running at a lower 40amps charge. This is only a guess, since I too am waiting for Model Y delivery.

Thanks for the link - added to my TeslaY wish list along with other stuff such as floor mats, screen covers, etc. Will start pulling the trigger one by one when I get the delivery date confirmed :). Good luck to you and to all! It has been crazy...

Thanks for the link - added to my TeslaY wish list along with other stuff such as floor mats, screen covers, etc. Will start pulling the trigger one by one when I get the delivery date confirmed :). Good luck to you and to all! It has been crazy...
That's a smart move otherwise you'll end up like me with a basement full of Tesla accessories and no Tesla for the foreseeable future (Apr-May). I was maybe a tad over-zealous/eager.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenearth2129
That's a smart move otherwise you'll end up like me with a basement full of Tesla accessories and no Tesla for the foreseeable future (Apr-May). I was maybe a tad over-zealous/eager.

I'm up to a couple of dozen items in my Amazon cart but waiting for VIN and delivery date as well..

The only thing you need ahead of delivery (for delivery day) 😜

613ogMkDwQS._AC_SL1001_.jpg

question: How many vehicles does Austin produce in a day?
I was assigned a VIN on Thursday PA0626XX I Read this morning one of the members got assigned a VIN PA077XXX my math tells me thats around 14,314 difference in sequence My vehicle comes with 15 miles on the odometer. This concerns me that my assigned Model Y was possibly a reject unless Austin really does produce this many vehicles within two or so days.
My delivery appointment is today at 12 noon. Any and all input would be appreciated.