Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYP has the EDD 3/15 - 3/31. Do you guys think tow package is delaying my delivery? I’m thinking about removing it from my design but afraid it wouldn’t help expedite the process and puts me back of the line again. Also say if I do remove it from my design, since the price will be lowered by $1000 does that mean I have to re-do my financing via Tesla again?

What is your OD? I have a MYP W/W no tow with an OD of 2/5 and an EDD 3/8-3/31. I know ordered much later than most on here, but hoping the window doesn’t slip.

Received VIN and Delivery date (Feb 21) within two hours apart on Thursday Feb 16, 2023. I was not given a window for the delivery. I accepted Feb 21st to pick up as it is convenient for me. Is it normal to get the VIN and delivery date on the same day?
I think that since you're in Austin, it's perfectly understandable if that's where your car is being built. The further you are from the factory, the longer the lead time. My car was built on 2/14 and is expected to arrive at the SC on 2/27, and I still don't have a delivery date.

Reactions: BailMY and erktrek
I think that since you're in Austin, it's perfectly understandable if that's where your car is being built. The further you are from the factory, the longer the lead time. My car was built on 2/14 and is expected to arrive at the SC on 2/27, and I still don't have a delivery date.
Thanks! You confirmed my guess! Hope you'll get your delivery date soon. All the best!

So I called the assistance number the website was showing and no one answered. Then I contacted Tesla through the chat and the Tesla Advisor told me that the tasks will open when I get a VIN. And that the following days I will get a more specific timeline. Because now it says Feb Mar 2023 and we are already in the middle of February.

Yeah, I would assume that this would be acceptable if you showed them that you set the charger to 50amp during the commissioning process. But perhaps they might say "This isn't good enough, because you could change it later after I leave". But yeah, the Tesla wall charger can be programmed to run at 15a-60a.

This is a long post - skip it if you don't care about how you're going to charge this new car of yours :)

First, it will mostly depend on your AHJ - Authoritative Housing Jurisdiction - the local code inspector whether, as to whether it gets passed or not. You should call your town office and ask what they would require. But here are some notes on this comment and others that followed it.

If you want to do it by code, then Romex 6-3, 60 degree rated, which is only rated at a continuous load of 55 amps, should NOT pass inspection if used with a 60amp Tesla wall charger - despite the fact that you could override the amount of current that charger can draw. It can pull 60 amps, so you need it on wire and breaker that can sustain 60 amps. 14-50 outlet would be fine with 6-3 but not if you're going to hardwire a Tesla wall outlet with it. Do people do it? Yes. Is it safe if you make sure your charger isn't pulling more than 50 amps? It should be, assuming you did everything else right. Is it up to code? Nope, not on a TWC. And I'm guessing there are plenty of setups that aren't up to code that are "safer" than bad installs that are up to code, but that's sort of beside the point.

To speak to the 6-2/6-3 lingo.... The six is the gauge of wire, the second number is the number of conductors. 6-2 is two conductors and a ground wire. 6-3 is three conductors and a ground (it has an extra wire for neutral). But since the TWC only wires up with 2 hots and a ground (no neutral), 6-2 would be technically possible (though in violation of code) and so would 6-3 because the neutral wire would just be hanging out, not connected to anything (but also not up to code). I do know some people that have used 6 gauge romex (or NM-B), and just chose not to inspect it (cuz it wouldn't pass). I didn't want to go that route because, well, I don't want my house to burn down (or family to perish), and if I do have an issue, I want don't want an insurance company to deny a claim because I didn't pull a permit. You will read others on here to tell you to always pull a permit, and this is why.

If you want to be compliant with code, you will need individual 6 awg THHN wire (90 degrees, which if you look at the chart, will see it can carry more amps than romex 60 degree) for the hots and I used 8awg for the ground (think you can use 10awg). And that will need to be in at least 3/4" metal conduit, if in a garage, or schedule 80 PVC because it must be protected from physical damage (for good reason!).

Doing it yourself is not for the faint of heart, and sort of silly if you live in NJ or anywhere that gives you a rebate to install chargers (though TWC doesn't qualify in NJ amazingly enough). I had already ordered the TWC when I ordered the car before I realized the rebate stuff. Also, I thought it was easier than it looked and have service disconnect to de-energize my entire panel, and because of those reasons, decided to do it myself. I was able to borrow a conduit bender, and I'm very handy (and a good thing I was). I had to replace an LB box (cut away without hurting the wires in side) with a junction box as part of the project. I also ended up swapping out the 60-amp breaker I bought on Amazon because it was non-UL-listed and was getting hot and tripping, despite my correctly torqueing down the lugs properly. The new breaker only gets "very warm" after extended charging.

And despite all this effort, I think I will still take the charger down to 40 amps to reduce the load/stress on the circuit. 48 just isn't necessary! So keep that in mind when considering your charging options.

I have my inspection scheduled for Tuesday and guess we'll see!

That's how it works in Canada.

In the US, that's still compliant...for now.
It's not just that... if you have a 60 amp breaker on the circuit with wire that is only rated at 55 continuous amps, that's asking for a fire, isn't it? And let's say he takes the TWC with him when he moves, and the new owner moves in and says, "Ah, look at this, a 60 amp circuit, perfect for a Tesla Wall Charger!". And yes, that TWC will only draw a max of 48 amps on a 55 amp circuit. Safe? I should have to think so! Code? Arguably not. It's a 60 amp breaker on a wire rated for a continuous 55 amps. And before you jump on me - you don't have to argue with me - you have to argue with the guy that's inspecting it, if you want it permitted. And hey, it might even pass, you never know. All up to your inspector. There is "safe" and then there is up to code, and whether it gets passed by your inspector.

Stopped by the local SC today. Handful of new Y’s. Mostly Austin with a few Fremont. Austin made all have non-matrix. Fremont made all have matrix. All looked basically perfect on the outside. I noticed on the Austin builds they fixed the small rear driver side door alignment issue I noticed on several a few weeks ago. One Fremont build has a door with a noticeable gap, looks like it already had been pulled aside to adjust, had info written in the window. Seems this was done before attempt to deliver, which is good to see. White and red color, no MSM, black or blue.

It's not just that... if you have a 60 amp breaker on the circuit with wire that is only rated at 55 continuous amps, that's asking for a fire, isn't it? And let's say he takes the TWC with him when he moves, and the new owner moves in and says, "Ah, look at this, a 60 amp circuit, perfect for a Tesla Wall Charger!". And yes, that TWC will only draw a max of 48 amps on a 55 amp circuit. Safe? I should have to think so! Code? Arguably not. It's a 60 amp breaker on a wire rated for a continuous 55 amps. And before you jump on me - you don't have to argue with me - you have to argue with the guy that's inspecting it, if you want it permitted. And hey, it might even pass, you never know. All up to your inspector. There is "safe" and then there is up to code, and whether it gets passed by your inspector.
Canada will not pass a TWC connected to a circuit rated for less than 48 amps continuously because the charger CAN be reconfigured to pull that much current.

A TWC connected to a 50A breaker using 6/2 Romex or 8 AWG THHN won't pass in Canada, but it will in the US.

question: How many vehicles does Austin produce in a day?
I was assigned a VIN on Thursday PA0626XX I Read this morning one of the members got assigned a VIN PA077XXX my math tells me thats around 14,314 difference in sequence My vehicle comes with 15 miles on the odometer. This concerns me that my assigned Model Y was possibly a reject unless Austin really does produce this many vehicles within two or so days.
My delivery appointment is today at 12 noon. Any and all input would be appreciated.
I have a friend with PA074xxx delivery scheduled for next week. Mine is PA075xxx and EDD is TBD. the SA mentioned it's pre-production. with this data and assuming they are going in sequential order PA0626xx vin would have been built a couple of weeks back. need not necessarily be a reject someone would have cancelled their order.

Reactions: chobra and Alex425
AHJ = Authority Having Jurisdiction. :)
Nice LOL. I thought I might have messed that up. Shows you the extent of my “authority” and “jurisdiction”! And should serve as a stark reminder to take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt - myself included! I was doing some reading on the subject about ampacities and came across this: How Many Amps Can a 6/3 Wire Carry? - Expert’s Answer

Supposedly by experts and even "fact checked". How Many Amps Can a 6/3 Wire Carry? - Expert’s Answer
For a laugh, read the second part these mental giants wrote: "On the other hand, placing the wire in a 194-degree Fahrenheit environment may allow the cabling to carry up to 75 amps."

That site looks legit, and comes up pretty quickly on Google, but clearly the author (or the "fact checker") doesn't seem to understand that high ambient heat is a bad thing, that lowers the amount of amps a wire can safely carry. He didn't realize that it's the wire being rated for certain, higher temps, that allows it to safely carry more amps! Not the ambient temp! Wow. Scary that this stuff is even out there!

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Delivery day was yesterday. The build quality on my car is very good. I don't think much better can be expected from any manufacturer. I am very particular about the details, I notice flaws in vehicles that other people don't, and I struggled to find any legitimate flaw with this vehicle. The paint, the trim, the panel gaps and alignments, all were exactly as I would expect them to be. I was concerned about the reputation and the horror stories from forums, Youtube, and others. Even the stories of "flawless" deliveries made me wonder if those people were either missing something, or they got lucky, but after spending an hour browsing the lot at the Fremont factory with hundreds of cars, I don't think that there's any reason to stress about build quality any more than you would for any other car.

That said, I did find a very small problem. Just after I accepted the car in the app, a defect caught my eye. It was a very small, very shallow dent on the driver door, likely from the door of an adjacent car being opened into it. The defect is so minor that it's near impossible to take a picture of. I had a friendly, helpful employee take a look. She acknowledged the defect, and asked me to open a service request. I am expecting a visit from mobile service on Thursday.

In contrast to the Model Y's finish and build quality, Tesla's customer service is likely to leave you frustrated. There are many people there who are hard-working, effective, and thoughtful, but they are overshadowed by those who are flippant, ineffective, and feel compelled to be dishonest in every communication. The problems are compounded by the crush of orders and interest right now, I'm sure the same levels of staffing two months ago were more than adequate. Currently, the staff are worn out and indignant, and the customer ends up being the one picking up the slack.

Southwest Ohio.
OD: 1/14/23 Base ModelY. White/Black/19" $52.9k
VIN 2/6/23
Schedule Delivery Text: 2/13/23
Scheduled Delivery 2/19/23
Fremont Build
PF673XXX
Out of Stock on Mudflaps, No Tire Kit included.

Picked up today.

3 issues, all resolved in a few minutes.
- Rubber gasket was not properly seated over fabric near front passenger, tech used a pry tool to fix.
- hood was slightly not flush, tech rotated a plug to align.
- clip was missing in screw in from passenger wheel well, tech installed.

Matrix headlights, pretty painless experience. Had to make a grocery run after we got home, took my 07 accord instead 😂

My PA064 was supposedly built on 1/26 (vin assigned 1/27), so yours would be a bit older than that. I got the build date by asking on the 510 number.
question: How many vehicles does Austin produce in a day?
I was assigned a VIN on Thursday PA0626XX I Read this morning one of the members got assigned a VIN PA077XXX my math tells me thats around 14,314 difference in sequence My vehicle comes with 15 miles on the odometer. This concerns me that my assigned Model Y was possibly a reject unless Austin really does produce this many vehicles within two or so days.
My delivery appointment is today at 12 noon. Any and all input would be appreciated.