Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That depends on the trim. The MYAWD (i.e., 4680 batteries) can't be custom ordered ATM, so they show up in inventory as soon as they are scheduled to be built. MYLR and MYP that show up in inventory OTOH are either cancelled or rejected orders that are already built and are somewhere between the factory and the destination SC.
Regardless, still misleading.

Reactions: dion009
question: How many vehicles does Austin produce in a day?
I was assigned a VIN on Thursday PA0626XX I Read this morning one of the members got assigned a VIN PA077XXX my math tells me thats around 14,314 difference in sequence My vehicle comes with 15 miles on the odometer. This concerns me that my assigned Model Y was possibly a reject unless Austin really does produce this many vehicles within two or so days.
My delivery appointment is today at 12 noon. Any and all input would be appreciated.
update!! I just returned from my delivery appointment. I had to reject my VIN today. I felt everyone at Tesla was lying to me. Via the App from the 510 telephone number I was told the born date was 2-3-23. While at the Delivery today my SA told me the born date was 1-30-23. VIN was assigned to me 2-16-23 @3 pm. The paint was terrible swirls on the clear coat unexceptable. deep Scratches into the paint itself on the tail gate left of the license plate. excess paint drip on the quarter panel above the headlights. The door jams had excessive gaps they claim were "within tolerance" When I asked what Tolerance was he refused to tell me claiming it was Tesla Policy not to reveal the tolerance measurement. Gaps where on both front passenger and driver doors. I was concern about possible cabin noise due to the large caps. So I asked to be able to test drive to listen for cabin noise. They refused. So I asked if I drive my car home and I find the gaps are causing unexceptable cabin noise and he told me " Be advised Mr Davila that cabin noise is not covered under warranty" I asked the tech to allow me to use his tool he was measuring the gap with so I could see the and measure the gap myself and he refused to lend it to me stating Tesla Policy not to allow a customer to use the tool. I refused delivery. After I refused they told me I would be placed back in the queve and would get my next vin in June if not later. I am an owner of three other Tesla and have purchased at least 5 tesla's since 2016 and never have I been treated like this with such distain.

update!! I just returned from my delivery appointment. I had to reject my VIN today. I felt everyone at Tesla was lying to me. Via the App from the 510 telephone number I was told the born date was 2-3-23. While at the Delivery today my SA told me the born date was 1-30-23. VIN was assigned to me 2-16-23 @3 pm. The paint was terrible swirls on the clear coat unexceptable. deep Scratches into the paint itself on the tail gate left of the license plate. excess paint drip on the quarter panel above the headlights. The door jams had excessive gaps they claim were "within tolerance" When I asked what Tolerance was he refused to tell me claiming it was Tesla Policy not to reveal the tolerance measurement. Gaps where on both front passenger and driver doors. I was concern about possible cabin noise due to the large caps. So I asked to be able to test drive to listen for cabin noise. They refused. So I asked if I drive my car home and I find the gaps are causing unexceptable cabin noise and he told me " Be advised Mr Davila that cabin noise is not covered under warranty" I asked the tech to allow me to use his tool he was measuring the gap with so I could see the and measure the gap myself and he refused to lend it to me stating Tesla Policy not to allow a customer to use the tool. I refused delivery. After I refused they told me I would be placed back in the queve and would get my next vin in June if not later. I am an owner of three other Tesla and have purchased at least 5 tesla's since 2016 and never have I been treated like this with such distain.
That sounds awful... wow.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you have better luck next time and Tesla finds a way to make it right.

Reactions: erktrek
Sorry to hear this. Hope you have better luck next time and Tesla finds a way to make it right.
unfortunately I left with the impression that TESLA does not care about customer service. They will not allow you to test drive your purchase They refuse to allow you to open the doors to inspect the interior. They expect you to take their word that they will take care of anything you claim is of a quality control issue. But what you dont realize is they are the ones determining what is poor quality and will refuse to tell you what guidance they even use to determine "Within Tolerance" your even if they plan to correct it. Take it home and we will decide what is exceptable. They make and enforce the rules without telling you how they reached that conclusion. I cant believe a car company in the 21 century is allowed to conduct business this way.

update!! I just returned from my delivery appointment. I had to reject my VIN today. I felt everyone at Tesla was lying to me. Via the App from the 510 telephone number I was told the born date was 2-3-23. While at the Delivery today my SA told me the born date was 1-30-23. VIN was assigned to me 2-16-23 @3 pm. The paint was terrible swirls on the clear coat unexceptable. deep Scratches into the paint itself on the tail gate left of the license plate. excess paint drip on the quarter panel above the headlights. The door jams had excessive gaps they claim were "within tolerance" When I asked what Tolerance was he refused to tell me claiming it was Tesla Policy not to reveal the tolerance measurement. Gaps were on both front passenger and driver doors. I was concern about possible cabin noise due to the large caps. So I asked to be able to test drive to listen for cabin noise. They refused. So I asked if I drive my car home and I find the gaps are causing unexceptable cabin noise and he told me " Be advised Mr Davila that cabin noise is not covered under warranty" I asked the tech to allow me to use his tool he was measuring the gap with so I could see the and measure the gap myself and he refused to lend it to me stating Tesla Policy not to allow a customer to use the tool. I refused delivery. After I refused they told me I would be placed back in the queve and would get my next vin in June if not later. I am an owner of three other Tesla and have purchased at least 5 tesla's since 2016 and never have I been treated like this with such distain.
Wow based on your findings it does indeed seem like you got a reject and they’re trying to push it into anyone willing to accept it.

Reactions: James2023y
Hi everyone! Longtime follower here posting for the first time…

I placed an order for a MYLR after the huge rush on 2/7. Watched this forum for awhile and took note of the delays in delivery for people who ordered weeks before me but that was to be expected.

Long story short - I received a text on 2/15 (almost a week after ordering) stating that I had been assigned a VIN from Fremont and then a few minutes following that to schedule for delivery. I couldn’t believe it!

Just picked up my car today and LOVE IT. No issues with panel gaps or interior quality. It was confirmed through text that if I saw any issues with the car to create a service ticket to address within 24 hrs / 100 miles.

Note that I do live in the Bay Area (CA) and must have been lucky when they made a black batch with white interior. My car does come with the adapter, trunk cover and matrix lights.

Hope some others get lucky like me 😊
Congrats! Absolutely beatiful car. IMO Nothing beats black ... when it is clean.

PS I've been driving black/black BMW for over 15 years and absolutely love it when clean! But I did order my Tesla White/Black LOL

Why does the installation manual suggest you can use lower breakers? I am not an electrician and certainly not a code inspector but the TWC says it can run on a circuit as low as 15 amps (configurable in the app as others have mentioned, but still).

• If installing for less than maximum power, refer to local electrical code to select correct conductors and ground wire size that are suitable for the chosen circuit breaker.
Why does the installation manual suggest you can use lower breakers? I am not an electrician and certainly not a code inspector but the TWC says it can run on a circuit as low as 15 amps (configurable in the app as others have mentioned, but still).

• If installing for less than maximum power, refer to local electrical code to select correct conductors and ground wire size that are suitable for the chosen circuit breaker.

The breaker is sized for the wiring, to ensure nothing will get too hot. The Tesla wall charger can be configured for different size breakers, depending on the loading in the panel you may opt for a lower rated breaker. If you configure the charger to pull more than the breaker, you’ll just end up tripping the breaker but cause no harm. But the wiring should be rated for the breaker that it’s attached to and aligned with the settings for the charger.

ughh i hate these stories.

my appointment is this week and i'm getting anxiety with the thought of having a similar experience.

The breaker is sized for the wiring, to ensure nothing will get too hot. The Tesla wall charger can be configured for different size breakers, depending on the loading in the panel you may opt for a lower rated breaker. If you configure the charger to pull more than the breaker, you’ll just end up tripping the breaker but cause no harm. But the wiring should be rated for the breaker that it’s attached to and aligned with the settings for the charger.
I understand that part but the person I was replying was implying that if you install a breaker smaller than 60Amps, then it would be out of code and should fail inspection. I just dont know that I agree with their position based on the information you provided here, and the Tesla user manual. The original poster was saying that it should fail because the TWC can do 48Amps so the breaker MUST BE 60 amps or else.

my appointment is this week and i'm getting anxiety with the thought of having a similar experience.
Me too, I pickup this Friday.

Remember folks, about 12,000 teslas are delivered per week in US. The happy stories are much less likely to post than the ugly stories. Imagine what thousands of “all ok” posts on this forum would look like?

I understand that part but the person I was replying was implying that if you install a breaker smaller than 60Amps, then it would be out of code and should fail inspection. I just dont know that I agree with their position based on the information you provided here, and the Tesla user manual. The original poster was saying that it should fail because the TWC can do 48Amps so the breaker MUST BE 60 amps or else.

I didn’t go back through all of the history, but you can install the TWC with a smaller breaker and configure it such. As you mention, there’s plenty of references in the user manual to configure the TWC for lower current especially when looking at the load sharing sections. You’d generally install a lower rated breaker when the loading is high inside the panel already, such is the case when there are more than one EV charger. A typical 200A service should not exceed the 80% rating either (I.e. 160A), so if you wanted to install 4 chargers, you wouldn’t be able to set the current at 48A for all of them. Maybe you install one or two 60A breakers, but the others would be much smaller. Otherwise you’d be upgrading your service to meet the demand.

But no, you shouldn’t fail inspection just because you use a smaller breaker than 60A as long as the wiring meets the breaker requirements.

There is something called Negativity Bias which can cause us to dwell on bad things rather than good.

Remember folks, about 12,000 teslas are delivered per week in US. The happy stories are much less likely to post than the ugly stories. Imagine what thousands of “all ok” posts on this forum would look like?

If you look back there are folks who have had great experiences too and have been excited to share especially in a thread like this..

It's certainly a waste of time and head space to fret about something that has not happened yet but we all do it. Just trust yourself and realize you can always say no or request someone else.

Ugh that is terrible! Would you be willing to share which service center/location this was at?

Reactions: sdq_11
MYP Update... that I have trouble trusting due to my experience thus far...🙃

Here's a full run through:

OD: 1/15 MYLR White/Black/20”
EDD: Jan-March
EDD2 on 1/23 -> 1/29-2/26
EDD3 on 1/30 -> 2/9-3/9

2/3 updated to MYP White/Black

EDD4 on 2/5 -> 2/5-2/18
Then day-by-day changes
EDD5 -> 2/6-2/18
EDD6 -> 2/7-2/18
EDD7 -> 2/8-2/18
EDD8 -> 2/9-2/18
EDD9 on 2/9 -> 2/18-3/18
EDD10 on 2/19 -> 2/23-3/9

NO VIN - which is why I have trouble believing any accuracy in this since I was given a shorter window before...
Located in Portland and I drove by the staging parking lot at Washington Square mall again the other day and there's about 400-500 Tesla's just sitting there waiting to be staged for delivery (plastic still on everything). All types of builds and specs.

My fingers are crossed that this is the last short range I'm given!
I have a similar timeline for OD and change to MYP and same color combinations, in addition I also have tow. I am picking up on 2/22.

I am really surprised your EDD and VIN have not firmed up yet. Short range like you said meant the same for me, impending VIN, could be any day now.

Reactions: michael_st
My MYP has the EDD 3/15 - 3/31. Do you guys think tow package is delaying my delivery? I’m thinking about removing it from my design but afraid it wouldn’t help expedite the process and puts me back of the line again. Also say if I do remove it from my design, since the price will be lowered by $1000 does that mean I have to re-do my financing via Tesla again?
I wouldn't risk messing with it when some folks had their times pushed out 1-2 months last week. My MYLR EDD is 3/16/3/31 with OD 1/27 (Tucson). I don't think it's the tow hitch delaying it over the demand since the price drop. I think it's more location driven. Of course, you could keep an eye on the available inventory. They seem to be dumping a bunch of them out there every few days although few are LR.

Actually 15 miles is on the odometer reported on DMV sales documents. Which according to law must be accurate when delivery
Mine is assigned yesterday morning with PA077xxx which also shows 15 miles. It's probably some kind of standard way, may be it has much lesser than that.
My first vin (which I rejected) had 4 miles on the odometer, the motor vehicle purchase agreement had 15 miles on it. My second VIN, which I accepted Saturday, said 15 miles on both the MVPA and the DMW title application, the actual car had 3 miles on it. 15 is Tesla's standard placeholder, I'm confident that someone from their legal department has looked into whether that's allowable under state law.

Me too, I pickup this Friday.

I agree with you, and having taken delivery of a near-flawless Model-Y in Fremont today and evaluated dozens more while wandering their lot, I can say pretty confidently that most are just fine. But I'll also say that there are a lot of people who don't even superficially check for the most common issues. In a way, I envy them, it would be so much more pleasant to be unaware of the possibility of problems with a new car.