Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do. Let's say Tesla assigns a VIN to me today (which is unlikely, but possible). Because I'm in Texas, I have to pay for the car before they'll ship it to or back to Texas. Now, let's say that it takes a week (optimistically) to ship the car which would be March 2. If the tax credit reduces or goes away on March 1, then I'm screwed.
You can ask for refund by rejecting delivery. Also you need to pay just one day prior not one week prior.

Reactions: Dayreg and geekfam
I assume that the cars are built sequentially based on VIN... would this be a correct assumption?

I have not received any emails since the order confirmation.
I assume so but then again after reading all the posts it seems like everything is out of order lol
I haven't seen a single thread about AWD being delivered. so will be interesting to see that pop up
my vin is PA0738##

Reactions: dion009
I assume that the cars are built sequentially based on VIN... would this be a correct assumption?

I have not received any emails since the order confirmation.

Last time I was at the Tesla store in Long Beach I had seen many MYLR being delivered, most Austin built, 90% probably, all Gemini wheels, Highest vin was PA071, I had an PA074 reservation that was not built at the time according to SA, he moved me into a same color/option car (MYAWD, Red, Induction) and said this car was already built, ready to load on the train for shipping and showed likely delivery of 3/1, 3/2, curiously it has a vin of PA080

• Helpful
Reactions: dion009
MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat interior
OD: 1/26
Original Design: MYLR White/Black/19"/7 seat interior
Original EDD: Feb-Mar
Updated EDD (2/2): 4/7 - 5/19
Changed Design (2/4): from 7-seater to 5-seater
Changed Design (2/15): from White to MSM color
Updated EDD (2/22): 4/6 - 5/11, slight movement yesterday

Question - I am wondering if my design changes impacted EDDs in anyway? I thought change from 7-seater to 5-seater would improve dates a bit..

Last time I was at the Tesla store in Long Beach I had seen many MYLR being delivered, most Austin built, 90% probably, all Gemini wheels, Highest vin was PA071, I had an PA074 reservation that was not built at the time according to SA, he moved me into a same color/option car (MYAWD, Red, Induction) and said this car was already built, ready to load on the train for shipping and showed likely delivery of 3/1, 3/2, curiously it has a vin of PA080
well if your vin is PA080 then i am assuming it might be sequential because i got the update on 2/16 saying it has been built and on its way
the funny thing is i dont have an EDD my vin is PA073. lets see how it goes. do you have the EDD on app?

I think you're misinterpreting the prepay situation. It sounds like you only need to pay at most a day before delivery. It's the IRS that's created all this uncertainty. If it weren't for the uncertainty around the tax credit:

1. Tesla wouldn't have suddenly dropped the prices to bring popular builds in line with the $55K limit.
2. There wouldn't have been such a rush on orders the last half of Jan.
3. We would all just place our orders, and let them come when they came.

Unless this is truly too much for your heart to stand, I'd wait before cancelling your order. I fail to see a scenario where you pay for the vehicle, and suddenly have the tax credit yanked away before you can take delivery.

Also, it's not all sunshine and rainbows at other dealers. We went to look at a RAV4 Prime the other day, and the dealer still had a $6K markup over MSRP, plus I would have had to order it and wait...sound familiar?
If it wasn't for all the uncertainty about the tax credit, 1/2 the angst would go away. There was not a deadline for anything when I ordered my M3 last year. It took about 8 weeks I think and it went by pretty quickly. I never refreshed the app at all. This year, it only took 5 weeks to get my MYLR, and it seemed like 3 months of waiting, dozens of app refreshes every day, and stressing. Tesla could provide a little more info along the way to make it a little better, but the risk of the car costing $3,750 to $7,500 more due to loss of tax credit was what worried me the most. Although, on the flip side, I probably wouldn't have ordered a MY if the base price didn't come down to $53k. I was already looking at other options that were around that price.

Reactions: Yomanjm and Nen81
If it wasn't for all the uncertainty about the tax credit, 1/2 the angst would go away. There was not a deadline for anything when I ordered my M3 last year. It took about 8 weeks I think and it went by pretty quickly. I never refreshed the app at all. This year, it only took 5 weeks to get my MYLR, and it seemed like 3 months of waiting, dozens of app refreshes every day, and stressing. Tesla could provide a little more info along the way to make it a little better, but the risk of the car costing $3,750 to $7,500 more due to loss of tax credit was what worried me the most. Although, on the flip side, I probably wouldn't have ordered a MY if the base price didn't come down to $53k. I was already looking at other options that were around that price.
I agree. The tax credit thing + Tesla telling MYAWD buyers their cars were in “existing inventory” (despite not even being built yet) has made this process almost unbearable.

I do. Let's say Tesla assigns a VIN to me today (which is unlikely, but possible). Because I'm in Texas, I have to pay for the car before they'll ship it to or back to Texas. Now, let's say that it takes a week (optimistically) to ship the car which would be March 2. If the tax credit reduces or goes away on March 1, then I'm screwed since I've already paid for a car that doesn't qualify for the tax credit.
In that scenario, don't you own the car as soon as you pay for it so wouldn't your date be today? I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of Texas Tesla buying.

I agree. The tax credit thing + Tesla telling MYAWD buyers their cars were in “existing inventory” (despite not even being built yet) has made this process almost unbearable.
yup I agree with you all the AWD show up as "coming soon to" I assumed it should be quick since it shows in inventory probably everyone thought the same thing that the car must be ready to deliver.

has anyone follow waitingfortesla.com for live inventory updates. are the ones show up there all spoken for already or they're available for people to jump in? if the later case, when i call in to tesla what should i tell them? the website only provides ID such as this ( ID: 7SAY234_27FDF65BF0AFCE966298663D1A88D0E1), there's no VIN for the vehicle.

the inventory MYAWD when I ordered I specifically cross-checked with them on the chat. the rep in the chat guided me through the whole process. He said you would have this vehicle in 2 weeks. VIN was assigned straightaway 4 days later an email came in saying your great news vehicle is on its way. that was 2 weeks back. the EDD on the app has always been showing TBD. every time we check with 510 rep or local SC they always say its pre-production and they don't have any insights and we will only know when it's shipped. I wouldn't have ordered it if not for the tax break. Will have to cancel it if won't make it for that.

Reactions: Alex425
Is yours an Austin build ? When did you get your VIN assigned ? ( I was assigned on 02/17, PA080xxx, Austin build). Also, I am in OC too with Buena Park being my delivery center.
My vin was assigned late 2/15, but text came 2/16. PA075xxx Austin build. Was able to schedule delivery yesterday with option of 2/25-2/27. Choose 2/27 (in OC too).

Was told via text today that it is coming with matrix headlights (but I have not seen or heard of any MY with matrix headlights coming out of Austin) and cargo cover….but we shall see on Monday.

Last edited:
My vin was assigned late 2/15, but text came 2/16. PA075xxx Austin build. Was able to schedule delivery yesterday with option of 2/25-2/27. Choose 2/27 (in OC too).

Was told via text today that it is coming with matrix headlights (but I have no seen or heard of any MY with matrix headlights coming out of Austin) and cargo cover….but we shall see on Monday.

would be awesome if austin builds start having matrix headlights now.

going to find out later this afternoon when i pick up.

has anyone follow waitingfortesla.com for live inventory updates. are the ones show up there all spoken for already or they're available for people to jump in? if the later case, when i call in to tesla what should i tell them? the website only provides ID such as this ( ID: 7SAY234_27FDF65BF0AFCE966298663D1A88D0E1), there's no VIN for the vehicle.
The ones on waitingfortesla will still be available to order and they should match ones found searching existing inventory on Tesla's own site. Waitingfortesla shows build dates for the cars but not the full VIN. The MYAWD build dates were always a week or so in the future from when they showed up on the site (and on Tesla.com). I think on tesla's site they say "coming soon". It seems that they are delayed significantly more than the "build date". They may need to be sorted and get on trucks. Drone footage shows hundreds of MY just parked outside Giga Texas so a lot of staging going on which delays the actual delivery date even for these MYAWDs.

MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat interior
OD: 1/26
Original Design: MYLR White/Black/19"/7 seat interior
Original EDD: Feb-Mar
Updated EDD (2/2): 4/7 - 5/19
Changed Design (2/4): from 7-seater to 5-seater
Changed Design (2/15): from White to MSM color
Updated EDD (2/22): 4/6 - 5/11, slight movement yesterday

Question - I am wondering if my design changes impacted EDDs in anyway? I thought change from 7-seater to 5-seater would improve dates a bit..
I have an OD of 1/25 with MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 and my EDD is 4/2-5/7 coming to New Jersey. Guessing they are being built around the same batch.

Reactions: erktrek