Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a notice in the app that something was affecting my delivery - turns out Tesla asked me to confirm that I am okay with Tesla Vision today, the day before delivery. Seems like odd timing, but at least it wasn't moving my delivery out.
This is interesting, my delivery was 6 days ago, as far as I know, nothing has changed with Tesla Vision since then, but there was no message or confirmation about it then. I definitely don't have ultrasonic sensors, and wasn't expecting them since that change started in October. Did Tesla get a bunch of reports of upset customers who expected this feature? 🤔

If you need smoother experience then 19" wheels MYLR is best. But if you need a feel of a sports car then MYP worth the extra 4k. I drove MYLR and MYP and I really like the pickup of MYP at turns and intersection.

Following are the major differences.

1. 21" wheels compared to 19" ( remember 2k extra for just 20" wheels on MYLR)
2. Upgraded rear motor
3. Spoiler and aluminum pedals ( it's just cosmetic but still I like it)
4. Also I see better tires comes with MYP (Michelin) but yes they are staggered and need to be changed like every 4 years based on usage.
Don't forget about the Matrix headlights... and yes "every 4 years" is pretty standard for even the most normal ICE cars. I have heard people changing out tires every 2 years.. but that can be subjective.

Last edited:
The rear motor is the same across the MY. Or at least there are MYLR that have the same motor as the MYP (4D1).

Rather than upgraded, its more like a “less restricted” motor.

As for the pickup… maybe I’m just not in that “space” yet, due to being perfectly fine with 0-60 in 8-9-10 seconds or so of my 2019 Honda HR-V or 2010 Honda Fit (which I supercharged for shits and giggles as if to spite all the bullshitters that said they’d do it, but chickened out). I tried seeing how fast I could pull 0-60 in my Fit before the supercharger and got around 10 seconds… never tried 0-60 after that (with either vehicle).

Anyway, I digress.. what I was trying to say was… dunno if I’d notice the pickup difference between MYLR and MYP. It’s in the realm of tape measures and stopwatches, which is beyond me. I mainly got MYP for the software options and already included suspension change.

Better suspension is subjective. A lower center of gravity (via shorter/stiffer springs) usually helps lessen body roll. I will prioritize lessening body roll over how it feels when going over bumps or ground clearance.

So, you want to talk value for money and then suggest parts that can be installed for $1k?

Let’s continue that, shall we?

As predeep1231 mentioned, the wheels will costs something similar to switching to 20”, so $2k+. Now you’re within $1k.

Also mentioned was acceleration boost, which is another $2k. Now, you’re spending $1k more than the MYP and still haven’t matched the acceleration and top speed.

Now, with the recent holiday update, MYP gets track mode in software. This allows a number of changes, some data gathering and even lap time recording. One of the changes I look forward to, is adjusting the output ratio of front vs rear (granted, it’s by lowering output of one of the motors).

If none of these things are interesting to you.. that means money for value was never really a consideration to begin with. You simply liked the MYLR and tried to justify it for no reason. Not sure why people find it necessary to justify liking something. You like it, great. If not, oh well.
Lower center of gravity doesnt mean much unless you plan on taking 90 degree turns at high speeds. MYLR has a lower center of gravity than most of the SUVs out there.
$2k extra for uberturbine wheels...not worth it because they are less comfortable and prone to damage. Just because one wants the wheels to look better, I would rather spend $200 to get amazing uberturbine looking rim covers for the gemini.
$2k extra just to unlock hardware that you already have in MYLR i.e. the motors makes no sense to me that too just for the extra acceleration which the average driver does not feel/care about.
Track mode only applicable to people who want to drive at high speeds/race....not for average 99% of the drivers out there including myself.
Staggered wheels...such a pain to manage tire rotation and maintain.
I care more about the comfort of the car and will spend very less money on the wheel covers/acceleration. People can spend all the money they want for whatever reason they can justify. When I give my opinion, I assume most people are average drivers coming from Hondas and not Corvettes.

Last edited:
Lower center of gravity doesnt mean much unless you plan on taking 90 degree turns at high speeds. MYLR has a lower center of gravity than most of the SUVs out there.
$2k extra for uberturbine wheels...not worth it because they are less comfortable and prone to damage. Just because one wants the wheels to look better, I would rather spend $200 to get amazing uberturbine looking rim covers for the gemini.
$2k extra just to ulock th hardware that you already have in MYLR i.e. the motors makes no sense to me that too just for the extra 5 seconds which the average driver does not feel/care about.
Track mode only applicable to people who want to drive at high speeds/race....not for average 99% of the drivers out there including myself.
Staggered wheel...such a pain to manage tire rotation and all.
I care more about the comfort of the car and will spend very less money on the wheel covers/acceleration. People can spend all the money they want for whatever reason they can justify. When I give my opinion, I assume most people are average drivers coming from Hondas and not Corvettes.
I came from two back to back Hondas… HR-V and Fit.

But again, there’s no point in trying to “justify” it, if you simply aren’t interested.

All of those things do matter to those that want it. If you didn’t want it… well, why isn’t the “performance” in the name already enough of a clue?

The rear motor is the same across the MY. Or at least there are MYLR that have the same motor as the MYP (4D1).

Rather than upgraded, its more like a “less restricted” motor.

As for the pickup… maybe I’m just not in that “space” yet, due to being perfectly fine with 0-60 in 8-9-10 seconds or so of my 2019 Honda HR-V or 2010 Honda Fit (which I supercharged for shits and giggles as if to spite all the bullshitters that said they’d do it, but chickened out). I tried seeing how fast I could pull 0-60 in my Fit before the supercharger and got around 10 seconds… never tried 0-60 after that (with either vehicle).

Anyway, I digress.. what I was trying to say was… dunno if I’d notice the pickup difference between MYLR and MYP. It’s in the realm of tape measures and stopwatches, which is beyond me. I mainly got MYP for the software options and already included suspension change.

Better suspension is subjective. A lower center of gravity (via shorter/stiffer springs) usually helps lessen body roll. I will prioritize lessening body roll over how it feels when going over bumps or ground clearance.

So, you want to talk value for money and then suggest parts that can be installed for $1k?

Let’s continue that, shall we?

As predeep1231 mentioned, the wheels will costs something similar to switching to 20”, so $2k+. Now you’re within $1k.

Also mentioned was acceleration boost, which is another $2k. Now, you’re spending $1k more than the MYP and still haven’t matched the acceleration and top speed.

Now, with the recent holiday update, MYP gets track mode in software. This allows a number of changes, some data gathering and even lap time recording. One of the changes I look forward to, is adjusting the output ratio of front vs rear (granted, it’s by lowering output of one of the motors).

If none of these things are interesting to you.. that means money for value was never really a consideration to begin with. You simply liked the MYLR and tried to justify it for no reason. Not sure why people find it necessary to justify liking something. You like it, great. If not, oh well.
Sounds like you really like the MYP, and try to justify it...😄

This post piqued my interest so I googled Interstate 40. It crosses the Texas panhandle as it stretches from southern California to North Carolina. Traveling the entire length would be a worthy road trip for a MY.

View attachment 910764

ahhh..makes sense that i never heard of it.

in my 40+ years living in texas, never been to the panhandle.

only been to austin, dallas, houston and san antonio. always flown to those cities too.

Reactions: Patriots12
Btw I saw a video where they mention that they do updates to the order date only twice a day: 9AM ET and 9PM ET, unless a VIN is being assigned or you're close to delivery. Don't know if it's true though. However, after seeing that, I have started checking only twice a day :)
I can verify the 9am ET update. Whenever my EDD range was starting, I would check for a change at 8:55 and again at 9:05. The range would indeed change during that window of time. It happened three times.

MYLR White/Black, 19" Wheels, no options
OD: 1/22
EDD: Jan - Mar
EDD2: March 16 - 31 (changed on 01/25)
EDD3: March 11 - 31 (changed on 02/05)

On Feb 17, found exactly same trim in OH. Contacted to SA to check if it can be rerouted to TN, but it can't be rerouted anywhere. So we decided to go and pick it up in Cleveland, OH.
Same day got vin assigned (PF693***).

Now EDD: 3/2-3/9.

Interestingly, Tesla web-site was showing that car can only be resisted in certain states (no TN), but SA said that there won't be any issues and all registration paperwork will be sent to Tesla office in Nashville.
Just got a text and email to schedule my delivery. March 3-5 were available with pretty all time slots open from 10am to 4pm.
Picking it up next Friday (3/3).

PSA: don't rely on notifications. Check app daily. Mine had the "We'll notify you when it's time to continue with your pre-delivery tasks", and the status changed asking if I still wanted to Accept Delivery because it would not have the ultrasonic sensors. Never got any notification, just sitting there waiting for an answer. Luckily caught it right away

Sounds like you really like the MYP, and try to justify it...😄
I actually did try to justify it to myself.

I’m not a fan of humongous wheels. I’d rather have the 19” wheels that are narrower and lighter while I’m at it. I want smaller wheels to give myself some sidewall height to avoid denting the wheel (already did that to a set for my Fit). I want narrower wheels with either same or wider tires, to lessen my chances of curb rash… which I’ve also done with both my Fit and HR-V, unfortunately. And being lighter would help with my delivery job (lots of short trips with lots of stops per trip).

The suspension was kinda iffy. I might end up going lower later on, depending on if I can stand how much my mother struggles to get in and out (she uses a walker to get around). It’s a bit high for her. We’ll have to see in time.

But the software was really what sold me.

This post piqued my interest so I googled Interstate 40. It crosses the Texas panhandle as it stretches from southern California to North Carolina. Traveling the entire length would be a worthy road trip for a MY.
I-40 is only 172 miles in TX, but we travel it twice a year going from Maine to Arizona. When east bound, we pop onto I-40 just east of Albuquerque turning north on I-81 in VA. A little over 1200 miles on I-40 (over 1/3 of our 3000+ mile trip). If we get our MYLR by the end of March as EDD suggests, we'll only have had it about 6 weeks before we head to Maine for our first big road trip in it.

Reactions: WyoDude and fredzos