Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you. Im in similar situation.MYLR Basic configuration, OD 1/15, Completed Tesla Loan and registration process on 1/17 and still showing DD 03/05-03/31. Purchased wall chager and installed. No replay from any texts. My friend got his car with same spec. who ordered later with increased price in the same location. Going to cancel by end of Feb. as Tesla wished. 100% unfair treatment.

I read good discussions about cancelling order if tax credit is revised and instead of $7,500 we are to get $3,750. Some will cancel some will keep. For some of us who is taking delivery the first week (mine is 3/2) in March - we don't have much choice do we? I am not sure if IRS can come on - say Mon 3/6 and retrospectively reduce the tax credit from 3/1? I am ______ :(. I've already spend $4K (when the color and the wheel changed) of the potential $7,500. So, I am doubly ______. But hey, my wife is happy that she got her preferred color - Red. So, bottom line, happy wife - priceless :).

Reactions: geekfam and Dayreg
My initial order was MYLR (5 seater) W/W/19" on 1/30. Thanks to the forum, where I learned that there are some MY LR available in Cleveland area and by that time the $55K limit (to quality for IRS tax credit) on 5 seater was increased to $80K. We had to choose White exterior as white interior was a must for me and my wife to remain under $55K. Anyway, I found a R/W/20" in Cleveland on Thu 2/16 and called my SA Fri 2/17 morning. He was able to match my order number to the car showing up at Cleveland location and I had to pay $4K extra (Red+20" wheels). I hear many here did not have good experience with SA (or texting 510 number), but all my SA has been good in terms or responsiveness. So, this is my story - good luck.

My initial order was MYLR (5 seater) W/W/19" on 1/30. Thanks to the forum, where I learned that there are some MY LR available in Cleveland area and by that time the $55K limit (to quality for IRS tax credit) on 5 seater was increased to $80K. We had to choose White exterior as white interior was a must for me and my wife to remain under $55K. Anyway, I found a R/W/20" in Cleveland on Thu 2/16 and called my SA Fri 2/17 morning. He was able to match my order number to the car showing up at Cleveland location and I had to pay $4K extra (Red+20" wheels). I hear many here did not have good experience with SA (or texting 510 number), but all my SA has been good in terms or responsiveness. So, this is my story - good luck.
So you did not have 2 bookings at the same time before reaching out to SA, right?

I mean, did you pay $250 twice?

For a company that claims to be a "data company" instead of just an automobile manufacturer, they are data driven with real time info on all the areas they work. They purposely choose to hide data from a customer who paid an order fee and is willing to pay a significant amount of money to buy their car. They can easily make the data available to paid customers.
I suspect this aspect of the "customer relations" process is very low on the priority list BECAUSE they are a data/tech company with a very Silicon Valley mentality.

I don't attribute it to malice but maybe gaming the system (lots of folks are changing their orders to get the cars NOW) at worst and/or chaos due to demand and production ramp + new lines coming out at best. Our order won't be ready until the 2nd quarter production run as far as I can tell and as I've mentioned I'm hoping for some updates however minor - like to the cameras resolution etc.

Last edited:
If you are willing to share the tax credit(by upgrading your car), then they will give it to you earlier.
What doesn’t make sense to me on this line of reasoning is…then why don’t I get a call from an SA when a car *very* close to mine is available? Or an option to be notified this way? Or why are there so many cars sent to Cleveland as inventory and only able to be registered in a handful of states where no one has ordered one like it? Many people want a more expensive version, but are scared to change their order and be pushed back further or ignored by SA’s when they ask about an inventory car. A few have been successful, but it seems more like exceptions than any sort of corporate strategy.

I agree with you. Im in similar situation.MYLR Basic configuration, OD 15/1, Completed Tesla Loan and registration process on 17/1 and still showing DD 03/05-03/31. Purchased wall chager and installed. No replay from any texts. My friend got his car with same spec. who ordered later with increased price in the same location. Going to cancel by end of Feb. as Tesla wished. 100% unfair treatment.
This is a perfect example of higher price got prioritized first. There are still a few naive people wanting to believe it’s a logistics or supply chain constraint issues, LOL

Reactions: kcpd and dion009
Yup. Ordered 1/13. MYLR5 white/white, no other options. No VIN and current EDD is 3/7 - 3/21.

I did get the “we expect your VIN to be assigned in 1-2 weeks text this morning, so at least I know they haven’t forgotten about me.
Looks like our batch of white/white cars are finally going to be built. I got the same text this morning with OD 1/14 and EDD 3/6-3/20. SoCal area

Given that there are occasional vehicles in the inventory with 20" wheels, what are a buyer's options if 19" is truly preferred. Can one purchase the 20" version (paying the extra $2K), and negotiate some type of a deal with either Tesla or another Tesla owner to swap the 20" wheels for 19" plus some cash to offset at least part of the $2K cost?

I’m thinking about changing the color from W/W to R/W to be a little less common. I currently have an OD of 2/5 for the MYP with an EDD of 3/8-3/31 that hasn’t changed since 2/8. Any thoughts on how that may affect the delivery and the best way to go about changing it if I do decide to? I know the price is 2k more for red, but if I make any changes would I also need to pay for any increases that have occurred since I placed my order? Thanks!

I’m thinking about changing the color from W/W to R/W to be a little less common. I currently have an OD of 2/5 for the MYP with an EDD of 3/8-3/31 that hasn’t changed since 2/8. Any thoughts on how that may affect the delivery and the best way to go about changing it if I do decide to? I know the price is 2k more for red, but if I make any changes would I also need to pay for any increases that have occurred since I placed my order? Thanks!
A couple of us are in a similar situation with a MYP OD b/w 02/01 and 02/05. I would wait for another week to see how it goes down with those orders. MYP OD to DD has been around 30 days so if there is a significant delay over Mid-Late Jan orders we'll know by end of next week.

Given that there are occasional vehicles in the inventory with 20" wheels, what are a buyer's options if 19" is truly preferred. Can one purchase the 20" version (paying the extra $2K), and negotiate some type of a deal with either Tesla or another Tesla owner to swap the 20" wheels for 19" plus some cash to offset at least part of the $2K cost?
I'm highly doubtful that's possible but I hope someone else more experienced with Tesla can confirm. I know Tesla can install official Tesla accessories for you but you have to buy it yourself and bring it during service. I don't think they would just hand you free 19 inch tires even if they had them on hand.

I think you would have to purchase 19 inch tires, take delivery of the Tesla that come with 20 inch tires, and then ask Tesla if they or any other Tesla approved shop in the area can switch out the tires with the ones you have (this could cost you money though in addition to the $2k you paid for 20 inch wheels). Also, is there any additional physical configurations they would have to make to ensure the smaller wheels work correctly?

Again hopefully someone else has an answer.

Last edited:
I suspect this aspect of the "customer relations" process is very low on the priority list BECAUSE they are a data/tech company with a very Silicon Valley mentality.

I don't attribute it to malice but maybe gaming the system (lots of folks are changing their orders to get the cars NOW) at worst and/or chaos due to demand and production ramp + new lines coming out at best. Our order won't be ready until the 2nd quarter production run as far as I can tell and as I've mentioned I'm hoping for some updates however minor - like to the cameras resolution etc.
I feel this cause of all this high anxiety, uncertainty, and maneuvering by Tesla and we buyers was caused by hapless politicians and bureaucrats for creating a bill that could not be administered properly. Consider the difference in our attitudes and decisions if there was clarity from the beginning. Place the blame where it squarely belongs...

So you did not actually get the swapped car for the same price prior to the price increase It sounds. Nor did you swap for the same car/options. Had you found a MYLR W/W/19” in inventory, but yours had a EDD in April ish, according to what I have been told, you would not have received that car in inventory for the same price. You would be paying the increased price for the same car you had on order. Do I have that right?

So you did not actually get the swapped car for the same price prior to the price increase It sounds. Nor did you swap for the same car/options. Had you found a MYLR W/W/19” in inventory, but yours had a EDD in April ish, according to what I have been told, you would not have received that car in inventory for the same price. You would be paying the increased price for the same car you had on order. Do I have that right?
@greenearth2129 was fortunate to have their original pricing honored. I was told by a SA that if I swapped for an 'in inventory vehicle' I would have to pay the current price. On the other hand, if I edited my order and was subsequently matched by Tesla, then my current pricing would be honored. Perhaps the friendly SA, with a little slight of hand, did this on greenearth2129's behalf.

Reactions: erktrek
Exactly correct !

Reactions: Yomanjm