Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been lurking the thread for almost a month now since I ordered MYLR W/B/No additional options on 2/3 just only minutes before the price increase. My EDD hasn't changed at all, but current EDD is between 4/22 - 6/3. I have accepted the fact that I will not be getting the full tax credit at this point. If I get it, I get it, if I don't, I don't. I'm just happy that I got in before the price hike. ✌️

MYLR - Midnight Silver Metallic / Black Interior - 5 Seater - 19in

OD: 1/16
EDD1: 2/17-2/26
EDD2: Apr-Jun
EDD3: 2/24-3/5
EDD4: 2/25-3/6
EDD5: 2/26-3/7
EDD6 (Today): 2/27-3/8

I live 10 minutes from Fremont. I'm tired of Tesla keep pushing back my order by 1 day. I'm seriously considering upgrading to 20 inch wheels as there are plenty of those in the existing inventory stock.
How much rougher is the 20inch wheels when compared to the 19inch ones in terms of ride quality? Is 20inch upgrade worth it?

Really wanted to take delivery before March 1st so that I can qualify for the EV tax credit.
i did exactly that and picked up my car yesterday. it feels sportier for sure but def not a deal breaker. plus it looks much nicer than 19"

Been lurking the thread for almost a month now since I ordered MYLR W/B/No additional options on 2/3 just only minutes before the price increase. My EDD hasn't changed at all, but current EDD is between 4/22 - 6/3. I have accepted the fact that I will not be getting the full tax credit at this point. If I get it, I get it, if I don't, I don't. I'm just happy that I got in before the price hike. ✌️
Same order date 2/3 MYLR Red/White and 19” wheels, my EDD is 4/10 to 5/31.

I see some inventories with 20 inch wheels, don’t want to trade comfort for looks. I made up mind that if I get full EV credit it’s a bonus else am still happy.

Reactions: Antique_High80
Quick Update. Logged in to my account today and there are new dates.

Today (2/14) estimate: 3/8/2023 - 3/31/2023

Just to close out on this, for anybody curious about SoCal delivery times:

Model Y
Black Exterior
White Interior
Induction Wheels
7 Seat Config

Ordered on 1/24

Original Estimate: Feb - Apr
Update on 1/25: 4/5 to 5/17
Update on 2/14: 3/8 - 3/31
Update on 2/21: 3/3 - 3/8
Update on 2/23: Ready for delivery on 2/26

Picked the Car up on 2/26 from the Carlsbad location. Love it so far!

Same order date 2/3 MYLR Red/White and 19” wheels, my EDD is 4/10 to 5/31.

I see some inventories with 20 inch wheels, don’t want to trade comfort for looks. I made up mind that if I get full EV credit it’s a bonus else am still happy.
There are a few people looking to trade from 19's to 20's and will pay a cash difference, it seems that a lot of people who would have chosen the 20" earlier did not when the limit was at 55k for the 5 seater.

There are a few people looking to trade from 19's to 20's and will pay a cash difference, it seems that a lot of people who would have chosen the 20" earlier did not when the limit was at 55k for the 5 seater.
True, I choose white with white and was planning on wrapping the car when the limit was 55k, modified the order to Red when the rule changed. No regrets with the changes though, we love red.

I did ride on 19” and 20” wheels back to back and I personally feel that the comfort/range will be more sensible choice, I would however get a wheel cover like the one below for looks.

Model Y Induction Wheel Covers - Tesloid USA

Not defending or arguing either way, but I know a woman who ordered a MYLR Blue/black/20 who ordered on 1/30, received her VIN on 2/20 and took delivery 2/25. I went back and forth with her and it was NOT an available inventory order. Have seen several others posting similar. She's in the Telsa owners & enthusiasts Arizona group and I believe she's in Gilbert. I'm taking delivery in Tucson (when it eventually comes) and the only other difference is I ordered a tow hitch and 19's. Some of these just don't make sense and it's easy to see why people get pissy when they see stuff like this. I ordered 3 days before her (technically 1/26 but pm so they registered it as 1/27) and still don't even have a VIN. It does appear the 19's are in short supply. There's no way I'm sacrificing the ride with 20's to speed it up though, not to mention the expense of more money for a worse ride. My EDD has not changed since Feb 1, so taking that as a positive that they think they'll have some 19's for me by then.
I also considered changing my order from 19s to 20s. I decided against doing for the same reasons you mentioned. In addition, I'm also hoping the larger profile of the 19s will provide better protection against curb rash in addition to being less expensive to replace when the time comes.

Reactions: 455dan and Mainuh
Congrats on getting your vehicle! Can you comment on the ride quality of the 19" vs 20" wheels? Is there much of a difference that you can recall from the 19"?
As my current vehicle was going in the shop for nearly 2weeks and I naively hoped that the earlier end of my EDD would mean I could go straight from rental to my own Y, I took the opportunity to rent 2 different MYs from hertz for a week each. just turned in the second one (20s) today.
The difference is definitely noticeable. cars were the same year LRs. 19s ride much smoother, had several comments from passengers who rode with me in both and quickly questioned why the same ride was "rougher" than last week. Granted, Mi roads suck but we were travelling the same or similar quality surfaces in both so it was a "fair" test.
People talk about the 20s looking better and that being worth it, but I don't see it and the passengers didn't even notice a difference in vehicles until we were underway, hitting bumps. I'm not saying the 19s make you float on a cloud, tesla suspension is definitely cheap as hell but the difference on Mi roads was immediately noticeable by myself and 3 different passengers
I'm buying the Y primarily as a work car as I can pile on a thousand miles in a week some weeks (actually did these past 2weeks for a total of 2088miles combined), and gas isn't getting any cheaper in the long run. The comfort gained for long days on the road is more than worth the entirely subjective aesthetic drop IMO.

edit: if I can slap 18s on mine when I get it, I will lol

Last edited:
Interesting article. For taxes, is the 50% critical mineral specifically lithium/cobalt? Since the MY LR/P uses the Tesla 2170 NCA/NCM a majority is nickel/manganese.
The lithium itself already make up more than half due to price surge last couple years(It is based on value not weight) of the cost, hence it definitely above 40% of battery minerals requirement (As they are mined in Australia/Chile, FTZ of US).

Last edited:
As my current vehicle was going in the shop for nearly 2weeks and I naively hoped that the earlier end of my EDD would mean I could go straight from rental to my own Y, I took the opportunity to rent 2 different MYs from hertz for a week each. just turned in the second one (20s) today.
The difference is definitely noticeable. cars were the same year LRs. 19s ride much smoother, had several comments from passengers who rode with me in both and quickly questioned why the same ride was "rougher" than last week. Granted, Mi roads suck but we were travelling the same or similar quality surfaces in both so it was a "fair" test.
People talk about the 20s looking better and that being worth it, but I don't see it and the passengers didn't even notice a difference in vehicles until we were underway, hitting bumps. I'm not saying the 19s make you float on a cloud, tesla suspension is definitely cheap as hell but the difference on Mi roads was immediately noticeable by myself and 3 different passengers
I'm buying the Y primarily as a work car as I can pile on a thousand miles in a week some weeks (actually did these past 2weeks for a total of 2088miles combined), and gas isn't getting any cheaper in the long run. The comfort gained for long days on the road is more than worth the entirely subjective aesthetic drop IMO.

edit: if I can slap 18s on mine when I get it, I will lol
That's actually nice to hear because I didn't upgrade to 20 inch wheels for my MY due to the IRS limit being $55k at the time. I think best thing to do is buy the default wheels and then switch out wheel covers since there are some out there that have a similar design to the 20 inch induction wheels.

Congrats on getting your vehicle! Can you comment on the ride quality of the 19" vs 20" wheels? Is there much of a difference that you can recall from the 19"?
for me personally, the difference in ride quality is really minimal. i do encourage you to test drive both back to back if that's a major concern. for me it's not since i've been driving my wife's honda fit or 911. MY is a huge step up as far as comfort goes

Updated delivery date 2/18. Hope they fix the issues. Took a picture of the car there must have been 50-75 new Teslas on the lot. Of course all spoken for.
Ok so took delivery on 2/18.
First off they repainted the door. Now has one smaller spot instead of 3. Ok can deal with that.
The door storage compartment material was not fixed. They sent it back for 15 minutes came back fixed. Good.
The black glue was pretty much all gone from the right passenger glass roof, but there is a spot where it looks like they superglued the liner. They of course said it's within spec. Not so good. (Pics included)
We still accepted. 2 days into driving the door that they painted has a rattle that sounds like the window guides are loose when going over bumps. Has a shaky glass sound. First appointment March 5. Must be backlogged with issues.

With all the issues I feel that it still is a really good car. Runs smooth, has great features, work has outlets where I park so I don't pay for juice on my short commute. I have added tesmanian mats and they fit like a glove and are much better quality than the thin stock ones. Also added rimetrix wheel covers which are a must on a white car, highly recommend at least for looks. I have come to the realization that this is not a luxury or even a high quality car fit and finish wise and will never be one and I am ok with that. Well shoot I already bought it so I have to be. Really good car with great features with quirks that are acceptable. Even with all the issues it has me reconsidering ever buying another gas car again. When the 2/Q comes out in definitely in. As far as the problems the saga continues......

Good luck for fast deliveries to all waiting and hope that the $7500 credit stays up as long as possible.
PXL_20230219_204735681.jpgPXL_20230219_204720057.jpg