Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just dump 320 AWD Mosel Y on global website, most of them with Gemini Wheels.
There is no Gemini wheel shortage.
Tesla is providing what configuration is most profiting them instead of filling the orders!!!
This!!!! Ridiculous. Was just talking about it with a friend of mine. Why would they put 19 inch wheels on SRs with build dates in March, with practically little to no preorders for these SRs? Why not use them to build the preorders for the LRs? Quite beyond my imagination. Irksome!!!

I have a MYLR Blue but no tow hitch. Wonder if the tow hitch matters.

I wonder if the tow hitch and rims make a difference. I ordered on 1/29 no tow hitch, 19" rims, and black interior. My EDD is now 4/16-5/21.
it might have helped, but who can be sure. I have many qns, for some reason I see people who are near Fremont factory waiting longer and getting Austin builds and NE folks getting Fremont builds - I have seen lot of LR inventories in Cleveland OH ( I suggested it to a friend and he ordered on 2/16 and got the car delivered on 2/25).

I wish I knew an answer, if you’re interested in 20 inch wheels a lot of them keep coming up in inventory, keep checking the link and speak with your SA- he can help in swapping your order.

Based on my observation here and reddit, it looks a large number of orders with gemini's have EDDs in second half of March.

I won't be surprised if some of them (including my own order) slip into April. 🤞
Yeah that's my feeling as well. With my EDD update today of 3/29 - 3/31, I have low confidence of the accuracy of that small of a date range this far out.

Reactions: Antique_High80
If Tesla needs 100grams and . . .
  • 1 gram at 40% of cost is priced US/FTZ
  • 99 grams at 60% cost from a non-US/FTZ
This qualifies? It's totally made up because commodity pricing does not act like that unless they can "justify" an arms length pricing model.

It's not quite clear from the investment article what makes up US Tesla 2170 based batteries. They source from multiple locations e.g., ganfeng may supply china factory, and Panasonic is unknown (at least to me) where they source it. I don't think we know if Tesla sources Lithium/Cobalt from US and I have not seen anything that says they do and would qualify.

Above example qualify, IRS white paper said the percentage is based on value not weight.
Lithium mine industry is dominated by Australia and Chile (See above article) which are US FTZ so that Lithium will qualify for 'Source' of US requirement.

Tesla just dump 320 AWD Mosel Y on global website, most of them with Gemini Wheels.
There is no Gemini wheel shortage.
Tesla is providing what configuration is most profiting them instead of filling the orders!!!
Agree likely no shortage on 19s.

Most profitable? Is the AWD most profitable? probably marginally on battery but not sure about that. Could be a battery delay between 2170 in a MYP/MYLR vs 4680 in an AWD?

I would think their goal is to get as many out as possible to boost their revenue and the profitability and they are invested into the 4680 battery.

Except they just started building 200 MY SR AWD with 19’s for nobody in particular. That could be 200 of our orders being pushed out to wait for more 19’s they just used up. Seems strange to do when you’ve already “sold-out” for the quarter.

*watches more people cut in line*
If the battery packs are built, they are going to put them in cars, not just let them sit around. The production schedule probably doesn't have a lot of wiggle room.

Reactions: sdq_11 and slyderz3
Above example qualify, IRS white paper said the percentage is based on value not weight.
Lithium mine industry is dominated by Australia and Chile (See above article) which are US FTZ so that Lithium will qualify for 'Source' of US requirement.
I hope you are right and Tesla can use that to meet the 40% mark . . . and all this discussion about March deadline is for nothing.

Just got EDD pushed back 5 days but end date still holding at 3/31.

EDD: 3/15-3/31
Yeah, I'm in almost the same place:

MYLR W/B/19
OD: 1/24
EDD: Was 3/10-3/31 for a long time
EDD 2/28: 3/14-3/31

I'm still thinking they are assuming that they will get SoCal cars in by the end of the quarter, but not ready to commit.

In the big scheme of things, a couple of hundred MYAWD's is a small.percentage, especially considering they have not been built yet.

Giga Berlin just announced making 4K model Y's a week. The combined output of the US factories must be considerably higher than that. So, it is not like if they don't make the AWD's, your MYLR is getting to you sooner.

I believe they have made the 4680 batteries, so they need to put them in cars for revenue. I also think that the demand for the 19 inch wheels far exceeds their expectation, therefore creating a delay in shipping.

I am 99+% sure all those March deliveries will qualify for the full $7.5K rebate. Probably all the April deliveries as well.

Those who pay for the $2K wheels to get an earlier date will regret it, unless they like those wheels. I think spending $2K on AB is a better deal.

Reactions: dion009 and imgcs
Except they just started building 200 MY SR AWD with 19’s for nobody in particular. That could be 200 of our orders being pushed out to wait for more 19’s they just used up. Seems strange to do when you’ve already “sold-out” for the quarter.

*watches more people cut in line*
Tomorrow they have an investor event I believe. More order numbers for the quarter, better for the company.