Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anyways, when i was picking up the MY I saw a Tesla rep trying her hardest to adhere the front (required in NY) plate and bracket to someone else’s Tesla and it kept falling off. It was 34 degrees and wet…. By the way in NY the permanent plates come with the car; no temp tags. So, I told my guy that I didnt want him to put it on mine and that I was going to wait till today when it warmed up to the 40s and was dry. Wouldn’t you know, I got a ticket in the city (Manhattan) while parked for not having a front plate (even in the window). Already submitted a dispute online to have the ticket dismissed, and uploaded evidence from Tesla’s website where they state not to adhere the bracket and plate on cold, wet days. Maybe ill get a nice jugde online and the ticket ($65) will be dismissed.
How unlucky!! Have you seen those license plate mounts on Amazon that clip underneath the vehicle so that nothing sticks to the bumper? Search for Model Y front license plate frame. I plan to bring one if I ever get a delivery date. My son got a ticket for no front license plate a few weeks ago (Upstate NY). The google machine said the fine would be $200-300 plus a $100 NYS surcharge, but he got them to reduce it to parking on the pavement. $50 fine and $25 surcharge. I did not know the fine would only be $65. Is that a NYC only thing? Or maybe because you were parked and he was driving on a road??

I have these in my cart already:

The rims on my Kizashi are mostly rash, I’m going to really try to do better this time.

Reactions: Yomanjm
MYLR BLU/BLK no additions
OD: 1/17
Latest EDD: 2/26 to 3/6
Received text today (3/1) to schedule delivery in NJ
Picking up on Friday.

FYI, I had texted my SA on 2/26 asking when can I expect delivery (since it was already EDD date). Received text back after 24hrs telling me that Vehicle was on route and will reach NJ on 3/2 and i can expect delivery on 3/3, 3/4 or 3/6.
When did u receive VIN?

Tesla's whole presentation of cutting costs and their big picture plan on impact/expansion.

Edit: Don't want to hijack this thread for thoughts on the investor day event so not going to talk about this anymore.
I feel like this is fair game and I appreciated your take and the info. I didn’t see it, but was curious what they were gonna say. We’re all just sitting around in the waiting room waiting for our cars anyway. If we were at the Tesla building they’d probably play the investor day video on loop and we’d all be forced to listen and talk about it amongst ourselves.

Although, we all agree that at 11am we demand “The Price is Right” goes back on, RIGHT!?!? 🤓😝

Hi all, picked up my MYLR 20”, MSM, black with tow yesterday at Mount Kisco, NY. Nice people. Snowstorm had ended around noon and it was spitting rain and chilly around 4pm at pickup. Car looked great.

Except on the way home on the highway my windshield got super dirty and dry smeared since the washer fluid wouldn’t come out. I ended up finding that the tube from the holding tank under the cover under the frunk hadn’t been connected to the lines running to the wipers . Had blue sticky fluid sitting around the frunk... Thankfully i was able to fix it and purge the lines to get fluid today. Funny, on my way home i had to stop as a gas station with my new MY, no, not for gas, but to clean my windows so i could drive home. 😆

Anyways, when i was picking up the MY I saw a Tesla rep trying her hardest to adhere the front (required in NY) plate and bracket to someone else’s Tesla and it kept falling off. It was 34 degrees and wet…. By the way in NY the permanent plates come with the car; no temp tags. So, I told my guy that I didnt want him to put it on mine and that I was going to wait till today when it warmed up to the 40s and was dry. Wouldn’t you know, I got a ticket in the city (Manhattan) while parked for not having a front plate (even in the window). Already submitted a dispute online to have the ticket dismissed, and uploaded evidence from Tesla’s website where they state not to adhere the bracket and plate on cold, wet days. Maybe ill get a nice jugde online and the ticket ($65) will be dismissed.

By the way, I moved from 19” to 20” in my order when the IRS went from 55k to 80k. Was scared of the ‘rougher ride’. However, after 60 miles already I can say that I have no regerts personally. The ride is actually smoother than my Mustang Mach E EV, which I sold (more like flipped) in order to buy this MYLR.
Congrats! Where you able to inspect the car before paying/accepting delivery?

MYLR white, black, 19, 5 seat
Philly area
OD 1/17
Original EDD 2/20-3/20
updated EDD 3/7-3/31

Saw my build but with 20 in wheels available for accelerated delivery today. Text SA advised I would have to pay $4k extra. $2k for the wheels and $2k price increase. Drove to the local store and of course the car was taken by the time I got there. In store rep also advised that I would've had to pay the $4k more and they had no workaround. Also, my trade in got revalued for $1k less today with only 300 miles more on the car. Oof....

No text for a VIN coming. I'm slowly losing hope that I'll see the car in March.
just edit your design to add the 20" and you should get VIN soon.
I had the exact same config as yours, changed to 20" on 2/20 at 4pm and got VIN at 6pm. Took delivery 6 days later.

Text your SA and ask again. Your vehicle might have been in assembly line but there may have been an issue. Maybe the QC rejected the paint and send the vehicle back o be repainted or something like that. My order date and build date are 1 month a part. Try to get the vin if they said it has been built
Yeah, I'm going to text the SA tomorrow. Guy I spoke to today, the one who said its not even built yet, was through the phone line. I texted the SA last week and he said they're just waiting on it to arrive and should reach out to me in a few days; nothing. Around the same time my EDD went away I got the Tesla Vision notice, replacing sensors with cameras, and accept the changes or cancel my order. I accepted of course.

OD 1/16/2023
MYLR white/black 19in wheels with tow hitch.
Curious if anyone else with this build and same or later OD has taken delivery in the Seattle area.
I have not even received a VIN yet.
Same update to me Monday Mar6-Mar20. My OD 1/15 MYLR WHILTE/BLACK 5 Seats
Seattle area LR W/B 19in plus tow hitch.
OD: 1/16
EDD:3/4 to 3/18
No VIN yet
🤞 Tax break still available on DD

Reactions: Ramkumar67
What was the mileage at pickup?
What's the VIN?
Did other cars have mud flaps or PPF?
How was the experience?
Even though they wrote 15 miles in the title the actual mileage at pickup was something like 7 (don't remember exactly, but was under 10).
VIN 6705xx, Fremont build
I didn't see mud flaps or PFF on a couple other cars which were being delivered around the same time.

The experience was good in general - everyone was very nice. I could tell the staff is trying to move the cars as fast as possible - they were actually running a bit behind schedule and texted me well in advance to come 30 min later than the scheduled time.

A few minor issues were corrected by Tesla staff on my request:
  • What I thought was a little scratch on the front bumper was just a smudge and they cleaned it off
  • Rear hatch had its plastic panel not attached fully on one side - they clicked it into place
Other notes:
  • Panel gaps were good - maybe not ideal in a couple places but barely noticeable to me - only noticed them because I was really hunting for imperfections
  • It was a wet rainy Seattle day and they obviously drove the car from somewhere nearby and/or across the (gravel?) parking lot, so the car was not impeccably clean outside - they washed it quickly afterwards, but not thoroughly.
  • The battery was charged to only about 160mi
  • I didn't notice any other issues - I used one of those Model Y delivery checklists available on GitHub

PS: The off street parking is convenient, but there are cables / wires running along the street right across the parking slots. Local birds find this very convenient - we drove our other car to Tesla, and it was all covered in bird poop after just one hour. Park elsewhere if you can 😅

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: erktrek
MYLR white, black, 19, 5 seat
Philly area
OD 1/17
Original EDD 2/20-3/20
updated EDD 3/7-3/31

Saw my build but with 20 in wheels available for accelerated delivery today. Text SA advised I would have to pay $4k extra. $2k for the wheels and $2k price increase. Drove to the local store and of course the car was taken by the time I got there. In store rep also advised that I would've had to pay the $4k more and they had no workaround. Also, my trade in got revalued for $1k less today with only 300 miles more on the car. Oof....

No text for a VIN coming. I'm slowly losing hope that I'll see the car in March.
I had the same situation. OD - 1/18

I called SA multiple times asking for an update and to check if they can edit my order to 20". She told me that if you see a 20" inventory car than just make a new order and the VIN will be assigned to you instantly. Later you can call me to transfer the VIN from new order to the original order and they should be able to match the original price of the car. They would cancel the new order after the VIN is transferred and credit the $250 towards the car down payment.

I did what I was told and SA did exactly what she promised.

Even though they wrote 15 miles in the title the actual mileage at pickup was something like 7 (don't remember exactly, but was under 10).
VIN 6705xx, Fremont build
I didn't see mud flaps or PFF on a couple other cars which were being delivered around the same time.

The experience was good in general - everyone was very nice. I could tell the staff is trying to move the cars as fast as possible - they were actually running a bit behind schedule and texted me well in advance to come 30 min later than the scheduled time.

A few minor issues were corrected by Tesla staff on my request:
  • What I thought was a little scratch on the front bumper was just a smudge and they cleaned it off
  • Rear hatch had its plastic panel not attached fully on one side - they clicked it into place
Other notes:
  • Panel gaps were good - maybe not ideal in a couple places but barely noticeable to me - only noticed them because I was really hunting for imperfections
  • It was a wet rainy Seattle day and they obviously drove the car from somewhere nearby and/or across the (gravel?) parking lot, so the car was not impeccably clean outside - they washed it quickly afterwards, but not thoroughly.
  • The battery was charged to only about 160mi
  • I didn't notice any other issues - I used one of those Model Y delivery checklists available on GitHub

PS: The off street parking is convenient, but there are cables / wires running along the street right across the parking slots. Local birds find this very convenient - we drove our other car to Tesla, and it was all covered in bird poop after just one hour. Park elsewhere if you can 😅

Like this checklist?

Thank you for that - did not realize they were a thing! Very helpful.

Reactions: pamik
OD 1/16/2023
MYLR white/black 19in wheels with tow hitch.
Curious if anyone else with this build and same or later OD has taken delivery in the Seattle area.
I have not even received a VIN yet.

Seattle area LR W/B 19in plus tow hitch.
OD: 1/16
EDD:3/4 to 3/18
No VIN yet
🤞 Tax break still available on DD
Seems to be a lot of LR W/B 19 that have not received their VIN. Considering that a lot of the earlier orders (my OD 1/20) probably ordered this due to the price cap on the tax credit, I am really surprised that this configuration wasn't prioritized. Oh well, nothing to do about it at this point. I still want the car and I definitely don't want the 20 inch wheels. So we wait...

Seems to be a lot of LR W/B 19 that have not received their VIN. Considering that a lot of the earlier orders (my OD 1/20) probably ordered this due to the price cap on the tax credit, I am really surprised that this configuration wasn't prioritized. Oh well, nothing to do about it at this point. I still want the car and I definitely don't want the 20 inch wheels. So we wait...
And that's the thing. once the price cap raised, a lot of orders changed.

Mine changed from LR black ($55k cap), to 7 seater/black/20"/tow ($80k cap) and then to no options (back to $55k cap)... all BEFORE the price cap changed. Once the price cap changed, I switched to MYP, since it now qualified because of the new $80k cap.

And while I have no way of proving it, I'd say there were probably PLENTY more people doing something similar to me.

Reactions: Tcorn
Same here, Not willing to pay an extra $2k for the 20's to rush the delivery, i'll just be patient for
Update:
Boston, MA
Stock MYLR (White/Black/19") + Tow
OD: 1/18 @ 6:45PM ET
OEDD: Jan-Mar
EDD 1 (1/19): 03/29-03/31
EDD 2 (1/30): 03/07-03/31
EDD 3 (2/14): 02/28-03/28
EDD 4 (3/1): 03/10-03/24

No VIN yet. Received "expect your Model Y VIN to be assigned in the next 1-2 weeks" text on 2/26.
Glad to see the delivery window narrow down to 2 weeks.

Had my Tesla Wall Connector charger installed last week, so I'm ready to take this baby home. All in all, it looks like it will be delivered within the timeframe originally promised by Tesla, so I have nothing to complain about, despite that some were able to get theirs sooner with later ODs.

I got the same message 14 days ago. Still no VIN. It is so annoying

How unlucky!! Have you seen those license plate mounts on Amazon that clip underneath the vehicle so that nothing sticks to the bumper? Search for Model Y front license plate frame. I plan to bring one if I ever get a delivery date. My son got a ticket for no front license plate a few weeks ago (Upstate NY). The google machine said the fine would be $200-300 plus a $100 NYS surcharge, but he got them to reduce it to parking on the pavement. $50 fine and $25 surcharge. I did not know the fine would only be $65. Is that a NYC only thing? Or maybe because you were parked and he was driving on a road??
Not sure about upstate. NYC has its own fee structure for everything. Typically the further you are away from midtown and north in Manhattan, the cheaper the fine is. Would have probably been double further south. This was a traffic cop walking the block looking for registration issues on cars or parked too close to hydrants and I was parked at the front of the intersection so my front end wasn’t blocked by a car in front of me. It was an easy ticket for them to give.

I have seen the undermount plates but I park in the city and am afraid someone will back into my front end and destroy the bracket. Plus I figure at least I haven’t drilled into the bumper for the plate so if I ever wanted to remove the frame and adhesive and go the undermount route, i could in the future.

Ouch on your son’s fine. That’s a lot

Reactions: GigaMike