Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1,300 vs. $2,000 is quite a difference, but for me (and probably many others) the difference would be even greater because I'd probably go through a $2,000 set of tires on a MYP a lot faster than a $1,300 set of tires on a slower MYLR. :D
I agree, I am expecting myself to change tires faster with MYP. For 6 years and 80K miles based on my usage estimate, I might go through about 2-3 set of tires for MYP, that's 6K. With MYLR, I would still go through 2 sets, that's $2.6K. The difference is $3.4k spread in 6 years ($600 a year). Plus the insurance increase, I estimate it costs $1k more to drive a MYP than MYLR every year at least.

$1,300 vs. $2,000 is quite a difference, but for me (and probably many others) the difference would be even greater because I'd probably go through a $2,000 set of tires on a MYP a lot faster than a $1,300 set of tires on a slower MYLR. :D
It's a $700 difference every few years. Doesn't seem like much after spending 64k on a car. You can always trade for 19s or 20s and get some money back.

After speculating for couple of days, I decided to switch to MYP today. The price is $56,990 same as it was on 1/25. A $3.5K bump from the base MYLR $53,490. It is still $2,000 cheaper than it is now. It seems that my MYLR won't be delivered in March anyway based on the latest movement. So switching to MYP will probably qualify the same $3,750 EV credit as the MYLR. The $3.5K extra get me the 21" wheels, brakes, and better 0-60 joy plus etra data comes with the performance tag. To me personally, this is worth it.
Did you have your SA change it to MYP or did it yourself via online?

After speculating for couple of days, I decided to switch to MYP today. The price is $56,990 same as it was on 1/25. A $3.5K bump from the base MYLR $53,490. It is still $2,000 cheaper than it is now. It seems that my MYLR won't be delivered in March anyway based on the latest movement. So switching to MYP will probably qualify the same $3,750 EV credit as the MYLR. The $3.5K extra get me the 21" wheels, brakes, and better 0-60 joy plus etra data comes with the performance tag. To me personally, this is worth it.
Did your EDD get pulled in sooner switching to a MYP? Why didn’t you switch to a MYP sooner? Might have been able to take delivery by end of March.

Omg are they prepping it? How long is the prep work? How did you see the ViNs? Sorry for the many questions! I’m just excited..
Picked mine up a couple of days ago, they usually arrive the day before and you will have a pick up date and time scheduled, mine was for 3/3 but at about 5pm after work I was near the store and it was ready to pick up, I just walked up to the cars on the lots and looked at the dash or stickers to see the vin's

Tesla insurance gave me a policy which is valid only for 6 months. Would anyone happen to know why is it this way? I am a first time car owner in the US and I am not quite sure how this works here.

PS - my DL currently expires on 06/28/2023. Could it be because of that? 🤔
Yup, 6 months is pretty standard. It will auto-renew after that as long as you have a payment method on file. I think they do it this way so they can charge you more every 6 months and hope you never notice. It will typically end up being almost twice as expensive within a few years and then you have to switch to someone else to get a reasonable rate again. This never made sense to me since cars depreciate, so you would think repair costs and total losses would get cheaper over time, but they all do it this way.

Reactions: amo2u and Ayushbh
OD 1/16 (Tesla doc has 1/17)
MYLR5 W/B/19"/Tow (Changed to W/B from Blue/B with TXT 510# to SA few days after OD)
EDD1 (1/18) 2/12-3/19
EDD2 (2/5) 2/19-3/19
EDD3 (2/17) 3/3-3/10
VIN (2/17) PF692
DD 3/3

Got my car today @ Mt. Kisco NY. Came in 15 minutes early. My car was there with my name, unlocked and waiting. Everyone @ Mt.Kisco was really chill and helpful. "Take your time, no rush, please let us know if need any help" Looked car over in/out and it was flawless, at least to my eye :) Matrix lights, cargo cover, adapter. One little issue with front passenger side window rolling down every time I tried to close it was resolved by tech in 5 minutes. Did my trade in BMW 335XI - also easy and no issues, no games. Speaking of trade in. I did get a better offer from Carmax and Driveway. Initially I liked the Driveway better b/c they were willing to come to my house to pick up the car and their offer was close to Carmax. With Carmax I would have to drive the car over 40 miles and reading their reviews did not motivate me to try them out. Anyway, as soon as I was done with virtual inspection of Driveway they came back with low ball offer that they did not even try to explain when asked. So, I basically told them to put their offer where the light does not shine ... At this point I did not want to deal with another dealer and more bait and switch tactics. My trade in deal with Tesla and my SA at Mt.Kisco was straight forward, no headaches and to me it was worth a bit lower price for my BMW then I could possibly get by selling to another stealership. And I did not want to deal with private sale. I am happy with my new MYLR and the delivery experience at Mt. Kisco NY SC. I like MYLR suspension. It is a bit softer than BMW but still plenty of feedback from the road which to me is a good balance between comfort and drive feel. Acceleration and cornering seems on par with BMW if not a bit better. The car is quite. I am not sure about booming sound. It might be there but was certainly not overwhelming or bothering me much but might have to try to adjust the stops and see if it will do anything. Driver side mirror view is surprisingly small. When properly adjusted there is no blind spot but I think I am going to try a slightly curved mirror instead to get a bit bigger view. The hood I can't possibly see so parking in a tight spot without sensors is a bit tricky. I am sure I will get used to it soon. Wish you all best of luck and many joyful miles!
I did the envelope hatch calibration and now can confidently say the booming noise was there before the calibration and now is gone. Clearly I am not very sensitive to the booming noise since I was not even sure if it was there or not until it was gone LOL.

Reactions: WyoDude
MYLR Blue/Black/19 no options
OD: 1/16 evening
EDD 1: Jan - Mar
EDD 2 updated on 1/30: Feb 2 - Mar 2
EDD 3 updated on 2/3: Feb 12 - Feb 26
EDD 4 updated on 2/13: Feb 22 - Mar 22
EDD 5 updated today 2/22: Feb 27 - Mar 13
EDD6: Feb 28 - Mar 13
EDD7: Mar 1 - Mar 14
EDD8: Mar 2 - Mar 14
EDD9: Mar 3 - Mar 14
EDD10: Mar 5 - Mar 14
Finally got my VIN this morning, EDD changed to Mar 5 - Mar 12. I'm in the bay area, so of course it's Fremont built. :)

Do I have to add the car to my insurance before uploading it?

Finally got my VIN this morning, EDD changed to Mar 5 - Mar 12. I'm in the bay area, so of course it's Fremont built. :)

I believe it varies by state and whether you finance/lease. The finance/lease company may require proof of insurance for the car before you drive off.

Depending upon your circumstances, you may need to load an existing insurance card for another car as proof of insurability or the insurance card/letter of your expected Tesla.

At least for me, I can tell insurance company the date I will 'purchase' car in the future and they spit out a card/letter I uploaded. Once I get the delivery date, I will adjust to match for billing purposes (or cancel if they do not deliver).

Congrats, it looks like a long journey for you. BTW, it seems Cal and Tex update their EDD more often than others, I suspect likely due to the close proximity.

Reactions: bigfish11

Congrats! Mine is coming 14MARish. I uploaded a picture of my current insurance for my Camry. They accepted that. State Farm covers a new car for a short period of time giving one enough time to send them the new VIN.

6 months is the standard term for auto insurance in North America.
It may depend on your driving record and credit rating. I've paid by the year through a couple different insurers. They offered 6 mos as well but charged a fee so I've always paid the full year up front. For the Tesla, going with Progressive (never used them for auto before) and they quoted for a year as well.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and Ayushbh
Just received an EDD update this morning: MAR 18 - MAR 31. MYP ordered on 02/03. My last EDD was MAR 4-31 so still inside March 31 but let's see. There is actually a MYLR with 20' wheels that I can fly and pick up from CO if only Tesla can honor the price (The MYLR in that configuration is currently $1K more expensive than what I'm paying for my MSM MYP) as it existed during my OD (02/03). A few here have said that they can do this but I can't connect with my SA over text, and can't get to an agent on the phone until Noon Eastern time so the vehicle may be gone by then.

Reactions: dion009
Just received an EDD update this morning: MAR 18 - MAR 31. MYP ordered on 02/03. My last EDD was MAR 4-31 so still inside March 31 but let's see. There is actually a MYLR with 20' wheels that I can fly and pick up from CO if only Tesla can honor the price (The MYLR in that configuration is currently $1K more expensive than what I'm paying for my MSM MYP) as it existed during my OD (02/03). A few here have said that they can do this but I can't connect with my SA over text, and can't get to an agent on the phone until Noon Eastern time so the vehicle may be gone by then.
Just a word of caution: If NM offers any type of rebate for EVs, if it is same as IL, one has to purchase the vehicle in that state. I had thought about going to another state to do the same as you are considering. Of course, my basic math shows that $7,500 is bigger than what IL was offering of $4,000. I do not have access to a calculator to veryify this. :)