Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may not be a bad idea. I may already have my Model Y had I not made a late change to wheels and tow. The logistics of manufacturing nearly 1,000 Model Ys every single day, matching them to buyers, transporting them to hundreds of showrooms across the country, and estimating guessing when they'll be delivered is challenging enough. Customers changing their orders before this process only complicates things because Tesla are constantly having to readjust production. Tesla must be banging their heads against the walls! I'm surprised they even allow ordered to be edited once placed.
Could be the reason why LR and 7 seater inventory has been increasing across the country

OD: 1/19 (very late in the evening)
MYLR - White, Black Interior, 19" (all basic)
No Vin
Sacramento, CA

UPDATE 1/25: EDD 2/21 - 3/28
UPDATE 2/5: EDD 2/17 - 3/17
UPDATE 2/13: EDD 3/8 - 3/31
UPDATE 2/22: EDD 3/9 - 3/31
UPDATE 3/10: EDD 3/21-3/31

And it finally happened. Pushed out to the the last 10 days in March. Jerks.

Yeah... it's all supply, demand, logistics, production... blah blah and several factors. Today in reddit I read someone who ordered on 01/14 had his date pushed out to March 30 to May 5. Imagine that person's woes!!! White interior, albeit. I did notice a pattern even in other threads in this forum that white interiors are getting royally screwed of late, and I've seen MSM and blue exteriors get bumped up... which leads me to believe they're having shortages of the former and surplus of the latter. Again, it's just my inference - may or may not be true.
I'll go by "unless you're assigned a VIN, your EDDs mean nothing" and "if I had the production ordering, sequencing and delivery insights of Tesla, I could make money out of running a consulting firm" 🤷‍♂️
B/W and 1/19 OD. They pushed mine to April. Yup, royal screw up indeed,

Reactions: FanboyNC
I know it’s off-topic, but there are a few recent posts in this thread debating the environmental impact of EVs versus ICE vehicles. For an analysis of this issue, follow these links to articles in the Wall St Journal and NY Times. In summary, EVs generate more greenhouse gases during assembly, but they recoup this in about 20,000 miles. After that the EV advantage grows substantially over time.

Last edited:
You won’t on an Austin-built car, but you may decide that’s best if you had experience with both. My 3 has the same lights as your Y will have and my Y has matrix lights — I much prefer the 3’s. The matrix lights look like you are seeing the projected light through a wire screen, with dark lines throughout the projected light. Meanwhile, the older style has a uniform light spread.
Ok, good to know. I have a 2021 Model 3, so I'm familiar with the current light configuration. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated

They are giving nothing with vehicles coming out of Austin?
I did not see PPF, cargo cover and mud flaps for Chicago. Unfortunate.
I don't know what they actually do at the factory. My guess is that the mud guard and PPF are added at the local delivery center as they are regional things. Not sure about Chicago, but deliveries at Minnesota seem to have those installed based on recent deliveries.

I know it’s off-topic, but there are a few recent posts in this thread debating the environmental impact of EVs versus ICE vehicles. For an analysis of this issue, follow these links to articles in the Wall St Journal and NY Times. In summary, EVs generate more greenhouse gases during assembly, but they recoup this in about 20,000 miles. After that the EV advantage grows substantially over time.
Yes, I was the one that posted about what the govt uses to make official policy. Basically, depending on various parameters, the carbon break even point ranges between 8000 miles on the low end and 80000 miles on the high end.

Some people don't want to accept this, for whatever reason, but I find it the most reasonable.

They are giving nothing with vehicles coming out of Austin?
I did not see PPF, cargo cover and mud flaps for Chicago. Unfortunate.
Depends on the state. Also, cargo cover should be included for both Fremont and Austin builds now (maybe last year there were some discrepancies where some cars weren't getting them).

Here in NJ they don't come with mud flaps or PPF. If you order mud flaps from Tesla, you can install them yourself or request a service and Tesla will install them for you for free.

• Informative
Reactions: erktrek
I think I know why I have gotten a favor from Tesla to get the delivery earlier.

1351678468158_.pic.jpg

While helping me to do home charging, my kid found the white stain on the driver seat.
This seems to be some kind of white paint, probably from the coat of a Tesla employee or from the car before the paint was dry.
The car might be rejected by someone at the delivery center just when I messaged them.
Or Tesla found this and decided to give it to someone who is anxious to get one (that being me).

Other than this, I have found nothing wrong so far.
Would you care and reject the delivery if a car with this was assigned to you?

I would, but only in normal times when we do not have the Fed Tax Credit timing pressure.
But now, I am just happy to get the car and not worrying about the Tax Credit.
I can deal with the service center on this later.

Question, I wonder if they submit the car registration documents BEFORE or AFTER delivery? I have a typing mistake on my 2word First Name that they treat the second word as MIDDLE Name on my previous car (I have changed my driver license already), and the Tesla app detected my 2nd word first name as middle name again. I want to be able to confirm that getting moved back to First name before I take delivery. Should I wait ?

I think I know why I have gotten a favor from Tesla to get the delivery earlier.

View attachment 916131

While helping me to do home charging, my kid found the white stain on the driver seat.
This seems to be some kind of white paint, probably from the coat of a Tesla employee or from the car before the paint was dry.
The car might be rejected by someone at the delivery center just when I messaged them.
Or Tesla found this and decided to give it to someone who is anxious to get one (that being me).

I would, but only in normal times when we do not have the Fed Tax Credit timing pressure.
Put in a service ticket ASAP.

Reactions: yc630621

View attachment 916131

Did Tesla not remove the plastic covering the interior seats? Cause those stains should've been clearly noticeable.

If there's nothing wrong with the car aside for those stains, I would schedule service with Tesla for them to try fixing that issue and also research on your own how to get rid of the stains. Also how would you even reject the car f you've already accepted delivery?

Edit: Submit service ASAP because IIRC, in the first 24 hours AND 100 miles, the fixes should be free.

Reactions: yc630621
So now of course on the waiting for tesla site my original configuration, LR w/b/19/TOW, shows up in inventory here in MN. I had already switched to the AWD due to being pushed out to April/may and have a vin but no delivery scheduled. I reserved the LR one and will be heading to the service center when they open to see what can be done. I may have to eat the second order fee and pay the higher price than I originally locked in at, but since the build dates are only 3 days apart I'm willing to do it. Fingers crossed that they will be able to do something...
So, the SA put in a ticket to see what he could do about the price change. Not holding my breath. Going to write it off as a lesson learned. Got the new vin assignment and should still get it by the end of the month. I was second guessing changing to the AWD so in the long run I know that I will be happy with the LR. Just wish it hadn't gone down the way it did. 😕 while I was there, someone called to switch to an inventory LR and it was already gone, so I am glad I just reserved it before they opened.

Just tried to switch to inventory car using chat feature. Only difference was paint color. Chat agent said old pricing would not be honored, I would need to pay an extra $2000. Plus another $1000 for switching from blue to black. No thanks.

Very frustrating, given that others have been able to do this and still get original pricing.
Try calling the Tesla location where that inventory is located directly. From what I've seen posted, that seems to work better. From what I read Tesla locations SAs do not get commissions individual sales but there seems to be bonuses for meeting total sales targets for the whole location.

It's possible that the SAs where that vehicle is scheduled to be delivered would be more accommodating as they want to quickly convert that inventory to a confirmed sale.

Reactions: amo2u