Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would agree. Ordered a MYAWD MSM/Black/19" wheels/5 seat/ Towing from "inventory" on 2/9 after confirming with SA via chat that "it will arrive in 2 weeks". Received VIN PA074 and EDD of 2/22 to 3/22 immediately after completing the order since it was supposedly in "inventory", but EDD changed to TBD on 2/22 and is still TBD as of now.

So the day after I posted about my EDD frustrations, My TBD EDD changed to 3/21 - 3/31. Coincidence? Or there's a Tesla employee reading these posts and trying to placate the masses?

In any case, I am thankful that there is some progress with my EDD and cautiously optimistic.

Hoping the IRS is also reading this and maybe delay releasing the new battery guidance to much later too? ;)

Took my delivery today. At Chicago West Grand Avenue location. The car was parked out on the street. I saw about 15 more parked in a lot across the street. Flawless delivery. Car was unlocked and I was allowed to inspect inside upon request.

My odometer says 47 miles. I just hope it is not a rejected VIN 🫣
When I took delivery of my car, it had 22 miles even though the purchase agreement listed 15 miles. I recently inquired about this in my first service request and the response was that under 50 miles is considered “brand new”. I don’t know if that’s by Federal law or by State law (California) but I decided not to pursue/escalate it.

Attachments

• 33519F11-9CEF-4905-A0E5-365C5D4CDB5E.png
    33519F11-9CEF-4905-A0E5-365C5D4CDB5E.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Ayushbh
Yeah, I finally got to ride in a MY with Matrix and I prefer the Premium lights on my MY. Maybe if Tesla enables some matrix features in the future I'd change my mind.
I think most people have no idea why they are craving Matrix lights...just is blown out of proportion on the internet.
tl;dr - People prioritize future proofing for large, long-term purchases especially when it costs the same otherwise

Essentially what you had already stated - future proofing. I’m sure once there’s more parity with the number of Tesla vehicles on the road with matrix headlights, the software to enable the features will finally be on the storyboard, prioritized, then developed aside from party tricks.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s been only two years since Tesla introduced the matrix headlights. And the fact that Tesla is still manufacturing tens of thousands of cars annually with non-matrix headlights, that parity, in terms of value, will take some time barring any supply chain constraints or new strategies.

On top of that, my guess is that the current priority, from a software development standpoint, is to implement new and re-enable existing/promised features via Tesla Vision for vehicles not equipped with USS (e.g. park assist, autopark, summon). 🤓

That being said, is future proofing nice? Absolutely. The majority of consumers in a technology adoption bell curve put a strong onus on such a value proposition. I do agree with you, though, that it’s been blown out of proportion. At the same time, I understand the sentiment (obsession?) behind people wanting the latest and greatest at the same price points. 😅

After getting the VIN and updated estimated delivery did everyone get the message to please pay off your remaining balance before an actual pick up has been scheduled ?
Decided to do like most everyone and just get a certified check . Then hand it over after a quick look over the car.

Pick Up scheduled for the 21st of March.
OD 1/18 early MYLR w/w no other options, changed to
Model Y Performance / Pearl white - no options.

Reactions: erktrek
Picked up my MYLR today from Raleigh. Comments:
1. Didn't realize they no longer include the mobile charging cable. No biggie.
2. Definitely fit and finish problems and I'm not particularly picky. Guess I need to do a service request. The SC is 80 miles away though.
3. Just initial impression. Drives a lot like my Camry hybrid. A bit more noise than the Camry. Definitely didn't blow me away handling wise. Have to dial back the regen braking so I don't snap passenger's heads back.
4. Acceleration is very good, particularly at higher speed. No comparison.
5. Had to remind myself I wasn't creating any emissions. Yea! No big adjustment to EV from ICE.
6. Cars coming up from behind me on left or right don't appear on the screen soon enough to prevent blindside swiping. Have to rely on mirrors.
7. Several of the OEM accessories I bought do not fit. The rear side/trunk containers, the right one does not fit. The front console trays, only the back one fits. The front one jams the opening. Disappointing.
I'm sure as i get used to it I'm going to love it. Just giving first impressions.
Congrats! Expecting mine within the next 10 or so days. Where was yours built?

View attachment 915916

My delivery was scheduled to be tomorrow morning but we just could not wait.
My wife and I went to Fremont to see if we could pick up earlier (just in case IRS making a change tomorrow).
On our way over to the sales office, we saw hundreds of cars (at least) in the big lot, at least a dozen trucks loading cars up. There may be more trucks in the back of the big lot but we drove by fast and did not check closely.

It turns out our car is already in the sales office parking lot with 100+ other cars to be delivered to local buyers.
The SA said it will just take 2 hours (actually they did it in just 1 hour) to finish the preparation and give it to us.

I asked the SA and found my car was built on 3/3/2023, almost a week ago.
Then she told me the general area where I can find my car in the lot.

This is what I saw while looking one by one for the car with my VIN.
- there are many more MYP than I had expected, as many as MYLR on the small lot.
- the VIN may not be assigned in a strict sequential order since I saw PF668xxx to PF710xxx, all built in 3/2023.
- there are more model 3 cars than I expected but I do not know they are sold or not.

Hope everyone reading this get his/her car soon.

---
Oh, 1 more thing, to those few guys advised me to check whether I really received an LR, not SR.
Yes, I did get an LR. I would not Tesla would be so shady to play tricks on anyone's order. Maybe I was just naive.

The car has 2 miles on it when we took it even though the paperwork says 15 miles.
AS a matter of fact, every new car in the lot has 15 miles on the paperwork (they put it on wind shield or front seat).
I did quick inspection while they are doing the final preparation and while it was being charged, I found nothing bad.
I would not say it is flawless, maybe I was not thorough enough and will find something in the next 2 days.

Good luck to you all to get the car you ordered soon.

OD: 1/21
EDD1 (1/24): 2/27-3/31
EDD2 (2/28): 3/14-3/31

MYLR W/B/19 nothing added
This is not right. I am 30 mins from Fremont. Ordered the same configuration on 1/17. No VIN and EDD is 3/15-3/31. You ordered 4 days later and got the car already, via pickup at Fremont..

On the other hand, my wife says she does not want to buy a Tesla, given Musk's recent tweets. So, we may decline it. We don't qualify for the tax rebate anyway.

I bought two Tesla's in the past and they were all delivered to my house. Wonder how they decide to do home delivery, vs pick up.

Last edited:
Reactions: yc630621
Did Tesla not remove the plastic covering the interior seats? Cause those stains should've been clearly noticeable.

If there's nothing wrong with the car aside for those stains, I would schedule service with Tesla for them to try fixing that issue and also research on your own how to get rid of the stains. Also how would you even reject the car f you've already accepted delivery?

Edit: Submit service ASAP because IIRC, in the first 24 hours AND 100 miles, the fixes should be free.

Thanks for the advise.

1. No, the plastic covers for both front seats was not removed but I noticed they were teared.

2. Service request already scheduled, first thing I did this morning after I made the post.
Actually, according to the SA I met yesterday, it is 7 days or 100 miles. But I will not take any chance.

3. I would have taken the car anyway even if I saw it.
If there is no Tax Credit deadline pressure, I might still take it because the problem is not serious to me and I have a trip coming up.

Reactions: scionbox
Decided to do like most everyone and just get a certified check . Then hand it over after a quick look over the car.

Pick Up scheduled for the 21st of March.
OD 1/18 early MYLR w/w no other options, changed to
Model Y Performance / Pearl white - no options.
Just make sure that is allowed in your state. In some states like Texas, that's not an option because the car has to be paid for before it can be brought into the state.

This is not right. I am 30 mins from Fremont. Ordered the same configuration on 1/17. No VIN and EDD is 3/15-3/31. You ordered 4 days later and got the car already, via pickup at Fremont..

On the other hand, my wife says she does not want to buy a Tesla, given Musk's recent tweets. So, we may decline it. We don't qualify for the tax rebate anyway.

I bought two Tesla's in the past and they were all delivered to my house. Wonder how they decide to do home delivery, vs pick up.

Read my follow-up post this morning with the white paint on the driver seat.
I believe I got the car earlier since (1) I sent a message to let them know I really want it with a trip coming up (which is true) and it is possible this car with white paint problem was rejected just when I sent the message request, so they gave it to me.

I chat with another guy who was installing mud guards on his MYLR W/B/19. His OD was 1/17 but his car is 7 seat.
Yours will come very soon.

Reactions: erktrek
After getting the VIN and updated estimated delivery did everyone get the message to please pay off your remaining balance before an actual pick up has been scheduled ?
Yes. You hav e to make the payment before taking delivery. You can hand them the bank check or hit the payment button in the app after you see the car. You don't have to pay for the car before you see it (unless your state requires the car is paid for prior to it showing up)

How long after you placed your order did you guys get your first EDD?

I ordered a MYP if that matters. No trailer hitch. MSM w/ white interior.
It can vary. A co-worker and I ordered the same config, but I ordered 2 days later. I got my first EDD update before he did. He didn't get his update until the day before his vin was assigned. We ordered right after price cut, so our times were compressed from what people are seeing now.

I know it’s off-topic, but there are a few recent posts in this thread debating the environmental impact of EVs versus ICE vehicles. For an analysis of this issue, follow these links to articles in the Wall St Journal and NY Times. In summary, EVs generate more greenhouse gases during assembly, but they recoup this in about 20,000 miles. After that the EV advantage grows substantially over time.
And most of the EVs, like the Teslas, are really cool!!

Hey I absolutely wanted the smaller wheels- in fact some 18's would ne preferable as would the increased ground clearance and softer ride. Hope the Insurance increase isn't to severe either.

I may buy a lift kit and the 18 or 19 inch wheels as well down the road. At least I can save money on tire related expenses. I have a Rim clamp tire changer that can do Low profile tires up to 24 inches and an electronic wheel balancer so will save money there when the time comes also a10K lb 2 post lift as well to mod the suspension or add a trailer hitch.

Just Happy to have a VIN now and a closer delivery date.
As my 455 name suggests I like power as well so having more power and a track mode will be neat and welcome as well.

This is all new to me- Never even sat in a Tesla but have wanted an electric car since being a kid and dreaming about it.

" I saw PF668xxx to PF710xxx, all built in 3/2023."

from below suggests my P model VIN is in that group as well.
Hello. Where did you see those VINs? Just asking because mine falls into that range.

MYLR, MSM, Black Interior, Gemini Wheels, 5 Seater, NorCal
OD: Jan 17th
First EDD: Feb 3 - Mar 3
Second EDD: Feb 12 - 26
Third EDD: Feb 23 - Mar 23
Fourth EDD: Feb 28 - Mar 14
Fifth EDD: Mar 1 - Mar 14
Sixth EDD: Mar 2 - Mar 14
Seventh EDD: Mar 3 - Mar 14
Eight EDD: Mar 4 - Mar 14
Ninth EDD: Mar 5 - Mar 14
Tenth EDD: Mar 6 - Mar 14

Today @ 7 am VIN assigned. Fremont build
Today @ 9 am delivery scheduled for Friday the 10th!
Just to update everyone on how it went. On Tuesday evening I got a text asking me if I want to pick up my car on Wednesday instead of Friday. Due to the atmospheric river going on right now in Cali, I thought yes! It would be a much nicer experience to take delivery and inspect the car without the torrential downpour coming down in the lot. I was unsure if I was going to trade in one of our cars but after receiving Tesla's offer (which btw was higher than CarMax and way higher than Carvana) I decided to trade in our gas guzzler (takes 91 fuel) that was likely not going to pass smog this year. So after receiving that offer from Tesla I was in good spirits. We arrived a little late for our appointment and when I talked to the lady at check-in she said your appointment is for Friday. Say what?? I showed her the text log and another employee came by. They talked to their manager and I was told I might not get the car that day. What a bummer I was thinking. I shifted all my plans from Friday to Wednesday and took time off work. I told the manager that we need to get this done today as I shifted all of my plans to get the car today. We had to end up waiting an additional 2-3 hours before we got to see the car. Luckily it was around lunch time so we grabbed a bite to eat and went to Target and killed some time there.

Got back to the Tesla lot and asked for an update on when the car would be ready. Had to wait about 20 minutes and then Tina came by and said your car is ready and took me over to it. Tina was super awesome, chill and way more laid back than I was expecting. The vehicle was completely open and she said take your time to do all of your inspections in and out and she also said she has never had a rejection before. Not sure if that is true but who am I to doubt her. We finished up some paperwork for the Y and also for the trade in. Moved everything from the trade in to the Y and upon my inspections I could not see any faults with the car. I am still under the 100 mile threshold (which she also mentioned) so if I do find anything in the next couple of days I will log it for a service appointment. The car only had about 50% charge when they were prepping it for pick up and she said just stay on the charger and charge as much as you want. I charged to 97%, figuring that I will never go above 80% again unless I am going on a long trip. Plus the charging was on Tesla's dime so who am to object? I was initially going to pay with a cashiers check but we ended up just going through the app and Plaid.

TLDR: Got my Y two days earlier than expected. Condition is excellent. Got above market value for trade in. Tesla SA super awesome. Pickup and delivery experience is still a mixed bag IMO. Loved not having to deal with a sleazy sales person trying to sell me a protection plan and all that other nonsense. First EV is officially in the home!

Hello. Where did you see those VINs? Just asking because mine falls into that range.

He got it from my post yesterday.
I saw them by checking the 100+ cars at Fremont delivery center parking lot.
MY SA told me the general direction where my car is and I went over to check the cars one by one.
The paperwork is on the wind shield or front seat.
I only checked 1/3 of the lot about 20-30 MYLRs before I found the car is being driven off the lot for delivery preparation.
I did not bother checking other models.

Exciting Update: "schedule delivery" email (not a text) came today!

OD 1:30/2023 Blue/Black/19
1st EDD: Feb-Mar
2nd EDD: Mar - May
2/27/23: Change to Red/Black/20 (accelerated delivery)
VIN Assigned: 2/27/23 (Fremont build)
3rd EDD: Mar 15 - 22
4th EDD: Mar 12 - 21 (updated 3/5/23)
Schedule Delivery Email: 3/10/23
Delivery Day: 3/15/23 (earliest available spot)

Delivery location : Charlotte NC

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Final update:

Order Date: Jan 19th
Original Estimated Delivery: Jan - Mar
Model Y Long Range
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
19’’ Gemini Wheels
All Black Premium Interior
Five Seat Interior
Autopilot

Jan 25: EDD to 3-1 to 3-29
Feb 2: changed to 3-9 to 3-29
Feb 26: Text saying expect VIN in 1-2 weeks
Mar 2: Assigned VIN, Fremont, EDD to 3-14 to 3-20
March 7: EDD to 3-10 to 3-19
March 10: Schedule delivery, earliest date was March 16.

OD 1/15/23
MYLR 5 WHT/Black / 19" Basic
MSRP - $ 52,990.00
EDD1 Jan-Mar
01/17 - Approved Tesla (Wells Fargo) loan and done registration process
01/21 - Rcvd Wall charger
01/24 - Installed Wall charger
EDD2 - Mar 05-Mar 31
EDD3 - Mar 19-Mar 31
EDD4 - Mar 26 - Apr 15
EDD 5 - APR 15 - May 10
EDD 6 - APR 20 - May 25
Today : Removed Wall Charger and returned.
Enough waiting Tesla and getting My Rav 4 Hybrid XLE Pre. by next week.
Why Tesla Why !!! Check OD

OD 1/15/23
MYLR 5 WHT/Black / 19" Basic
MSRP - $ 52,990.00
EDD1 Jan-Mar
01/17 - Approved Tesla (Wells Fargo) loan and done registration process
01/21 - Rcvd Wall charger
01/24 - Installed Wall charger
EDD2 - Mar 05-Mar 31
EDD3 - Mar 19-Mar 31
EDD4 - Mar 26 - Apr 15
EDD 5 - APR 15 - May 10
EDD 6 - APR 20 - May 25
Today : Removed Wall Charger and returned.
Enough waiting Tesla and getting My Rav 4 Hybrid XLE Pre. by next week.
Why Tesla Why !!! Check OD
Holy Hell!
Im sure you contacted Tesla at some point, did they give you a reason for the HUGE delay?