Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least $1500. Look at it this way: When you pay $2000 extra for the induction wheels, you are not getting the 19" wheels/rims/tires that you already paid for in the base price.
Seems that $1000 would be a more fair price for the upgrade since that is the difference between what Tesla charges for the two wheel setups.

Model Y Accessories page

Was browsing for some accessory videos and came across this video below. I know that PPF is a big deal in the Tesla world, but didn't realize that these guys also act as panel gap and fit/finish inspectors and help out with delivery 😜

I actually saw this video and applied some things during my inspection. I'd definitely recommend that people watch that video and understand how to do an efficient inspection instead of spending 1-2 hours trying to look at every small detail.

Also make sure you're not solely distracted by minor cosmetic issues; check that the car is functioning correctly (all doors are shutting properly, frunk/trunk open and close correctly, etc). Tackle the very important things that would potentially lead to rejecting the car and then the rest can be inspected thoroughly after you get home (make sure you submit everything for Service ASAP).

To everyone that received message about scheduling delivery, does it come by via email, text or just shows up in the app? I've seen multiple people here mention they were notified by email only. I ask because I constantly check the app but if it doesn't come by the app I'll resort to checking emails every 5 seconds instead lol
On Wednesday 3/8, I got an email and text both at 7:01AM (MT) That a vin was assigned and 2 hours and 1 minute later at 9:02AM got a text message to go into the app and schedule delivery. Austin build, Tucson delivery. Days offered were 3/16, 3/17, & 3/18. I went with the 16th.

I have to add for the comedic value and for all those in here crapping their pants over their "pushed out" EDD's. The day before getting the VIN noted above, my EDD got pushed from 3/10-3/31 out to 4/16-5/21. So that push out was changed the morning of 3/7. After receiving my VIN about 20 hours later after they had pushed my EDD out near the end of May, I received my VIN. So that means late Tuesday morning as they were pushing out my EDD into MAY, they were in the process of making my MYLR on the line in Austin. Let that sink in as your blood pressure builds over your pushed out EDD's. I think the EDD's mean nothing until a VIN is assigned. A trained monkey throwing darts onto an open calendar would probably be more accurate! To that end, my wife had said to me 4-5 times over the past month "I see you getting your car between March 15th and 17th". I guess she nailed it!

I will say that the day before when they pushed it out into late May, I wrote a polite, but scathing TXT to my SA. Don't know that it made a bit of difference, but I had my VIN less than 24 hours later. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited:
Below is my order info:
MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat
OD: 1/17
Original EDD: 1/23 - 3/23
Updated EDD: 2/12 - 2/23
Updated EDD: 2/23 - 3/23
Updated EDD: 2/27 - 3/13
Updated EDD: 2/28 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/1 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/2 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/3 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/4 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/5 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/6 - 3/15
Updated EDD: 3/7 - 3/16
Updated EDD: 3/8 - 3/21
Updated EDD: 3/9 - 3/21
Updated EDD: 3/10 - 3/21

No VIN

Interestingly my folks also decided to buy a MYLR, same config just blue but in mid February. Their original quote was June and somehow it’s now improved to 3/21-3/31. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get theirs before us!

We live about 10mi from the Fremont plant. I’m seriously considering just dropping by tomorrow to see if the car is built and they just need to help processing it 😂

Reactions: ATG1 and James2023y
On Wednesday 3/8, I got an email and text both at 7:01AM (MT) That a vin was assigned and 2 hours and 1 minute later at 9:02AM got a text message to go into the app and schedule delivery. Austin build, Tucson delivery. Days offered we 3/16, 3/17, & 3/18. I went with the 16th.

I have to add for the comedic value and for all those in here crapping their pants over their "pushed out" EDD's. The day before getting the VIN noted above, my EDD got pushed from 3/10-3/31 out to 4/16-5/21. So that push out was changed the morning of 3/7. After receiving my VIN about 20 hours later after they had pushed my EDD out near the end of May, I received my VIN. So that means late Tuesday morning as they were pushing out my EDD into MAY, they were in the process of making my MYLR on the line in Austin. Let that sink in as your blood pressure builds over your pushed out EDD's. I think the EDD's mean nothing until a VIN is assigned. A trained money throwing darts onto an open calendar would probably be more accurate! To that end, my wife had said to me 4-5 times over the past month "I see you getting your car between March 15th and 17th". I guess she nailed it!

I will say that the day before when they pushed it out into late May, I wrote a polite, but scathing TXT to my SA. Don't know that it made a bit of difference, but I had my VIN less than 24 hours later. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
If I recall correctly, you're the folks who had a hard deadline as you all are heading back to Maine soon. Congratulations on this reported progress. On the other hand, I can't help but feel a little jaded that my earlier order was bypassed. In any case, happy and safe travels.

Reactions: starise and Mainuh
On Wednesday 3/8, I got an email and text both at 7:01AM (MT) That a vin was assigned and 2 hours and 1 minute later at 9:02AM got a text message to go into the app and schedule delivery. Austin build, Tucson delivery. Days offered were 3/16, 3/17, & 3/18. I went with the 16th.

I have to add for the comedic value and for all those in here crapping their pants over their "pushed out" EDD's. The day before getting the VIN noted above, my EDD got pushed from 3/10-3/31 out to 4/16-5/21. So that push out was changed the morning of 3/7. After receiving my VIN about 20 hours later after they had pushed my EDD out near the end of May, I received my VIN. So that means late Tuesday morning as they were pushing out my EDD into MAY, they were in the process of making my MYLR on the line in Austin. Let that sink in as your blood pressure builds over your pushed out EDD's. I think the EDD's mean nothing until a VIN is assigned. A trained money throwing darts onto an open calendar would probably be more accurate! To that end, my wife had said to me 4-5 times over the past month "I see you getting your car between March 15th and 17th". I guess she nailed it!

Maybe, just maybe. Tesla is performing a social experiment with the data on how often one checks the app and how likely one is to be more anxious and throw a curveball like a massively delayed EDD to see if one will cancel their orders. If they don’t then Tesla comes in the with the reward of a VIN the next day. I can see Elon beta test some of his Twitter ideas anywhere he can haha. Or maybe Tesla’s EDD algorithm is complete trash and someone needs to be fired. Probably most likely the latter scenario

Below is my order info:
MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat
OD: 1/17
Original EDD: 1/23 - 3/23
Updated EDD: 2/12 - 2/23
Updated EDD: 2/23 - 3/23
Updated EDD: 2/27 - 3/13
Updated EDD: 2/28 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/1 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/2 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/3 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/4 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/5 - 3/14
Updated EDD: 3/6 - 3/15
Updated EDD: 3/7 - 3/16
Updated EDD: 3/8 - 3/21
Updated EDD: 3/9 - 3/21
Updated EDD: 3/10 - 3/21

No VIN

Interestingly my folks also decided to buy a MYLR, same config just blue but in mid February. Their original quote was June and somehow it’s now improved to 3/21-3/31. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get theirs before us!

We live about 10mi from the Fremont plant. I’m seriously considering just dropping by tomorrow to see if the car is built and they just need to help processing it 😂
I would not bet money on you to get yours first 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: robchan and Mainuh

I have to add for the comedic value and for all those in here crapping their pants over their "pushed out" EDD's. The day before getting the VIN noted above, my EDD got pushed from 3/10-3/31 out to 4/16-5/21. So that push out was changed the morning of 3/7. After receiving my VIN about 20 hours later after they had pushed my EDD out near the end of May, I received my VIN. So that means late Tuesday morning as they were pushing out my EDD into MAY, they were in the process of making my MYLR on the line in Austin. Let that sink in as your blood pressure builds over your pushed out EDD's. I think the EDD's mean nothing until a VIN is assigned. A trained monkey throwing darts onto an open calendar would probably be more accurate! To that end, my wife had said to me 4-5 times over the past month "I see you getting your car between March 15th and 17th". I guess she nailed it!

I'm sure those SA's have beeing getting an "earful" this past week. I did the same as mine was pushed into Apr-May. Unfortuately my text wasnt as impactful as yours! Still waiting since 1/16/2023. Patience is a virtue? Hopefully not an expensive virtue....

I don't believe my expectations should be as high at a Tesla dealer as they are at a more typical car dealership. I mean, we aren't paying any pad money here to a dealership who are the ones that throw in starbucks at the dealership[, nice padded waiting areas and multiple sales people.

No- This is a distribution center packed with cars. You are important. They have certain expectations placed on them. No I don't expect them to be coming in high and not into their jobs. They are still CR people and so far my experiences have been good, but I sense an unease underneath the veneer in some of them because they are literally being pounded with deliveries right now. Yes, we want to get you your car, but we also have like 500 other people that want immediate attention. Emails and texts can be thought about. Phone calls take more time and time is important right now. So yes, we have an expectation, but don't forget this isn't a dealership. The main function is not to upsell you on PPF, tinting, extended warranties etc. Cars come in with names assigned to them and their job is to help get through the paperwork and get you the car ASAP.

I suspect this is similar at the factory level. We want the cars fast, but we want the cars good. If a robot breaks down everyone gets frantic. So far there is no end to the car orders.

On 20" wheels. Why would I do anything to my EV that essentailly looses range and costs more money? Even if the loss is minimal? Nah. I just bought myself nice black wheel covers because I'm not as hip with the silver ones. That will be ok for me. I could even have lived with the silver.

On wide angle mirrors. Maybe this is just the way my eyes work, but In using them on large vans, I loose depth perception. This would especially be true with the smaller mirror area in the Tesla. If it works for you, great. For me depth perception is most important. Imagine looking through your glasses if you wear them in wide angle all the time. I simply adjust my mirrors so half of the mirror isn't watching the side of the car. The car is covered in cameras. AP is very nice to tell if someone is there. Reliance in a mirror to maybe double check is a great addition.

OD-1/20, still pushed to April/May . No I'm not happy because I had expectations. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised as some others have recently been. I sure hope so. I'm not wealthy and buying the car for my daughter to tool in. My birthday is Mar. 16th, and my last delivery time was in that window , so yeah I had my hopes up and I was really deflated when I seen April/May. It's life you know. This is a small thing. Do you have a place to live and food to eat? A lot of the rest of the world is living in shacks. Consider yourself blessed. I just don't like the games the app plays with these delivery times and I really think it could be improved upon.

I don't believe my expectations should be as high at a Tesla dealer as they are at a more typical car dealership. I mean, we aren't paying any pad money here to a dealership who are the ones that throw in starbucks at the dealership[, nice padded waiting areas and multiple sales people.

No- This is a distribution center packed with cars. You are important. They have certain expectations placed on them. No I don't expect them to be coming in high and not into their jobs. They are still CR people and so far my experiences have been good, but I sense an unease underneath the veneer in some of them because they are literally being pounded with deliveries right now. Yes, we want to get you your car, but we also have like 500 other people that want immediate attention. Emails and texts can be thought about. Phone calls take more time and time is important right now. So yes, we have an expectation, but don't forget this isn't a dealership. The main function is not to upsell you on PPF, tinting, extended warranties etc. Cars come in with names assigned to them and their job is to help get through the paperwork and get you the car ASAP.

I suspect this is similar at the factory level. We want the cars fast, but we want the cars good. If a robot breaks down everyone gets frantic. So far there is no end to the car orders.

On 20" wheels. Why would I do anything to my EV that essentailly looses range and costs more money? Even if the loss is minimal? Nah. I just bought myself nice black wheel covers because I'm not as hip with the silver ones. That will be ok for me. I could even have lived with the silver.

On wide angle mirrors. Maybe this is just the way my eyes work, but In using them on large vans, I loose depth perception. This would especially be true with the smaller mirror area in the Tesla. If it works for you, great. For me depth perception is most important. Imagine looking through your glasses if you wear them in wide angle all the time. I simply adjust my mirrors so half of the mirror isn't watching the side of the car. The car is covered in cameras. AP is very nice to tell if someone is there. Reliance in a mirror to maybe double check is a great addition.

OD-1/20, still pushed to April/May . No I'm not happy because I had expectations. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised as some others have recently been. I sure hope so. I'm not wealthy and buying the car for my daughter to tool in. My birthday is Mar. 16th, and my last delivery time was in that window , so yeah I had my hopes up and I was really deflated when I seen April/May. It's life you know. This is a small thing. Do you have a place to live and food to eat? A lot of the rest of the world is living in shacks. Consider yourself blessed. I just don't like the games the app plays with these delivery times and I really think it could be improved upon.
Well said! Agree 💯! Also happy birthday in advance... 🎂

Still (patiently) waiting too..

Well said! Agree 💯! Also happy birthday in advance... 🎂

Still (patiently) waiting too..
Thanks @erktek I appreciate it. It might be a different kind of birthday this year. Just went in for my 1st chemo treatment. Have had cancer since 2017. Great surgery results then, but it's coming back again, two courses of radiation. I won't go into much detail but this next process is going to take 18 weeks. Feeling ok right now only had a scare when I had an allergic reaction to the stuff they were giving me. Thankfully they caught it in time, but shot me up with 50 mg of benedrin. Unlike pill form this really hits you fast, so I was more than a little drowsey. Not looking for sympathy, just indicating how trivial a car really is in comparison.

Thanks @erktek I appreciate it. It might be a different kind of birthday this year. Just went in for my 1st chemo treatment. Have had cancer since 2017. Great surgery results then, but it's coming back again, two courses of radiation. I won't go into much detail but this next process is going to take 18 weeks. Feeling ok right now only had a scare when I had an allergic reacion to the stuff they were giving me. Thankfully they caught it in time, but shot me up with 50 mg of benedrin. Unlike pill form this really hits you fast, so I was more than a little drowsey. Not looking for sympathy, just indicating how trivial a car really is in comparison.
😟 - Oh no hang in there... that's very scary. Wish you all the best.. sounds like you have a good team on your side though 🤞.

Last edited:
MYLR Blue/Black/19’s
OOD 1/23
Edd - Jan-march
Feb EDD - 3/10 - 3/31
Last week of Feb EDD - 3/14 - 3/3
SoCal

Still no txt for VIN assignment
Still no txt regarding anything, it’s like I’m being ghosted?

Anyone else in similar situation with same build?
Yes OD 1/17. Seattle Blue/Black and I have 3/26-3/31 which is starting to seem less likely that it will be here before the end of March everyday.

Thanks @erktek I appreciate it. It might be a different kind of birthday this year. Just went in for my 1st chemo treatment. Have had cancer since 2017. Great surgery results then, but it's coming back again, two courses of radiation. I won't go into much detail but this next process is going to take 18 weeks. Feeling ok right now only had a scare when I had an allergic reaction to the stuff they were giving me. Thankfully they caught it in time, but shot me up with 50 mg of benedrin. Unlike pill form this really hits you fast, so I was more than a little drowsey. Not looking for sympathy, just indicating how trivial a car really is in comparison.
Here’s to 20 good years in your new Y. Best of luck with getting back into remission. Thoughts and prayers for your next 18 weeks. Thanks for helping us keep some perspective. 🧡

Seattle folks, I called Tesla today and was told the soft delivery date is 4/6. I asked what the purpose giving me 3/26-3/31 and was told T is trying to fulfill this EDD. I really doubt on this statement. I learnt that in recent weeks no MYLR arrived Seattle. looks like Seattle is not in T priority list ......:(
Yeah it feels like the PNW is not getting any love. We will probably be on the same delivery truck. When I last contacted the SA they told me the system seems to be indicating the first part of March build. We are fast approaching the middle of March so hopefully good news soon.

I will say this all seems to track from my perspective that delivers are overarchingly prioritized East to West to some degree.

I bought a M3 back in the first part of August 2020, the 5th to be specific. And didn't get delivery until September 22nd nearly the end of the quarter. I waited about 8 weeks which was brutal. As of now if I got it at the end of March this time around would be 11 weeks. And that's an if I get it.

Reactions: Dr.O
Yeah it feels like the PNW is not getting any love. We will probably be on the same delivery truck. When I last contacted the SA they told me the system seems to be indicating the first part of March build. We are fast approaching the middle of March so hopefully good news soon.
If they are busy pushing out vehicles to the East Coast etc then you should expect early March builds to begin arriving towards the last week of March. I take my delivery in CO and my build date was 03/04 but delivery window is 03/20 - 03/26 which could further move to the right. A week after it was built, my vehicle is still in Fremont "waiting on logistics" as per my SA. My SA told me that almost all MYs built around 03/01 - 03/10 and marked for CO have a similar EDD so I suppose they are holding off on pushing out vehicles with a shorter transit run..which would also be a case for CA to PNW deliveries.

Last edited:
Just got back from Fremont factory. Thousands of Model Y in the parking lots waiting to be transport. Majority have 20”.

Based on what I saw, if you’re waiting for:

Gray: you’re a winner
Black: you’re a winner…sort of?
White: holy #%+$ you’re definitely a winner
Blue: ummm…maybe tomorrow?
Red: sorry mate…

Teslas are a relatively rare sight in the sea of gasoline and diesel-powered full-size pickup trucks and SUVs in rural Northeast Texas where I live.

My county has just over 124,000 residents. There are only 225 EVs here - 32 of those are Model Ys. I saw two Model Ys this past week and both were white with 20" wheels - just like the one I ordered.

Anyone knows how much is the profit margin? $1000-1500?

This report from 2009 states the manufacturing cost of an aluminum wheel was around $50 each. Size, complexity, and finish will obviously have some effect on this cost, but there shouldn't be a huge difference in cost between a Gemini wheel and an Induction wheel in terms of manufacturing cost. The 20" wheel has a bit more material and a different finish, but doesn't have the added cost of a plastic cover. If the Gemini wheels cost Tesla ~$75 each, the Induction wheels may cost about $80-85. There's nothing fundamentally unique about a Tesla wheel that would make it more expensive than any other aluminum wheel. Based on Model Y production, Tesla or their supplier(s) are making thousands of these wheels every day.

So, Tesla might pay $500 for set of 19" wheels and tires or $560 for a set of 20" wheels and tires, but they charge $2,000 for something that costs them $60 more making them hugely profitable.