Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled the delivery of my second MY AWD (1st one ordered) for March 21st.

It took a little over a month to get both MY AWD to be delivered
Our order has taken almost 1 1/2 months so far and we are preparing for the strong possibility that it will be at least 2 months (from OD) before all is said and done. We anticipated this was going to be the case however given the price drop and crush of orders. Our only "mistake" was not ordering a bit earlier which could have "saved" us $500 + gained additional rebates from NJ.

Last edited:
Wow. As of this morning, there are 18 Model Ys in inventory around NE Texas - most of those are 7-seaters and a couple are the lowest-price AWD models. There are a few dozen showing in Texas on WaitingForTesla. I haven't seen inventory numbers that high in...well...two months.
Yeah there are 9 MY's within 200 miles of my location according to Tesla, 7 of which are LRs but all have 20" wheels (???WHY???) and 4 are 7 seaters. Only one (7 seater/20" wheels) appears to have the tow hitch option.

So no VIN this morning.. but another "accelerated delivery" section appeared and as usual with no cars matching my desired config and definitely at a higher cost. Wonder why this should be showing up if delivery is around the corner?

(answer: EDDs change all the time so delivery may in fact NOT be around the corner)

:rolleyes:

edit: to be slightly less snarky, with accelerated delivery I could probably have a vehicle within a week or so as opposed to 2-4 weeks if the EDD holds. Willing to wait for my desired config and price.
VINs can happen anytime throughout the day - be on the lookout. As days pass, if you're still slotted for March, an Austin build looks more or less likely for you. Those who got Fremont VINs for NC last week have EDDs in the Mar 28-31 range. They need to build yours today at Fremont, or it's more than likely an Austin one. There are of course outliers. Good luck!

Reactions: erktrek
Haha! As I've said before, I've obviously been aware of Tesla for years, but never seriously considered buying one because of the low benefit-to-cost ratio and because I've historically chased brands with high reliability and resale value (Honda has been my preferred brand for the last 15 years) and Tesla has a poor reputation for fit, finish, and reliability.

I've always been a technology geek and have a fondness for products that are largely defined by software. After I became aware of Tesla's price cuts and the tax credit, I felt that now was a good time to jump on one and see what it's like to actually own an EV. I may not like it and that's okay - I still have a Miata that I adore and I have no problem swapping the Tesla for another gasoline-powered vehicle. I suspect, however, that once I get a taste of EV convenience, torque, smoothness, quietness, low "fuel" cost, and no more oil changes or weekly trips to the gas station, I'll be hooked.

Sooo... I'm still holding out hope that the Model Y arrives before the $7,500 tax credit fades away - there's no point in surrendering my $250 "player's fee" until it's over. :)
I had a Honda Civic Touring and sold it to buy my very first Tesla, 2021 M3LR and I don’t regret it at all! We now have 1 M3 and 2 MYs and a Honda Pilot. Husband isn’t ready to go all EV and the Pilot seats 7, so if we need the extra room we have it. I love the convenience of just plugging in the car when I need to. No more gas stations for me.

I had a Honda Civic Touring and sold it to buy my very first Tesla, 2021 M3LR and I don’t regret it at all! We now have 1 M3 and 2 MYs and a Honda Pilot. Husband isn’t ready to go all EV and the Pilot seats 7, so if we need the extra room we have it. I love the convenience of just plugging in the car when I need to. No more gas stations for me.
You're an EV patron, or rather a Tesla patron :D . It is words from patrons like you that encouraged me to buy one; that coupled with the incentives of course. I drive my friend's M3 from time to time and I'm in awe of it. One of the reasons why I'm still patiently waiting to own one of my own. This will be my first Tesla, let alone my first EV.

1/23 OD, Update:
3/7, Recieved Vin, Austin built car.
3/13 - received email to schedule delivery. Delivery Scheduled via the app for earliest available appointment (Saturday, 3/18).

After booking appointment I called Tesla and within a few minutes was able to speak to someone and updated my appointment to Friday, 3/17. Customer service rep was super helpful and accommodating.

Looking forward to taking delivery! I will post my final thoughts and review of timeline once I take delivery. All in all it will have been just under 2 months of waiting. Not bad at all considering last year people were waiting 6-7 months for one!

The question now… do I bring my accessories (3dmaxpider floor mats, and abstract ocean console trays) to the delivery center, or just wait until I’m home to install them, hmmm.

You're an EV patron, or rather a Tesla patron :D . It is words from patrons like you that encouraged me to buy one; that coupled with the incentives of course. I drive my friend's M3 from time to time and I'm in awe of it. One of the reasons why I'm still patiently waiting to own one of my own. This will be my first Tesla, let alone my first EV.
I love my Teslas for sure. We would be willing to purchase another EV from a different manufacturer but when you sit down and look at charging options for traveling, Tesla is the clear winner. I know they are installing these magic docks at TSC but they aren’t everywhere…yet. My mom lives in SC so charging availability is a must.
You can’t beat the price on a Tesla either. I’m sorry I rather buy a Tesla just for the charging infrastructure than a Hyundai or Kia which are the same price or more (here where I live) than a M3 or MY. Not to mention the tax credit. It’s not that I don’t like them. Heck I’d buy a Rivian R1S if they had a good charging infrastructure!
You will be so happy when it comes! Yes going EV for me was a big change but once I did, I loved it. I remember when I ordered my M3, the wait was killing me. It was about a 5 week wait but so worth it. Then it was a 7 month wait for our 22 MY, that was AWFUL!!! The latest edition 23 MY, was 4 weeks from ordering to delivery which I was in shock because well, it’s Tesla!
My dream is to have a MX, but they are way more expensive than the M3 & MY. Husband says if I sell all 3 Teslas I can get one 😂 Nope, not gonna do it. And a SA told me NOT to get one because there are so many components that break on them and it’s a pain in the a** to get them serviced.
Alls I can say is the wait is totally worth it!!

Last edited:
Just spoke to my Hyundai salesman. His latest intel is that the Ioniq 6 will be available to test drive within 6 weeks, so one benefit of waiting for the Tesla is that I might get to test drive that before accepting the Tesla. The way I see it either I drive the Ioniq 6 and love it, or I drive it and I'm even more convinced Tesla is the best in the market. Win/win (except waiting).

Reactions: FanboyNC
Just spoke to my Hyundai salesman. His latest intel is that the Ioniq 6 will be available to test drive within 6 weeks, so one benefit of waiting for the Tesla is that I might get to test drive that before accepting the Tesla. The way I see it either I drive the Ioniq 6 and love it, or I drive it and I'm even more convinced Tesla is the best in the market. Win/win (except waiting).
My husband has the ionic 5 and I actually like the tesla better for various reasons.

Our order has taken almost 1 1/2 months so far and we are preparing for the strong possibility that it will be at least 2 months (from OD) before all is said and done. We anticipated this was going to be the case however given the price drop and crush of orders. Our only "mistake" was not ordering a bit earlier which could have "saved" us $500 + gained additional rebates from NJ.
I am still sticking with 19'' because of additional rebates from NJ.

Oh I'm 100% convinced the Tesla is better than the Ionic 5 (though the 5 is still nice). But the Ioniq 6 will be much sportier, looks gorgeous, and will have far better range (roughly 360 miles). On paper the only car that could get me to switch.
I was going to buy an ioniq 5 in a few months as I need a new car. However, the price cuts and EV tax credit made the MY much cheaper than the ioniq 5 limited that I would have bought. I did test drive the ioniq. A few things that I wish the MY had, but the MY had more milage, more cargo area, I didn't bang my head every time I tried to check out the rear leg room, usable frunk, usable below floor cargo space, etc... If the MY had parking assist sensors, heads up display, am radio, and apple/android auto, nothing would come close right now.

Just took delivery! No issues that I could see. Panel gaps looked good. Paint was something I could only check to the best of my ability given I took delivery during a nor’easter storm here in NJ!

Good luck to everyone else on here. Hoping the tax credit fairies are on your side 🤞

F30A077A-8F5F-4E27-B717-6B4FB8540E8F.jpeg