Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the delivery going to be before march31?

or Elon and team wants to hold delivery in march until the irs reduces the tax
Well the quarter ends March 31st. So they try to deliver as many as they can to boost the quarterly results.
Cars come off the line in Fremont every day and cars coming off in the last week or two aren't going to have time to ship to further locations so Tesla will try to deliver to local people even if their orders are much later than the average order date being fulfilled at the time.
Despite all that, there are always 1000s of cars reported as in transit during the quarterly results so not everything produced in March will get delivered in March.

Tesla has no control over the tax changes. They updated their verbiage on the website yesterday to reflect this. Tesla just wants to deliver max number of cars each quarter.

I scheduled demo drive last week and followed up with text messages with SA if anyone deal fall thru, I am interested if config matches..
Received text "VIN has been assigned" yesterday (14th March)!!
Austin Build, Currently in Transit, Hope to get delivery before April 1st
-Approved for Tesla Loan 14th March
-Uploaded Insurance 15th March

VIN: 14 March
DD: ??

OD: 1/27 NJ
MYLR White/Black/19” (base)
EDD1: Feb-Mar
EDD2: Feb 18- Mar 31
EDD3: April 6-May 31
EDD4: April 13 - May 18
No VIN yet.
Delivery Location: Lawrence NJ

I scheduled demo drive last week and followed up with text messages with SA if anyone deal fall thru, I am interested if config matches..

No change in costs ?

Yes I have been constantly opening Tesla app to see if EDD changed and looking at news feeds and this subgroup feed.

Fyi here is a Twitter link I saw from insideev on the backlog. The tweet from Troy Teslike who publishes a feed on his Tesla stats. This shows estimated wait time from 1/15 as 35 days for mylr and 22 days for myp - shown by country and model.

Greetings all,

As I reviewed my current EDD with no update since 3/4 (3/15-29) 🤞

Noted updated backlog reported by Troy Teslike on Twitter. A month ago with data though mid Jan it showed MYLR backlog around 38 days for 22k units. Through backlog report below it indicates 55 days for 45k. Hoping for my order to fall within that time frame...also still looking at daily inventory updates. I texted SA last night on base price matching and they indicated they would match my base price at time of OD; therefore, pricing of inventory difference would be upgraded options. As noted in our community, there is inconsistency in what reps communicate. I just wanted a documented communication for my reference if an opportunity comes up and if I lose my willpower on staying with 19" Gemini and go with a similar model with 20" induction wheels.

Also, I was browsing Reddit sub on delivery and their FAQ...
From reddit faq - TeslaModelYDelivery
Truncated
California in particular get most deliveries in the last two weeks or so. Tesla does this to allow them to fit in the most amount of deliveries per quarter as they can for quarterly sales and delivery numbers."

"Generally, the less common a trim/option, the less demand, and thus a shorter waiting line. ..."

"Stock white is the most common color and thus has a larger order volume than the rest of the colors. The demand for colors can always vary but generally seem to be in order of: White> Black> MSM > Blue > Red. So the further on the right, the less common and thus shorter line."

Have a good day!

This whole more profit thing doesn't hold water. The production schedule builds a certain number of various configurations. Since a lot of people ordered the lower-priced configs, there's a longer line for them. Someone who orders, say, a 7 seat config that happens to have more cars vs orders in line, will get it soon. It's not a matter of wanting to deliver higher priced cars, but wanting to deliver all of the cars they can.

If there is a grain of truth to the profit motive, it would be that they probably didn't change their production schedule to accomodate the large number of low-priced config orders because they believed they would deliver all the cars they made anyway.
I never thought a 53K car would ever be referred to as low priced. I see where you're coming from though. I could take the same money and go buy a nice luxury car from any number of dealers in many cases for less.

I read a "don't take this personal. It's just their system" which would be accurate. They have the ability to prioritize though. Not disagreeing, just making an observation. THEY have the ability to prioritize the first orders over later orders.

They apparently have chosen not to do that. It would be like me saying I'm making X number of products in percentages every month or quarter regardless of demand. That doesn't add up either. They should be making cars in answer to demand. Otherwise you have i.e. 76 7 seaters just laying dormant in stock.

I never thought a 53K car would ever be referred to as low priced. I see where you're coming from though. I could take the same money and go buy a nice luxury car from any number of dealers in many cases for less.

I read a "don't take this personal. It's just their system" which would be accurate. They have the ability to prioritize though. Not disagreeing, just making an observation. THEY have the ability to prioritize the first orders over later orders.

They apparently have chosen not to do that. It would be like me saying I'm making X number of products in percentages every month or quarter regardless of demand. That doesn't add up either. They should be making cars in answer to demand. Otherwise you have i.e. 76 7 seaters just laying dormant in stock.
I think you underestimate the lead time in the production schedule. For example, they can't let the smaller batteries that have been manufactured just pile up, so they are still making the MYSR cars that are ending up in inventory. The same logic probably applies to the extra components for a 7 seat config. Colors, too, since the paint is ordered well in advance, they need to use it pretty close to when they had planned to.

If a large backlog of MYLR/W/B/19 orders continues, they will EVENTUALLY shift the production schedule (or maybe just change pricing to even out the demand), but it wouldn't surprise me if that were months in the future.

Reactions: memfist
This whole more profit thing doesn't hold water. The production schedule builds a certain number of various configurations. Since a lot of people ordered the lower-priced configs, there's a longer line for them. Someone who orders, say, a 7 seat config that happens to have more cars vs orders in line, will get it soon. It's not a matter of wanting to deliver higher priced cars, but wanting to deliver all of the cars they can.

If there is a grain of truth to the profit motive, it would be that they probably didn't change their production schedule to accomodate the large number of low-priced config orders because they believed they would deliver all the cars they made anyway.
They underestimated the demand for the cheapest configuration that was priced at less than the previous $55K limit. There might have been a logistics issue, like a temporary shortage of Gemini wheels.

Their method of geographical allocations is largely responsible for why orders are not delivered according to order date. And their algorithm for generating EDD's is simply broken.

All these contribute to some people believing Tesla's prioritizing for profit.

Well the average new car price is $49K so maybe not as far off as all that.

It is highly impossible to find fact from fiction as it is regarding the tax credit and it seems it is constantly shifting. What is the latest answer to these questions...

1. There is no tax credit available (not even prorated) if a Tesla delivery occurs after March 31...true? Unknown?
2. Is the Model Y Performance 5-Seater excluded from the tax credit because it is over a $55K cap? Or if you want to leverage the $80K cap you HAVE to purchase a 7-Seater?

I configured a Model Y Performance 5-Seater today at $61,490. I made this purchase under the guidance from their order configurator that it was eligible for the $7,500 tax credit.

It's ridiculous how complex this is.

Reactions: erktrek
1. There is no tax credit available (not even prorated) if a Tesla delivery occurs after March 31...true? Unknown?
2. Is the Model Y Performance 5-Seater excluded from the tax credit because it is over a $55K cap? Or if you want to leverage the $80K cap you HAVE to purchase a 7-Seater?

1. Until guidance is issued, the full $7,500 will continue to apply - even after March. After guidance is issued, the Model Y:

• will still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit or
  • will qualify for half ($3,750) of the tax credit (this is the most common guess) or
  • won't qualify for any tax credit.

2. The 5-seat Model Y was reclassified from a sedan to an SUV last month, so the cap is now $80K.

Last edited:

Wish my SA would reply…

Thanks @zroger73 ! :)

The latest message I'm seeing on the Tesla Model Y order configuration page states "This $7,500 credit is in effect for deliveries taken before an update to the federal guidance, which Treasury and the IRS intent to issue no later than March 31, 2023".

If they will announce guidance by March 31st, then how do we know if the full credit will apply after March? I would love to take delivery of my recent Model Y Performance in April and still get the full credit...but it seems that no assurance is given.

Good to hear that the 5-Seater went back to an SUV $80K cap. There are so many articles floating on the Internet that makes it harder to keep track of the latest.

The latest message I'm seeing on the Tesla Model Y order configuration page states "This $7,500 credit is in effect for deliveries taken before an update to the federal guidance, which Treasury and the IRS intent to issue no later than March 31, 2023".
The keywords are "intend to" - not "will". Federal guidance may be issued today or any date after today. Until guidance is issued, the full credit remains in effect.

If they will announce guidance by March 31st, then how do we know if the full credit will apply after March?
Because the feds have stated that the full credit will remain in effect until guidance is issued, which they intend (there's that word again) to do in March. :)

Took delivery this afternoon. The car is very good shape except there is a gap on the rear bumper on the passenger side. There is no scratch on the paint. Interior looks great! The SA let me check inside the car before paying them. I traded in my RAV4 hybrid and the whole process was complete in an hour. It would be faster if I did not spend so much time checking everything. Drove the car to a PPF shop for a full Expel Stealth treatment and window tint. Will get it back by Saturday. Can’t wait! Good luck, everyone!View attachment 917569
Was your trade in value changed at all once you arrived to take delivery?

1. Until guidance is issued, the full $7,500 will continue to apply - even after March. After guidance is issued, the Model Y:

• will still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit or
  • will qualify for half ($3,750) of the tax credit (this is the most common guess) or
  • won't qualify for any tax credit.

2. The 5-seat Model Y was reclassified from a sedan to an SUV last month, so the cap is now $80K.
Tesla would still qualify for the $3750 part of the tax credit, which accounts for the assembly. The other $3750 for mining critical battery components is the one in question. Will the Feds keep a strict regulation of 60%? Will they keep the clause on procuring from free trade countries? Will they give a 30 to 60 day cool off period, if not? It's all conjecture at this point.