Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us who are concerned about timing of the proposed regulations for the tax credit, this is just my 2 cents - do your own research. But based on my own research and experience, I am personally confident of the following:

1. Per the statute (Inflation Reduction Act) and the IRS guidance (cited by zroger and others), the proposed regs will apply to all deliveries after the date the proposed regs are issued - which means the date they are published in the Federal Register.

BUT: the proposed regs may be different than the final regs (which would likely be retroactive, IF they are more favorable then the proposed regs), so all is not necessarily lost if the proposed regs turn out to be less favorable to EV buyers than the final regs. There will be another round of public comments before the final regs are issued - and the final regs will also need to go to OMB prior to publication in the Federal Register.

2. KEY POINT: all proposed regs (and final regs) are subject to review by the White House Office of Management and Budget, or OMB, before they are published in the Federal Register. It usually takes OMB at least a month to review - but it could be shorter (or longer) for political or other reasons. OMB lists all regulations that have been submitted to them for review by various agencies on their "dashboard." Just search for OMB dashboard on google.

The regulation we are all worried about will be submitted to OMB by Treasury, which includes the IRS.

As of today, Treasury has not submitted the proposed reg to OMB - you can click on the bar chart on the OMB dashboard to see what's pending from Treasury. Which means we should have some time - at least two weeks from the day it's submitted to OMB, and probably much more since this administration seems to want to subsidize EVs as much as possible. Until then, we get the full $7500 per the temporary guidance.

Hope this helps for folks who are worrying - but it's also one more website to obsess on!
Thanks for this - it's good info. If I had to guess the final regs will be more favorable just based on everything i've read about battery sourcing. It appears there are very few (are there any?) that qualify under the IRA as posited

There are some online checklists you can print out.. also TMC has one too but not sure how old it is.
Thanks for the checklist! I will definitly use. Additionally, not related to this post, can't find the original, just wanted to share that I've received quotes for installing charger next to existing garage panel for $325 from a Tesla certified installer vs Q-Merit standard installation fee of $895. Just an FYI...

Reactions: erktrek
Thanks for the checklist! I will definitly use. Additionally, not related to this post, can't find the original, just wanted to share that I've received quotes for installing charger next to existing garage panel for $325 from a Tesla certified installer vs Q-Merit standard installation fee of $895. Just an FYI...
Hi, can you share the electrician contact? I have a quote for over $1K 😳

QMerit is a rip off. They were quoting me like $2,000 to install the NEMA 14-50 plug. I got my local LICENSED electrician to do it for like $400.

MYLR W/B/19 no options.
OD - 01/23
EDD1 – March 17-March 31
EDD2 - March 13-March 31
First text March 5 re: trade-in (none)
First call to SA was about that text: – said to expect VIN o/a March 17, delivery o/a March 24.
EDD3 - March 27-31
EDD4 - April 2 - 16 (today)

Hoping this holds, and GerryC is right about tax credits (thanks for that.)

Last time I drove past the Tesla lot (early AM) there were three car carriers making deliveries, all models/options/colors.

Reactions: hp1234
Same here. It's been 14 days since my last EDD update. Previous EDD updates occurred after 5 days, 20 days, 9 days, 3 days, 1 day, 1 day, 7 days, and 1 day, respectively, so I've currently got the narrowest window and it's been the second-longest amount of time since an update.

My BIL's Jan 15 order currently has an EDD of 3/25-3/31 compared to my Jan 20 order with an EDD of 3/23-3/31. I joked with him several weeks ago that we might end up picking up our cars at the same time...and that may actually be getting closer to reality as our EDDs keep getting closer to each other. We're both in NE Texas.

Every morning, I keep expecting to see the EDD slide into April, May, or June, but it's been sitting at the last week of March for two weeks now. I hope that's a positive sign, but still no VIN.
My EDD just now updated for the first time in two weeks and narrowed slightly from 3/23 - 3/31 to 3/26 - 3/31. That's 5 days which is the shortest window to date. If I didn't know any better, I'd be surprised I didn't have a VIN yet. ;)

1679495089170.png

Last edited:
Welp it happened again this time narrowing the window a couple of days. EDD went from
3/26-3/31 to 3/28-3/31.
Not sure if this is positive. One more change and I will be out of the March window.
I knew it would inevitably happen and it was today. I have now been pushed to April. No love for the Seattle area or people that ordered in mid January.
It's kind of ridiculous I got a message to do my financing which only is good for 30 days and then get pushed out more then 30 days.
This system is flawed.

OD 1/17
EDD 1 - 2/16-3/16
EDD 2 - 3/1-3/29
EDD 3 - 3/6-3/20
EDD 4 - 3/26-3/31
EDD 5 - 3/28-3/31
EDD 6 - 3/31-4/28 (on 3/22)
Still waiting on VIN

My EDD just now updated for the first time in two weeks and narrowed slightly from 3/23 - 3/31 to 3/26 - 3/31. That's 5 days which is the shortest window to date. If I didn't know any better, I'd be surprised I didn't have a VIN yet. ;)

View attachment 920119
Exact same situation, also in Texas. Narrowest window ive seen as well, still no VIN. Hoping we get some news this week.

Reactions: zroger73
We moved our delivery up to this afternoon from Friday, so hopefully I'll have an update on the delivery process and initial quality later tonight.

One interesting thing of note, we received a call from the Sacramento SC and they stated they are doing "express deliveries" and only have 10-15min scheduled for each car to quickly go over details. They stated it is due to the large number of deliveries they are processing over the next week. Hopefully is goes smoothly!

What kind of car, and do you know if you have any equity in the lease that you might be able to use towards the Tesla? You might want to reach out to NYC located Equityhackr and see what they can do. My early lease return went from the contracted $3000 payment to end the lease, to almoist $1300 in my pocket. It took me two days to do it, but that was because i couldn't give up the car the first day.

I have a 2020 MB C43.

I knew it would inevitably happen and it was today. I have now been pushed to April. No love for the Seattle area or people that ordered in mid January.
It's kind of ridiculous I got a message to do my financing which only is good for 30 days and then get pushed out more then 30 days.
This system is flawed.

OD 1/17
EDD 1 - 2/16-3/16
EDD 2 - 3/1-3/29
EDD 3 - 3/6-3/20
EDD 4 - 3/26-3/31
EDD 5 - 3/28-3/31
EDD 6 - 3/31-4/28 (on 3/22)
Still waiting on VIN
I had my financing details in the app and after 30 days it automatically updated itself without changing the interest rate. So even if your financing crosses 30 days mark, it'll adjust it automatically without affecting your interest rate. Although I had to redo trade-in part and once I had the new trade-in value it also got automatically updated in the financing section.

We moved our delivery up to this afternoon from Friday, so hopefully I'll have an update on the delivery process and initial quality later tonight.

One interesting thing of note, we received a call from the Sacramento SC and they stated they are doing "express deliveries" and only have 10-15min scheduled for each car to quickly go over details. They stated it is due to the large number of deliveries they are processing over the next week. Hopefully is goes smoothly!
Check for the big things during that small delivery window (all doors open/close properly, frunk/trunk open, pairing your phone to car, etc). The small cosmetic issues can be inspected and logged in a service ticket either at home or you can stop at an empty parking lot nearby.

Just double check or ask the SA within how many hours/miles you have to report these issues in Service for it to be free.

Reactions: Baba Yaga
MYLR W/B/19 no options.
OD - 01/23
EDD1 – March 17-March 31
EDD2 - March 13-March 31
First text March 5 re: trade-in (none)
First call to SA was about that text: – said to expect VIN o/a March 17, delivery o/a March 24.
EDD3 - March 27-31
EDD4 - April 2 - 16 (today)

Hoping this holds, and GerryC is right about tax credits (thanks for that.)

Last time I drove past the Tesla lot (early AM) there were three car carriers making deliveries, all models/options/colors.
WIld. We have the same OD and model and your EDD history is almost exactly the same as mine including the change to Apr 2-16 today. I figure it either means they've given up on us in SoCal for a Q1 delivery -OR- we'll suddenly get VINs and be asked to schedule delivery in the next day or two. :cool:

Reactions: Patriots12