Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No more schedule slips for me. Picked up my MYLR Blue/Blk/Tow last night in Raleigh. Such a beautiful car. I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I am very happy. It was a long wait but eventually it made it. Got the latest software update (2023.6.9) this morning. Vision Park Assist doesn't seem to work for me though. I guess time will tell on how this Vision system works. View attachment 923378Hoping you each get your car as soon as possible and that your car is all you hoped it would be.
That's where my Telsa went! /s

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Congratulations to everyone who didn't fall into a panic buying trap.

Model Y
1680275037338.png

Model 3
1680275066084.png

VIN assigned, can I hold off on payment and insurance till delivery date?

Also can I pay by check? Feels weird to transfer money over without even seeing the car.
I would upload insurance info whether you’re buying from Tesla insurance or not. (I’m buying Tesla insurance and it is fairly simple and quick. The rate is not bad at all). You can pay by cashier check or set up Plaid account. You can go all the way and click “Submit” button if you decide to do so. As long as you dont click “Pay” the money still stay in your bank account. Im doing that today. After car inspection and go thru the paperwork I will click “Pay”. I wont do that unless I accept the delivery.

Last edited:
Got no text this time around and Tesla changed the DD time, I just happened to check the app and noticed that the DD time was changed from 4:00 to 6:00. Texted Tesla and they said that's the latest timeslot they have for that day and I cannot change it back to 4:00 PM. My wife has her midterm that evening at 8:00 PM. This presents an issue for us. I then asked who has to legally be present to take delivery - because in the app I'm the primary registrant and she is the secondary registrant - and the financing is in both our names. Tesla responded back that our vehicle isn't even arriving at the DCuntil 6:00 that evening - what about the prep time? Their answer is that it'll take time to prep - but the latest they can schedule the DD time for is 6:00 PM. This is rather aggravating given my wife has an exam later that same evening that cannot be moved. Tesla also indicated they only see one registrant - but didn't say who it was - so I've asked who that is, should be me if I'm the primary but if they only see one who knows?. If it's me - can only I show up to take delivery even if the financing is in both names? No answer back yet...
Good news! Tesla called me yesterday mid-afternoon to indicate that our vehicle had arrived at the DC a day early - so we raced down yesterday afternoon and took delivery of our new MY LR MSM. Only found two minor issues during inspection (used the github checklist) - took about 60 minutes to do the full inspection checklist. Highly recommend using this checklist as we were able to identify the two issues using the github checklist. No pics because we were in a rush since the DC starts closing down at 6:00 PM and that's basically when we arrived, and it was getting dark so time was of the essence. Ride home was about 70 miles one way - so had plenty of opportunity to test out various features. On the registrant item - turns out I could have taken delivery myself - since Delaware is a self-registration state - my wife wasn't required. Either way - we are now proud owners of a Tesla! :cool:

Tesla Wall Connector install electrician deposit put down today with an install date of next Wednesday - so will be leveraging the SC network in the interim. :)

Wait, what? What rebate in NJ?
As someone else mentioned:
$2K if the car is less than $55K. It will be adjusted in your final price.
IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong), it's $2k rebate for EVs in the range $45k-$55k and then there's a $4k rebate for EVs at a lesser amount (is it under $45k?).

Assuming this is right, M3 SR would be a steal in NJ cause no sales tax + $4k state rebate + $7.5k federal rebate. However M3 SR is RWD which isn't great for NJ considering it rains/snows a lot (I feel like in the past it didn't rain this much lol).

On WFT, I saw there was 1 M3 SR RWD priced at $40k so in theory, could get it at $40.5k - $4k - $7.5k + no sales tax = $29k total (excluding Tesla's fees).

So yesterday was pick up day. About as quick and easy as you could hope for. We had signed all the paperwork electronically and I had paid for the car via a wire transfer earlier in the morning. When we arrived at the pick up location we just went in side, were greeted by an SC, gave them my name and then the SC walked us outside to our car. I gave the car a quick look over then accepted delivery. The SC then helped us pair our phones with the car as keys and then the SC left us to get familiar with the car and said if we had any questions to come back in and ask. We did have a couple of questions and went inside and ended up being helped by one of the Delivery people who we had talked to back on Superbowl Sunday when we test drove a car and put our order in.

The Delivery guy said he was on his 9th day of 12 hour days during this end of quarter push. He said we came at a very unusual time since they had very few people picking up at that time, so things were more chill and relaxed, and that they even had a single 30 minute delivery spot that went unscheduled, something that never happens during an end of quarter push. The delivery guy said that at the end of quarter the locations closer to the factories get hammered with deliveries and that once the new quarter starts their location will see a drop in deliveries while those locations farther away from the factories, like the upper north east and west, will see a pick up in deliveries. I guess the message for people in the north east and west i s have hope now that the new quarter is starting. The delivery guy even said to come back and visit and hang out during the early part of a new quarter since that is when their location is the least busy.

The delivery guy also showed us his new Model 3 which he was going to take delivery of today. I haven't found any flaws in the car when we picked it up. Did have one issue on the drive home since 3 of the 4 screws holding the Temp license plate on fell out and I lost the Temp plate. I need to find out how to get that situation taken care of.
So happy to say it sounds like an easy fix for my issue of loosing the Lic plate screws and the Temp Lic. Texted the SC and they said no problem you can come by today even though they are going to be slammed. I said I live 3 hours away so they said no problem we can mail you the items.

Reactions: geekfam
As someone else mentioned:

IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong), it's $2k rebate for EVs in the range $45k-$55k and then there's a $4k rebate for EVs at a lesser amount (is it under $45k?).

Assuming this is right, M3 SR would be a steal in NJ cause no sales tax + $4k state rebate + $7.5k federal rebate. However M3 SR is RWD which isn't great for NJ considering it rains/snows a lot (I feel like in the past it didn't rain this much lol).

On WFT, I saw there was 1 M3 SR RWD priced at $40k so in theory, could get it at $40.5k - $4k - $7.5k + no sales tax = $29k total (excluding Tesla's fees).
That's correct. M3 discount would be $4K if car is less than $45K and MY discount would be $2K if car is less than $55K. I am too tall to fit into M3 :), hence exploring MY.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
No more schedule slips for me. Picked up my MYLR Blue/Blk/Tow last night in Raleigh. Such a beautiful car. I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I am very happy. It was a long wait but eventually it made it. Got the latest software update (2023.6.9) this morning. Vision Park Assist doesn't seem to work for me though. I guess time will tell on how this Vision system works. View attachment 923378Hoping you each get your car as soon as possible and that your car is all you hoped it would be.
Congrats! Still waiting in Raleigh OD 1/19 W/W 19" 5 seat. Guess we will see how much longer this takes. Hope is given with your delivery.

Reactions: BobSNC
For the second time that I've noticed, my exact build has shown up in inventory. This one was built March 28th, but I'd probably have to find a way to get to San Antonio and drive over 300 miles home. :)

Just chatted with Tesla - there are actually two matching vehicles at this moment (San Antonio and Austin) that I could have at my original price if I wanted to go get one (Austin is a little closer to me).

I spoke with a different (and more helpful) advisor than the one I normally deal with. This one shared that Texas-built vehicles purchased by Texas residents no longer have to physically leave Texas then return - an Austin build would "make a beeline" to the delivery location.

He opined that the reason I haven't been assigned a VIN yet even though my build exists in inventory is because there haven't been enough of my particular build going near Tyler, Texas. He said Tesla is focusing on deliveries closest to factories at the end of the quarter and that deliveries would begin occurring in more distant locations after the quarter ends.

I've decided to wait since there's really no hurry - unless the full tax credit ends on April 18. :)

Last edited:
That's correct. M3 discount would be $4K if car is less than $45K and MY discount would be $2K if car is less than $55K. I am too tall to fit into M3 :), hence exploring MY.
Savings for NJ folks.

Model YModel 3
Previous Price with Accessories (December)
$67,990​
$46,990​
Current Price with Accessories
$52,990​
$42,990​
Difference
-$15,000​
-$4,000​
NJ Rebate
-$2,000​
-$4,000​
Federal Rebate
-$7,500​
-$7,500​
Sales Tax (NJ)
-$3,511​
-$2,848​
Savings (incl pricecut)
$28,011
$18,348

Last edited:
Savings for NJ folks.

Model YModel 3
$67,990​
$46,990​
$52,990​
$42,990​
Difference
-$15,000​
-$4,000​
NJ Rebate
-$2,000​
-$4,000​
Federal Rebate
-$7,500​
-$7,500​
Sales Tax (NJ)
-$3,511​
-$2,848​
Savings (incl pricecut)
$28,011
$18,348
Remember that the Fed rebate is not refundable. You take the money off the top of your tax bill. If you were to get a rebate it tacks on to it. If you owed it will reduce what you owe but you may not get $7500 in your pocket.

Reactions: erktrek and imgcs
Savings for NJ folks.

Model YModel 3
$67,990​
$46,990​
$52,990​
$42,990​
Difference
-$15,000​
-$4,000​
NJ Rebate
-$2,000​
-$4,000​
Federal Rebate
-$7,500​
-$7,500​
Sales Tax (NJ)
-$3,511​
-$2,848​
Savings (incl pricecut)
$28,011
$18,348
Wow, those savings are incredible! Nothing like that offered here in AZ. But, I'm still loving my MY P.

However, I decided to forgo PFP and apply the ceramic coating myself since I spent $4k to upgrade from the MY LR.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek and imgcs
For those still waiting, hold strong, I have faith it will be worth it in the end. We'll today is my day finally. I have bank check and inspection checklist in hand. I have been impressed / relieved with all the recent reports of the good build quality even during times of, no doubt, high stress on the factory floor for getting the Q1 cars out the door. Crossing my fingers for good fortune on my end as well. And as an aside, in 1967 I saw a bank check that I thought, at the time, was an ungodly amount of money, as my father paid $3300 for his 1967 Chevy Impala. Coincidently, at the age of 67, my bank check today, reads $60,000. Am I crazy? ahhhh... Just showing my age I guess!

Good Luck to all others on this forum still waiting. My best wishes go out to you. You all have been a guiding light during this somewhat stressful but exciting journey. Much Respect.

George

Remember that the Fed rebate is not refundable. You take the money off the top of your tax bill. If you were to get a rebate it tacks on to it. If you owed it will reduce what you owe but you may not get $7500 in your pocket.
Yes, it is non-refundable credit, However, you will get a refund of $7500 if you paid/owed $7500 or more. You will get the refund in 2024 while filing the 2023 taxes. If you have lower tax liability, let's say you owed and paid $5000, you will get ONLY 5000 back.

Some interpret the non-refundable differently. They think they won't get their money back if IRS withheld the money during the year :)

Reactions: PapaGeo and imgcs
Yes, it is non-refundable credit, However, you will get a refund of $7500 if you paid/owed $7500 or more. You will get the refund in 2024 while filing the 2023 taxes. If you have lower tax liability, let's say you owed and paid $5000, you will get ONLY 5000 back.

Some interpret the non-refundable differently. They think they won't get their money back if IRS withheld the money during the year :)
Here is another way of thinking about that.

If your fed tax bill comes out to $10000 and you only had $5000 taken out of your paycheck you owe $5000. If you buy the MY and get the $7500 credit it comes off of the total fed tax liability.

So the math is $10000 fed tax bill - $7500 credit (this is how the nonrefundable comes into play) = $2500 fed tax bill. $5000 taken out of your paycheck - $2500 you really owed would give you a $2500 tax refund.

Reactions: imgcs