Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've listened to different opinions and even changed my own opinions on this over time, but I'm becoming convinced that these delivery schedules are largely, if not wholly driven by profit margin. At the current demand and production, it shouldn't take 3+ months to get a Model Y, but here we are.

At one point, I suspected transportation bottlenecks were to blame, but I don't see storage lots overflowing at Austin or Fremont. These 1,000+ Model Ys they're making every day are going somewhere.

I just get the dreaded suspicion that newer orders at higher prices are being prioritized and only if and when demand slows down will Tesla start delivering lower-priced orders that were placed from Jan 12 to Feb 4 which may not happen unless the $7,500 tax credit reduces or ends on Apr 18.

I believe Tesla dropped the prices too much on Jan 12 and they're trying to discourage those lowest-margin orders that are still outstanding by introducing artificial delays. From a profit standpoint, it's better if a low-margin buyer cancels their order so that vehicle can go to a higher-margin buyer. There's enough demand so that even if Tesla pisses off tens of thousands of buyers, there are even more buyers waiting in line to pay a higher price.

If I canceled my order, this would not be a "lost sale" because my vehicle will be sold to someone else. I would not be a "lost customer" because I was never a Tesla customer to begin with - I am only a prospective customer until I actually take delivery.

From a buyer's perspective, this is maddening, but to a for-profit corporation - it's just business. If I were Tesla, I'd probably make the same decisions they are - do what's best for the financial benefit of the company and its investors even if that means not gaining some new customers.

It's easy to think, "Yeah, but if Tesla would just deliver the car I ordered at the price I agreed to pay in a fair amount of time, I'd be a happy camper and would be more inclined to buy more Teslas in the future, but if they sit on my order in an attempt to get me to pay more than I originally agreed to, I'll take my business elsewhere." And, that may be true, but churn happens with all brands.
So out of the anger stage and now to bargaining. 😁
🤪

So out of the anger stage and now to bargaining. 😁
🤪
Funny - my best friend manages a crematory and has been in the funeral industry for many decades, so I'm somewhat familiar with the stages of grief...and many other aspects of post-death services...by osmosis. ;)

Maybe I can convince him to buy one of these beauties...

tesla-hearse-under-your-dead-body-says-a-dutch-coachbuilder.jpg

I've listened to different opinions and even changed my own opinions on this over time, but I'm becoming convinced that these delivery schedules are largely, if not wholly driven by profit margin. At the current demand and production, it shouldn't take 3+ months to get a Model Y, but here we are.

At one point, I suspected transportation bottlenecks were to blame, but I don't see storage lots overflowing at Austin or Fremont. These 1,000+ Model Ys they're making every day are going somewhere.

I just get the dreaded suspicion that newer orders at higher prices are being prioritized and only if and when demand slows down will Tesla start delivering lower-priced orders that were placed from Jan 12 to Feb 4 which may not happen unless the $7,500 tax credit reduces or ends on Apr 18.

I believe Tesla dropped the prices too much on Jan 12 and they're trying to discourage those lowest-margin orders that are still outstanding by introducing artificial delays. From a profit standpoint, it's better if a low-margin buyer cancels their order so that vehicle can go to a higher-margin buyer. There's enough demand so that even if Tesla pisses off tens of thousands of buyers, there are even more buyers waiting in line to pay a higher price.

If I canceled my order, this would not be a "lost sale" because my vehicle will be sold to someone else. I would not be a "lost customer" because I was never a Tesla customer to begin with - I am only a prospective customer until I actually take delivery.

From a buyer's perspective, this is maddening, but to a for-profit corporation - it's just business. If I were Tesla, I'd probably make the same decisions they are - do what's best for the financial benefit of the company and its investors even if that means not gaining some new customers.

It's easy to think, "Yeah, but if Tesla would just deliver the car I ordered at the price I agreed to pay in a fair amount of time, I'd be a happy camper and would be more inclined to buy more Teslas in the future, but if they sit on my order in an attempt to get me to pay more than I originally agreed to, I'll take my business elsewhere." And, that may be true, but churn happens with all brands.
At this point its all but confirmed IMO. Ive seen orders from February and even March get filled. Also, I think it has to do with your location. Giga Austin is the closest factory to the East coast so they will be waiting the longest for transport.

Last edited:
Not that it makes any kind of difference … but why is it that hardly ever there is inventory available in MA? is it that Tesla doesn’t ship here very often or is it that nobody reject/cancel orders? Even NJ and NY have SOME inventory once in a while … not us :mad:
Occasionally in March I've seen a few of the MYAWD (standard range) listed, or 7 seaters that are way over the $55k limit for the MA rebate. They usually disappear in hours.

I have ignored all of those as I have no interest in paying basically the same as my current order for an inferior standard range, or spending gobs more money on added features I don't need.

I got my VIN on Monday and still haven't gotten a text/noti to schedule but I think that's just because the car is still in transit or just not close enough to schedule something yet.
You ordered mid March and already got a VIN? There's people from mid January with no VIN here still AFAIK. You got white interior and 20", any other upgrades? Any other special magic :)

Reactions: Dr.O and erktrek
You ordered mid March and already got a VIN? There's people from mid January with no VIN here still AFAIK. You got white interior and 20", any other upgrades? Any other special magic :)
LOL I know, I consider myself extremely lucky and if I had a I secret I'd let ya'll know. Maybe they took pity on me since I live in Delaware 😅

MYLR 5S White/Black 19. No add on

OD - 1/26 (1/27 on record)

EDD1 - Jan-Mar
EDD2 2/2 - Mar17 - Mar 31
EDD 2/14 - Mar 27 -Mar 31
EDD 2/28 - Apr - 16 May 22
EDD 3/22 - Apr 1 - Apr 15
VIN assigned - 3/29/2023 around 8 p.m. PT (PA Austin build)
EDD 3/29 - Apr 10 - Apr 17
EDD 4/4 - Apr 7 - Apr 13

4/6 - Home delivery Scheduled for 4/10 (delivery dates options 4/8, 4/9, 4/10, 4/11)

Location - LA County, CA

Yea.. eta was still wayyyy out. Made up my mind and will let someone who still has faith in this company to enjoy my white on black MY. Regular ice truck.
I understand your frustration. I learned that the best attitude toward Tesla is to assume the vehicle will arrive later than expected after a series of delays and to pay no attention to the estimated delivery dates or "VIN coming soon" notifications. Once you have a VIN, however, things become much more certain.

The full $7,500 tax credit still applies through at least April 17 and will almost certainly still qualify for at least half of that and likely all of it for the foreseeable future even after that date.

Eventually, you will get the vehicle. And, I know people who have waited much longer for non-Tesla vehicles such as the RAV4 hybrid my brother took delivery of about a month ago after a nine-month wait and series of broken promises and delays.

Despite the wait frustration, I believe the good outweighs the bad. Tesla makes the most mature EVs available, performance is outstanding, they have excellent efficiency, and are reasonably good values - especially with the price drop and tax credit.

Good luck with whatever you buy instead of a Tesla. I'm going to continue to wait.