Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is fantastic news!!! For us with the price drop even though we have the tow hitch option means we can now take advantage of NJ's "Charge Up" incentives - an extra $2k!!!!

So while the wait and being jerked around has been tortuous there are some nice things that are happening!
Wait, how are you doing that without going through the charger first?

PM me if needed.

Good question. WaitingForTesla has a field for "in transit - yes/no" in their database, but they all seem to indicate "no". Each factory builds over 500 new Model Ys per day which seems to be about the storage capacity of each one. I suspect there may be hundreds or perhaps even thousands of vehicles in transit at any given time, but I doubt it is tens of thousands.

I don't see anything that matches my build in inventory as of this post - the few I've seen were a 10+ hour round trip to pick up. The closest delivery location to me is a service center. I've ever seen inventory there. Dallas is the closest I've seen inventory and even that's a 3-4 hour round trip for me.

The reason I'm not in a hurry is that I'm a bit short of being able to pay for the vehicle in full with cash while still leaving a comfortable reserve, so if I took delivery today I'd have to finance a small fraction of the purchase price only to turn around and pay it off in the coming weeks/months which is a hassle I'd like to avoid.
Makes sense, here in Austin the inventory is a little better but as of now I also do not see any builds that match mine. I have seen builds that did match but were at a higher price point so I didnt bother. I wish I had the cash to pay in full, I will be financing about half, but paying off ASAP. Also, in Texas we have to pay the tax on the vehicle at registration, thanks Texas law! Fun times

The website usually has an "Accelerated Delivery" section that pops up when models are nearby.. unfortunately not always in the desired config. You can expedite updating your order this way I believe but I have not done this presonally so ymmv!
I don't think I've ever seen that before so maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I had gone to "Manage" on the website and didn't see it. I tried editing my order to match the one in stock to see if it automatically matched me, but also text link at the bottom of the edit order page for "View Available Inventory". But going to inventory from that way seems to be creating a new order. It's possible it wouldn't auto match me since it's at the Peabody location not Dedham where I did the demo drive.

I texted Tesla and they said there should be a blue button, I suppose that is what you're mentioning? I've likely just never seen that before as it's so rare to have any LR AWD inventory in MA.

This is the reply I got via text:
This is <X> with Tesla Delivery Support. All available vehicles can be viewed in your Tesla app. Head to "Manage" on your order. If you see a blue button that says "VIEW AVAILABLE CARS" under where it says "Prepare for Delivery" you may tap that button and look at other options. The button will only be present if inventory vehicles are available. Thank you, and have a great day!

I don't think I've ever seen that before so maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I had gone to "Manage" on the website and didn't see it. I tried editing my order to match the one in stock to see if it automatically matched me, but also text link at the bottom of the edit order page for "View Available Inventory". But going to inventory from that way seems to be creating a new order. It's possible it wouldn't auto match me since it's at the Peabody location not Dedham where I did the demo drive.

I texted Tesla and they said there should be a blue button, I suppose that is what you're mentioning? I've likely just never seen that before as it's so rare to have any LR AWD inventory in MA.

AccelVehDeliv (Small).png

Reactions: rjackey

Looking at others in MA, it seems that it takes about 2 weeks from VIN to Delivery ... so maybe you get your VIN tomorrow? Wishing you luck!

Reactions: rjackey
I wonder if they have more than one version of the EDD algorithm running depending on location or something. It is so weird that some keep sliding like yours and others like me get stuck with the same EDD for a very long time. Of course who knows what will happen when we hit the window. Maddening!
I don't know, but the reason I made a visual representation of my EDDs was to make it easier to spot a trend. After a dozen and a half updates, a hint of a pattern is beginning to emerge. The original Jan-Mar EDD on order day was, of course, just a general range. The first update to Mar 3-31 was probably a more accurate best guess with each subsequent update getting closer to reality. I think had I not edited my order on Mar 2, I may have had the vehicle around Mar 7-16, but my edit recalculated the EDD to the end of March. When it became apparent to the algorithm that the vehicle couldn't be pushed out by the end of the quarter, it recalculated a wider and later range from Apr 2-16 before narrowing. I suspect that my turn may be coming up soon, but because of the effects of other orders and transportation logistics on my order, the range keeps sliding a day into the future until all the planets align just right then I'll get a VIN and the process will wrap up relatively quickly. Or, the EDD could widen and slide far into the future as has happened for some others. :)

Reactions: gH0st88
I don't know, but the reason I made a visual representation of my EDDs was to make it easier to spot a trend. After a dozen and a half updates, a hint of a pattern is beginning to emerge. The original Jan-Mar EDD on order day was, of course, just a general range. The first update to Mar 3-31 was probably a more accurate best guess with each subsequent update getting closer to reality. I think had I not edited my order on Mar 2, I may have had the vehicle around Mar 7-16, but my edit recalculated the EDD to the end of March. When it became apparent to the algorithm that the vehicle couldn't be pushed out by the end of the quarter, it recalculated a wider and later range from Apr 2-16 before narrowing. I suspect that my turn may be coming up soon, but because of the effects of other orders and transportation logistics on my order, the range keeps sliding a day into the future until all the planets align just right then I'll get a VIN and the process will wrap up relatively quickly. Or, the EDD could widen and slide far into the future as has happened for some others. :)
The 20"s were accelerating delivery for most people. I bet it is the "tow" what delayed it.