Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to know how you make enough money to afford one of these and DON'T have over $7500 in federal tax liability. Drug dealers would have this problem I suppose (and other criminals, and people with a cash business that accidentally forget to report all their earnings, of course) but otherwise if you have a job and can afford this car, it seems like your federal tax liability would have to exceed $7500, right?
I'll add one more.

How can one afford this car, and not understand the simple concept of tax liability?

These questions also have been answered many, many times online.

Need some advice on what to do.

I have an unavoidable trip leaving on April 27th and returning the evening of May 6th. I reached out to Tesla to see when the car would be at the delivery center. They said it is arriving on 4/29 and per my agreement, I will have a 3 day window to pick up the vehicle from when it ARRIVES at the delivery center. They said I can put a one-time 14 day hold on my account, at which point I will go back in the queue at the end of the 14 days and ATTEMPT to assign me a VIN at that time.

Should I... keep the current VIN and roll the dice that I can stall and push out a delivery appointment?
Keep the car and send someone on my behalf? (least preferred)
Start the 14 day hold NOW, and hope that in 14 days (May 1st) I get another VIN with enough of a buffer that It isn't delivered until I return (after may 6th)
Wait until later in THIS week to start the 14 day hold, then I would in theory get a new VIN with plenty of buffer to return from AZ? *(I dont know if the 14 day hold starts when I tell them to or when they first game me a vin)

My financing currently expires on May 19th at 3.49%. They raised rates .25% already and could raise them again so Im really hoping to get the car by May 19th. That is about the only hurry though and even if I dont get the 3.49%, it's not the end of the world.

"Hi Mike,
The current VIN assigned has an eta of 4/29 at this time.
As as reminder, as outlined in your Order Agreement, you have a 3-day window to pick up your vehicle once it arrives at your delivery center.
If you are not ready for delivery, we can release this VIN and place a one time temporary hold on your account for a maximum of 14 days. During this period our system will not attempt to assign you a vehicle. This hold will automatically release and your updated timeline for delivery will post to your account, as our system will attempt to assign you a VIN at that time. You will have no further holds available and must take delivery of the next VIN assignment.

Please reply DELAY to release this VIN and place your order on hold."
Are you able to go by the location and try and speak with someone to see if they can extend you a couple of days? That would be the reasonable thing for them to do. Perhaps being in person will help. Or they may not have any available appointments when the car comes in (that happened to me). I would wait it out and see what happens before giving it up so early. So I suggest keeping the Vin and see if you can stall.

Looks like a bunch of NJ cars are due to be in around 4/15 into the first part of May. In my experience when they bumped the dates a few days earlier, it wasn't long after that I recieved a text to set my pickup date. It's like they are honing in on a final date those last few weeks.

So far I love the car. Software update over the weekend added tesla vision. I've been using a good cleaner to wipe the bugs off the car, but haven't washed her yet. Waiting for some stuff from Chemical guys. I have come a long way since using dish washing soap. I want to wash her right. Still undecided on PPF.

Looks like a bunch of NJ cars are due to be in around 4/15 into the first part of May. In my experience when they bumped the dates a few days earlier, it wasn't long after that I recieved a text to set my pickup date. It's like they are honing in on a final date those last few weeks.

So far I love the car. Software update over the weekend added tesla vision. I've been using a good cleaner to wipe the bugs off the car, but haven't washed her yet. Waiting for some stuff from Chemical guys. I have come a long way since using dish washing soap. I want to wash her right. Still undecided on PPF.
@Skunis and @erktrek should be next.

I'll add one more.

How can one afford this car, and not understand the simple concept of tax liability?

These questions also have been answered many, many times online.
How can people afford a flagship phone but not understand how to use them?

“For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles – and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I’d prove myself a moron, and I’d be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.” - Isaac Asimov

• Funny
Reactions: beewang
Are you able to go by the location and try and speak with someone to see if they can extend you a couple of days? That would be the reasonable thing for them to do. Perhaps being in person will help. Or they may not have any available appointments when the car comes in (that happened to me). I would wait it out and see what happens before giving it up so early. So I suggest keeping the Vin and see if you can stall.
Thanks. it's a 3 hour drive to the delivery center, but I could try and call them. Yeah, what if it gets delayed in transit, etc.

Yeah my EDD just changed now April 29 - May 06. Just added insurance, now Tesla wants their money but with no firm delivery date scheduled why would I do that? (happy to line it up beforehand of course)
I receive text everyday to provide payment. I decided to provide payment after the inspection as I heard some horror stories from Austin cars.

Looks like we all are getting cars from Austin. Are you concerned about the build, panel gaps, quality control etc?

Reactions: erktrek
I receive text everyday to provide payment. I decided to provide payment after the inspection as I heard some horror stories from Austin cars.

Looks like we all are getting cars from Austin. Are you concerned about the build, panel gaps, quality control etc?
After participating in this forum I'm worried about ALL Telsa deliveries at this point. 🤣

But yeah, def going to keep an eye out. Our SC is like 10 mins away from us and I have no problems dropping by and making a pest of myself.