Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just be careful with Tesla Trade-in. Some users are complaining in other forums that they are actually getting a lot less than quoted price. I decided to go with CarMax or Carvana after the pickup.
Agreed, I sold my car to CarMax exactly a month ago. The whole process was seamless. Highly recommend if you don't want to sell privately.

If you had told me I would save 3K if I could wait another two or three weeks I would have been more than ok with that.If I had a crystal ball that worked, I would have probably popped for the Performance verion at 1K more than I paid. That extra 4K hike at the time combined with the slightly lower range wasn't enough to pull me over, but at these new prices I think I would have jumped. Granted The MYLR no P is still PLENTY.

Looks like there is a 3K silver lining to this cloud for those still waiting.

I am just going to enjoy my car and not think much about the price fluctuations. I am not about to mention any of it to my wife. Wouldn't do any good. Like someone else has said, prices are likely to lower yet again.

If I hadn't ordered 3-4 months ago though, I might be leaning more in the direction of waiting for the New Model Y in the Fall. If a new customer can take waiting to order for 6 more months the Y won't be the same car. Tough call. At this point I am more than content with my new car. Let the chips fall where they will.
Enjoy your cars guys!
That's exactly the right attitude. You could spend your life waiting for the next big thing, or the next deal, or you could just enjoy your toys now and buy new ones later :) I'm taking delivery in a few days, am super stoked about it, and have no intention of worrying about subsequent price drops or future enhancements.

Just be careful with Tesla Trade-in. Some users are complaining in other forums that they are actually getting a lot less than quoted price. I decided to go with CarMax or Carvana after the pickup.
We used Give Me The VIN dot com to sell our car and had a great experience. We almost used AutoNation as well. Both bids to buy our car were close. Both were well above CarMax, which took me by surprise.

• Helpful
Reactions: erktrek
So I lost $3k in car value in 6 days. Tesla lost $50B in market cap by cutting prices yesterday. On track for about $50B today. Enjoying the schadenfreude. After 7 years, the last three months have made me reconsider our relationship Tesla. Maybe time to see other EVs moving forward.

That's interesting, I'll try searching on this topic as I had not heard of getting less at trade-in than the offer from Tesla. I mean, they ask for lots of photos and information, I'd assume as long as you are truthful they would honor their quote. I would walk on accepting the Tesla if they tried to pull something on the trade-in, as I need to either sell first or trade to cover the cash price of the new car.

Tesla offered me thousands more than CarMax or Carvana. A Toyota dealer I tried would not give me a high enough offer to be more than Tesla's offer plus the 6.25% sales tax credit I'd get for direct trade. So private sale is really the only way to try and get another $1000-$1500 out of it. It's tricky because I have to sell close to my delivery date to still have a car, but also have enough gap to make sure the incoming payment clears.

I'll admit in my experience the actual quote they give via the app seems to be in the lower of the "range" they show just on their website though. Not sure if the website range or the firm trade-in offer is what you were referring to.

Picking up early!! SA texted that it's supposed to get here today instead of Saturday. So, I'll be picking up on Saturday. Inspection is scheduled for Wednesday morning, and PPF and tint on Thursday and Friday :)

I'd be very careful... These mofos wanted me to pick up my car... In fact almost insisting on me picking up on Monday or Tuesday instead of my schedule Wednesday.

Told them there's no F way as I was out of town.
Had I picked it up early as per there request, that would have been a $3,000 mistake... 😜

Just saying..

beewang

That's interesting, I'll try searching on this topic as I had not heard of getting less at trade-in than the offer from Tesla. I mean, they ask for lots of photos and information, I'd assume as long as you are truthful they would honor their quote. I would walk on accepting the Tesla if they tried to pull something on the trade-in, as I need to either sell first or trade to cover the cash price of the new car.
Tesla offered me thousands more than CarMax or Carvana. A Toyota dealer I tried would not give me a high enough offer to be more than Tesla's offer plus the 6.25% sales tax credit I'd get for direct trade. So private sale is really the only way to try and get another $1000-$1500 out of it. It's tricky because I have to sell close to my delivery date to still have a car, but also have enough gap to make sure the incoming payment clears.
There is no advantage for me as there is no sales tax for EV buyers in NJ.

Last edited:
Listened to Tesla's earnings call and from my understanding, Tesla is thinking long-term and informed investors they should be doing the same. Emphasized that there are "macroeconomic situations" aka recession/economic uncertainty and profit-margin could suffer short-term but long-term they see lots of profit potential (especially with FSD/AI potential and other things outside of just their vehicles). Elon mentioned that with interest rates being high, the average person can't really afford these expensive cars so cutting Tesla prices allows them that affordability and ability to purchase their vehicles.

As a company, Tesla is looking to grow, continue rapidly increasing production speed and expanding, etc so the stock short-term will probably suffer but as a company and the stock in terms of long-term, things look great for Tesla.

Therefore, I do indeed foresee more price cuts in the future but just not sure by how much.
Did he say that there will be further price cuts? I don't remember this.

That's exactly the right attitude. You could spend your life waiting for the next big thing, or the next deal, or you could just enjoy your toys now and buy new ones later :) I'm taking delivery in a few days, am super stoked about it, and have no intention of worrying about subsequent price drops or future enhancements.
First itinerations of new 1st year cars often have issues. While I doubt the updated Teslas will have anything but maybe minor issues, the possibility exists with any new build that some things could even be WORSE than the older Ys. It tried and proven .vs a new thing. Initial pricing on the new builds could be anywhere in 6 months or more. I don't believe future pricing will be too far out from what it is now. Otherwise they will alienate more buyers. Most advantages I believe will be in front of car appearance( different headlights) and in upgraded auto pilot hardware. I hear they are doing away with the wood dash. I happen to like the wood. For anyone not especially prone to invest in FSD beta, I seriously doubt the new hardware upgrades would be different enough for the average driver to care, Not that you can't still pay for and use FSD on these cars.

So I lost $3k in car value in 6 days. Tesla lost $50B in market cap by cutting prices yesterday. On track for about $50B today. Enjoying the schadenfreude. After 7 years, the last three months have made me reconsider our relationship Tesla. Maybe time to see other EVs moving forward.

As bad as this is, I told myself I never bought the car as an investment. I prolly won't sell mine for quite awhile. If it's any consolation people payed over 65K for a new MYLR in 2022. We got far less of a ding. Yes it's a ding but not a 15K ding.

Reactions: erktrek

There is no advantage for me as there is no sales tax for EV buyers in NJ.
I assume this is just getting the estimated range. When you have an order and enter trade-in info and photos in the app, they spend several days and give an offer like this, which you can accept or reject:

1682014592586.png

The range they gave me at Trade-in | Tesla on the same day was 22.1-25.6k.

I asked how they arrived at the estimate and why it wasn't higher in the range, and response was "your trade-in offer is determined by the demand for your vehicle and your VIN specifically. Please note you will also get a tax benefit with trading in with Tesla."

(This is in MA where direct trade-in offsets the 6.25% sales tax by reducing the transaction price.)

Last edited:
Reactions: imgcs
So, I may be answering this myself but I see several times a car on waitingfortesla come up then disappear for a day only to return again. Same car, same build, same SC.

Could this be someone pulling the car with their SA and then inspecting it and rejecting or just a glitch in the site?

Well... explain this:
- Why the F am I still clicking this thread every 5 mins starting at 4 AM PST in the morning??!!
- Better yet... WTF am I still refreshing waitingfortesla checking for Model Y LR and Performance inventory in the Pacific Northwest region?? on my phone waiting at the checkout lane at Fred Myers (!!!???)...

Realizing now that it has become an addiction in the last 3 months..... urghhh. I am warning you guys. This is like a bad horror movie... it will stay with you forever.. :p

beewang
Instead of checking delivery estimates I am checking my charge all the time now lol. Especially at work! 😆

First itinerations of new 1st year cars often have issues. While I doubt the updated Teslas will have anything but maybe minor issues, the possibility exists with any new build that some things could even be WORSE than the older Ys. It tried and proven .vs a new thing. Initial pricing on the new builds could be anywhere in 6 months or more. I don't believe future pricing will be too far out from what it is now. Otherwise they will alienate more buyers. Most advantages I believe will be in front of car appearance( different headlights) and in upgraded auto pilot hardware. I hear they are doing away with the wood dash. I happen to like the wood. For anyone not especially prone to invest in FSD beta, I seriously doubt the new hardware upgrades would be different enough for the average driver to care, Not that you can't still pay for and use FSD on these cars.

As bad as this is, I told myself I never bought the car as an investment. I prolly won't sell mine for quite awhile. If it's any consolation people payed over 65K for a new MYLR in 2022. We got far less of a ding. Yes it's a ding but not a 15K ding.
I feel for the folks at end of 2022, but it was clear the tax credits were coming. They are horribly underwater. They should have at least been given some supercharger miles. Over and over again Tesla treats customers like 💩. If the only thing that happened the past 90 days was the price drop that would be one thing. But being 💩 on the for past three months and then this as the cherry is too much. Eventually it will catch up with them like it has for the legacy brands. Eventually you have to walk away.

• Disagree
Reactions: beewang and ASN21
So, I may be answering this myself but I see several times a car on waitingfortesla come up then disappear for a day only to return again. Same car, same build, same SC.

Could this be someone pulling the car with their SA and then inspecting it and rejecting or just a glitch in the site?
Since it's impossible to know you'd want to assume the worst - a rejection for whatever reason. Is it a demo car or straight up inventory?

I feel for the folks at end of 2022, but it was clear the tax credits were coming. They are horribly underwater. They should have at least been given some supercharger miles. Over and over again Tesla treats customers like 💩. If the only thing that happened the past 90 days was the price drop that would be one thing. But being 💩 on the for past three months and then this as the cherry is too much. Eventually it will catch up with them like it has for the legacy brands. Eventually you have to walk away.
These vehicles are not investments, surely you didn't buy the car thinking you would make money after owning it a few years? The legacy makers are still going through dealers so they are certainly continuing to treat customers like garbage. I walked away from a few cars simply because of "market adjustments" from the dealers, decided to go through Tesla to avoid all of that. My recommendation is to just enjoy the car and not worry about the cost, Youre going to drive yourself crazy thinking about it. It is worth every penny IMO and the hype is not overdone, amazing vehicle.