Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the Tesla Service center.. for the first time in 4 years (60Kmiles) since purchased the 2019 Model 3.

I was surprised at the amount of "newbies" at the service dept. The reality is these teslas are pretty simple units and with very few moving parts that would requisite a "service". ( I am here due to the front control arm squeak, which is an wear out item that will occur 3~5 years
) chatted with the service ppl, and they agreed with me... . lots of newbs shows up for "just stupid lil things.." 🙃

So there @Skunis @imgcs and @erktrek You go fellas!! ;)😘😘;)

cheers!

beewang
Well, I am not a newb. I have a 2019 M3SR+ :) Been to service a few times but mostly mobile service. :) Mostly good experiences especially when my computer went bad (one side of my sound was not working). Took them a few days to diagnose and a few days to get the part.

So, plates came today. Yay!

But...went to attached it to the back mounting plate and one of the screws will not come off. I took the entire mounting plate off and realize that the metal threads are just spinning with the screw. So, I need a new mounting plate.

Got through to the SC 20 minutes before they close and of course they have none in stock.

That my temp tag is expiring on Sunday, I put it on with three screws and will wait until they get a new one for me which they ordered.

Hoping the plate does not rattle against the screw. Will be very annoying.

Well.. If anyone wants to know... These these wheel covers works great protecting the rims haha 😂
PXL_20230602_224337956.MP.jpg

I was just at the Tesla Service center.. for the first time in 4 years (60Kmiles) since purchased the 2019 Model 3.

I was surprised at the amount of "newbies" at the service dept. The reality is these teslas are pretty simple units and with very few moving parts that would requisite a "service". ( I am here due to the front control arm squeak, which is an wear out item that will occur 3~5 years
) chatted with the service ppl, and they agreed with me... . lots of newbs shows up for "just stupid lil things.." 🙃

So there @Skunis @imgcs and @erktrek You go fellas!! ;)😘😘;)

cheers!

beewang
That makes total sense given my experience as a newb - new car, new TYPE of car, new set of misguided "concerns" thanks to the constant barrage of inaccurate/misleading news about Teslas and EVs in general.

• Funny
Reactions: beewang
We just came back from our first fairly decent road trip - a 3 hour trip (one-way) from Cherry Hill, NJ to Williamsport, PA and then the next day to Ricketts State Park and then return. Supercharging was a great experience once we actually followed the Trip planners advice. We were very hesitant at first to trust bringing the battery so low each time - ended up back at home with a 15% charge.

I have become very fond of the basic Auto Pilot - it's an amazing improvement over cruise control for both light and heavy traffic on the highway. Found the Lane keeper function to be more of a pain - kept getting nags to put turning pressure on the wheel even though I was holding it so stopped using it.

Encountered 2 phantom braking events which were annoying. In the first instance coming around a bend on the highway in the rightmost lane and there was an exit right there with a 25 mph sign and some overhead scaffolding for the exit toll both. Car rapidly slowed down then seemed confused for a bit before picking up speed again after we passed it - no traffic was behind me so I let it do it's thing just to see what would happen. The second was a complete mystery - maybe it was something about the trucks in front of us at the time, dunno.

EV Confidence is building..

Reactions: rjackey and Amhappy
Encountered 2 phantom braking events which were annoying.

On one of our first road trips with our 2021 LR, we were on a flat wide open stretch of three lane highway in Kentucky. A car was somewhat close behind us trying to make a last pass of a semi truck before exiting. There was nothing in front of us, and the car brake checked hard while in AP.

I quickly sped back up, but had to take the well deserved window down middle finger from the car that was behind us. I gave them an honest apologetic wave as they went by. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: rjackey and erktrek
Few other maybe obvious but hopefully helpful things we found:

- The basic autopilot can't seem to read or outright ignores the yellow warning speed limit signs for things like going around curves etc. It also has no ability to understand what speed to return to after encountering a white speed limit ends speed sign (End <MPH>) - but to be fair I usually had no clue what speed to go after encountering them either - assumed it was 55.

- Used the trip planner and did a round trip plan - you have to add the return "home" stopping point AFTER you set your initial away destination, otherwise it will happily inform you that you've arrived before you left. Recommend putting all your stops in including your return so the planner can optimize things for you. If going to be driving around a lot at your away destination you can always redo the trip for the home leg.

- Trust the planner but when adding stops during the trip be extra careful.. we were heading north on I-476 and we had to make a non SC pit-stop (as it goes). For giggles thought it might be good to do a charge at the same time because why not? Tesla helpfully recommended the Southbound Jim Thorpe rest stop charging station which was only an extra mile or so loop around but all good.. Unbeknownst to us and Tesla apparently there is actually a Northbound Jim Thorpe rest stop charging station.. Even more festive is while the North and South bound rest stops are basically in the same area they are not connected meaning you can't change directions if you need to. We were stuck backtracking 10 miles or so + having to execute a super complicated U turn in order to get back on the north bound side sadly losing any extra charging we had gained at that brief stopover and wasting like an extra hour of time. WTF.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
Few other maybe obvious but hopefully helpful things we found:

- The basic autopilot can't seem to read or outright ignores the yellow warning speed limit signs for things like going around curves etc. It also has no ability to understand what speed to return to after encountering a white speed limit ends speed sign (End <MPH>) - but to be fair I usually had no clue what speed to go after encountering them either - assumed it was 55.

- Used the trip planner and did a round trip plan - you have to add the return "home" stopping point AFTER you set your initial away destination, otherwise it will happily inform you that you've arrived before you left. Recommend putting all your stops in including your return so the planner can optimize things for you. If going to be driving around a lot at your away destination you can always redo the trip for the home leg.

- Trust the planner but when adding stops during the trip be extra careful.. we were heading north on I-476 and we had to make a non SC pit-stop (as it goes). For giggles thought it might be good to do a charge at the same time because why not? Tesla helpfully recommended the Southbound Jim Thorpe rest stop charging station which was only an extra mile or so loop around but all good.. Unbeknownst to us and Tesla apparently there is actually a Northbound Jim Thorpe rest stop charging station.. Even more festive is while the North and South bound rest stops are basically in the same area they are not connected meaning you can't change directions if you need to. We were stuck backtracking 10 miles or so + having to execute a super complicated U turn in order to get back on the north bound side sadly losing any extra charging we had gained at that brief stopover and wasting like an extra hour of time. WTF.
The signs have to be programmed in, and i suspect the most common standard signs are the only ones loaded. Went thru a retirement community yesterday that had a slightly off standard speed limit sign and it did not show up. But garbage cans are 100% accurate. Some flashing lights like the ones around schools show up as standard traffic lights as do flashing RR crossing lights. Trains show up as buses or tractor trailers. Pedestrians seem to be OK, as are the road marking arrows on the pavement.

My bike in the garage shows up as a tractor trailer, but my vegetation bins show up accurately as garbage cans.

If they are doing this as AI, I suspect that the patterns of the signs have to be programmed in so they can be recognized. There does not appear to be any learning activated with the vision system at this point.

Reactions: erktrek
The signs have to be programmed in, and i suspect the most common standard signs are the only ones loaded. Went thru a retirement community yesterday that had a slightly off standard speed limit sign and it did not show up. But garbage cans are 100% accurate. Some flashing lights like the ones around schools show up as standard traffic lights as do flashing RR crossing lights. Trains show up as buses or tractor trailers. Pedestrians seem to be OK, as are the road marking arrows on the pavement.

My bike in the garage shows up as a tractor trailer, but my vegetation bins show up accurately as garbage cans.

If they are doing this as AI, I suspect that the patterns of the signs have to be programmed in so they can be recognized. There does not appear to be any learning activated with the vision system at this point.
Yeah it's always fun to pull into the garage and the screen shows us colliding with a tractor trailer.. 🤣 🚚

surprise surprise, this morning I received a new EDD of: 6/10 - 6/16
this morning the EDD changed to 6/8-6/16
Hoping this is a good sign! 😀

I borrowed a friends 2022 MYLR yesterday which has FSD.
Started at 100% (said a couple of miles more than 300 was the range, I forgot the exact number)
I drove a total of 211 miles, got home with 17% battery, AC was running full blast as well as for a while before I left as I thought we were leaving, but the wife had other plans lol

some notes about FSD from my experience yesterday:

I wasn't prepared for it to turn off when we hit a toll plaza (on the GSP where it goes from 3 lanes to 18 lanes) car kind of shuddered or jerked and I took over, but it freaked my wife out.

I wasn't impressed on the merge from the GSP onto the NY Thruway, it took too long to get up to speed in my opinion.

I thought it was cool how it changes lanes to try to maintain your cruise speed, but takes too long to switch lanes (not programmed to drive like you are a Jersey driver I guess)

Also felt like it braked harder than needed at times (just like a human spacing out on the highway and realizes the car in front is stopped)

Overall I enjoyed the experience, but don't see it being worth $15,000 purchase

The seat occupancy sensor issue has returned... curiously seems to happen after turning on the seat heater and warming the seat up and goes away after it's either cooled down or the car charges overnight (unclear) but it's kind of random. Scheduled a service appointment for this week..

Main indicator of the issue - getting into the car and closing the door the screen shuts off. If you then leave your seatbelt off and try to put the car in drive or reverse and try to engage then it will immediately stop and display the DI_a166 "parked to prevent rollaway" alert.. You can still use the car as normal for the most part if you buckle your seatbelt and tap the brake pedal to reactivate the screen. Suspect there might be some other subtle issues with the sensor being offline but not sure.

Side Note: yeah, only kept my seatbelt unbuckled for testing, would never drive such a powerful vehicle (or any) without a seatbelt.

Reactions: Skunis
this morning the EDD changed to 6/8-6/16
Hoping this is a good sign! 😀

I borrowed a friends 2022 MYLR yesterday which has FSD.
Started at 100% (said a couple of miles more than 300 was the range, I forgot the exact number)
I drove a total of 211 miles, got home with 17% battery, AC was running full blast as well as for a while before I left as I thought we were leaving, but the wife had other plans lol

some notes about FSD from my experience yesterday:

I wasn't prepared for it to turn off when we hit a toll plaza (on the GSP where it goes from 3 lanes to 18 lanes) car kind of shuddered or jerked and I took over, but it freaked my wife out.

I wasn't impressed on the merge from the GSP onto the NY Thruway, it took too long to get up to speed in my opinion.

I thought it was cool how it changes lanes to try to maintain your cruise speed, but takes too long to switch lanes (not programmed to drive like you are a Jersey driver I guess)

Also felt like it braked harder than needed at times (just like a human spacing out on the highway and realizes the car in front is stopped)

Overall I enjoyed the experience, but don't see it being worth $15,000 purchase
Delivery appointment scheduled!
June 13th at the Lawrence Township location.

So, I still have yet to get a bill for my first car payment.

Loan agreement states first payment is due 6/20 but the agreement is with Tesla although the finance company is TD.

I would have thought I would get a bill or a welcome package from the finance company sometime soon since the first payment is due in 2 weeks.

I am wondering if they are waiting for the NJ EV incentive to get approved to transfer this all over to TD but I doubt that again who knows.

Anyone else here in NJ had any issues getting their first finance bill?

EDIT: I decided to go to the finance company's website and see if I can sign up for access. I was able to and it does show my payment due on 6/20. So all good.

Last edited:
Last week, it occurred to me that I still hadn't received the title to my Model Y nearly 7 weeks after purchase. I always get my titles in 2-3 weeks, so I did some investigating and found that it had been mailed to different Kia dealership than the Kia dealership I sold a vehicle to after I purchased the Model Y. How or why the title to the Model Y, which had nothing whatsoever to do with a Kia dealership got mailed there is a mystery, but they mailed it to me so I have it now. :)

Last week, it occurred to me that I still hadn't received the title to my Model Y nearly 7 weeks after purchase. I always get my titles in 2-3 weeks, so I did some investigating and found that it had been mailed to different Kia dealership than the Kia dealership I sold a vehicle to after I purchased the Model Y. How or why the title to the Model Y, which had nothing whatsoever to do with a Kia dealership got mailed there is a mystery, but they mailed it to me so I have it now. :)
That is pretty crazy!

reminds me of a "complication" that I had with my current vehicle. I had a loan from a local credit union, after I paid it off I waited about 2 months before I contacted them inquiring about my title. They claimed it was sent to me, and sent me a letter to bring to the DMV showing it was released.... fast forward a year later I received in the mail from the credit union my title with their release and it was post dated a day before it showed up in my mail.

So yesterday we got this pulling into our garage..

PXL_20230605_214841179 (Small).png
PXL_20230605_215013789 (Small).png

I wish our garage could hold a semi sideways... 🤣 (it's picking up our ancient hanger style garage doors)

Today was even worse it looked like a demolition derby... cars and trucks from all sides popping in and out of existence some running into us etc, wild - I mean I get my garage is a little messy but sheesh.

That trip gave you an effective range of 254 miles per full charge. Looks like running the AC while idle lessened your range.

Reactions: rjackey and erktrek
So, recently took a trip out of NJ up to Connecticut. Here's my experience.

Left with the car at ~90% charge. On the way out, we left around rush hour. "Basic" autopilot and lane assist were a dream. Traffic was/is so much easier when the car handles the stop/starts and keeping in the lane.

We stopped on the way up to use the facilities. Nothing major to report; we did not charge the car at this point.

Back on the road, we made it to the hotel just fine. We chose a hotel in CT that had Tesla charging stalls (the hotel had three of the Telsa "home" chargers for use). This worked out well; I only encountered one silly goose who was parked in a Tesla charging stall but wasn't plugged in. I did what any of us would do here and helpfully plugged them in. Let the car charge up to 90% overnight; next morning before checkout I bumped it to 100%.

Tooled around CT for a little bit before heading home. This ride was nicer as we did not hit any traffic. Again, "basic" autopilot and lane assist made the drive so much easier.

Arrived home with ~50% battery. Not bad, considering I never paid to "fill" the car at the hotel (charging was/is "free" [free is in quotes as the hotel was a little more expensive than another hotel of that brand but not as close to the destination]).

Did not encounter any phantom breaking, however, I did encounter an interesting issue; when riding in the slow lane when another lane of traffic is entering from the right AND the solid white line pushes further out to the right (with no dashed white lines) the car tried to center itself in (what it thought was) a "super" wide lane.

Otherwise, no issues at all. We taking this trip to get use to using superchargers before a big trip to NC, however, with the hotel ("free") charging we didn't need to visit any other type of charger.

Reactions: imgcs and erktrek