Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dispute Resolution - Ncds / Screen Defects / Anyone Ever Try This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Has anyone ever gone through the dispute resolution process outlined (last part of the brochure) in the new vehicle warranty? I was just curious how it went, how long it took, or did Tesla cave before filing a formal dispute?

I read the language of the warranty to cover material defects, and it makes no mention to excluding cosmetic defects except for corrosion, so I feel our case would be solid.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is Tesla is going to try to wiggle out of the screen discoloration issue so i just want to be as prepared as possible. They have been asking for patience, which is reasonable, but the explanations raise some red flags. It would be easier to believe if the messaging for the fix was consistent, but it has been anything but that. This might be a bit premature, but at some point it may come into play.

I have an appointment later this week to fix the screen, it hasn't been cancelled yet (though yellow screen is not the only issue). If I get the "not covered under warranty" story, will nicely ask to get it in writing and then file a formal dispute. I'm not going to blame the service center, they only do what corporate tells them. The nice thing about forcing everyone to make appointments online, it is done "in writing" since you have a field to fill out why you are scheduling the appointment, therefore it should satisfy the "written notification" notice (gave it to them a month ago).

Reactions: commasign and DCEV
I have an appointment later this week to fix the screen, it hasn't been cancelled yet (though yellow screen is not the only issue). If I get the "not covered under warranty" story, will nicely ask to get it in writing and then file a formal dispute. I'm not going to blame the service center, they only do what corporate tells them. The nice thing about forcing everyone to make appointments online, it is done "in writing" since you have a field to fill out why you are scheduling the appointment, therefore it should satisfy the "written notification" notice (gave it to them a month ago).

Agree - definitely not the service center's fault, they are simply taking orders from above. The service center here in Honolulu always takes really good care of me anytime I have issues.

Keep us updated if you do end up filing a formal dispute, I may not be too far behind in doing the same.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Has anyone ever gone through the dispute resolution process outlined (last part of the brochure) in the new vehicle warranty? I was just curious how it went, how long it took, or did Tesla cave before filing a formal dispute?

I read the language of the warranty to cover material defects, and it makes no mention to excluding cosmetic defects except for corrosion, so I feel our case would be solid.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is Tesla is going to try to wiggle out of the screen discoloration issue so i just want to be as prepared as possible. They have been asking for patience, which is reasonable, but the explanations raise some red flags. It would be easier to believe if the messaging for the fix was consistent, but it has been anything but that. This might be a bit premature, but at some point it may come into play.

Yes.

I have a MS75D 8/17. The screen was first replaced 8/8/18 under warranty. Problem reoccurred last week. Contacted Tesla via mobile app; appt scheduled for 6/24. Received text from Tesla........

“...Good Morning John, Tesla has determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has NO impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. If you are interested in having the touchscreen replaced we can get you a quote on labor and parts and this can be done by our Mobile Service Team at no extra cost.”

Text from Tesla was on 6/21. Filed for arbitration at the NCDS site the same day. On Sunday I received an email from NCDS that my case was accepted and issued a claim number.

Pretty quickly

Will keep you updated.

Yes.

I have a MS75D 8/17. The screen was first replaced 8/8/18 under warranty. Problem reoccurred last week. Contacted Tesla via mobile app; appt scheduled for 6/24. Received text from Tesla........

“...Good Morning John, Tesla has determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has NO impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. If you are interested in having the touchscreen replaced we can get you a quote on labor and parts and this can be done by our Mobile Service Team at no extra cost.”

Text from Tesla was on 6/21. Filed for arbitration at the NCDS site the same day. On Sunday I received an email from NCDS that my case was accepted and issued a claim number.

Pretty quickly

Will keep you updated.

I think there would be many of us interested in your results, please keep us updated.

If this is just a cosmetic anomaly, why did hey replace defective screens earlier?

It's a tough position to take that a few months ago the defective yellow screens were replaced, as they should be, and now they are not considered defective? Of course this is a defect and it should be replaced.

If your black seats turns pink, could they say that it is a cosmetic issue that does not impact performance or function?

The screen turning yellow does affect the function of a clear color screen actually being able to display colors :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes.

Pretty quickly

Will keep you updated.

The arbitration is a joke.

First, you’re required to be there but Tesla is not and thus the process is done via conference call to Fremont.
And the arbitrator is not technically knowledgeable enough about EV and Tesla and so he/she will take whatever Tesla presented to him/her as the final say.

It’s a waste of time.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The arbitration is a joke.

First, you’re required to be there but Tesla is not and thus the process is done via conference call to Fremont.
And the arbitrator is not technically knowledgeable enough about EV and Tesla and so he/she will take whatever Tesla presented to him/her as the final say.

It’s a waste of time.

This could be useful information.

Was this your personal experience? If so, what was your dispute over?

You mentioned the arbitrator is not technically knowledgeable about EV and Tesla...this would seem to be irrelevant for this particular dispute. This is about defective material used in a screen that turns yellow, I can’t imagine how anyone couldn’t understand that. Not all disputes are the same, so it might not be apples to apples comparison in prior arbitration cases with Tesla.

Additionally, he already had the screen replaced before under the warranty making his case even stronger.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and StarLog
Believe the reason that Tesla no longer wants to replace the yellow banded screens, is that the replacement is not really a fix nor repair.

The yellow bands usually just reoccure in a bit, and the cost of replacing the screen is thousands.

They are working on longer lasting fixes, but currently it is just a band aid...a very expensive band aid.

Reactions: StarLog
Believe the reason that Tesla no longer wants to replace the yellow banded screens, is that the replacement is not really a fix nor repair.

The yellow bands usually just reoccure in a bit, and the cost of replacing the screen is thousands.

They are working on longer lasting fixes, but currently it is just a band aid...a very expensive band aid.

Maybe that's all true but that is not what Tesla's position.

Its position is very clear: "a cosmetic anomaly, which has NO impact on performance, function, or reliability".

Their position is as long as it's cosmetic, they don't need to fix it but they did fix these mismatched door colors below so their position is very a contradiction:

Dkq4vQtU8AAYPU5.jpg

Just to update this thread, after hearing different stories, including the "does not affect functionality", I pushed for a written response, and I got this:
Tesla is currently working on developing a repair to touchscreens that will be covered under the warranty as long as the issue is reported while the car is still under the limited warranty coverage. Clients are able to pay to have the touchscreen replaced now.

At this time I do not have a timeline for the repair. You can schedule an appointment for replacement which I believe costs roughly $1,250.

Will be exploring dispute options next week.

• Informative
This could be useful information.

Was this your personal experience? If so, what was your dispute over?

You mentioned the arbitrator is not technically knowledgeable about EV and Tesla...this would seem to be irrelevant for this particular dispute. This is about defective material used in a screen that turns yellow, I can’t imagine how anyone couldn’t understand that. Not all disputes are the same, so it might not be apples to apples comparison in prior arbitration cases with Tesla.

Additionally, he already had the screen replaced before under the warranty making his case even stronger.
Yes, it's my personal experience.

Since we're in a legal proceeding, I can't say much more than it has something to do with the battery.

Thanks,

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and croman
It's a tough position to take that a few months ago the defective yellow screens were replaced, as they should be, and now they are not considered defective? Of course this is a defect and it should be replaced.

Tesla used to cover a lot of items under warranty/goodwill that weren't actually warrantable items. (Even replacing things that failed after the warranty expired. They even replaced someone's battery that failed out of warranty for free.) They are doing that a lot less of that now that they are in cost containment mode.

• Disagree
Tesla used to cover a lot of items under warranty/goodwill that weren't actually warrantable items. (Even replacing things that failed after the warranty expired. They even replaced someone's battery that failed out of warranty for free.) They are doing that a lot less of that now that they are in cost containment mode.
"Used to" is the key word. Back in the day, Tesla had great service. Yes, their cars weren't perfect and usually required some TLC from service, but they took car of things - you could get a live person on the phone, you could schedule an appointment within days (same day if urgent), got a Tesla loaner (not the "same or better" as per Elon's media hype, but still a Tesla), they'd wash your car for you while there, etc.

Today, no more live person - online scheduling only, with a month wait - not even a way to find out simple things, like how much for a new set of tires - you have to make an appointment first (online chat guys say to call service center, service center has a machine that tells you to make an appointment). Loaners, well, I don't know exactly how many they have, but got the impression they have less than a handful of them, and given that they queue up cars on the lot days in advance, few lucky people get them, the rest are delegated to Enterprise, which, surprise surprise, also runs out of cars! Oh, and they now have insurance upsells on the rentals too - nothing you ever had to worry about before. I went last week, after Enterprise finally got there, it turns out they had 2 cars left - both Dodge vans, and I was lucky because they were about to be rented anyways, then no more cars available for anyone dropping cars off. Oh, another change which happened as I was there, no more fuel reimbursements - this was so new nobody knew about it, except for the SA which checked me in. When it turned out my Enterprise car wasn't filled with gas, the agent told me "Fill it up, Tesla will reimburse you, no problem", but I remembered the SA saying they don't, so we wen't back, asked some other people, they all said that Tesla reimburses for fuel, until someone went back to check for sure, and nope, no more fuel reimbursements (so I had enterprise go fill it up first, another 45 minute delay). They don't wash cars anymore either - personally I rarely used to use that as I preferred to just get my car back earlier, but in the the new system you drop your off, they it might take days to get into the shop for the 1 or 2 hr service, so no quick turnaround service visits anymore either - I scheduled this a month in advance, I thought that meant my car had a slot booked, but apparently that is not how scheduling an appointment works. And of course, the yellow screen, in the old days it would have been "no problem, well put a new one in for you". Today, I got 3 different stories, all boiling down to "nothing we can do for you, unless you pay $1,400 for a new screen".

Elon took over as president of sales and service when John McNeil left. Apparently the VP of service left shortly after Elon took over McNeil's job too. So, what we are experiencing today is Elon's re-invented version of service.

Expect things to get far worse as Tesla continues to tighten its belt. I was told last week that my squeaky radiator fan was not covered under warranty because the squeak is "cosmetic", even though the fan was previously replaced three times for the same reason. After I pushed back, they covered it. There must be a lot of pressure on service to contain costs.

Though I would add that a battery issue would seem to be more complicated then the one in question here.

Yep, especially when it appears that what they are trying to get covered appears to currently be just battery degradation which is not covered under the warranty. (It seems like normally these "excessive degradation" issues normally turn into failed batteries after a little bit longer use, but eventually someone will end up having an unusually large amount of degradation that just isn't covered under the warranty.)

I understand, appreciate the response.

Though I would add that a battery issue would seem to be more complicated then the one in question here.
Agreed.

Having said that, hypothetically speaking, let me take Tesla attorney in a made to believe arbitration process.

Mr./Ms. Arbitrator: Mr. Tesla, you stated the yellowish screen is a cosmetic issue and thus not covered u dear warranty then why did Tesla replaced those previously?

Mr. Tesla: Sir/Madam, we’re truly sorry but we made a mistake previously by replacing those. The error was due to our lack of in-depth know how back then of that particular item. Our engineers however recently discovered, after exhausting testing, that it is indeed just a cosmetic issue and it will not interfere with normal daily use of said item.

Mr./Ms. Arbitrator: Ahhh, I see. Well, then I rule for you Mr. Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: croman