Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Big Brake Kit with Brembo 6 piston Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone doing for the rears? I'm debating between:

1 - Buy the Girodisc rear rotors (or just leaving them stock), and grabbing a spare set of OEM rear calipers to send off to paint with my new fronts. My car is red and my wheels are bronze, so red isn't an ideal color for the calipers.

2 - Buy the MPP rear setup, and send the new caliper pieces off for paint with the fronts

3 - Just leave the things red, and paint only the front calipers to match stock

Admittedly, I'm probably going to go a bit ricey with the color of the calipers, but I think the end result is going to look good, AND perform great. As long as they don't turn brown at the track, they should be great.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
What is everyone doing for the rears? I'm debating between:

1 - Buy the Girodisc rear rotors (or just leaving them stock), and grabbing a spare set of OEM rear calipers to send off to paint with my new fronts. My car is red and my wheels are bronze, so red isn't an ideal color for the calipers.

2 - Buy the MPP rear setup, and send the new caliper pieces off for paint with the fronts

3 - Just leave the things red, and paint only the front calipers to match stock

Admittedly, I'm probably going to go a bit ricey with the color of the calipers, but I think the end result is going to look good, AND perform great. As long as they don't turn brown at the track, they should be great.
For rears, bought M3P rear calipers and going with MPP.R rear setup. Sticking with red for calipers. Running Motul RB660 brake fluid and will change pads over to Pagid RSL29s

I don’t think these will be enough.

75FC3261-C31C-43D4-B6FF-2DF988DA563C.jpeg

Last edited:
@santua only ONE more needed for the next order!

Thanks for pushing this, Jesse and the fantastic research from @drpheta. Was chatting with @buckets0fun at the track over the weekend about this setup and cannot believe I missed this thread. I felt a spongy pedal on the way home and fairly sure I boiled the fluid - stock calipers, stock rotors, 5th track day on RBF600. This seems like the easy button and I think it is unlikely track folks will find this lacking given the amount of time we can realistically expect in a session, especially with an RBF660, Castrol SRF, or Project Mu G-Four 335.

As a Corvette owner I am on the hunt for the same calipers as @drpheta's and leaving them as is. 👺 This caliper design in red reminds me of the pignose WRX 4-pots the Subaru community was aching for back in the day. To add to the info here, the pad shape on the DIY GM 6-Piston Brembo is FMSI D1405 and much more likely to be in stock than OEM Performance caliper pads. This list is non-exhaustive and untested, but hopefully helps someone searching in the future for track pads. You can probably guess the part number if you're looking for a different compound with the exception of Hawk and Ferodo. I have reached out to Performance Friction as I am somewhat surprised to not see a PFC08 or 11 in this size.

ManufacturerPart NumberCost
Carbotech XP12CT1405-XP12$
Ferodo DSUNOFRP3133Z$$$
G-LOC R12GP1405-R12$
Hawk DTC-70HB649U.605$
Pagid RSL298081-RSL29$$
Raybestos ST43RC1405 ST-43$

I am looking forward to giving this setup some track abuse and hoping to keep my 18s.
Thank you for the great data!

I have been reading through some brake pad threads on the Camaro forums and several are also reporting the Power Stop Track Day Pads, PST 1405, are a pretty decent pad for a DD seeing occasional track days. Specifically, they don’t seem to wear quite as long as other dedicated pads (order of magnitude 50-65% as much track time), and sound like they dust more than most, but generally hold up to the heat and can be had for around $150 per front pair.

Lots of positive reports on the ST-43s, though.

Those of you who removed the front dust shields. What tools were required? I'm getting ready to tackle this job soon.
To remove the dust shield you use a T30 bit to remove the 3 bolts. My front dust shields are enclosed, so I had to also cut them with a dremel. Otherwise you will need to remove the entire hub.

Refer to video from MPP.

Attachments

• dustshield.jpg
    dustshield.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.