Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I just got my new 3. And seems like HL is already installed dont know why.
I am having these error. Anyone know how to fix?
1691021844503.jpg

20230802_165848.jpg

Hello. I just got my new 3. And seems like HL is already installed dont know why.
I am having these error. Anyone know how to fix?
View attachment 962006
View attachment 962007
I tried installing a homelink model from an Audi (vw part) just to see if it would work. After I installed it, the car showed the same as what you are seeing. So if your M3 is used, the previous owner may have tried to install a non M3/MY homelink module. And for those interested, the homelink module did not work (unsurprisingly)...it allows you to start a garage door profile but won't go past the 2nd step.

I'm trying to locate the homelink cable on an Austin (2023) Model Y - and it's not at the obvious location (as in the videos). Any idea where to look for it?

NVM - found it, hanging down near the headlight. Now just waiting for my eBay shipment to arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm trying to locate the homelink cable on an Austin (2023) Model Y - and it's not at the obvious location (as in the videos). Any idea where to look for it?

NVM - found it, hanging down near the headlight. Now just waiting for my eBay shipment to arrive tomorrow.
Installed the homelink module, configured it in the service menu, and everything is working perfectly :)

Reading through this thread, it seems for my 2022 Model 3 that I don't need to remove the bumper cover if I use one of the 2 holes by the frunk release latch? Would the Tesla E-Torx screw from the Homelink kit work in that hole? Has anyone encountered water/vibration damage to the module in this location vs the OEM location?

Yes. Yes. No, although I put a zip tie around the housing and module to prevent it from falling out. In the oem location/position, the module is horizontal and can't easily slide out. In the easy to reach position, it is vertical and could potential fall out of the mount. This will make a lot more sense when you actually install the module.

As far as water, it is the same or maybe a little better because it isn't right behind the bumper cover. In an accident, the easy spot is in a much better location.

Reactions: metroplex
I bought a kit off eBay. Looks like a genuine Tesla Homelink unit, even had a July 2023 manufacture date. I would have paid the extra for the $350 Tesla kit direct, except they no longer ship to you in a sealed box - it goes to the Tesla SC.

Took under 1 hour to do the full install. Most "difficult" part was making sure the metal clip for the frunk at the wiper fluid was actually there. Mine popped out when I removed it and didn't even realize it. The factory manual also said the HVAC intake grille had 4 push clips, my 2022 only had 3.

Followed the instructions for Service mode, rebooted, and then had to close the door and let it cycle over. Then I saw the Homelink option pop up below MyQ (I don't use or have MyQ).

I don't know if it was because I had a weak 12V battery for my dad's garage door opener (it measured 11.92 VDC) or if it was because I chose the easy location, but I had to pop the frunk in order to provide a strong enough signal for Homelink to pick it up. It wouldn't pick it up if I aimed my opener at the Tesla emblem or in the front bumper area.

I wish I saw this thread last year!

Just wanted to chime in - Location detection works great.

I noticed that I need to have a key with me in order to use Homelink. This is kind of neat because in other cars with Homelink (e.g. my 2017 Fusion Sport) that are on the visor/mirror, if you manage to access the interior you can use the Homelink to open the garage door without having a key.

I installed the homelink module per the thread on a 2023 Model 3P. Connector was in middle of frunk. After going into service mode to enable, I get a failure message on trying to enable the module. Any ideas? Is it possibly a bad module? I got it off of eBay with mount and bolt.
PXL_20240210_221215951.jpg

I installed the homelink module per the thread on a 2023 Model 3P. Connector was in middle of frunk. After going into service mode to enable, I get a failure message on trying to enable the module. Any ideas? Is it possibly a bad module? I got it off of eBay with mount and bolt.View attachment 1017222
I removed the module and then went into service and ran the enable process and received same message. Looks like device isn't recognized or not responding and is defective. I ended up returning to eBay seller. May buy from Tesla like OP.

I removed the module and then went into service and ran the enable process and received same message. Looks like device isn't recognized or not responding and is defective. I ended up returning to eBay seller. May buy from Tesla like OP.
Another DiYer have the same error. Looks like we are not allowed to do DiY any longer.

I also picked up a new Tesla OEM labeled Homelink unit from eBay. In Mid January I DIY installed, everything worked without issue. Still working OK as of now, I'm on 2023.44.30.8. Hopefully it won't break after the next FW update, if it does, I'll update again.