Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the foam mounted on the rim centrifugal force works against the stuff staying attached. It would probably end up being a mess.
Yeah, but it's not heavy so if a good way could be found to attach it, and still somehow be able to get the tire on, it would have a better chance of staying put. On the tire side the bond is asked to constantly flex, and there is a large Delta-T as the tires heat up/cool down with the drive cycles.

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp
Some type of band or belt...

The trick would be getting the tire on. Some wheels have a shallow well and the tire can just barely fit with nothing there. I guess you could create a tube-like structure to avoid that issue, but that comes with a whole host of other problems. Having the foam against the tread appears to be the most practical way.

With the foam mounted on the rim centrifugal force works against the stuff staying attached. It would probably end up being a mess.

Yeah, but it's not heavy so if a good way could be found to attach it, and still somehow be able to get the tire on, it would have a better chance of staying put. On the tire side the bond is asked to constantly flex, and there is a large Delta-T as the tires heat up/cool down with the drive cycles.

Some type of band or belt...

The trick would be getting the tire on. Some wheels have a shallow well and the tire can just barely fit with nothing there. I guess you could create a tube-like structure to avoid that issue, but that comes with a whole host of other problems. Having the foam against the tread appears to be the most practical way.

You've got to appreciate the fact that we have a conversation taking place in this thread among people trying to reinvent the wheel! (Or at least improve it.)

Last edited:

been there, done that, about 20 years ago and got flamed for saying so ealier in the thread ;)
Nomex suit on this time :D

Made a heck of a dfference as I recall. I used neoprene band-strapped around the wheel.
Would I recommend that as a solution - no.
But it was worth a try at the time.

My reasoning at the time was that the rim picked up the vibration from the tyre and resonates and amplifies, damping that resonance would reduce its transmission into the car.
As I said it worked well for me, but changed the car shortly after and the new one was quieter anywat so never returned to the idea (must be said that when the neoprene was removed it was still as fitted and undamaged)

Reading this thread is most interesting and Artsci's approach has to be applauded.

Adhesion/flex/temperatures issues aside, if I have a concern about damping the tyre is that I would be doubtful you could get sufficient damping performance from foam vs the tyres mass/rigidity to make any difference to the mechanical noise generated, more likely you are reducing the noise within the tyre cavity more than the tyre noise itself.

These projects are great though, and sometimes amazing results can come from them.

The latest on why my experiment failed. The shop just called me. They removed the tires this morning and found that the adhesive did not hold. The foam came loose and was all bunched up in one section of the tire. Thus the excessive vibration at speed.

So I'll be reinstalling the same foam with a different adhesive when I get back from TMC Connect mid-July.

As some of you noted, we're learning from our mistakes.

Reactions: shthpnz
Out of curiosity...does anyone know what filling the tires with a heavy inert gas such as sulfur hexafluoride would do? Would it dampen noise or just shift the frequencies a bit?

I've not been involved with this, but it's likely it would only shift the frequencies because there is no material to absorb the sound.

Now that I have the 20" Pirellis reinstalled on my car I have a fresh perspective on the sound deadening difference of the Recticel foam in my 21" Michelin Pilot Sports. Basically my first reactions seem to have been correct: the foam makes the Michelins nearly as quiet at the Pirellis without any foam. It is also quite clear that the sound measurements from an iPhone sound meter are not a reliable way to measure these things.

• Informative
... I have a fresh perspective on the sound deadening difference ... It is also quite clear that the sound measurements from an iPhone sound meter are not a reliable way to measure these things.
Yes.

I now have over 3000 miles driven on my foam filled 19" tires. Without a doubt, the tires are quieter. However, there are some frequencies that don't seem to be dampened, and some types of road surfaces that seem to negate the foam and cause reverb in my car.

Without purchasing some expensive equipment, I'm not sure how I can measure what is happening, nor how to proceed in my quest to make my car quieter.

• Informative
The Primacy are very quiet if the pavement is smooth--this is true even when they have little tread left. Here in Texas, smooth roads are not often the case due to the large aggregate found in many rural highways. I doubt that anything less than 10 cm of acoustical foam surrounding the entire car will help (though I'm willing to try anything that appears promising). That said, there are many cars that exhibit more tire noise on those kind of roads.

I had the opportunity to compare the 19" Primacy tires to the 21" PS2 tires on the same car and same roads. On a good asphalt road the PS2s are quiet and only howl on the above mentioned aggregate roads in my test loop. The Primacy tires are generally quiet, but have a different "ring" to them [a certain ping that reminds me of a... steel drum for lack of a better description]. On the same aggregate they do sing but only 20% of the perceived noise from the PS2. Made a crude iphone recording to compare when the PS2s are back on the car.

Wish I had the budget to try the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and the ContiSilents on the same test loop.

• Informative
Now that I have the 20" Pirellis reinstalled on my car I have a fresh perspective on the sound deadening difference of the Recticel foam in my 21" Michelin Pilot Sports. Basically my first reactions seem to have been correct: the foam makes the Michelins nearly as quiet at the Pirellis without any foam. It is also quite clear that the sound measurements from an iPhone sound meter are not a reliable way to measure these things.
I bought my Model S without the parcel shelf and decided to build one instead of purchase. I used 1/4-inch sound absorbing foam over plywood as the primary structure, and I definitely noticed a difference in interior sound. My phone with a sound meter only indicated a 1 or 2 decibel difference, but there was a very noticeable change in sound. It seemed quieter, but I think it was actually a change in perceived pitch. I assume you're experiencing the same with perception vs. phone.

• Informative
I bought my Model S without the parcel shelf and decided to build one instead of purchase. I used 1/4-inch sound absorbing foam over plywood as the primary structure, and I definitely noticed a difference in interior sound. My phone with a sound meter only indicated a 1 or 2 decibel difference, but there was a very noticeable change in sound. It seemed quieter, but I think it was actually a change in perceived pitch. I assume you're experiencing the same with perception vs. phone.

Because decibels are logarithmic, one or two is actually a lot.

Sound deadening really is a crapshoot and SO tough IMO. Most of the 'lunar lander" look folks where dynamat or equivalent is plastered everywhere are really doing it wrong. The Dynamats of the world just need to be applied enough to stop a metal panel from resonating...it doesn't take much to do that on a panel. The rest of the sound is generally better blocked with mass loaded vinyl like luxury liner pro from second skin (see here: http://store.secondskinaudio.com/mlv-noise-barriers/). There are also coatings. I agree, however, 100% that the best tactic is to address noise at teh source as everything else is a chasing game. One of the other challenges with deadening is that noise travels through the slightest openings so if everything isn't blocked it can be almost as loud. As an example, turn on some music or the TV in a room with a door, now start slowly closing the door...notice how the sound is almost as loud outside the room until the door is almost completely shut.

This was my short sound deadening journey for my 2005 GTO...never did get around to doing the wheel wells with anything...
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291001

Reactions: alexGS
Artsci,

I followed your thread about "DIY solution to deadening tire sound" and noticed the complexity of the issue.

Since April 2015 I drive ContiSilent 21" tires and it's true, they are quieter than others. But mine only last 7,000 miles and that's why I'm going back to the Hankook Ventus Evo2 soon.

Here is where I ask for your advice:

I intend to remove the sound deadening material (foam) from my Conti's and try to install it into the Hankooks. My questions:

1. Can you recommend a method or a tool to remove the foam from the inside of the Conti's?

2. What glue would to recommend to reattach the foam again into the Hankook's?

Thank you for your assistance. If you like to can PM to me at [email protected]

Mike