Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rick,

thank you so much for this procedure.

your link for the foam leads to:

Dap 25316 Weldwood Gel Formula Contact Cement - Tan Gallon @ amazon.

Should I buy the 25316 or use the 00271 as per your instructions? I have difficulties finding a gallon of the 00271. The usual quantity is a pint and I would need 8 pints for 1 gallon. But I find a gallon of 00273 on amazon. Can I use this instead of 00271?

Please clarify. Thank you.

Michael Emrich

My mistake. You need 25316 Gel. I'll fix the intstructions.

great job and write up.
Fantastic that your tenacity seems to have paid off with positive results

Look forward to seeing the noise figures, and request please that you post an update when you have some miles on the install to confirm that the adhesive is holding intact.

What is the added mass btw?

And one more question:

You write: "cut 4 foam strips to the width of the tread from the 48 inch x 6 ft foam sheet. (Each piece should be 6 ft long)."

My tread width is approx. 8 inches which makes 32 inches for 4 tires. 16 inches are left over.

Why do you recommend buying a 2-pack of the 48" x 72" x 2-1/2" Eggcrate foam? Wouldn't a single sheet of 72" x 80" x 2-1/2" be sufficient and with $47 cheaper than the 2-pack for $94? This would also bring the total costs close to $100 as mentioned in your article ($47 for the foam and $55 for the cement).

Still a big fan of your procedure.

Michael Emrich

Is 1 week necessary for cement to dry? I was hoping to let it dry for a few hours. :)
You made me curious as well, so I googled it. I know it's a different type of contact cement, but per this link, drying time is quicker if the ambient air is low humidity or warm, so it depends. But it's still curing even after it's dry to the touch, so the most important take-away from this site is the very end of the FAQ, that says:

15) What are the prime causes of bond failure?

• Coating too thin (not enough glue)
  • Bonding too soon
  • Not enough pressure
  • Exposure to high heat within 3 days

So is a full week necessary? Probably not, but when we're talking $80K to $140K riding on the tires, it's far better to be safe than sorry.

So is a full week necessary? Probably not, but when we're talking $80K to $140K riding on the tires, it's far better to be safe than sorry.

I suspect those who want to skirt by with hours vs. a week may not have a second set of wheels and thus, their car is immobile during this time. Additionally, if they don't have a lift or stands, it could take a couple weeks to complete all 4 tires. Personally, I would still wait a week if I was going to do this just to play it safe.

Wow, @artsci, just... wow!

Thank you for devising, experimenting, implementing and describing.

Do you have measurements yet for impact on range (presumably low, given your report of ~10 oz additional mass per tire) and sound improvement?

Thank you very much!

Alan

I'll have them this week. Need to have a sufficient number to average them.

- - - Updated - - -

You made me curious as well, so I googled it. I know it's a different type of contact cement, but per this link, drying time is quicker if the ambient air is low humidity or warm, so it depends. But it's still curing even after it's dry to the touch, so the most important take-away from this site is the very end of the FAQ, that says:

15) What are the prime causes of bond failure?

• Coating too thin (not enough glue)
  • Bonding too soon
  • Not enough pressure
  • Exposure to high heat within 3 days

I highly recommend a full week. If the foam comes loose the wheels go out of balance immediately and one has to keep speed under about 40 mph. The tires to have be taken off the rims to have the foam removed. Not fun.

I have no doubt that the noise reduction is real and very worthwhile, but no, I have not preformed any valid noise measurements. I made some informal measurements and determined that the instruments I have are not sufficient to make accurate measurements.

I have no doubt that the noise reduction is real and very worthwhile, but no, I have not preformed any valid noise measurements. I made some informal measurements and determined that the instruments I have are not sufficient to make accurate measurements.

That's the problem. iPhone sound meters are almost as good as free-standing ones, but even those are wanting. Then there's the measurement conditions. I had the sound meter on this morning for my commute to my office but the traffic was so heavy that I averaged about 15mph for the trip, which will result in comparatively low readings. So I can't use them.

Apologies in advance if this was already covered somewhere in the this thread that I missed. This morning I took my car in to have a nail removed from the rear driver side tire. I'm on non-staggered 21" Continentals that came from the factory (my car was delivered in early July). When we took the tire off the rim, we discovered that it was lined with a white foam that appeared to be for sound deadening. The shop had never seen it, and I was certainly caught by surprise as I didn't ask nor was I told that my tires had sound deadening. Any ideas if Tesla has begun experimenting?
IMG_5972.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG

Apologies in advance if this was already covered somewhere in the this thread that I missed. This morning I took my car in to have a nail removed from the rear driver side tire. I'm on non-staggered 21" Continentals that came from the factory (my car was delivered in early July). When we took the tire off the rim, we discovered that it was lined with a white foam that appeared to be for sound deadening. The shop had never seen it, and I was certainly caught by surprise as I didn't ask nor was I told that my tires had sound deadening. Any ideas if Tesla has begun experimenting?

I doubt Tesla is adding it. Does the sidewall say anything?