TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ucmndd, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Member

#101 Ken7, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Nice job! You may need another shot at the top.

May be a dumb question, but is there even a need for the car’s screen to be on?

2. Blue X90

Blue X90 Member

No, the screen doesn't need to be on.

Under bright light or the UV light, I can see the outline of adhesive but during normal driving, I don't notice it unlike the yellow which was very noticible.

• Like x 1
  3. Corsair

Corsair Member

@Blue X90 , great write up. I am going to try your solution. After I'm done, will reassemble the unit and give it to my wife as she spends a lot of time doing her nails (win-win scenario)

4. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

Trying out the method from @Blue X90 and it’s working out slowly but surely! As mentioned in this thread it looks like the key is getting the light as close as possible to the screen which is easier with Blue X90s method (vs rigging up a cardboard box with the other UC light).

BEA54B84-39C3-4A9B-9A01-F3D35126D1B8.jpeg

• Like x 1
  5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Glad others are having success with this.

• Like x 1
  6. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

Thanks Ucmndd for the thread and idea!

7. N..8

N..8 Member

UCMNDD, this has been a great DIY for those of us that live a bit away from our SC and don't wish to loose the day or two of work to drive the cars to the SC. As people here already said the light has to be really close and for me the LEDs needed to be directly in front of the area I'm treating. My first time doing it I placed it just in the middle of the screen and the Yellowing faded (darkened) for the most part. Then I began to work the outer edge in sections. It only takes me about 5 mins to set it up and then I forget about it for the day.

• Like x 1
  8. xAgyex

xAgyex Member

How was your final result?

9. N..8

N..8 Member

I still have a few darker areas but a couple of more times of me moving the light around will put it like new. In the areas I was focused on from the beginning I see no yellowing or dark areas.

10. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

I'd recommend you bring it in to a service center (if you can) and see if they will fix it with their UV treatment before going for a replacement.

11. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

Here is my attempt. I removed the screen and put it in a box, had 2 lights on in for about 28 hours. No specific reason for time, it was just when I put it in and took it out. All the yellowing is gone. Ring remains when uv shines on it. Also I tried using the UV light on a non yellow screen and also see the uv glowing ring.... Compare_s.jpg

• Like x 1
  12. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

I've also seen a leaking and yellowing screen....

13. tyler2323

tyler2323 Banned

Nice thanks for the insight. I have yet to deal with this issue as most the Tesla’s I own or owned never had many miles before I sold them. But it’s been something I’ve kind of been waiting to occur with my P85D now that I actually use it and has 28k miles. I will def remember this for when the time comes.
    Thx

14. tyler2323

tyler2323 Banned

Very true, I can criticize a lot of things about Tesla’s and don’t hesitate too cause it’s informative for others who have never owned to get honest insight since so many owners won’t say anything negative like they owe it to Tesla. Which is the last thing any owners should think or feel if they really knew the shady things Tesla has done in the past, present and definitely moving forward. I always try to tell people who are new to owning how much better Tesla was years ago with their customer service. It was top notch and a step above anyone else and has drastically changed primarily due to less employees. The service has never been an employee issue too me but more of an upper management issue leaving employees to take the fault for something they can’t control. With all the positives definitely comes with a lot of negatives especially when it comes to trust. I don’t trust Tesla at all (the ones making the decisions, such as the updates they have done to negatively effect cars). But from my experience the employees on the floor are still some of the most respectful and generous people to deal with. At least at all the service centers I’ve been too.

15. Trebek1762

Trebek1762 Let's play jeopardy

207B7FAB-CAC0-49FB-B97A-5187187164D7.jpeg Slooooowly working for me.

• Like x 1
  16. swegman

swegman Active Member

Tesla did my screen earlier this week. They told me they had version 3 of the UV light treatment. They said version 1 took forever to fix the yellow border, so they developed version 2 that had a more powerful light source. However, they indicated that the UV light source would burn out after several treatments. The new, version 3 unit seems to be reliable and normally treats the screen in 2-1/2 hours, with an occasional need for a second treatment if the screen is really bad. Version 3 of the device is being manufactured and shipped to all the service centers now.

I asked whether the treatment is permanent and they replied that the fix is too new to know for sure, but that no screen treated to date has come back for a re-treatment. They also said that if a screen needs a re-treatment it would be at no cost as long as the car is under warranty. He did not say what would happen (ie, if you would have to pay for the treatment) if the car is no longer under warranty.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  17. BCCA

BCCA Member

Tesla told me they would perform the uv treatment as one time goodwill gesture. Hopefully, the treatment is permanent and I will never need to know if this is a one time thing or good as long as the car is under warranty.

18. mhk4274

mhk4274 Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. wildag

wildag Member

I’ve got my car baking right now. Based on the descriptions above, my box is likely too deep (didn’t see that info until after I started). I’m going to let it be for 12 hours or so, and see what happens.

Attached Files:

20. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

im not sure if it was overkill, I've fixed 2 screens with 2 lights for 24 hours about 6-8" away. Tried 1 screen for 12 hours and it did not fully fix, but didnt have another 12 hours.

• Informative x 1