Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do side camera's view on the screen work as well as side mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory side mirrors have a limited view of the adjacent lane. The side repeater cameras have a wider view, this is a big improvement. You can replace the factory mirrors with aftermarket convex mirrors with a wider view. I installed a pair of stick on convex mirrors for the Tesla Model Y, from Amazon, that provide a wider view. (This was before Tesla released the update that enabled viewing the side repeater camera view when the turn signal is activated.)

I think a camera view has the potential to be even better than a mirror, thanks to digital signal processing, and cameras being able to view a wider visible spectrum. However the central screen in Tesla does not feel natural for viewing this. I prefer the concept used in the "Honda e", with dedicated displays located close to where you'd naturally look for the side view.

Reactions: WADan and dino007
Was trying to figure this out but not wanting to take eye off the road long enough to compare the two views.
The camera shows more area, but here's how I use both.
  1. Have the mirrors set wide so there is no blind spot. (Google it, if needed)
  2. Prep for your turn by using the mirror.
  3. Activate turn signal view the camera footage as confirmation.
  4. Shoot the gap.

I think a camera view has the potential to be even better than a mirror, thanks to digital signal processing, and cameras being able to view a wider visible spectrum. However the central screen in Tesla does not feel natural for viewing this. I prefer the concept used in the "Honda e", with dedicated displays located close to where you'd naturally look for the side view.
US regs do not allow mirror cams. The protoype S and X both had mirror cams till the Feds were like, oh no you don't!

I don't like the mirrors on Model Y because they have so big "dead zones". I already had a couple of cases that I didn't collide to the car in the parallel line just because tesla safety feature turned the steering wheel away to avoid the collision.
Since then I always quickly check the side cameras view because they have a much bigger view angle and covering "dead zones"

Reactions: RidgeRunner
The cameras tend to be better than the mirrors. I did drive a 2022 recently though. Oddly the cameras seemed sharper, but more prone to headlight glare. The mirrors were more useful in that one. My 2021 has the flare from blinkers and is grainy, but has great contrast even with headlights at night

I don't like the mirrors on Model Y because they have so big "dead zones". I already had a couple of cases that I didn't collide to the car in the parallel line just because tesla safety feature turned the steering wheel away to avoid the collision.
Since then I always quickly check the side cameras view because they have a much bigger view angle and covering "dead zones"
Mirrors can be adjusted to prevent Blind Spots.

Last edited:
After a recent 1700 mile roadtrip, using the side cameras, it became so automatic that a drive in my 2019 Avalon Hybrid was a challenge. The limited view of the side mirror made me nervous.

While cruising, I glance at ALL my mirrors every few hundred yards. I always know what's behind me, if they're closing rapidly, out of control semi, etc., so I can get out of their way. Before any lane change, I use the side camera. Works for me.

YMMV.

This exercise of looking straight ahead, then down at the center console, then back up again, then turn slowly to the next lane while looking in that direction and back at the center console sounds dangerous to me.

Maybe I am just used to doing it the old fashioned way.

• Funny
Reactions: Pianewman
This exercise of looking straight ahead, then down at the center console, then back up again, then turn slowly to the next lane while looking in that direction and back at the center console sounds dangerous to me.

Maybe I am just used to doing it the old fashioned way.
That's the thing, there's very little down in the 3/Y. With the blind spot camera at the top, really easy to see with very little head movement. Its much less distracting than turning 90 degrees to check a blind spot with poorly placed mirrors. And lets be honest, a lot of the people who don't see the benefit still see their own car in those side mirrors. 🤣