Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me guess - 19"?

I have the 20" tires and I'm down to 5.5/32" from the original 9/32" at 16,500 miles in 99.999% Chill Mode, which, by the way, is still slightly faster than mashing the accelerator pedal to the floor in a 1999 Buick Regal with a 3.8L V6 engine that I owned. The sense of acceleration in an EV can be deceiving because there's so little noise and vibration compared to an ICEV.

At my current rate, I expect to be down to 2/32" (the minimum legal tread depth here in Texas) at 33,000 miles. That's not horrible, but it's certainly not great and somewhat disappointing.

I originally ordered the 19" wheels because they're $2,000 cheaper to buy initially, replacement tires are cheaper, and they offered a smooth ride. Ultimately, I was not happy with the idea of owning a vehicle with plastic wheel covers, so I changed my order to the 20" wheels and I am very glad I did.
Yep. 19”.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
Press right button a say " Show driving mode". The screen appears and you can simply touch to change. I won't change by verbal command.
I'm still amazed by how the car responds to common phrases. I sometimes overthink how to construct a sentence so the car will understand (because my past cars required it) but with the Tesla you can often just plainly ask for what you want and you'll get it.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I use Chill during my normal work week, and Sport (Acceleration Boost on MY LR) on the weekends. The approach here is two pronged, and I've been using it since I bought my first Model 3, 5 years ago.:
  • A) Gives feeling of "new car" on those off days. I drive extraordinarily light footed, 95% of the time. So when I switch modes, the initial throttle response is really felt.
  • B) Compromise on for sake of better efficiency and tire wear. Got over 55k on my original tires, with my first model 3, using this approach. Had probably enough tread for 5-10k miles.

Reactions: BitJam
If Chill Mode does not allow full acceleration then it is a safety risk. A small one, as situations in which this matters are rare, but an accident with chill mode as a contributing factor is conceivable.
Cannot see how it is a safety risk as a Tesla in chill mode is still faster than the vast majority of cars out there. I still remember the first week when we got out Y, floored it merging into traffic but came up so fast on the car in front of me I had to jerk the wheel left to avoid a collision. I would argue sport mode is less safe than chill simply due to it's unusually quick acceleration catching people off guard who are not used to pressing the pedal generously.

Now that I am very accustomed to the acceleration of a Tesla, this is no longer an issue. Y is in sport with the acceleration boost and the S is in Ludicrous. Just need learn to use the throttle appropriately. Chill is a learning mode in the beginning and for people that cannot control their urges. ;)

Just came back from a 1500 mile trip for soccer tournaments in NJ and Vermont. A lot of driving through some winding roads and highway both on our MYP.

We have the camper mattress and often just kept the back seats folded and available for anyone to lie down. The teens (17 and 14) both requested chill as the torque in sport was too much for them over long distances. I agree as chill has ample enough power and was inherently smoother with holding speeds as well as reducing torque significantly.

Used chill mode on this trip 99% of the time except for overtaking on those moments we had a slow van or truck in front.

Have any of you actually experienced what it’s like for rear passengers while in sport and all that EV torque? Diff world and at time quite nauseating. In this scenario, chill made the most sense and kept the ride smooth.

Regular city driving at home, we use both depending on if it’s a rush situation or casual.

Reactions: BitJam
Have any of you actually experienced what it’s like for rear passengers while in sport and all that EV torque? Diff world and at time quite nauseating. In this scenario, chill made the most sense and kept the ride smooth.
That's simply because you are not very good at feathering the throttle. Not saying this is uncommon otherwise they would not have modes to select from. ;) Once this is mastered, you will come to a very smooth controlled stop or slow down smoothly in sport mode no matter if you are on city streets or highways. You will also be able to accelerate as if you were in chill or even smoother depending on your foot control. After 4 1/2 years of driving, my wife is still not able to control this very well (probably never will) and the ride can become rather unsettled like you describe.

Reactions: Skavatar
That's simply because you are not very good at feathering the throttle. Not saying this is uncommon otherwise they would not have modes to select from. ;) Once this is mastered, you will come to a very smooth controlled stop or slow down smoothly in sport mode no matter if you are on city streets or highways. You will also be able to accelerate as if you were in chill or even smoother depending on your foot control. After 4 1/2 years of driving, my wife is still not able to control this very well (probably never will) and the ride can become rather unsettled like you describe.
lol. I’m actually quite good at feathering tbh but in sport, even the slightest shift of the foot causes more torque than necessary.

It’s interesting as I’ve tired accelerating from 0-60kph in chill at a relaxed pace and mirroring the same pace in Sport. Result? The torque ‘feeling’ in sport even under similar acceleration was more. I cannot qualify it but it felt like there was more torque pull even when lightly throttling sport mode vs chill mode.

Anyway, feathering for 1500 miles is not my idea of fun nor relaxing. Chill allowed me to not have to think about it while sipping my coffee, reaching for snacks and singing tunes with the kids. 😉 slight variations in foot pressure did nothing to upset the smooth ride.

Here’s another interesting note on the trip…while using traffic aware cruise. (Not AP). Coming up to a slower moving vehicle, the car will decelerate to match and keep distance. Normal as it should. After shifting lanes manually to overtake a slower vehicle, the Y will start to re accelerate to your preset speed ..also as it should. Noted: in Sport, the re-acceleration would be quicker and with more torque. In chill, resuming preset speed was …well…more in line with the smooth chill mode. I did not know this until going on a long trip.

At home? Solo or one kid in front passenger side? Sport all the way!

Last edited:
If Chill Mode does not allow full acceleration then it is a safety risk. A small one, as situations in which this matters are rare, but an accident with chill mode as a contributing factor is conceivable.
I don't think I've ever been unsafe in cars that get to 60mph in > 3.5 seconds. Never even in a situation where 5 seconds worth of 0-60 power couldn't unstick a sticky situation. In fact not even in my first car, an achingly slow 8.0 sec 0-60.

The greater risk, I have to think, would come from a driver who's quite familiar with Sport mode, switching to Chill, then misjudging the amount of throttle necessary to escape a situation. That I could envision happening. I can't imagine Chill mode's acceleration not being adequate. If so, most cars would be vulnerable.

Oh I'm sure you can accelerate less with just your foot, but it's not as efficient. The data doesn't lie, but yeah ok, whatever.
This is absolutely not true. You can easily be less efficient in chill mode than in sport/normal by accelerating faster. The only time chill is more efficient is if it’s saving energy keeping the battery cooler or if you can not modulate the throttle properly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist
Chill Mode requires more force against the accelerator pedal to achieve the same power output from the electric motors which causes the driver to convert more chemical energy to kinetic energy which also creates additional heat which puts an additional load on the vehicle's air conditioning system. It is therefore more efficient to not use Chill Mode when cabin cooling is desired...unless not using Chill Mode results in an increase in adrenaline that creates even more heat. 🤓

Just came back from a 1500 mile trip for soccer tournaments in NJ and Vermont. A lot of driving through some winding roads and highway both on our MYP.

We have the camper mattress and often just kept the back seats folded and available for anyone to lie down. The teens (17 and 14) both requested chill as the torque in sport was too much for them over long distances. I agree as chill has ample enough power and was inherently smoother with holding speeds as well as reducing torque significantly.

Used chill mode on this trip 99% of the time except for overtaking on those moments we had a slow van or truck in front.

Regular city driving at home, we use both depending on if it’s a rush situation or casual.

You can be in sport mode and use the same amount of torque that you would use in chill. Just press the accelerator less.