Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Your Brakes Emit a Cheap Sounding Squeak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did several heavy brakes on my new P100D, and it went away. I'm only at 850mi. I think about 5 or 6 times, got up to 80, braked fairly heavy to 0 with regen on low. Stopped the low-speed squeak ever since.

Of course, just like many other cars, I get some temporary squeaking after they get wet due to rust that forms. If I do a couple of moderate brakes, it knocks the rust off and goes away pretty quickly.

I did several heavy brakes on my new P100D, and it went away. I'm only at 850mi. I think about 5 or 6 times, got up to 80, braked fairly heavy to 0 with regen on low. Stopped the low-speed squeak ever since.

Of course, just like many other cars, I get some temporary squeaking after they get wet due to rust that forms. If I do a couple of moderate brakes, it knocks the rust off and goes away pretty quickly.

Denver SC suggested the same.

As stated. brake pads in NA tend to be softer for less noise and more brake dust while German (European) pads were harder and they squealed. Too solve this shims were placed behind the pads to raise the squeal frequency beyond human hearing frequencies.

I actually prefer the harder pads and can live with any noises generated. It's normal for harder brake pad materials, in my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: TexLaw and Ormond
There have been some interesting discussions on this topic in older threads. Europeans from what I recall are very accustomed to brake squeal and don't complain, because it's actually better to get that energy out as sonic resonance versus the alternatives.

My MS occasionally squeals but with regenerative braking (the new reduced cold climate regen level is actually quite decent) doing most of the slowing, it just don't bother me one bit.

Nope. They are still the same pieces as normal brakes. Bed them in, and if it still does it, they can be treated with anti-squeal. Ever since banning asbestos in the pads they have been noisier across all makes/models if not properly bedded in.