Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Your Brakes Emit a Cheap Sounding Squeak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to check back in, when I received my Model S in December of last year, I was really, really bothered by squeaking brakes. It was *loud* and made me cringe. It was especially bad when I was trying to do a 3-point turn or maneuver into a parking space. I was thinking that it wasn't really good advertising for Tesla since people on the sidewalk would hear it and possibly think the car wasn't well made.

I took it to the Tesla Store and they told me to 'burnish' the brakes by stepping on the brakes really hard when driving. I did that for awhile, but they were still squeaking. So then they tried to burnish the brakes and decided that there was some sort of fault with my rotors. They said they'd replace the rotors and pads with new ones as soon as they arrived. Meanwhile, I was out of the country for the following 2 weeks, so we set up a time for me to come in a couple of weeks later. That got pushed back a couple of more weeks because I got sick upon returning home. So by the time I was taking the car in to have the rotors replaced, I had put an additional 1000 miles on it. And I noticed on the drive to the Tesla Store that the brakes were really, really quiet. Once I got to Tesla, I started testing it, stepping on the brakes while turning the steering wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left as you might do in a 3-point turn or for parallel parking. Not a sound. Totally quiet. So I cancelled the appointment and drove home somewhat embarrassed.

I think the moral of the story is that a little patience goes a long way. Keep driving, and I'll bet your brakes will quiet down.

I was in a brand new P100DL over the weekend... I was getting brake squeak like this for the first day... The second day, however, it went away.

I found that after doing about 10 runs from 0-85-0 in a parking lot, the brakes stopped squeaking... They also started stinking and smoking, but stopping power was greatly improved afterwards. Sometimes being hard on the brakes is a good thing, as this isn't the first car I've gotten brakes that hot on and then experienced improved stopping afterwards. New rotors and pads have to be broken in, and braking from 7MPH down to 0MPH will never, ever, ever TRULY break the brakes in.

2500 miles in and my brakes are still squeaky when I apply light pressure from 7 mph to 0.

Everything I've read says it's normal. I take it as a point of pride that they're still squeaky. It means they're not being worn very fast. I have tried a couple of moderately hard stops and that seems to get rid of the squeaks for a day or so. However, they always return. Especially after it's been raining, or after a car wash.

• Funny
Reactions: Obsoletion
2500 miles in and my brakes are still squeaky when I apply light pressure from 7 mph to 0.

Everything I've read says it's normal. I take it as a point of pride that they're still squeaky. It means they're not being worn very fast. I have tried a couple of moderately hard stops and that seems to get rid of the squeaks for a day or so. However, they always return. Especially after it's been raining, or after a car wash.

For the sake of clarity, I should probably add that my brakes do still squeak after it rains.

I was getting squeeking and found that it was the parking brakes fault. After using the parking brake to slow the car down a few times it went away. To use the parking brake, press and hold the "P" on the shift lever while driving.

Whenever either of my cars have had squeaky brakes (and they both have), I have just performed a few hard braking events and it has stopped. It's infrequent and that seems to fix them for a long period of time. So maybe I'm just not having the same issue as some of the other posters here.

Glad I found this thread, just picked up my new P100DL and the brakes squeak. It is raining out today as well. Once back from detailer I will bed the brakes in and see if that helps, otherwise I will just be patient for a few thousand miles and see how it goes.

It will come back if you don't get on your brakes hard now and again. So just waiting for it to go away and hoping it won't come back won't help... you'll need to stomp on them now and again to permanently banish the squeal.