Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 2019.5.15 update have 5% power boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you people got the update!!! I used to get updates fast but I'm stuck on 2018.50.6 as of late. Its been around 48-50 days. I'm excited for the update. I have wifi on at all times, I've tried keeping the car awake, now I just let it sleep :( It will come. *SIGH*

I bought to AP on Wednesday. Got upgraded to 2019.5.15 that evening. SOC went up with the upgrade without charging. Currently at 290 miles/91%. I need to tap it down a smidgen to get to ~ 90% SOC. While 5% power is a nice increase, I really have no way to validate that came with the upgraded, but as the improved efficiency and power are related, I'd assume the 5% power increase was part to the upgrade.

There is a video on youtube of a model 3 dyno test indicating 0-60 times are identical comparing SOC (state of charge) between 90-100%.

My "personal" suggestion to occasionally charge to 100% was more for long term battery health than 0-60 performance.
It "appears" it does some heavy duty load balancing when you charge to 100%.
There is certainly no proof that it helps longevity, but I plan occasionally do 100% (and I know others feel the same).

That said, the first time I decided to show my wife what a Performance Launch was like. It just so happened to be immediately after my first 100% SuperCharge and it was the most insane kick in the butt launch I ever felt the car do. I've never repeated it because I rarely 100% charge. I realize butt dyno's are very inaccurate. But wow. And I charge my car regularly to 90%.

But your data point is interesting. Any mention of "Rear" bias on the Dyno testing?

How noticeable would 5% be anyway? If someone wasn't expecting this power update and got it in their car after, would they notice?
Unless you have a vbox or you measure very accurately your acceleration runs, you really won't notice it. The 5% translates to .1 sec in a 0-60 mph run. If you have a nearby track and you have the skill, see what the top speed is. The P3D is suppose go 162 mph instead of 155 mph. Based on other posts, update 2019.8.2 states in the update the 5% boost.