Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does steering while on Autosteer do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it today on my regular straight road, and could not get the car to move. I could get it to sway side to side a bit, but it seemed like the AP2 was confident, and didn't want me messing with it.

I was almost sure I'd moved it 6" going around curves, but I've got to try it again now.

I guess I'm experiencing what @chillaban and @kavyboy mentioned. There seems to be a confidence factor. If I'm on a wide road, AP2 gives me a little wiggle room within the lane to nudge the car one way or another but won't move an inch on narrow roads, or when approaching the lines on a wide road. I guess that makes sense. The car won't let you cross the lines but gives some leeway within the lines.

I know Hank and Max are referring to AP1 - but it seems AP2 won't let you nudge if it thinks you're crossing a lane marker. Again, makes that makes sense and is probably the way I'd program it.

@HankLloydRight I tried it again today on my drive home on an interstate, and it wouldn't let me move to the side at all. From the video (and that video was just one example, it was EASILY replicated), you know that I've done it before.

Something changed between last October and now for AP1 (I haven't really been using the force car over thing, obviously).

So I am in agreement with you now, my AP1 wont let me move the car either now.

@HankLloydRight I tried it again today on my drive home on an interstate, and it wouldn't let me move to the side at all. From the video (and that video was just one example, it was EASILY replicated), you know that I've done it before.

Something changed between last October and now for AP1 (I haven't really been using the force car over thing, obviously).

So I am in agreement with you now, my AP1 wont let me move the car either now.

Thanks for posting. At least I know I'm not crazy. If AP1 really had this feature to nudge the lane position, that's a really important feature. I don't know why they would remove it. It makes Autosteer much less useful to me as I constantly have to disengage/re-engage AP everytime it tries to pass a car to close to the right, or when going around large curves. If it weren't for this change, I think I could leave AP on for 90% of highway driving... now, not so much. :)

Time to write another letter to [email protected] :/

I tried it again tonight and it really doesn't like any variation from what IT wants to do. Even nudging it a little bit disengages AP. It almost seems like it's getting more touchy the more I test it. Even on very slight curves, if I hold the wheel against the torque of the AP, it disengages.

AP1. I can nudge a little bit, few inches like some others have said. Can almost feel the resistance point where I know it will disengage. But I swear when I try to nudge away from a center pillar that's jutting out it tries to take me straight into it!

Btw, sorry little off topic, but what have been your experiences with motorcycles that are splitting lanes? Normally I would be manually driving left bias in the carpool lane to avoid motorcycles coming on the right, but of course autosteer doesn't account for things like that. I've realized that on AP I usually find myself not checking the rear quite as much because I'm so focused on not letting the car kill me, so I've had a few really close motorcycles zip right by me that I didn't notice was coming up on my rear. I usually end up disengaging by turning the wheel to the other side to move over in those situations and its annoying.

I get really annoyed by motorcycles splitting lanes because one time a long time ago a motorcycle cop actually hit my quarter panel on accident while doing it and just zoomed off. Hit and run!

Thanks for posting. At least I know I'm not crazy. If AP1 really had this feature to nudge the lane position, that's a really important feature. I don't know why they would remove it. It makes Autosteer much less useful to me as I constantly have to disengage/re-engage AP everytime it tries to pass a car to close to the right, or when going around large curves. If it weren't for this change, I think I could leave AP on for 90% of highway driving... now, not so much. :)

We bought our AP1 car in Phoenix, drove it to Tulsa, and then up to the northwest. About 3500 miles total and this is exactly my experience. Sure would like to be able to nudge it over! Went through one construction zone where the barrels where over the line and AP1 didn't even see them. It just about, excuse me, barreled into them.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Yep, just did a 400 mile trip, and I can't nudge it now without disengaging. Now that I can't, I realize that I did that all the time. On this trip, I was constantly disengaging. For the first time in the two years since I have had my Tesla, I experienced something that used to be a serious problem for me: sleepiness. With the old autopilot, I could let it handle the mechanics of the drive, the little stuff, and supervise with guidance as needed. Now I am back to micromanaging all but the easiest stretches of highway, and it is very tiring.
I used to wonder why everyone was not in love with AP as much as I was, but if this was their first experience, I now understand. I felt like I was almost more trouble than it was worth. So sad.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yep, just did a 400 mile trip, and I can't nudge it now without disengaging. Now that I can't, I realize that I did that all the time. On this trip, I was constantly disengaging. For the first time in the two years since I have had my Tesla, I experienced something that used to be a serious problem for me: sleepiness. With the old autopilot, I could let it handle the mechanics of the drive, the little stuff, and supervise with guidance as needed. Now I am back to micromanaging all but the easiest stretches of highway, and it is very tiring.
I used to wonder why everyone was not in love with AP as much as I was, but if this was their first experience, I now understand. I felt like I was almost more trouble than it was worth. So sad.

Yup. That's exactly how I feel. If I could nudge it just a tiny bit when passing, yet stay engaged, it would make AP 1000x more useful. As it is now, it's barely worth it unless there's essentially zero other traffic on the highway. This is my only experience with AP so if have to give it one big FAIL. It's just not what I expected the talent at Tesla to produce. :(