Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Your Tesla Make You A More Aggressive Driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me driving a Tesla is so relaxing and effortless. Traveling anywhere from +/- 4 MPH from the speed limits with smooth acceleration makes driving much more enjoyable. Of course, knowing that I can goose it quickly to pass another vehicle safely or to climb the Grapevine in the #1 lane to pass a bunch of trucks and RVs is icing on the cake.

And then, once in a blue moon some clown roars up alongside or tailgates me for no apparent reason, so I just punch it and leave him in the dust.

I am much more cautious in residential neighborhoods for this reason. I can't count the number of times I've startled pedestrians walking on the right side of the road or that animals darted right in front of me because they didn't hear me coming.

There's a lot of tire noise at 25 mph. I have never "startled" anyone unless they are zoned out, usually walking in the middle of the road talking to someone. I don't drive with my left foot on the brake, because I intend to be aware of kids, animals, zoned out people staggering around.

The car is no quieter than any decent ICE running at 25. Then there are the Rice Rockets and Muscle Cars whose drivers are convinced that Noise = Power. I followed a black Mustang on the freeway (I-80) for about 20 minutes, and all it was was Vrooooom --- blam blam blam --- vrooooom --- for 20 minutes stop and go traffic. Sounded like no muffler. If that's what people need so they hear a car coming, that's sad.

The safety of the car plays no part in the decisions I make with it. My mind simply can't perceive the additional safety to have an impact.What does happen is the TACC makes me less agreessive and downright too lazy to bother getting angry.The instant torque of the car does play a role in what I'd call less than safe driving in certain situations. If a traffic Light is about to change to yellow just slam the throttle. Need to get in the lane over? Just slam the throttle and pass tons of people to get to it.The power of it makes people do stupid things like power always has.

I drive more aggressively in some ways - if I am at a stoplight in my P85D in the curb lane and I have to quickly accelerate to pass into the left lane I know that the there is no chance that the car beside me can keep up. I also probably give test drives about every week where I let people experience the "Insane Launch" (soon to be upgraded to Ludicrous). Or the kids demand the launch:smile:

This is almost exactly how I am. I enjoy driving more safely and smoothly most of the time. In fact, slow graceful driving is lovely in my MS. But having the capability to make use of a tiny or closing window between cars *instantaeously* and without (those other cars) being able to respond is AWESOME. So I think it's a mixed bag - I'm safer most of the time, more aggresive a bit of the time. That said, I think that the capabilitiies of the machine make my aggresiveness more safe ... if that makes sense.

I am much more cautious in residential neighborhoods for this reason. I can't count the number of times I've startled pedestrians walking on the right side of the road or that animals darted right in front of me because they didn't hear me coming.

It certainly is prudent to be cautious but I doubt you are startling anyone or anything. Sorry.
It doesn't happen to me.
Why can you not count the number of times?
~L

I think in the beginning I used to accelerate harder and use the power more frequent. Definitely higher risk than in my previous cars. After a year I just got used to it and I drive just normal. Most of the time I try to conserve energy. Not that I have to to make it home, it's just something I like doing. Driving efficiently is fun to me. I actually notice that I drive a little faster when I have other people with me thinking, they would get bored with my slower driving style.

On long road trips I drive safer. The power makes it so much easier and safer to pass others. I just had to drive 2k miles in an ICE again and the lack of power and constantly having to make compromises because of how the ICE car reacts and needs extra attention is not only annoying but I felt less safe. In my Model S I can just focus on driving. Whatever happens the Model S can slow down faster, take turns better, accelerate faster, stay on the road better. It's just a safer car for many reasons.

I know in my own case (with a LEAF), I found the car to be so quiet that I have to drive with one eye glued to the speedometer, because I have less speed cues than with ICE cars; ..... Is this a cautionary note with EVs in general?
I agree completely. However, when I got the Leaf four years ago, I immediately took another path. I use the cruise control almost exclusively, even in town at 35 mph. I find that most people speed, and setting the cruise control at the speed limit (or 2 mph over) is sufficient. I almost never need to slow or turn off the CC. People who want to speed, go around. I have also observed another behavior, that many people will "sit" behind me, even if the left lane is clear. However, if I move to the left lane, they then speed up and pass on the right. Weird? I don't know, maybe I'm a closet psychologist.

I'm only 2 months into owning a P85D. I definitely did a lot of max launches and still do from time to time, but only when I'm in the front. I still accelerate faster than my previous vehicle could pull off. But I don't drive faster, just accelerate quicker. I don't think I drive less safely, but this isn't my first high-performance automobile.

In a big way I think I'm less aggressive. It isn't generally as much fun to race or challenge somebody when you know they never have a chance and on your end no skill is required.

I do believe in the Pelzman Effect, though. I used to drive around town in New Hampshire without a seatbelt and certainly drove much more carefully. Once upon a time I drove my old pickup truck with the dash removed and all I could think about was being impaled my metal in an accident and drove more carefully. But in my MS I don't feel that the safety features are that noticeable as of yet so don't influence my driving habits.

More aggressive than my Leaf or Volt. On the Volt I was always trying to get the most EV range out of it.

Less aggressive than the Saab 9-3 Aero convertible (high-output turbo) that preceded the Volt.

It also helps that the Tesla Mo
del S has a grill shape (nosecone shape) and daytime running lights that pretty much say "get the f#$k out of my way" to the car in front of you, when that driver sees you in their rear view mirror. I could be going 85 and flashing my high beams in the Leaf, and the cars in front of me still wouldn't move to the right. ;)

Last edited:
It certainly is prudent to be cautious but I doubt you are startling anyone or anything. Sorry.
It doesn't happen to me.
Why can you not count the number of times?
~L

I've had my next-door neighbor tell me I scared them coming up behind them when they were walking their dog. Just last week, I was pulling into a parking space at a restaurant and had to pass fairly close to a soldier who literally leapt into the grass when he saw my car from the corner of his eye. His buddies who didn't have their back to me were still laughing at him when I got out of the car and we did the whole "what kind of car is that" thing. I've seen people demonstrate startled expressions dozens of times. I'm surprised this isn't a universal experience. My neighborhood does have delicious perfect new blacktop since this spring, so tire noise is quite low.

The car gives me the ability to do safe overtakings where my old car would be unsafe. And I do appreciate the acceleration every now and then :)
But I believe other traffic might feel that I`m more aggressive than I am, because quick launches require a bit of an effort in an ICE. In the Model S I just touch the pedal sligtly, and the car still accelerates instantly.
Not sure if my explanation is easy to understand, but the bottom line is that the instant torque makes the car quick, but this is how driving is now. You can react quicker than with an ICE car, which other drivers might fint "more aggressive". But I wouldn`t call it agressive, just more modern :)

So far, there is a small majority of responders who report that they drive either more carefully with their MS, or at least no more aggressively than with other vehicles. This be might be true, but it is hard to know for sure because self-reported data like this is unreliable due to the difficulty of a person being able to evaluate their own performance objectively. One thing I'm not sure of regarding the Peltzman Effect is whether this is a conscious decision or something we do subconsciously. If it is largely subconscious, a person would not be aware of it.

I have so far seen a couple of mitigating factors:

- People realize how expensive (and nice) their MS is, and want to take good care of it, and not destroy it.
- Some MS drivers are highly energy-conscious and would like to drive conservatively (and would probably do this in any car).

There may also be a "novelty" effect, where new MS drivers make a lot of use of heavy acceleration & hard cornering, etc., when they first own the car, but over time they revert to their normal driving style (whatever that is).

I can say that here in Alabama, a speeding citation was issued to a MS driver within a month or so of when the car first became available. The State Trooper involved was puzzled to find that "Tesla" did not appear on the drop-down list of vehicle makes to pick from on the electronic citation program.

I can say that here in Alabama, a speeding citation was issued to a MS driver within a month or so of when the car first became available. The State Trooper involved was puzzled to find that "Tesla" did not appear on the drop-down list of vehicle makes to pick from on the electronic citation program.

When I got my Volt 3 years ago, I figured if I got pulled over, I would just say to the police officer "the car's electric - you know, it's just a big golf cart. There's NO WAY I could have been going THAT fast."

Within about a year, the Tesla Model S ruined that potential ruse.

I drive safer with a Tesla, and in almost all cases, I mean slower. The TACC is such a pleasure to use compared to my old MB with standard cruise control. I am happy to set it for speed limit +10mph (not exactly granny pace either) and just chill out for the whole ride.

It's also true that I have no interest in damaging my car so I also drive safer and more courteously. This is especially the case in San Francisco where bikers and pedestrians are free to ding your car if they are angered by you, then walk away without consequence (legally this is not true, but good luck enforcing).

- K

The car gives me the ability to do safe overtakings where my old car would be unsafe. And I do appreciate the acceleration every now and then :)
But I believe other traffic might feel that I`m more aggressive than I am, because quick launches require a bit of an effort in an ICE. In the Model S I just touch the pedal sligtly, and the car still accelerates instantly.
Not sure if my explanation is easy to understand, but the bottom line is that the instant torque makes the car quick, but this is how driving is now. You can react quicker than with an ICE car, which other drivers might fint "more aggressive". But I wouldn`t call it agressive, just more modern :)

Yes. Not aggressive. We're just able to do now what we always wanted to do before, but the weak, noisy ICE couldn't do it. I pulled out behind a car the other day and it took him a mile to get up to speed. Just normal acceleration for him. Driving an ICE puts you in that mode. When I leave a green light, I am often at the next block before the second car in line gets through the intersection. Their brains are turned off. They are zoned out. Their car doesn't move, so no need to be alert.

So I would say that I drive more alert now, more alive. I watch the faces of drivers, and the angle of their wheels. I look for movement at the side of the road or on intersecting streets. I scan the road a hundred yards away, because I will be there in about 5 seconds. When I pass someone, they seem to wake up and punch up the speed a bit, but soon go back to sleep. ICE cars do that to you. Even BMWs. The aggressive drivers in Hondas are worse than the BMWs. Tesla's immense power and minute control are entirely different that any thing else out there.

I recall reading somewhere that when ABS and Air Bags started to become common, people did start driving more aggressively in the belief that these systems could "save them" if they got into trouble.

Like many others who have posted, I am very conscious of how much the car cost me, and maybe more importantly, how my insurance would be impacted if I were to get in an accident.

I do kinda worry about what the impact (if you'll pardon the pun) is of handing a car with the Tesla's capability, especially with Insane/Ludicrous Mode, to a "less skilled" driver is going to be over time.

Yes. Not aggressive. We're just able to do now what we always wanted to do before, but the weak, noisy ICE couldn't do it. I pulled out behind a car the other day and it took him a mile to get up to speed. Just normal acceleration for him. Driving an ICE puts you in that mode. When I leave a green light, I am often at the next block before the second car in line gets through the intersection. Their brains are turned off. They are zoned out. Their car doesn't move, so no need to be alert.

So I would say that I drive more alert now, more alive. I watch the faces of drivers, and the angle of their wheels. I look for movement at the side of the road or on intersecting streets. I scan the road a hundred yards away, because I will be there in about 5 seconds. When I pass someone, they seem to wake up and punch up the speed a bit, but soon go back to sleep. ICE cars do that to you. Even BMWs. The aggressive drivers in Hondas are worse than the BMWs. Tesla's immense power and minute control are entirely different that any thing else out there.
Completely concur with roblab. The mere mortal ICE cars may find my rapid accelerations aggressive, that really is just a conditioned perception. From my perspective I am being alert and de-conflicting my car from others quickly. Of course I have not yet had to explain this perspective to a policeman. :wink:

I drive more defensively. Usually not going more than 10 over the speed limit. When at a stoplight, I will accelerate quickly to the speed limit, and when the other cars finally catch up to me, I'll be in the slow lane with them passing me (they drive 20+ over the speed limit). I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere since I enjoy driving my car so much.
In parking lots, I am constantly scanning for pedestrians and I expect them to not know I am there and walk right in front of me.

I've always driven really fast, but in general my average speed is probably slower now just due to me making lots of 200+ mile trips (without charging) and that prevent's me from doing my usual 100mph. so by going slower, I must be driving partially less aggressively. (then again, my average "launch" speed is now significantly higher than ever before...)