Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Tesla Model Y Performance after 2000km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to the Model Y from an Audi SQ5 and agree with most of your comments. I've only got about 10 days of ownership and 700 km on the odometer so far...

I mostly enjoy driving and being in the Model Y - but I'm most critical of the reduced ride quality and increase in noise level (lots of tire noise and "thumps" on uneven roads) in comparison.

I mainly bought the Model Y because I could "get" one! Most of EVs I was interested in had VERY long wait times... But I'm definitely enjoying it and "a change is as good as a rest"!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but price-wise speaking, aren't BMW electric SUVs in a different (higher) segment – like a good $20k+ difference? Which is why it makes sense for most people choosing Model Y to feel very okay compromising on some of the build quality type things? Basically I'm not sure if this is apples to apples comparison 🤷‍♂️
This^

I not sure what the price difference in Belgium is like but in the US, an iX with a few upgrades puts you at 95k or more (not factoring wait time, fees and dealer mark up)

I don’t need a 16 point presentation to tell me that spending 85%+ more money will get me a nicer feel, build quality and some better features.

Just glad someone out here is doing the Lords work to warn people…

Last edited:
I just got a MYLR (with AB) after 12 years driving S-Class Mercedes (last one was AMG S63). The experiences are totally different - the Mercedes’ were solid, superb long range cruisers … but weren’t enjoyable to drive around town. I downsized because I am doing a lot less miles these days and no commute and was excited for a change to something smaller and more agile. Going this route meant I had to be realistic about what I was giving up (the list is long - build quality, interior comfort, fit and finish, 360 degree camera, soft door closers, massage seats, superb stereo system, seat coolers and more) but I also knew what I was gaining (one pedal driving, instant torque, no more gas stations, no more oil changes, fewer brake jobs, better app, smaller car but with much more storage, more nimble around town, FUN).

A big car change should come with appropriate expectations so there are fewer nasty surprises.

I will probably go for the X type. Going to test drive the iX3 and iX. First iX, not a big fan of the look. So if the iX3 is as nice as the standard iX, I’ll go with that one. Not going to spend +90k on a car.

Thanks for all the details, OP. I agree with most of your assessments, but I have different weightings and so come to a different conclusion. That's OK, there never will be any one car that is right for everyone.

If you remember and are up to it, it would be interesting if you come back to this thread after 2km in your new car and give a similar writeup for that one.

Many facts mentioned here are correct, but I don't agree with all of them
Thus, you shouldn't have bought Tesla
You should have purchased BMW instead.
Correct. I always valued the supercharger network and the infotainment too much, while I realize now that I barely use them or in case of the infotainment to the full potential. And also... I really like the looks of the YP in Quicksilver, lets not forget. I mean really love it. I wash this thing every week. People talk to me about this car cause it stands out, the BMW is just another BMW which you see everywhere here in Europe. Ever since taking delivery of my Tesla I am searching on the internet for when the update for Vision only will be released. You cannot imagine the impact it has on my Tesla experience. Everyday I get confronted with them not being on the car. Yesterday evening I was backing up in my driveway and I could barely see my gate, driveway and other car. The camera was blurry and foggy. I could have just cancelled the order knowing about removal of USS, but I was looking forward to this car too much.

Reactions: advocate8
Correct me if I'm wrong, but price-wise speaking, aren't BMW electric SUVs in a different (higher) segment – like a good $20k+ difference? Which is why it makes sense for most people choosing Model Y to feel very okay compromising on some of the build quality type things? Basically I'm not sure if this is apples to apples comparison 🤷‍♂️
Actually no it's not, not where I live. I was always set to go for the Performance model. Looks, speed and acceleration. So this car when placing the order was 73k in Europe. After the december discounts I paid 70k. This is the most expensive Model Y option with paint and interior color (Cherry Red maybe bit more). If you add EAP, something comparable I had on all previous BMW, its a 76k car. The BMW iX1 is a 56-60k car with lots of options. The iX3 that I'm looking at is 75k almost full option and M package. The iX starts at 85k here with some discounts.
So if you are comparing the RWD MY yes its a 25k difference, but that was never on my mind. BMW iX3 is somewhat the same price of the MYP.

I just got a MYLR (with AB) after 12 years driving S-Class Mercedes (last one was AMG S63). The experiences are totally different - the Mercedes’ were solid, superb long range cruisers … but weren’t enjoyable to drive around town. I downsized because I am doing a lot less miles these days and no commute and was excited for a change to something smaller and more agile. Going this route meant I had to be realistic about what I was giving up (the list is long - build quality, interior comfort, fit and finish, 360 degree camera, soft door closers, massage seats, superb stereo system, seat coolers and more) but I also knew what I was gaining (one pedal driving, instant torque, no more gas stations, no more oil changes, fewer brake jobs, better app, smaller car but with much more storage, more nimble around town, FUN).

A big car change should come with appropriate expectations so there are fewer nasty surprises.
Wow, coming from AMG S63.. That must be like a really huge difference.
I mean that is top of the line Mercedes.
But yeah, if you have the right expectations I guess you are less frustrated with a change. When I had the Model 3 company car I also had a diesel BMW X5. Always took the Model 3 for short rides just because it was more fun to drive. But... When going electric almost all cars, even the 6,4s 0-70 in a BMW iX3 will be more fun than a diesel X5. So that is just electric cars having more torque and being a lot more fun to drive. So yeah, I find the MYP extremely fun to drive! I love how quick it is, how practical it is, how nice the sound and infotainment is,... BUT, I miss the stuff too much I had on my previous ice cars. That being number 1 parking assist, great cruise control, the relaxed and premium feel I had driving them, the ride quality, the amazing soft door closers,... It's really a personal thing. If I didn't come from a line of good BMW's I would never have this issue and the MYP would be just fine. If the Model Y was a company lease I would just drive it and love it and not worry about little things. But I paid for it personally and then you want the most value for money and want something that you can really feel good in every day. Every day now is a reminder of what the car is not and I never had that with any other car.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the details, OP. I agree with most of your assessments, but I have different weightings and so come to a different conclusion. That's OK, there never will be any one car that is right for everyone.

If you remember and are up to it, it would be interesting if you come back to this thread after 2km in your new car and give a similar writeup for that one.
Yeah I will def. do that. My wife tells me to hold on to the car and rent a BMW iX3 for a month to have a good sense of comparing the two. After 2-3 weeks I should know why I picked the MYP in the first place, or feel my concern and frustration is gone driving a BMW again.
Maybe I will do that.

This^

I not sure what the price difference in Belgium is like but in the US, an iX with a few upgrades puts you at 95k or more (not factoring wait time, fees and dealer mark up)

I don’t need a 16 point presentation to tell me that spending 85%+ more money will get me a nicer feel, build quality and some better features.

Just glad someone out here is doing the Lords work to warn people…
Yeah I just realized you only have the iX in the US, which is of course also in Belgium or Europe more expensive and comparable to the Model X.
But we have also the iX3 in Europe, which is the same price of the MYP (with M package and lots of options).

Reactions: advocate8
I had a BMW 5-series for 9 years and it was the best handling car I've ever owned. Excellent build quality and always a pleasure to drive. The car, however, became a "money-pit." Every time I turned around, something needed fixing. When the transmission started going out at 69,000 miles, I knew the party was over and I moved on. The 2022 MYLR we now have is a very different vehicle. I knew about the build quality issues before buying and decided that I was not going to let a bunch of little things spoil my enjoyment of the car. I was not a Tesla fan but the performance and technology have won me over.

In the US it is a big gap because there is only the XDrive50 and M60 trims available. Those get closer to MX territory.
In Canada we are offered the XDrive40 trim. Base price on that with Grey paint is ~$84K CAD. When I ordered MY in Mar 2022 the MYP was ~85K with grey paint. Of course after the Jan price drop the MYP is a better bargin at ~79K with grey paint. But they aren't too far off.

Of course the XDrive40 doesn't really compare to MYP for range or acceleration.

And in Europe as the OP mentions there is iX3 which is much more comparable to MY.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikarusk
I have to say, the quality thoughtfulness and tone of the responses here is pretty great. Wish the rest of the freaking internet was like this.
Or even the rest of the forum.
Interesting. I think I've noticed an overall chilling out of fanboyism here over the past 12 months.

I love my i4, but I drive my Y much more since all these storms have been ruining the road, and thus, the car. The Y is my beater, and the i4 is my glamour car.

Reactions: ikarusk
I have to say, the quality thoughtfulness and tone of the responses here is pretty great. Wish the rest of the freaking internet was like this.
Or even the rest of the forum.

At least here on TMC, the for a large portion of it anyway, the tone of the first post tends to set the tone for all the responses. The thread title itself is a bit of an attention grabbing type thread title, but the first post really isnt in that style. The OP also stated that english is not their mother tongue, which would can also explain the tone of the thread title.

Of course, there are a few posters here that feel like they need to refute anything at all that looks negative (but thats actually a much smaller number of posters than some people intimate), just like there are a few posters who feel like they need to push up every negative thing they can find said about Tesla.

Pushing those two groups aside, most people (and most posters here) are in the middle, and can openly acknowledge certain reoccurring themes. What changes is the weight each person gives to those themes. I agree very strongly with the point that @ChadS made in this thread, which is basically "there will never be one vehicle that is right for everyone, and thats ok".

I agree with pretty much everything you've said....
Here are my comments on a few things:

Doors - They feel cheap when you first use them especially if you touch the edges..but you eventually get used to them. I agree though, that they should feel more solid.
Door handles - I like the darker handles..I haven't had scratching issues...I hate explaining to people how to open the door from the outside and inside but eventually it isn't an issue. From my personal usability standpoint, I like the inside button to get out, I just wish the emergency manual wasn't such a logical place for people to grab and use. The outside door handle you get used to but I don't really think they're great.
Ride quality - One of my biggest complaints and still a constant complaint here. Some people think this is acceptable..but if you come from a BMW or similar, you know you can have both a sporty ride and not feel every bump on the road....That said, on smooth roads the car rides great but if you don't, it sucks..and sucks even more if you're in the back.
Steering Wheel - Feels cheap and tiny...you do get used to it though. I don't notice it anymore.

The removal of USS before the vision is ready is unacceptable...total BS. Its all ok to get rid of USS if your alternate solution is working..but not before. And especially in places where space is tighter (I will only drive smaller cars when I'm in Europe because of this), it must be a total nightmare not having something so basic on a car that is supposed to be more advanced...

Turn radius - It is terrible.

One good thing about the car is the software updates...I appreciate that they're constantly improving it...A big contrast to other cars.

Overall, I like the car but it fell well below expectations...most of the things I had found out about before accepting the car so I was mostly mentally prepared for the not so good stuff.

Hi all,
sorry for the bad English sometimes... I speak Dutch.

I have my Model Y Performance for 35 days now and driven it 2000km in Belgium (Europe).

I like to give you my honest opinion of this car coming from multiple BMW's, and why I want to switch to BMW again.

Probably already a zillion posts about this, but if it helps someone making a decision between a Tesla and a BMW...

I bought the Tesla after I had a Model 3 as a company car for 6 months and I was looking to go electric with my personal car.
What made me buy it was the supercharger network, the looks of the car, the infotainment and the acceleration.
I watched maybe a hundred Youtube videos before making the decision and I had driven a Model 3 before.
The Model Y looked like the perfect car.
Paid 70k for the Quicksilver Performance version and white seats.

I will start with my conclusion after just 2k km... In the end it comes down to the fact I come from a line of BMW cars and I can't help but compare every time I ride the Tesla.
I like parts of the Tesla of course, but I miss too many things that were just standard in the BMW. For me sitting in a BMW is much more relaxed, has a premium feeling to it and I feel more confident riding them without having to think about small issues that frustrate me in the end. So I'll be switching to a BMW again.

I did not test drive an electric BMW before making the Tesla purchase. Just because the BMW was more expensive and we drive to the south of France every year and BMW does not have the supercharger network. I realize that when going on holidays the Tesla would have been superior in terms of experience. But it does not make up for the frustrations on a daily base.

Overall rating Tesla Model Y Performance 6,5/10.

Here are some of the things that I used most and rated them good/ok/bad.
I like to start with the bad.

The Bad
DELIVERY
- Oh man... I had my fair share of stress. Tesla probably has the worst customer experience of any car maker in Belgium for taking delivery.
Long story short my delivery date was rescheduled 3 times and my car was used at a Belgian car show AFTER I already paid the full amount!
Did not receive any compensation for the trouble, they just said sorry we need to use your car for a week and lied two times about the whereabouts of the car.

TESLA ONLINE STORE
- Bought a 210 euro keyfob and they (Musk?) decided to save money on the batteries. Watched several Youtube videos where they all unbox and first thing under the keyfob are batteries. A person in the community noticed they stated on the website it comes without batteries, but WHY??? The keyfob is useless without batteries. So I had to drive to the store first to get 2032-type batteries.

USS
- Removing USS was the worst idea without a fix through Vision only. I ordered the car in July 2022, the car had USS parking sensors then.
I received my car in 2023 without them. It was a deal breaker but salesperson said the fix was arriving soon. Hoped to receive it every single day since!
Not having decent parking aid is the most frustrating thing of this car.
Maybe in USA all parking spots and garages are huge and don't require them, but in Europe it's almost impossible to park without them and not worry about scratches.
When it's dark outside it's even worse. I just push the brake so my brake lights show what is behind me.
I mean, I always rear parked with the Tesla because at least I had the camera to somewhat rely on, I don't know how others do this.
But parking front first is just guessing nothing is sticking out that will hit your bumper.
It was so frustrating everyday that I made the conclusion that I do not want any car without them at this time. I'm just so used to them now.
I do not wish to wait for a fix that will probably not tackle every frustration while parking.

BUILD QUALITY
- Build quality is still far from a premium European car imo.
It's improved compared to the Model 3 I had before, but it's just not premium or luxury.
And let me say that I am really forgiving in terms of panel gaps, which I shouldn't be on a brand new car.
Yes, this 2023 Model Y has a fair share of them, but I just did not want to send it back.
Opening en closing the frunk gives a flimsy impression. After a month the frunk is already squeaking.
There is a noticeable difference between the front doors and the rear doors in weight and quality. Rear doors feel like a 25 year old Toyota. There is no weight in those doors.
Front doors are ok but not what I'm used to. The interior is ok but just doesn't feel premium.

RIDE QUALITY
- Can't get used to this car honestly. Steering wheel shakes when driving +150km on highways. I live in Belgium, we have the worst roads in most parts of the country.
I feel shaking of the wheels or steering wheel when driving when it should not. Roads I have driven for the past 7 years with other cars and never noticed anything. Could be because of the suspension/tires. I don't know. I just really notice it in this car.
This is a sportscar that has a speed limit of 250 km/h, but how anybody can feel confident driving +150 km/h in this I just don't understand.

PAINT
- 2k km and I have 3 spots missing paint from chips on a car coming from the "best paint facility in the world" (according to Musk).
So I check my 5 year old black BMW for comparison... it has them but not that deep into the paint.
It's a Berlin model and a Quicksilver, so it comes from their brand new paint facility.
Yes, the overall paint is better and it's a nice color, but it chips so fast and deep that you can see white spots.
No, I don't wish to spend another 5k on PPF.
Also, upon receiving my car there was blemish in the paint on the rear door. Did not notice it until I was at home and really did not want to go back and service the car. And the frunk has two paint imperfections where a bubble or something had formed under the paint (+- 2mm).

DOORHANDLES
- Personal opinion but I think they are stupid. Whenever I pick someone up, I have to open the window and explain what they need to do.
Also, they are black and already show scratches from people wearing rings. Also in this area not a nice paint quality or finish.

CRUISE CONTROL
I name it cruise control because that's what you at least want from a car this expensive.
Tesla Autopilot is the worst system I have used in a long time. Why call it even Autopilot because it clearly is no autopilot.
It looks promising and its cool looking at the visuals and all, but it just does standard stuff wrong and worse than competitors. In Europe at least.
I feel that the Model 3 I had was better with autopilot than the one I'm driving now.
It's good at taking corners on highways on autopilot, but just regular cruise control with good speed recognition is nowhere near as good as my previous cars.
It feels like someone is driving the car that just has their drivers license and not confident about driving. Braking and slowing down all to frequent.
In the end I just don't use AP anymore just because I don't trust it. The speed limit is always off and people behind me must go crazy with the brake lights popping up all the time. It also can't recognize speed limits above highways in Europe.
I'm not saying it should adapt to the speed limit, but just showing the correct information isn't even possible.
So probably good in USA on wide roads, long trips and less congested traffic maybe.

AUTOMATIC WIPERS
Please don't start by saying I could just replace them with Bosch wipers. I know ok.
But for a car this expensive you expect better wipers and sensors that actually work.
I have never owned a car with automatic wipers where I had to engage the wipers manually so frequently. Really, I have the car for such a short time and use the manual mode for wipers almost everyday because they would not function when they needed to.

The OK
RANGE
Range is not what is advertised, but it is ok. I get around 340km out of my 90% charge and it's still cold outside so I guess that's good.

SOUND SYSTEM
The sound system is ok but it can't compare to Harman Kardon for example in a BMW.
Much more defined and better spread in the car.

STEERING WHEEL
The steering wheel is ok but feels a bit cheap. The two buttons on the steering wheel also. This has not changed since the Model 3 I drove so I was already used to them. When pressing the buttons for the next song, sometimes I would slide of or not push hard enough. Side pressing is not my favorite, I prefer the actual downward push buttons.

KEYLESS ENTRY
Keyless entry with smartphone worked almost all of the time.
The keyfob on the other hand I had to reconnect twice already.

The Good
LOOKS
The Quicksilver Performance model looks cool, I really love the looks of the car.
The white interior gives you a spacious feeling, I like the color.

ACCELERATION
The acceleration is insane, but I thought I would be using it more frequently when in fact I only truly use the full power when going on highways and no one is in front of me.
Driving the car feels fun, it reacts immediately. Yet ride quality is not the best.

REGENERATIVE BREAKING
Regenerative breaking is really good, almost never use the brakes.

CHARGING
Good charging experience. Automatic port opening when the charger is near is nice to have. Went to a supercharger once. Was nice to watch Netflix for 30 minutes.

INFOTAINMENT
The infotainment system is the best. Really responsive and good visuals. I love the Apple Music and Spotify apps which I use most. Changing car settings is easy and intuitive. Never played games and never used any of the gimmicks.

SENTRY MODE
Sentry mode is a nice feature but could be better if you would get immediate alerts on your watch or phone through the app. Now you only see what happened when you get back to the car (I think).

CAMERAS
Camera's popping up when changing lanes and rear drive is a cool feature. Works really well.

APP
The app is good. I did have 2 times where the app just wouldn't connect. Service mode error.
Preconditioning the car every morning is really the best. Couldn't care less about the gimmicks in the app.
Charging status is clear.
Scheduling repair through the app was easy.
Watching the car in sentry mode is cool but never a reason to use this actually.

SPACE
Really a lot of storage space and good space for passengers.

I feel sad because I hyped this car so much and waited for this car for 7 months.
But in the end it just frustrates me more than my previous cars. The tech, looks, acceleration and supercharger network do not make up for all the minor flaws and stuff I miss that I had in previous cars.
Wow… you said you watch a tons of videos and research on the MYP, still decided to buy and now complain about all of this.

I agree the delivery process was frustrating. I want a little bit of hand-holding after paying that much for a new car. Other people seem to love or at least be ok with the Tesla approach.

Our Y has maybe one of the last made with USS. It's a nice feature but I don't feel it's essential. More often than not it's nagging me about situations that are perfectly fine. I never had cars with such sensors so like a lot of things I guess it depends on what you're used to.

BUILD QUALITY
Quality so far seems ok in most areas. The Tesla version of "luxury" in unconventional though. Frunk lid is certainly "flimsy" in a way but to me it is form following function. Lightweight Aluminum lid extends capabilities of the car as a whole. I don't need a "thunk" when it closes though some minor reinforcement would help alleviate fears that I'm going to crease it when closing or washing. Certainly this could be done with a minimum of weight. My first LEAF had a lightweight aluminum hood also, but didn't have such beer-can vulnerability. "Feel" of door closing is of no importance to me as long as they open and close reliably and don't leak.

RIDE QUALITY
No car should have a shaky steering wheel. This sounds like a service item Tesla should be able to sort it out.

Almost every car I've had, people will tell me how bad the manufacturer's paint is. I'm no paint expert so I don't know. To me it's a wear item and I'm ok with normal wear. Wabi-sabi.

DOORHANDLES
Lol, same here. Nobody understands them. Heck I'm still getting used to it. But I do appreciate the aero function and it seems like a better solution than the problematic "self-presenting" handles on earlier Teslas. I think this style will become commonplace and everyone will just get used to it.

CRUISE CONTROL
I find it handy at times when driving solo but I don't use it if I have passengers because it really does some dumb things and irritates people who are not used to its quirks. The addled behavior of their cruise control makes me question their sanity when they talk about imminent fleets of robotaxis.

AUTOMATIC WIPERS
So what's the deal about "replace with Bosch wipers"? Does this fix the auto feature or just wipe better? To me the Auto implementation is probably my biggest complaint about the vehicle overall. It fails miserably in critical situations and then the driver is left with trying to manipulate a touch screen in a critical cockpit situation, or maybe hoping the voice-recognition will deign to accept input. This is a function that should be easily and decisively controlled by muscle-memory with a bespoke physical control. Tesla's implementation here is poor beyond reason and I'm of a mind to register this deficiency with the NHTSA. This abject failure in automating a simple task again makes me question the FSD hegemony they envision.

Coming from a 24 kWH LEAF, the range is a freaking miracle! Again, it's about what you're used to.

SOUND SYSTEM
Seems to have pretty good range but I'm deaf in one ear so the subtleties of sound systems are often lost on me.
STEERING WHEEL
My only complaint is the current fashion trend of flattening the bottom of steering wheels. But at least it's not a yoke, so I'm thankful for not having to deal with that full-on lunacy.
KEYLESS ENTRY
No complaints here, though I don't have a "fob". I get the impression that the fob is an afterthought that they really didn't care about but felt compelled by demand.
It's a decent-looking car with nice sexy curves. Most cars today follow the "Tranformers" aesthetic and are ugly to me. I wish there were interior options besides black-hole and blinding white, but seat-covers deal with that.
ACCELERATION
Mostly drive in Chill Mode, turning it off and punching the accelerator makes me laugh. I just wish that Chill Mode didn't take away the top-end as there are occasions where full power would be advantageous and there's certainly no time to be fumbling with a touch screen in those situations. And yes I do know about "SEXY Buttons". Still, I would much prefer a throttle map where full power was available at the top, but more controllable at the bottom.

REGENERATIVE BREAKING
Yes, very poweful. Coming from LEAF it felt insanely powerful and jarring at first but I've adapted and love it now. EVs are worth it for the one-pedal driving alone. And knowing that my braking is "making fuel", just tickles me.
Nothing better
INFOTAINMENT
I want Apple Car Play, but I don't imagine it will happen.
SENTRY MODE
Sentry mode is a nice feature but could be better if you would get immediate alerts on your watch or phone through the app. Now you only see what happened when you get back to the car (I think).
I feel compelled to use it though I'm not sure what practical use it will ever be to me other than to feed paranoia. It's certainly an energy hog though!

It seems like a cool feature but I have problems. 1st that's where my right hand usually is. I hold the wheel at 10 and 2 o-clock. I realize the cool kids don't do that anymore, but 45 years of ingrained habit. Also, with older eyes it's a bit more of a chore to switch focus from infinity to near-vision, then back again. And there is mental processing to fit that picture into the spatial relationship that is more apparent when looking into side-mirrors. In my opinion cameras and displays could be a fine replacement for mirrors, but the displays should be in a location as close as possible to where you currently look for the mirrors, not in a center display.
Pretty darned good. It makes me laugh when I consider how abysmal the Nissan connectivity app was by comparison.
SPACE
Really a lot of storage space and good space for passengers.
Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.