Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2016 video that would sell anyone on FSD.

"Tesla workers later revealed that the video was fabricated, done in multiple takes, with the driving system’s failures removed, including a crash into a fence."

I can tell you the light touches on the steering wheel in the video would not prevent any nags.
agree with this bit, faking a video is Nikola style.
But that isn't what you said in your initial post.
It makes driving less safe when every minute you are looking at the display flashing instead of keeping your eyes on the road
What utter rubbish - holding the wheel is part of the basics of driving a car. You won't get warnings to look at if you're holding the wheel.

Now my solution disables autopilot for the remainder of a trip and if I keep using the weight I will be kicked out of the beta program.
Kinda points to the "solution" being wrong, it's not like anyone who uses a weight can claim to be uninformed. They use it knowing that AP had to implement nags because people were treating AP like an L4/5 system when its just L2 driver assistance.

2016 video that would sell anyone on FSD.

"Tesla workers later revealed that the video was fabricated, done in multiple takes, with the driving system’s failures removed, including a crash into a fence."

I can tell you the light touches on the steering wheel in the video would not prevent any nags.
I watched this video for the first time tonight. Instead of being outraged by what a fake it was (which it undoubtedly was in 2016), I was actually struck by how similar most of the video was to what my "normal" drives on FSDb look like today (without the Reverse Summon piece).

And it made me feel that this video, while groundbreaking and certainly aspirational at the time, has now mostly become a reality with FSDb, which I find very cool! It was definitely "science fiction" at the time, but most of our cutting edge real world inventions have started as science fiction.

That's the visionary part of Elon Musk that people forget in all the noise, tweets, ambitious broken promises, etc. I hope that, in the end, we will see Musk's full vision come to fruition (robo-taxies, etc). It will just take a lot longer than we were told originally, and I'm ok with that.

647620DC-25A6-4D1E-82C2-4682212919B0.gif

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Some people say it works great other people say it's terrible. If I was Musk I would want to know why it works on one car and not another. Or why it works one minute and acts up the next
It's mind boggling. Hence in my signature, "Unicorn that everything works on." The beta and Not are beyond worth it to me. when people say nothing works, I chalk it up to user error.

Reactions: Yelobird
You claim that something is so dangerous but yet you bought it 5…….FIVE times? only after 6-7 years you decide to complain about it to let everyone else know About your decision making skills. Impressive
I've been complaining for a long time: The big question. Nag or No Nag?

I was an autopilot beta tester in 2016 and they got plenty of nag feedback from me,

For years autopilot has been OK for me thanks to a diver belt weight. That changed so I'm complaining again.

I was gonna ask "why does this need a separate thread vs all the other autopilot threads here, but then when I read it I see the actual complaint is basically:

" I am angry because my wheel weight / belt / other hack to use autopilot / FSD without putting my hands on the wheel is being targetted. Because I cant drive without my hands on the wheel, I am done with Tesla".

So, yeah its a bit different than the other ones.
Odd that others have posted far more inflammatory posts than mine in this thread (including yours), yet mine wasn't just moved to Snippiness, it was completely deleted. No notice, nada.

Interesting.

Odd that others have posted far more inflammatory posts than mine in this thread (including yours), yet mine wasn't just moved to Snippiness, it was completely deleted. No notice, nada.

Interesting.

I dont have any rights here in this subforum so I dont have any feedback for you on what might have been deleted etc. I cant see it either (mods can only see that stuff in the subforums they have rights to).

Interesting.
There is no consistency or rhyme reason to the mods rules. Ex:using the built in forum feature and posting a gif of trump saying “wrong” “requires” the mods to remove the gif and replace it with the word, “wrong”.

Make sense? No?

Right. 😅

If you hold the steering, you end up disabling autopilot and cause the car to rock like a boat in the process. If you lightly put your hands on the steering wheel you still get the nags.
I think as Steve Jobs once said, "You're holding it wrong."

One problem is the use of the term “hands on the wheel”. If you do use both hands, it is very difficult to apply torque and you then get nags which then annoys some people to the point of using a defeat device.

I use one hand and simply never get nags. Have been driving Teslas since 2013. I use my right hand at about 5 o’clock partly resting on my knee in my 3 (in my X, my knee is too far away.) I simply hook my thumb and forefinger and provide a slight continuous torque. I have never disabled autopilot this way. I also occasionally switch hands.

I use one hand and simply never get nags. Have been driving Teslas since 2013. I use my right hand at about 5 o’clock partly resting on my knee in my 3 (in my X, my knee is too far away.) I simply hook my thumb and forefinger and provide a slight continuous torque. I have never disabled autopilot this way. I also occasionally switch hands.
So there is a science defeating the nag.