Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just sad that the new Auto Pilot offering does not include Summon and AutoPark the way AP 1.0 does...

self park I find mostly gimmicky.. but summon I have been using almost daily the past few weeks to back the car into very tight spots after i've gotten out of the car.

it will be missed.

FSD is a feature set (well it will be when I buy it, sometime in the near future). If you don't like the feature set don't get it, but this name game of "well it isn't FSD" is rather tiresome.

Wow, it was touted as literally Full Self Driving for years.

Tesla updates self-driving language, creates confusion and walks back features

Even crazier, FSD now shows in my account as only $2K, but it is only touted it as a route optimizer. The only claim it makes for $2K is:

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go and your Tesla will figure out the optimal route."

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go and your Tesla will figure out the optimal route."

I liked that better when they called it GPS.

What's sad is- even THAT isn't true... the crap GPS in Teslas still can't handle things a 15 year old garmin can- like waypoints or the traveling salesman problem.

I liked that better when they called it GPS.

What's sad is- even THAT isn't true... the crap GPS in Teslas still can't handle things a 15 year old garmin can- like waypoints or the traveling salesman problem.

Some people have stated that if you put your location into your phone calendar, it can act as waypoints. Kinda clunky but I guess it works. I haven’t felt the need to try since there are online tools like evtripplanner or supercharge.info.

I think people are crazy if they buy FSD for an additional 2k. The value of this package is $5 for everyone who purchased before the price changes. This is because tesla has created that value for it. Don't support them on asking for more money if you already paid 5k for EAP! Don't give them a dime more. They specifically told early adopters that FSD package would cost more later, only to go back on their word and do the EXACT opposite. Stone cold about it too! Not cool.

Plus we all know waiting pays off with tesla. It's likely best to not purchase any software upgrades if your getting a new car. Apparently they will reward you later with cheaper prices on those software updates. Right now if you have EAP buying FSD gives you absolutely no additional features. By the time those features are out you may be in a different car!

If you want to donate to tesla go ahead and give them your 2K though. Otherwise I would suggest not supporting this flip/flopping company tactic on their software upgrades.

All they had to do was leave FSD at 3k to upgrade for EAP users, and offer the package to anyone who bought neither at 8k. No one would be upset.
I bought it. I love it. And I’ll get the hardware upgrade free! New tech always goes down in price. That &3,500. 4K TV can now be bought for $799. You have a great car. Why not get the most out of it?

Ok... so I have been watching Tesla for years and wanted one years ago but only recently bought one. Let's remember that no other car out there pushes you free upgrades and feature after you buy the car regardless of the changes. Tesla does it month after month and year after year. Also no other car company is going to upgrade equipment on your car for free so how can we expect Tesla to as there is a cost to do so.
I can understand people getting disappointed when a new feature or capability comes out but it happens all the time with iPhones and people don't complain they just wait until they are ready to upgrade. With the iPhone you can't pay to upgrade the hardware they just make you buy a new one. I would think we were all happy with the car we bought when we bought it. Lets hope that Tesla can continue to thrive and transform the car industry because I for one don't want to go back to the way it has been for years.

I can understand people getting disappointed when a new feature or capability comes out but it happens all the time with iPhones and people don't complain they just wait until they are ready to upgrade. With the iPhone you can't pay to upgrade the hardware they just make you buy a new one. .

Apple never cuts the price on a phone you ordered but have not yet received and then refuses to refund you the difference or permit you to cancel/return the original order and buy again at the new lower price.

Only Tesla does that.

Apple never cuts the price on a phone you ordered but have not yet received and then refuses to refund you the difference or permit you to cancel/return the original order and buy again at the new lower price.

Only Tesla does that.

In EU, where Tesla just started to deliver vehicles about a week before the price changes, we have a guaranteed, legal, 14-day return RIGHT for products purchased online. I've returned my P3D, cancelled the trade and got a full refund, and I'm not locally the only one. I will be ordering a new P3D with mildly different configuration, only AP as the rest will still need driver supervision and will save approx. 12k€.

I suspect that there will be ~1k km driven Model 3's quite well available in the very near future throughout EU. Guess how much that is going to cost to Tesla? As an investor this doesn't instill me with confidence for a profitable 2019.

In EU, where Tesla just started to deliver vehicles about a week before the price changes, we have a guaranteed, legal, 14-day return RIGHT for products purchased online. I've returned my P3D, cancelled the trade and got a full refund, and I'm not locally the only one. I will be ordering a new P3D with mildly different configuration, only AP as the rest will still need driver supervision and will save approx. 12k€.

I suspect that there will be ~1k km driven Model 3's quite well available in the very near future throughout EU. Guess how much that is going to cost to Tesla? As an investor this doesn't instill me with confidence for a profitable 2019.

Tesla would have been better off doing what other car companies do. Keep all the savings for themselves and still screw over the buyers. Teslas decision will hurt themselves in the short term but will ultimately really just hurt their competition.

Only Tesla does that.

So if you would have financed an iPhone with a 2 year plan through a carrier, do you think they would have reduced your payment if the next years Model was cheaper?

You can refuse delivery of your Tesla.

So if you would have financed an iPhone with a 2 year plan through a carrier, do you think they would have reduced your payment if the next years Model was cheaper?

New models of iPhones get cheaper?? Hmmm I’ve been sitting on my iPhone 7 for a while now because Verizon doesn’t have the same BOGO plus trade in offer I received over 2 years ago w/o adding a line of service.

I just don’t get the comparisons to TVs, cell phones and computers. Teslas are cars! They are not “tech” like everyone makes them out to be. We compare quarterly sales to Lexus, Audi, etc..... not Apple and Samsung.

New models of iPhones get cheaper?? Hmmm I’ve been sitting on my iPhone 7 for a while now because Verizon doesn’t have the same BOGO plus trade in offer I received over 2 years ago w/o adding a line of service.

I just don’t get the comparisons to TVs, cell phones and computers. Teslas are cars! They are not “tech” like everyone makes them out to be. We compare quarterly sales to Lexus, Audi, etc..... not Apple and Samsung.

I said “IF”. FYI - I have a iPhone 6S.

Also, Apple did reduce their prices.

Tesla has been able to reduce the costs. People have said EVs are too expensive.

Feel free to buy from another manufacturer that doesn’t lower prices for your next purchase. If you enjoy overpaying every time, have at it.

I said “IF”. FYI - I have a iPhone 6S.

Also, Apple did reduce their prices.

Tesla has been able to reduce the costs. People have said EVs are too expensive.

Feel free to buy from another manufacturer that doesn’t lower prices for your next purchase. If you enjoy overpaying every time, have at it.

In all seriousness please point me to these cheaper iPhones. I really do need an upgrade.

And FYI, my last vehicle was a Subaru that I paid $25k for brand new. Sold it 3 1/2 years later with approximately 70k miles on it for $20k. That same car today starts around $28k. It went up in price. The only people overpaying are those who buy Teslas before today.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover

You aren't making any sense.

In your example I actually have a phone to use the entire time.

If the price drops a year later, that's irrelevant.

FSD on the other hand has not been delivered

It's effectively PREORDER

So yes, if the price dropped before they ever actually delivered the product, I'd absolutely expect to get some of my pre-payment back. As should anybody. As does anybody with literally any other product from any other company.

S

As noted elsewhere that would require a flux capacity, and the Model 3 battery can't output the 1.21 GW needed.

Now, if I could refuse delivery of my preorder of FSD that still has not been delivered and rebuy at the new lower price, like you can for every other preorder in the world, that'd be great.

Tesla doesn't seem willing to let anyone to that though.