Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't take your hands off the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new 2015 P90D and quickly learned that even with the software upgrades, it would often either serve abruptly, or cross over into an adjacent lane while going around a sweeping curve on Autopilot, so I always kept one or both hands on the wheel, given I used autopilot daily. The first time it swerved abruptly into an adjacent lane it scared the hell out of me as I didn't have a firm grip on the wheel. Luckily there wasn't another car there, or it would have been an accident.

I got rid of that car and for the last year+ I've been driving a 2014 Mercedes E550, with their "Drivers Assistance" package equivalent to Tesla Autopilot, which I use daily, same as I did with my Tesla. Despite being 1 year older and no "over the air" software updates, it tracks the center of the lane very well, without any abrupt swerves or crossing into an adjacent lane. Also, it allows me to change direction (ex: avoiding a pothole) without disengaging autopilot, whereas the same thing in my P90 would have.

Tesla needs to contact the Israeli company that develops and sells this technology to car companies all around the world and get them to solve that problem.
I don’t know, whether that was a joke, but that Israeli company is Mobileye end your 2015 Tesla had its MobileyeQ3 chip.

Obviously, some folks happily live with that. But for me that it is more stress letting the AP drive knowing that it could drive the car in a wall without any warning.
It needs to reach the reliability of a plane AP which you don't need to keep your hands on.

At least one airline pilot that posts here says he always keeps a hand on the yoke. That way if the autopilot or the aircraft has an issue, he can feel it and take over immediately.

GSP

• Funny
Reactions: Nikxice
At least one airline pilot that posts here says he always keeps a hand on the yoke. That way if the autopilot or the aircraft has an issue, he can feel it and take over immediately.

GSP
If he is an airline pilot, he is an exception, cause I've never seen any airline pilot keeping his hands on the yoke beside during critical moments like approached autoland or significat turbulences.

Reactions: Nikxice
Why are you even arguing over this? Tesla tells you quite clearly not to trust Autopilot, and to remain ready to take over in a fraction of a second.

If you are doing any less it's negligence.

Also if the car AP is not approved for some situations, it shouldn't engage and it should disengage when the situation is encountered. For instance, in a lot of planes which are not approved for automatic Take off, you can try engaging the Auto pilot bellow 400 feet but I can guarantee you it won't do anything.

So it is not an autopilot.

It is. I'm a pilot too, although I fly private planes, small single- or twin-engine personal aircraft with 4-8 seats. Essentially all autopilot technology in airplanes is intended to reduce your workload by taking care of repetitive or "boring" chores like holding altitude or course, thus letting you focus on being the pilot instead of the driver... thinking about weather, systems, wind, passenger comfort, fuel, and of course monitoring/supervising the autopilot!

The only real difference is that an airplane's autopilot has a far easier job: no potholes, and the "lane" is 8 miles wide and 2,000 feet high. No sharp turns, no irregular markings, no weird surface problems, and no need to avoid traffic all the time that is < 1 sec from potentially causing an accident. Tesla's autopilot naming may not be intuitive to most, and there's clearly a marketing issue there, but it's actually a great name from a purely technical point of view: it does things for you and lowers your workload, but is NOT self-driving.

All of the above should not be taken to mean I'm satisfied with current progress. The car's environment is far more challenging, and Tesla's autopilot is still clearly deserving of its "beta" status. It makes mistakes which it shouldn't, and it's not as good as it should be, but then that's why it's in BETA. Whether a beta product should be released to the public is a different debate in which I don't care to participate. All I'm saying is yes, it's an autopilot; and yes, considering the challenges it faces and its BETA status it's pretty good, though not yet even close to good enough for non-beta trust-it-with-your-life release. We're years away from that.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I don't understand the conflict here. If you drive a Tesla car
with EAP or with the current FSD upgrade, you learn what
it's capable of, and where not to rely on it. It's unimaginable
that anyone who drives such a car would be going back to
the dictionary or some company literature to decide what
the terms mean so they can adjust their behavior. It's all
part of a continuum of automation, from the first horseless
carriage, to automatic transmission, cruise control, and now
the gradually improving iterations of self-driving technology.

The term Autopilot cannot have a precise meaning in the
face of changing technologies. It started with a rope on a
boat's rudder, and keeps evolving, with growing pains at
every step. What's the issue? Rope slipped off the rudder?

Personally I agree with Elon Musk's expectations. I have
no doubt, zero, that in a few years we will look back at
manually operated vehicles as senselessly dangerous
machines from the days of the uniformed hotel elevator
operator and scythe-cut wheat crops.

I'd say fans of the good old days or those who focus on
the growing pains should just use only what they prefer
and stay out bashing arguments. It may be sad, but at
some point, for safety reasons, they will be restricted to
the horse and bicycle lanes.

Also, as more vehicles are more automated, they will be
more predictable, thus lowering the risks. Maybe as an
interim measure all cars will carry a cheap transponder
to help other vehicles more easily "see" them.

Also if the car AP is not approved for some situations ... it should disengage when the situation is encountered.

@antoinearnau do you drive a Tesla with NOA capability?

People who would prefer an automation system that self
disengages when it encounters unfavorable conditions
have no idea of what they are asking for. Not only is it
unnecessarily restrictive, it's also far more dangerous to
pull driving assistance out from under the driver. I know.

Last edited:
I don't understand the conflict here. If you drive a Tesla car
with EAP or with the current FSD upgrade, you learn what
it's capable of, and where not to rely on it. It's unimaginable
that anyone who drives such a car would be going back to
the dictionary or some company literature to decide what
the terms mean so they can adjust their behavior. It's all
part of a continuum of automation, from the first horseless
carriage, to automatic transmission, cruise control, and now
the gradually improving iterations of self-driving technology.

The term Autopilot cannot have a precise meaning in the
face of changing technologies. It started with a rope on a
boat's rudder, and keeps evolving, with growing pains at
every step. What's the issue? Rope slipped off the rudder?

Personally I agree with Elon Musk's expectations. I have
no doubt, zero, that in a few years we will look back at
manually operated vehicles as senselessly dangerous
machines from the days of the uniformed hotel elevator
operator and scythe-cut wheat crops.

I'd say fans of the good old days or those who focus on
the growing pains should just use only what they prefer
and stay out bashing arguments. It may be sad, but at
some point, for safety reasons, they will be restricted to
the horse and bicycle lanes.

Also, as more vehicles are more automated, they will be
more predictable, thus lowering the risks. Maybe as an
interim measure all cars will carry a cheap transponder
to help other vehicles more easily "see" them.

@antoinearnau do you drive a Tesla with NOA capability?

People who would prefer an automation system that self
disengages when it encounters unfavorable conditions
have no idea of what they are asking for. Not only is it
unnecessarily restrictive, it's also far more dangerous to
pull driving assistance out from under the driver. I know.
That is exactely how it works with planes, and it removes all doubt on what is going on.
Of course it gives a warning when it disconnect so you know that there is something going on, which in return raises your awareness.

I tested it during the trial.

I bought a new 2015 P90D and quickly learned that even with the software upgrades, it would often either serve abruptly, or cross over into an adjacent lane while going around a sweeping curve on Autopilot, so I always kept one or both hands on the wheel, given I used autopilot daily. The first time it swerved abruptly into an adjacent lane it scared the hell out of me as I didn't have a firm grip on the wheel. Luckily there wasn't another car there, or it would have been an accident.

I got rid of that car and for the last year+ I've been driving a 2014 Mercedes E550, with their "Drivers Assistance" package equivalent to Tesla Autopilot, which I use daily, same as I did with my Tesla. Despite being 1 year older and no "over the air" software updates, it tracks the center of the lane very well, without any abrupt swerves or crossing into an adjacent lane. Also, it allows me to change direction (ex: avoiding a pothole) without disengaging autopilot, whereas the same thing in my P90 would have.

Tesla needs to contact the Israeli company that develops and sells this technology to car companies all around the world and get them to solve that problem.

I agree to disagree.

My previous vehicle before Tesla M3 was a 2017 E300 with distronic plus (which is the driver assistance package) and have to say that it is way inferior than the EAP package that Tesla offers. The Mercedes Benz package was not able to take over the turns and in some cases it disengaged while driving which was not that pleasant specially when doing turns.

Have to remember that Tesla's AP is not FSD. Therefore it has limitation and it's learning from its own mistakes. With that in mind, any claim about AP not performing as expected is probably expected due that is a Beta version plus its stated in the manual and the alert message you get when engaging it.

I do love my Tesla and don't regret switching but I do also understand it's limitation and that if we want a better product, we need to train it.

If you like, I'll bet you a dollar ;-) But here, we must agree to what FSD actually is, since there is plenty of FUD around that too.

Yeah absolutely! FSD appears to be diluting down to what previous EAP was aspiring to be. Certainly nothing like a literal full self-driving car where you can sit back and pay no attention to the road. Achieving level 5 automation is not just a "software" engineering task, it involves many other engineering disciplines in parallel e.g. vehicle dynamics. Tesla have already historically way underestimated the timeline for FSD, so I have little confidence in their current marketing talk.

I love my Tesla MX, we have an M3 on order as a second car and think current EAP is really cool, but I have realistic expectations for its capability. If I didn't keep my hands on the wheel in EAP it would have taken me out at least half a dozen times over the last 18 months of ownership! It is improving for sure, but still a mountain to climb.

Not that I want to call you out on it, but why don't you explain how you came up with one year to FSD with no exposure to their internal product roadmap, engineering notes, bugs, QA, testing, feedback from regulators and regularly scheduled progress updates from hardware and software teams?

If you want to say you believe Elon Musk's timeline, that's perfectly OK to do - but if you're basing it off our own industry experience, you must know the risks of doing so without data?

When I hear Elon make a projection, I think, "OK, this is the best case scenario - perhaps more of a goal worth aspiring to." The idea of setting lofty goals is good, because otherwise if you set modest goals, you may not even reach those. As a rule of thumb, I try not to take these timelines at face value, because I'll set myself up for disappointment. This is because experience has shown that Tesla's delivery timeframes slip, and even Musk jokes about it. Under promise, and over-deliver is a mantra I prefer to see.

If you like, I'll bet you a dollar ;-) But here, we must agree to what FSD actually is, since there is plenty of FUD around that too.
That's the dumbest diatribe I've heard in awhile. You've clear!y never worked in software.

Also if the car AP is not approved for some situations, it shouldn't engage and it should disengage when the situation is encountered. For instance, in a lot of planes which are not approved for automatic Take off, you can try engaging the Auto pilot bellow 400 feet but I can guarantee you it won't do anything. [...] That is exactely how it works with planes, and it removes all doubt on what is going on.

Please provide more detail of your aviation experience to understand what you are speaking of. I would say that light, general-aviation airplanes certified to FAR 23 and under 6000 or 7000 pounds are the only appropriate comparison to a car, and even 7000 pounds is a fairly large, pressurized twin. And on those airplanes, unless they are equipped with a radar altimeter (which most are not), the autopilot does not have a clue how far above the ground you are and this "will not engage below 400 feet" idea does not apply.

In general, a performance comparison between aircraft autopilots and a Tesla AP software is not fair... the airplane's job is much easier. But even then, it sounds like maybe you're speaking of the autopilot technology in larger, more sophisticated aircraft, and that's an even less applicable comparison as you're then talking about aircraft that, even used and 80's vintage, are likely to be $2M and up.

Please provide more detail of your aviation experience to understand what you are speaking of. I would say that light, general-aviation airplanes certified to FAR 23 and under 6000 or 7000 pounds are the only appropriate comparison to a car, and even 7000 pounds is a fairly large, pressurized twin. And on those airplanes, unless they are equipped with a radar altimeter (which most are not), the autopilot does not have a clue how far above the ground you are and this "will not engage below 400 feet" idea does not apply.

In general, a performance comparison between aircraft autopilots and a Tesla AP software is not fair... the airplane's job is much easier. But even then, it sounds like maybe you're speaking of the autopilot technology in larger, more sophisticated aircraft, and that's an even less applicable comparison as you're then talking about aircraft that, even used and 80's vintage, are likely to be $2M and up.
I am flying a 737, but I don't think money is the matter. If the car AP is not aporoved for city driving, it shouldn't engage in city. The car has a gps hence it knows where it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Just curious, are you in the software field? That's not what feature complete means. It means all the features of the software are complete, there is no planned stuff that hasn't been written. It doesn't mean GA, it doesn't mean Beta.
A car can't do coast to coast if, for no other reasons, they don't have snake chargers yet.
Then why did Elon promise a coast-coast FSD drive this year? Well, he's promised one for the last few years....
It's pretty well documented what FSD means. If you want to short TESLA, go for it.
Oh good grief. Look at my .sig line. I have been involved with Tesla WAY longer than you. I've never owned nor shorted a single share of Tesla stock. I am simply a long term customer calling it like it is. As long as people treat the company with kid gloves they will have no reason to improve. Further, if random people talking on an internet forum can tank a stock, then the stock is overvalued.